• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Novak: " I will reveal all"

Novak: 'I will reveal all'

Thursday, June 30, 2005; Posted: 4:21 p.m. EDT (20:21 GMT)

(CNN) -- Time Inc. announced Thursday it will turn over the subpoenaed records from journalist Matt Cooper regarding the leak of a CIA operative's name, following a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court not to hear an appeal in the case.

Cooper, Time's White House correspondent, and New York Times reporter Judith Miller are facing up to four months in jail for refusing to reveal their confidential sources in the matter to a grand jury.

Chicago Sun-Times columnist and CNN political analyst Bob Novak was the first to reveal the CIA employee's identity and CNN's Ed Henry spoke with Novak Wednesday about the ruling.

ED HENRY: Bob, first, what's your reaction to the Supreme Court saying they would not hear this case?

BOB NOVAK: Well, I deplore the thought of reporters -- I've been a reporter all my life -- going to jail for any period of time for not revealing sources, and there needs to be a federal shield law preventing that as there are shield laws in 49 out of 50 states. But, Ed, I -- my lawyer said I cannot answer any specific questions about this case until it is resolved, which I hope is very soon.

HENRY: In general, though, you believe in the principle of keeping the identity secret of confidential sources. Have you ever revealed the identity of one of your confidential sources?

NOVAK: Well, people know -- who have read my column know there have been special case[s] where I have. But the question of being coerced to by the government and being put in prison is, I think, something that should be protected by act of Congress.

HENRY: In general, have you cooperated with investigators in this case?

NOVAK: I can't answer any questions about this case at all.

HENRY: OK. Now, just in general about the principle at stake here -- William Safire, fellow conservative, wrote an op-ed in The New York Times saying that at the very least, he believes that you owe your readers, and in this case, your viewers, some explanation. He said, "Mr. Novak should finally write the column he owes readers and colleagues perhaps explaining how his two sources, who may have truthfully revealed themselves to investigators, managed to get the prosecutor off his back." I think that's the question. Why sit that there are two reporters out there who may go to jail, Bob, but it doesn't appear that you are going to go to jail?

NOVAK: Well, that's what I can't reveal until this case is finished. I hope it is finished soon. And when it does, I agree with Mr. Safire, I will reveal all in a column and on the air.

HENRY: Do you understand why in general there's frustration among fellow journalist[s] after 41 years of distinguished work, where you've always pushed and been a fierce advocate of the public's right to know, you're not letting the public know about such a critical case, and two people may go to jail.

NOVAK: Well, they are not going to jail because of me. Whether I answer your questions or not, it has nothing to do with that. That's very ridiculous to think that I am the cause of their going to jail. I don't think they should be going to jail.

HENRY: Yes. But I didn't say you were the cause. But there are some people...

NOVAK: Yes, you do did.

HENRY: No, but some people feel if you would come forward with the information that you have, that maybe they would not go to jail.

NOVAK: But you don't know -- Ed, you don't know anything about the case. And those people who say that don't know anything about the case. And unfortunately, as somebody who likes to write, I'd like to say a lot about the case, but because of my attorney's advice I can't. But I will. And there might be some surprising things.

HENRY: We'll all be waiting to hear that story finally told, Bob.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Place your Bets

Scooter Libby?

KKKarl Rove?

Who's W's "deep throat"

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

And I have feeling JimmyJeff GannonGuckert's name[s] are going to pop up in Novak's "details"

Grab the popcorn

Comment

• academic punk
        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I think this is a load of shit.

Because Novak is a piece of shit who's got his wn ulterior motives.

Probably tried to milk his source for some cash, and they couldn't come to terms, and now he's thinking about how lucrative a book deal could be.

Piece of shit.

Comment

• Phil theStalker
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
          Place your Bets

Scooter Libby?

KKKarl Rove?

Who's W's "deep throat"
          His dog.

It can talk.

And it's telling Bush to KILL, KILL, KILL.

It talks t2o Bush just like the Son of Sam's neighbor's dog talked t2o him and told him the same thing.

Damn dogs.

true dat

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• academic punk
            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
              I think this is a load of shit.

Because Novak is a piece of shit who's got his wn ulterior motives.

Probably tried to milk his source for some cash, and they couldn't come to terms, and now he's thinking about how lucrative a book deal could be.

Piece of shit.
              Joe Wilson deserves his revenge.

He once said he looked forward to seeing KKKarl being "frog-marched" in cuffs out of the west wing.

Novak's always been a tool. I hope he's blackballed for this.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/po...rtner=homepage
                From a/p's link:

....Since Mr. Novak appears not to be facing jail time, he presumably supplied information to Mr. Fitzgerald. It is not clear why that did not conclude the investigation. Mr. Fitzgerald and Mr. Novak have consistently declined to discuss the matter. .......

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Wot, noboody liked mmy talking dog joke?

SON-AFF-SAM in da White House.

Tit's no joke either.

I wonder aff da White House dog ever read War and Peace.

Someboody should ask dat dog.

He probably talks better than GW.

And...he has ESP.

Yeh, Bush just hears the dog talking t2o him IN HIS HEAD and he thinks it's HIS voice.

He should now it's not his voice in his head, because the dog doesn't studder.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Big Train
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I don't understand this and I admit to not following this as closely as I should. This guy Novak or one of these reporters actually NAMED a CIA undercover op? As in "Sally Jenkins, CIA op said this weekend in Panama..? Is that what happened?

If so, fry them. Jail them, no doubt. I have no problem if they want to play coy about where they got an accusation from or insider speculation. No problem. But once your in the realm of accessing confidential documents or naming names, fuck you. Your putting people at risk at that point to be a tough guy reporter.

Tell me if I am reading that incorrectly..

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                      I don't understand this and I admit to not following this as closely as I should. This guy Novak or one of these reporters actually NAMED a CIA undercover op? As in "Sally Jenkins, CIA op said this weekend in Panama..? Is that what happened?

If so, fry them. Jail them, no doubt. I have no problem if they want to play coy about where they got an accusation from or insider speculation. No problem. But once your in the realm of accessing confidential documents or naming names, fuck you. Your putting people at risk at that point to be a tough guy reporter.

Tell me if I am reading that incorrectly..
                      No, no, no, let me clear it up f4or you, Big Train.

The reporters didn't break any laws, but the people who gave the reporters the name of the woman broke the law.

And these reporters have "knowledge" of a person's name who broke the law by giving that name to the reporters.

So the reporters are going to jail, [U]because they havev "knowledge" of someo1ne who broke the law, and the courts decision is that these reporters can't shield a criminal and or criminal activites.

But wot aboot when a reporter is doing a story aboot crack dealers, the mafia, etc.. Those reporters have knowledge of people breaking the law, but the courts have never force a reporter to bear witness to a grand jury about big time, even Mafia, drug dealing and other crimes.

So it's a hypocritical court system.

O1ne of those reporters said t2oday that he will give the name of the White House "criminal" informant. That's going t2o open up a can-o-worms when that person's name comes out.

I hope it was Rice.

Then she can get canned and go to prison.

Bitch.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

So who said the name? Did anyone say the name of the CIA person on air?

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                          So who said the name? Did anyone say the name of the CIA person on air?
                          No, they just published tit in their newspaper.

And then EVERYBOODY else said da name on da radio and TV.

Butt there's MORE.

There wuz a MOTIVE.

The woman who's name was leaked by da White HOuse was talking against da administration so THEY leaked her name t2o da press T2O HARM HER.

They're TRUE evil bastards in da White House t2oday.

Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Big Train
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

ummm....print, TV or otherwise, ANYONE who makes the name public out to be doing jail time, regardless of how you feel about the administration.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                              Place your Bets

Scooter Libby?

KKKarl Rove?

Who's W's "deep throat"
                              Karl rove is the man behind the agenda. God your dense.
                              Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

Working...