• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Chopper Carrying A SEAL Team Shot Down

U.S. Helicopter Crashes in Afghanistan
    U.S. Military Transport Helicopter Crashes in Afghanistan; Taliban Claims Responsibility

A U.S. Army CH-47 Chinook helicopter. A U.S. CH-47 Chinook transport helicopter crashed Tuesday June 28, 2005 while flying troops into eastern Afghanistan, and the fate of those on board was not immediately known, the military said.

KABUL, Afghanistan Jun 28, 2005 — A U.S. CH-47 Chinook transport helicopter, which a U.S. official said may have been carrying 15 to 20 people, crashed Tuesday while ferrying reinforcements for counterterrorism operations in eastern Afghanistan. The Taliban claimed responsibility.

The fate of those on board the helicopter, which crashed near Asadabad in Kunar province, was not immediately known, the U.S. military said. A statement said the cause of the crash was unclear, as was the number of people on board.

Other helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft were deployed to the site, the military said. U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Jerry O'Hara had no other details.

A U.S. military official said early reports received in Washington indicated 15 to 20 people were on board. There was no word on their condition, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because it involved initial operational reports on the incident.

Provincial Gov. Asadullah Wafa told The Associated Press that the Taliban downed the aircraft with a rocket. He gave no other details.

Purported Taliban spokesman Mullah Latif Hakimi called the AP before news of the crash was released and claimed that the rebels shot the helicopter down.

Hakimi often calls news organizations to claim responsibility for attacks on behalf of the Taliban. His information has sometimes proven untrue or exaggerated, and his exact tie to the group's leadership is unclear.

The crash was the second of a Chinook helicopter in Afghanistan this year. On April 6, 15 U.S. service members and three American civilians were killed when their chopper went down in a sandstorm while returning to the main U.S. base at Bagram.

The U.S. military has launched operations in several areas along the border with Pakistan. Those offensives target remnants of al-Qaida and the hard-line Taliban movement, as well as foreign fighters using high mountain passes to cross over from Pakistan.

Tuesday's crash comes after three months of unprecedented fighting that has killed about 465 suspected insurgents, 29 U.S. troops, 43 Afghan police and soldiers, and 125 civilians.

The violence has left much of Afghanistan off-limits to aid workers and has reinforced concerns that the war here is escalating into a conflict on the scale of that in Iraq.

Afghan and U.S. officials have predicted that the situation will deteriorate in the lead-up to legislative elections in September the next key step toward democracy after a quarter-century of war.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

The update I heard on TV (ABC News) is that a SEAL team was on board, and that some may have survived the crash and were executed by Taliban guerillas.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-28-2005, 06:41 PM.
  • kentuckyklira
    Veteran
    • Sep 2004

"Mission Accomplished"
    http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by kentuckyklira
      "Mission Accomplished"
      Why would you say that? You know, it was EURO-Leftists that bitched the most about the TALIBAN for years before 9/11. Somehow I don't think anything was "Accomplished."

And you're well aware that your troops are there also, do you root for them to get wasted in large numbers?

Comment

• kentuckyklira
        Veteran
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Why would you say that? You know, it was EURO-Leftists that bitched the most about the TALIBAN for years before 9/11. Somehow I don't think anything was "Accomplished."

And you're well aware that your troops are there also, do you root for them to get wasted in large numbers?
        No, I don´t.

I root for people seeing clearly where the true threats were and are. For people to see clearly who has since focused on completely other things. Who then claimed the mission was accomplished, and who since hasn´t had the decency to stand up and admit he has made some first class mistakes!

That´s what I root for.

BTW, no member of my government ever gave us any bullshit like "mission accomplished". Maybe cos they´re a bit more honest to their citizens.
        http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

No, I don´t.

I root for people seeing clearly where the true threats were and are. For people to see clearly who has since focused on completely other things. Who then claimed the mission was accomplished, and who since hasn´t had the decency to stand up and admit he has made some first class mistakes!

That´s what I root for.

BTW, no member of my government ever gave us any bullshit like "mission accomplished". Maybe cos they´re a bit more honest to their citizens.
          Afghanistan and Iraq are two different issues, there were actually terrorists in Afghanistan on 2001, and the Islamic Caliphate the Taliban were trying to implement was as dangerous as anything. Mission Accomplished was never uttered about Afghanistan, and it was largely Afghans in The Northern Alliance that did the fighting, not US tank divisions, which is how it should be!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Yeah, like the Oil-For-Food scandal money that Gerhard lined his wallet with. He did that through starvation of tens of thousands of Iraqi children....you enabled that. Sleep well at night.
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Guitar Shark
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

We're still at war in Afghanistan? I'd forgotten! I thought Iraq was the poster child for the war on terror.

I hope the troops survived the crash.
              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...