PDA

View Full Version : How much of "5150" did DAVE write?

Nickdfresh
06-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Last night I lay awake in bed trying to think of what the name of the the DAVID LEE ROTH version of "Summer Nights" was called. I've heard it was essentially the same song (Dave's harmonies and all) sans the teeny-feel-good lyrics.

I think SARGE once posted what the DLR version is called, but I have forgotten.

Does anybody have these outtakes? Are there any bootlegs of the supposed three ROTH songs that he obviously had input to on "51-Crappy?" Did he ever get any dough for it?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/VHagar5150.jpg

superdave
06-24-2005, 04:18 PM
I read a post earlier that said something about "Good Enough" was written with Dave in mind??

nosuchluck
06-24-2005, 04:19 PM
'summer nights' was called 'eat thy neighbour'...i think...

Nickdfresh
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
'summer nights' was called 'eat thy neighbour'...i think... '

THAT's IT! Thanks, five-motherfucking-stars your way!

Guitar Shark
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
The answer is 17%.

Nickdfresh
06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
The answer is 17%.

Outstanding! I was also wondering last night if he tried to take any of the material to make a EUASB version to directly compete?

But I suppose WARNER BROS. would have squashed that.

bobgnote
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
DLR didn't give a shit by 5150, REALLY! He needs a new percentage.

Crazy question is, does he want to ease down his unit sales and RETIRE to an endless farewell tour, like KISS, or does he want to do hot, new tunes, with the hardest of the CVH and some covers if DLR Army songs ain't for a new act? I must admit, I bought no DLR, post CVH. That CV is a NAVY thing. Guess he wants THAT to sail away.

bueno bob
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Outstanding! I was also wondering last night if he tried to take any of the material to make a EUASB version to directly compete?

But I suppose WARNER BROS. would have squashed that.

Undoubtedly. Combat Records barely let Mustaine get away with his version of "Mechanix" after it showed up on Metallica's "Kill 'em All" as "The Four Horsemen" - and when Mustaine signed on to Capitol, the answer for any original versions was a resounding "No", so I'd imagine Warner would have certainly followed suit.

Bill Lumbergh
06-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I still laugh at how Metallica milked Mustaine songs for two fucking records.

zeronumber
06-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I highly doubt he got any royalties from it...Hell, Dave had to sue vh a few years back because they were fucking him over on the catalog he was on!!!

mentalpancake
06-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Undoubtedly. Combat Records barely let Mustaine get away with his version of "Mechanix" after it showed up on Metallica's "Kill 'em All" as "The Four Horsemen" - and when Mustaine signed on to Capitol, the answer for any original versions was a resounding "No", so I'd imagine Warner would have certainly followed suit.
I think Mechanix is better than The Four Horsemen, lyricswise at least considering the music is the same fucking thing. I noticed they were the same song a few days ago, actually. My dad is going through this big Megadeth phase and downloaded a bunch of their stuff and when I first heard it, all I could think was "This is The Four Horsemen...only not."

Panamark
06-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Dave Mustaine invented Metallica, no doubts !

thome
06-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Speed metal no doubt

mentalpancake
06-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
:rockit2:Yes, I believe he did.:D

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-25-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
'summer nights' was called 'eat thy neighbour'...i think...

Cool fuckin' song title!

SNIPER
06-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I still laugh at how Metallica milked Mustaine songs for two fucking records.

But I will say Master is the best album they ever put out, no Mustaine on that one.

VHdamaco
06-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by SNIPER
But I will say Master is the best album they ever put out, no Mustaine on that one.

actually, mustaine went to court with metallica because he said he came up with the main riff to leper messiah, and they didn't give him credit...

Terry
06-27-2005, 11:39 AM
From what I've read, Roth had several rehearsals with Van Halen in the winter and early spring of 1985, but have never read anything confirming that any of those were recorded, even in a demo form. Ed had said that Dave had heard 3 of the tunes that ended up on 5150.

If Roth did manage to come up with any lyrics to any of the 5150 stuff, seems obvious that they didn't end up on the Van Hagar versions.

Bill Lumbergh
06-27-2005, 11:41 AM
I remember hearing Dave say there WERE demo's, and that he wrote some of the melodies that actually ended up on 5150(on Howard Stern in the early 90's).