PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Show I've Ever Seen

SloBurn
06-30-2005, 12:40 AM
:rockit: The year was 1988 and Dave and his band FINALLY got around to touring Australia with the Skyscraper tour. Unfortunately, by that time Billy Sheehan had left the group but Dave and Steve Vai were still sparking off each other.

To this day it is still probably the best concert i have witnessed in sheer showmanship, effects and pure OTT Dave-ness.

In comparison, when i finally got to see Van Halen, it was on the VHIII tour. When was that?? 97? 98? And it was the first time they had ever made it to Australia!! I take that as a reflection of EVH's regard for the countless Aussie VH fans. The show was alright, as Cherone played FAR more CVH songs than Spammy would. I always had the feeling that Spam was aware of how his era songs would stack up in comparison to CVH.

Rock On Diamond Dave!!!

Dave's PA Rental
06-30-2005, 12:53 AM
goodonya slowburn!

scottydabodi
06-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Damn good times... damn good post too!! 5 stars for ya SLOBURN!!

Roth on!!

SloBurn
06-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Sheesh, thanks guys!

SloBurn
06-30-2005, 01:01 AM
The best bit was when, after Vai's solo, he abseiled down from the roof into a boxing ring at the back of the arena and sung Panama! Then he did the surfboard thing for California Girls. Magic stuff!

ashstralia
06-30-2005, 01:09 AM
hey slo! i saw 'em in canberra (front row)
and sydney. fkn awesome. 5 stars bro!!!

SloBurn
06-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Yes!!! Mine was in Sydney too!!! Thanx man

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by SloBurn
The best bit was when, after Vai's solo, he abseiled down from the roof into a boxing ring at the back of the arena and sung Panama! Then he did the surfboard thing for California Girls. Magic stuff!

MAN! Now that's a show!!

They don't make 'em like Dave anymore.

DUNN28
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Best concert I have seen was the Women and Children first tour.
there was a group that opened for VH called the Cats people were so pumped up for Vh they were throwing firecrackers and shit at them (somehow that group played there set )then the boys came out and jammed.
1984 was also a great show we stayed at the same hotel as VH and I
got to meet Diamond Dave man was he hammered he tried to take like 13 chicks who were waiting all night just to see him up to his room but the security gaurd wouldnt let it go.

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 01:17 PM
May 10th 1984 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.

My first real concert. In all my life so far, I have not seen one better. It was the standard to which I held all future concerts, and while many have been great, there has been none greater.

Drove up with a bunch of buddies and some chicks in about four cars doing speeds of up to 100 mph on 280 just to get to the parking lot and tailgate party for 4 or 5 hours before the show. Talk about an off the hook party!

When we finally went to get in line, the line going into the Palace went in a big square about 100ft x 100ft with a single garbage can sitting in the middle. People were hurling glass bottles as high into the air as they could trying to make a basket in the can. Meanwhile, drunk as f**k morons were making the dash right across the middle of the square amidst all the broken glass in a mindless streak of glory I guess.

I remember a big drama between two of my buds about this chick, and she didn't go home with the one she came with, and all this transpired while waiting in the drunken, stoned line...

Inside the show, they had this band called The Velcros I think, playing and they were the worst thing I had ever heard. People were throwing everything they could throw at them. VH had a reputation back in the day for hiring lame openers so as not to detract from their show. Well, they needn't have worried.

All of the sudden, the lights go down...

There is an explosion of light, and I see this blonde, long haired wild man jump 20 feet into the air and do the splits, touching both his feet with his hands and arms outstretched... ...an onslaught of music and sound as his background... ...and I have never been the same person since.

And from then on it has been Dave or the Grave, baby!!

Rock on Classic Van Halen!! May you again rise from the ashes one day!!

diamondsgirl
06-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SloBurn
:rockit: The year was 1988 and Dave and his band FINALLY got around to touring Australia with the Skyscraper tour. Unfortunately, by that time Billy Sheehan had left the group but Dave and Steve Vai were still sparking off each other.

To this day it is still probably the best concert i have witnessed in sheer showmanship, effects and pure OTT Dave-ness.

In comparison, when i finally got to see Van Halen, it was on the VHIII tour. When was that?? 97? 98? And it was the first time they had ever made it to Australia!! I take that as a reflection of EVH's regard for the countless Aussie VH fans. The show was alright, as Cherone played FAR more CVH songs than Spammy would. I always had the feeling that Spam was aware of how his era songs would stack up in comparison to CVH.

Rock On Diamond Dave!!!

Nice post, and welcome.

Did they bust out the steel drums at this show?

SloBurn
06-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah I think Greg Bissonette did his steel drum thing, but to tell the truth, i was so buzzed to see Dave I don't rightly remember. Plus it's been what.....17 years and a lot of partying since then!

Roth on!!!

moose
06-30-2005, 10:59 PM
August 1981, Fair Warning Tour,
Fuckin AWSOME!!!!!!

DLRisGOD
06-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Keeyth, that story gave me goosebumps!! 5-Stars bro!

SloBurn
07-01-2005, 12:01 AM
The other neartest was Faith No More on the Angel Dust tour. Or maybe Alice In Chains w/ Suicidal Tendencies. I would give my left testical to have seen CVH but alas what can i do? Eddie's a fuckhead so it will never happen.

Keeyth
07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by DLRisGOD
Keeyth, that story gave me goosebumps!! 5-Stars bro!

Cool man, thanks! 5 Back at ya!:D

guwapo_rocker
07-12-2005, 12:33 AM
bump

VonHalen
07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
man im gettin old