Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    • Jan 2004

Gas prices go down to $0.70 a gallon

Okay, well maybe not gas, but fuel nevertheless. By going biodiesel, you will:

- increase national decurity by lowering our dependence on foreign and domestic oil

- support American agriculture instead of some terrorist, and our own corruptible oil-marinated politicians

- reduce major greenhouse gases:
    - CO2 cut by 70%
    - unburned hydrocarbons (HC's) by 50%
    - particulate matter (PM's) by 90% (which contribute to "brown cloud" & asthma problems)
    - Zero sulfur so no SO2 acid rain- however, oxides of nitrogen (NOX) emissions typically increase by a mere 2%, but that's well worth the trade-off in other emissions!

- have performance cleaner than dino-diesel, gasoline, LPG, or CNG. Only slow, limited range all-electric vehicles and too-expensive hydrogen performs better.

- have increased engine life due to it's far superior lubricity over finite petroleum-based fuels. Just 1% blended with regular diesel increases lubricity by 65%.

- have 100% domestically grown fuel- which in turn creates American jobs.

- have fuel that has, unlike petroleum, a biodegradable level of sugar, and less toxic than table salt. But beware hunger pangs, because the nearly smokeless exhaust smells yummy like french fries.

- have fuel that has a "closed carbon cycle" or "carbon neutral", meaning what little emissions are produced are readily consumed by the next generation of crops. In fact, during their growth cycle, soybean plants absorb between 4 to 6 times the CO2 created by burning biodiesel fuel. Yes, it actually reverses greenhouse-gas buildup thus mitigating global-warming every mile you drive!

- have fuel that is completely interchangeable with standard #2 diesel, so it can be mixed right in the tank to any proportion. Absolutely no expensive engine conversion/modification is necessary to make it run. Any stock diesel can burn it today.

- have the only alternative fuel to have passed both Tier 1 and 2 requirements of the EPA. It's also endorsed by the Department of Energy for military and commercial diesel fleets.

- support your local economy and creat jobs because it can be produced locally on any scale.

- support USA farmers and agribusiness instead of oil sheiks, terrorists, and wealthy fossil-fuel promoting politicians.

Why didn't Bush wake up and see this instead of wanting to go straight to Alaska?
    sigpic
  • freak
    Sniper
    • May 2004

We're looking into BioDiesel now for fleet vehicles.

It's no longer a question of if, but when.

Comment

• freak
      Sniper
      • May 2004

Re: Gas prices go down to $0.70 a gallon

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
      http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html

Why didn't Bush wake up and see this instead of wanting to go straight to Alaska?
      People have been pushing it for years. The administration in charge has nothing to do with it. As long as the oil companies dig in their heels, it won't get anywhere - At least on a large scale.

That said, there *ARE* places where you can get the stuff now.

We just talked to a company that will deliver a tanker right to your door and give you what you want. Means nothing to the average Joe, but its' a start.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Biodiesel is the way to go.....damn they have cars that run on hemp and even water...

Comment

• Steve Savicki
          • Jan 2004

Cock, do you have a link to some of these cars?
          sigpic

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

I read about this in Popular Mechanics they said this could happen at least with in the next 25 years. I would love to see this happen I mean you kill three birds with one stone, You solve the oil problem, the average American Farmer makes more money, and are energy supply is safe from terriosts because its not in there back yard. Unfortunately I can imagine one of the big oil companies trying to block this. We really should try to phase this in. One question would this Work on Commercial Airliners, and Rockets for the space program?
            Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Not only should the oil companies be prevented from blocking this, they MUST be prevented from owning the industry which does emerge.

I have NO sympathy for Exxon, Chevron, Shell, or BP and will happily dance on their corporate graves. Those companies have harmed this planet with war and greed long enough, and deserve to go under.

Biodiesel is viable now with existing technology. The only shortage is the fuel itself. Dropping the archaic laws against industrialized hemp would be a great help in this, though biodiesel can be made from used vegetable oil (which is why exhaust from BD vehicles often smells like french fries- french fries were probably cooked in the very same oil previously. So where ever there's a fast food joint with a deep fryer, there's a source of biodiesel.

Pretty cool huh?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                • Jan 2004

Hopefully this biodiesel solution will cause conservatives to see some light.
                sigpic

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  So where ever there's a fast food joint with a deep fryer, there's a source of biodiesel.

Pretty cool huh?
                  yeah, but they don't always throw out a big quantity of oil. a lot of it is cleaned/filtered and recycled back into the fryers.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I believe this is part of the reason why New York State has repealed the ban on diesel powered passenger cars like the Volkswagon TDI. Of course this ban was a joke anyway since the TDI's (Jetta, Passant, & Golf) emissions are far below that a tracker trailer.

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                      Hopefully this biodiesel solution will cause conservatives to see some light.
                      As a conservative, it is always about $$ for me (If I hear my detractors correctly). The energy problem has intrigued me for a long time and it represents a huge opportunity, to big to ignore, oil companies or not.

I have heard conflicting reports about bio stuff though, although I have not had enough time (too busy surviving in my own business politicians don't care about) to really put effort into it. The knock I have heard on bio products, corn based in particular, is that the supply is tough to produce (conversion process) and susecptible to a whole host of other ills which would spike prices (i.e. dust bowls, crop failures etcc..). The demand for energy is constantly going up so whatever the solution becomes will have to have excess capacity for increased demand over time. Are you confident biodiesel can handle it?

Comment

• kentuckyklira
                        Veteran
                        • Sep 2004

Biodiesel is available most everywhere in Germany.

That´s one of the good things you get from having the Green Party being a part of the government!
                        http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          yeah, but they don't always throw out a big quantity of oil. a lot of it is cleaned/filtered and recycled back into the fryers.
                          It's true that fast food places do filter oil and re-use it, but that can only be done so many times, as the grease (like any oil) gets darker every time it's heated. That can't be filtered out, as it's a chemical change.

When I worked at Skippers back in the mid 80's, we would start a new block of grease in the first fryer, filter the fryers every night, cycling the grease into the next one, and on the 5th day, after going through all the fryers, the grease was pumped out into a tank outside.

If you use grease much longer than that, the color of your food will look like shit, and probably won't sell very well. Not to mention the local health department probably won't be too happy.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            It's true that fast food places do filter oil and re-use it, but that can only be done so many times, as the grease (like any oil) gets darker every time it's heated. That can't be filtered out, as it's a chemical change.

When I worked at Skippers back in the mid 80's, we would start a new block of grease in the first fryer, filter the fryers every night, cycling the grease into the next one, and on the 5th day, after going through all the fryers, the grease was pumped out into a tank outside.

If you use grease much longer than that, the color of your food will look like shit, and probably won't sell very well. Not to mention the local health department probably won't be too happy.
                            I've heard McDonalds reuses their grease more so than others. And that's why, as much as I hate Mickey-D's, their fries are so damn good.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

French fries always get the new oil, because they can be light in color. I've never worked at Mickey D's but I'm guessing they have one fryer for the french fries (and maybe apple pies) and another for the chicken mc nuggets, which use the older grease.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...