Why Was There No Applause From Troops During Bush's Speech?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Why Was There No Applause From Troops During Bush's Speech?

NPR Congressional Correspondent David Greene reflects on President Bush's televised speech Tuesday night on the situation in Iraq.

Pennsylvania Avenue
    By David Greene
    Soldiers Lend Somber Tone to Iraq Speech

“ Polls showed most who saw the speech had a positive reaction. Now the question is whether enough people saw it to make a difference in the overall level of public support for the war. ”

NPR.org, June 29, 2005 · The White House carefully chose its backdrop for President Bush's Tuesday night address on Iraq. It was Fort Bragg, a sprawling Army base in central North Carolina. The president's audience du jour was 700 soldiers.

But to Americans watching Mr. Bush on television, he may as well have been at a convention hall in Washington. Through most of the speech, all viewers saw was the president speaking in front of a stage-style blue backdrop with American flags. The men and women in uniform were not visible except in occasional cutaway shots.

Most striking was the eerie silence in the room. There were no shouts of HOOAH -- the military salute -- and only a single burst of applause during the 28-minute speech (it came after the president said, "We will stay in the fight until the fight is won").

Compare that to his triumphant speech aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003, when he spoke in front of a crowd of sailors and announced that major combat operations in Iraq had ended. "The United States and our allies have prevailed," he declared.

That address was interrupted 22 times by raucous applause from the service men and women on deck with the president. And the military setting was front and center.

Many times since then, the president has appeared at bases around the country with uniformed personnel lined up as a backdrop on stage.

It wasn't clear at Fort Bragg on Tuesday night whether the White House had choreographed the scene for respectful silence and a somber mood -- or, whether the soldiers in attendance were just caught up in the speech and taking their cues from the president's own solemn tone.

Afterwards, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said he had seen just what he expected. "It's not the kind of speech where you're out there in a rally," he explained. "It was a serious address to the nation."

Still, the White House had allotted 40 minutes for the remarks. Without the applause that may have been anticipated, Mr. Bush wrapped up in just 28 minutes.

Whether the mood of the evening was one that the White House planned or one it encountered, it underscored the position in which Mr. Bush finds himself.

He gave the speech he wanted to give to a primetime national audience -- all the broadcast TV networks carried it in full -- but said nothing new, and nothing likely to change the national mood about the war.

In polls, clear majorities of Americans say they think the United States is bogged down in Iraq, and that the president and his team have been disingenuous in their rosy assessments. Even those who support the war are less upbeat about it than in the past.

With the benefit of two years of hindsight, his triumphant speech on the deck of the Abraham Lincoln has become a painful memory. And with the benefit of just a few weeks of hindsight, Vice President Dick Cheney's observation that the insurgency in Iraq is in its "last throes" seems to have backfired.

So Mr. Bush seemed to acknowledge the need for more empathy and sensitivity.

"Like most Americans, I see the images of violence and bloodshed," he said. "Every picture is horrifying, and the suffering is real. Amid all this violence, I know Americans ask the question: Is the sacrifice worth it? It is worth it, and it is vital to the future security of our country."

Democrats picked apart the Fort Bragg speech. They said the president didn't offer anything in the way of a plan or exit strategy. And they complained that he resorted to the dubious link between Iraq and al Qaeda, attempting to drum up support for the Iraq campaign by recalling horrific memories of Sept. 11.

This time, however, it would be hard to criticize the president for being rosy. And indeed, his personal demeanor was not so sanguine as usual.

Before his address, Mr. Bush spent three hours meeting quietly in small rooms with nearly 100 family members of soldiers who trained at Fort Bragg and have since perished in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One widow gave the president a bracelet, with the engraved names of her late husband and another soldier who died on the same day in Iraq. She asked the president to wear the bracelet during his address, and he did.

On the flight home aboard Air Force One, McClellan brought the bracelet back to show reporters, as if to demonstrate the personal connection the president had made with grieving families on the base.

It was a sobering end to a day that had begun with great feelings of anticipation and excitement over the Commander-in-Chief's visit to Fort Bragg.

When a plane filled with reporters and White House staff arrived at the base hours earlier in the day, soldiers acted as eager tour guides. A bus carried the visitors from the air strip across the base, with an Army major named Amy Hannah pointing out places of interest.

She informed reporters that some of the military musicians who would warm up the crowd before the president arrived had appeared on Jay Leno's show recently. In a festival-like atmosphere before the presidential address, a military choir sang a hit song by pop country star Toby Keith.

But once the president arrived, walking to the lectern alone and asking his audience to be seated, the room fell silent as a memorial service and remained so for 28 minutes.

Was this the impression the White House bargained for? The day after, it did not seem to matter. Polls showed most who saw the speech had a positive reaction. Now the question is whether enough people saw it to make a difference in the overall level of public support for the war.[IMG]http://[/IMG]
  • thome
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Mar 2005

that is the stangest bit o ritin i ever seen. o its a OP ED.ok

Comment

• blueturk
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." — George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

There was no applause because the audience was all military men.

You are not supposed to interrupt your Commander-in-Chief when he's talking.

Can they scrape the bottom of the barrel any more?

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I don't know War, I've seen PLENTY of speeches by presidents to military audiences where there was LOTS of applause. Especially when the president says something that hits the military audience close to home -- like extending benefits, etc.

I think there really is something to this story. I have a couple of family members in the military. Until recently, they were staunchly conservative. They are still conservative, and voted for Bush -- twice -- and now, they can't stand him. It's a remarkable thing, and it's happening all over the country.

I don't think it's permanent (yet), but it could become so if this administration continues down the arrogant path it has pursued from day one.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
            I don't know War, I've seen PLENTY of speeches by presidents to military audiences where there was LOTS of applause. Especially when the president says something that hits the military audience close to home -- like extending benefits, etc.

I think there really is something to this story. I have a couple of family members in the military. Until recently, they were staunchly conservative. They are still conservative, and voted for Bush -- twice -- and now, they can't stand him. It's a remarkable thing, and it's happening all over the country.

I don't think it's permanent (yet), but it could become so if this administration continues down the arrogant path it has pursued from day one.
            I agree and I think it has to do with that moron Rumsfeld.

He is simply a number-cruncher when is comes to getting the job done and shows no regard for the human side of the equation.

Bush should have shit-canned him long ago.

Better yet, he never should have hired him.

It's just like the President's speech the other night when he said the theater commanders are free to ask for more troops to get the job done if they feel that's what they need. BULLSHIT. Rumsfeld would fire their ass in a heartbeat if they asked for more troops. Would cost too much money. They're too afraid to ask for another division or two to be sent over there for awhile.
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Perhaps, but I assumed it was proper protocol not to interrupt.

Could be that I'm mistaken.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham

But then wouldn't the same protocol have applied at the "Mission Accomplished" photo op on the USS Lincoln?
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Was that a formal dress occassion?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham

Jesus, first Brian....and now you

Since when did you neo-con shitbags start becoming so reasonable and open minded

I think the more we learn, the more "common ground" we are going to find ourselves on.

This path we've been taken down is against ALL OF OUR interests.
                    Originally posted by Kristy
                    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                    Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Comment

• Keeyth
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2004

LOL!! 'neo-con shitbags'.. ...and you say it so nicely!

Yes, the more they learn about their precious Bush, the more they are going to realize we have been right about him all along, and that is where the common ground increases.

However, they have an awful hard time admitting they were wrong about monkey-boy Bush. Oh well...
                        Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                          It's just like the President's speech the other night when he said the theater commanders are free to ask for more troops to get the job done if they feel that's what they need. BULLSHIT. Rumsfeld would fire their ass in a heartbeat if they asked for more troops. Would cost too much money. They're too afraid to ask for another division or two to be sent over there for awhile.
                          You are correct, gw's statements were bullshit. But not because rummy WOULD fire generals who asked for more troops, but because he ALREADY DID two years ago.
                          gnaw on it

Comment

• Mezro
                            Full Member Status

• May 2004

There was no applause because the troops know Bush is full of shit.

Mezro...so does a majority of the world...
                            Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• ODShowtime
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

just not a majority of the US
                              gnaw on it

Comment

Working...