X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottydabodi
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

Roth in Atlantic City -The Review

After reading the reviews of Kahunaville, I was nervous about this show, but much to my delight DAVE KICKED ASS. I don't know what the hell y'all are talking about when you say Brian Young is over-rated cuz that dude rips.

The show was started in typical fashion with "Hot for Teacher", then these dudes rocked ass through most of the Classic Van Halen catalog. Of the tunes played, "And the Cradle Will Rock", "Somebody Get Me A Doctor", and "Unchained" stood out as the high points.

The low points were not the band, but the fans... I expected to see a great amount of support for Dave at this show. And, yes, there were about 1500 or so people, but that's in a place that holds 3000. Now maybe people didn't want to sit in 4 hours of traffic like I did, but I found the audience to be disappointing. I only saw ONE "David Lee Roth is Van Halen" T-Shirt on some guy that didn't seem too chatty. Whatever, the point is Dave sang GREAT, and the band kicked ass, and the people who were there saw a great show from a one-of-a-kind.

Brian Young smoked through Classic VH like a hot knife through butter, while Dave nailed High-Pitched screams and killer vocal harmonies("Panama"). A five-star show. Dave was having a blast onstage, crackin' jokes, high-fivin' the guys in the band. Onstage they were havin' fun, and I'm VERY pleased to have been there.

If you missed it, well, you're lame...
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules
  • canadiandlrgirl
    Full Member Status

• May 2005

awesome review Scotty...
    i never had any doubt about Dave.....
    Dave and his band are tight

Comment

• scottydabodi
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by canadiandlrgirl
      awesome review Scotty...
      i never had any doubt about Dave.....
      Dave and his band are tight
      They rocked

How u babe?
      If you listen to fools
      The Mob Rules

Comment

• scottydabodi
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

I forgot to mention one of the most important things about the AC show, the opening band, Sacred Sword, sucked in ways no other band has sucked before, or SINCE...

Complete amateur-hour nonsense from guys who can't play. The guitarist(s) sound like they've NEVER picked up a guitar before. The drummer can't play drums, and the singer was practically inaudible, which I am grateful for. The "songs" were essentially just a bunch of poorly-executed waves to the other guys in the band to let them know who was to take a "solo". The solos all sucked, btw. A piss-poor excuse for an opening band... I would've ALMOST rather seen Eric Sardinas... ALMOST.

Know the enemy, and Sacred Sword is the enemy of good music.
        If you listen to fools
        The Mob Rules

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Hey, im glad to hear you liked the show...

Like I said, maybe Dave was saving up his energy at Kahunaville for the AC show...

And Brian Young IS overrated...in my opinion.
          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• scottydabodi
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
            I still wish Jason Becker was in good health, HE'S the guy, but Brian has rocked ass everytime I've seen him... God only knows when the last time Eddie played "Dance the Night Away", Brian plays it every night... Great show though, I'm sorry to here that Kahunaville was lame...
            If you listen to fools
            The Mob Rules

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

sticky for ya scotty...
              Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by scottydabodi
                I'm sorry to here that Kahunaville was lame...
                I never said that it was lame.

It was adequate.

Something was missing though.....

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Roth in Atlantic City -The Review

After reading the reviews of Kahunaville, I was nervous about this show,
                  wait, I posted my review of Kahunaville earlier this afternoon...the AC show was last night...

Comment

• canadiandlrgirl
                    Full Member Status

• May 2005

They rocked

How u babe?
                    Dave da man...
                    and i'm fine...hows u?

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2004

glad you enjoyed the show scotty

do you have any pics?
                      “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                        PA, pls expound on that, if you don't mind....

I'm not a guitarist, per se, but I'd like to think in my old age that I know how a good guitarist sounds....

I saw Brian twice during the Spam/Dave tour and I thought he was outstanding in his position, which of course was Ed riffs....

Thanks...
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Polk High
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

I thought he did Just like Paradise much much better than he did on his previous tours. Same old setlist, but still one of the greatest shows I've ever been to. I also liked California Girls and gigilo this time around better than in the past. Not one song played after `88 as usual, like people around me said: he plays what people want to hear. I agree but would love to hear a newer song thrown in there from time to time.

The whole band was amazing as usual.

I thought the crowd was into very much into it and rocked almost everyone was singing along and jumping around and seemed to really enjoy the show. I don't know what that other dude is saying, so a lot of people didn't wear roth shirts (I didn't and I never do to his concerts.) Thats like rule number 1: Do not wear a t-shirt of the performer you are going to see to that very show. I was chatting w/ others that weren't wearing roth shirts and they were just as into the show as those wearing "david lee roth is van halen shirt."
                          Don't judge a crowd by what they are wearing, remember we're in AC where there are other things to do other than see Dave (although he was the highlight.)

I think roth looks like he is 15 years younger w/ the short hair and he still moves great. My girlfried did point out that he was wearing very sparkly shoes. His voice sounds as great as ever especially because it is early on in the tour. Not many jumps at all. He also appologized for hitting a security guard in the face w/ his mike at the end of the show and he thanked the sound crew (never heard him do that before).
                          The thing that I agree the most w/ the roth t-shirt fetish dude is that the opening band sucked ass. They won a battle of the bands competition??????? Who else was in that battle and were they picked as a joke? The lead singer had a gut bigger than mine and the drummer looked like he was going to pass out at any moment. The lead guitar player I think was just given a guitar that wasn't plugged in because he has no idea what to do w/ it. He "shredded" like a little kid does on his very first guitar. Everyone was running around waving flags and shit except for the much younger rhythm guitar player (who actually appeared as if he could play his instrument as we could hear his solo). They were worth the price of admission to see a band that bad play, I think I could put a band better than that together.

Hey t-shirt guy, i'm just messin w/ ya. peace.
                          We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• Polk High
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

Oh and we did pretty good in AC the next two days
                            We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              PA, pls expound on that, if you don't mind....

I will in the Kahunavill review thread...

Comment

Working...