PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary of 1984

TMR
03-08-2004, 09:29 PM
1984 sold over 10 MILLION Copies and it had a NUMBER ONE HIT with JUMP!

A 26 yr old guy at work came up to me and asked me if I had 1984 on CD? of course, and he said that's the greatest VAN HALEN cd of all time! It feels good inside when fans recognize DLR as VAN HALEN!!

Of course, I told him I had a better cd then that one! I guess will have to wait until 2006 to celebrate that cd!

Get this, guy's favorite song off of 1984
I"LL WAIT

Not a bad choice.....

Thanks DAVE for the supberb VIDEOS & MUSIC!

Catfish
03-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Let's celebrate by setting fire to Edward's worthless studio.

ian_doherty
03-08-2004, 11:42 PM
i think DAVE did his best vocals ever on "i'll wait"..

(i have a lighter)

Ally_Kat
03-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Go Jump!

Here's one to make y'all feel old - my mom used to play it for me when I was in the crib. No joke.

TMR
03-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Go Jump!

Here's one to make y'all feel old - my mom used to play it for me when I was in the crib. No joke.

Your mom has good taste....How old is she?.....LOL

miyabi
03-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi,Ally_Kat. Pleased to meet you, I'm miyabi in Japan.

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
my mom used to play it for me when I was in the crib. No joke.

Really!?
At the same time, I was performing "I'll wait" together with my friend ....ahh

Was your lullaby VH&DLR? It is a very great thing.
Does your mother like VH&DLR even now?

bukowsky
03-09-2004, 07:23 AM
I'll wait is a great song ... love it

Wayne L.
03-09-2004, 09:52 AM
When I bought 1984 20 years ago it was just another great rock album by a great rock band VH even though it was ridiculous the way the mainstream media was treating them like a fad of the moment because of the hit single Jump as Eddie & Dave being interviewed on GMA at the time which cracked me up. 1984 is the last great classic rock album with few equals joining other great classic rock albums like Abbey Road, Sicky Fingers, Led Zeppelin 4(Zoso), Paranoid, Machine Head, Rocks, Love Gun & Back In Black because it's creatively, musically, artistically & sonically a rock & roll masterpiece despite the fact that EVH & DLR weren't getting along personally & professionally.

Terry
03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Have always thought the only interesting thing about either Jump or I'll Wait were the lyrics.

1984, as many copies as it sold, was far from the classic lineups best effort. The music was starting to get soft, clearly aiming at the top 40.

Would never happen due to extreme overplay forever linking Jump to Halen and Roth, but if Dave never played that tune again live, or if Halen reunited and gave it a pass in concert, wouldn't miss it in the least.

Same goes for Panama, to a slightly lesser degree.

But then again, classic Halen did have their fair share of pop fluff (Dance the Night Away, Pretty Woman, Dancing In The Streets, Jump, I'll Wait). But just two of their best tracks, Romeo delight and Sinner's Swing, are enough to make me overlook the aforementioned weaker tracks.:pissl: :pissl: :blow: :pow: :elvis: