X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaun Ponsonby
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Oct 2004

Live 8, London-reflections

I'll be honest-I watched it all (except UB40, why would I?)

The Philli one is in the background, and Def Leppard have just come on.

London was actually much more entertaining than I thought it would be. Paul McCartney opened with U2 with 'Sgt Pepper', which has a fitting first line ("It was 20 years ago today..."), and U2 themselves played quite wel, the only song I remember them doing is 'Beautiful Day' and 'One', they did another, but I forget which. ELTON JOHN played with The Libertines' talentless asshole Pete Doherty. REM were very good. I remember them playing 'Everybody Hurts' and 'Man On The Moon', I forget the one they opened with.

PINK FLOYD was fan-fucking-tastic (you bet yo ass that I taped THAT). Other than Floyd, THE WHO made an appearence, which I don't remember being posted here. Let me tell you, they sounded as good as they ever did, better than they have in years. They played 'Who Are You?' and, my personal favourite, 'Wont Get Fooled Again'. Definately one of the highlights of the day, possibly the year. I would have thought they were impossible to follow, but then I remembered that PINK FUCKIN' FLOYD were following, they played 'Speak To Me/Breathe', 'Money', 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb'. Some words from Waters before WYWH "I'd just like to say that playing here with these 3 guys again is very emotional for me".

Although, I am not particulary fans of ROBBIE WILLIAMS and MADONNA, I'll say it, they were entertaining, and Williams certainly worked the audience, starting off with Queen's 'We Will Rock You', then getting the crowd bouncing to 'Let Me Entertain You' and singing 'Angels'. Madonna was preceeded by the girl from the video shown at Live Aid making an appearence, the one who was given 10 minutes to live (GELDOF: "Don't tell me that this doesn't work"), then Madonna sang 'Like A Prayer' to her. Madge then sang a fitting song, Music, which contains the lyrics "Music makes the people come together".

One guy who made a suprise appearence, and our own BILL would have been excited about this, GEORGE MICHAEL came on and sang 'Drive My Car' with Paul McCartney, he didn't do anything more, because apparently he has a head cold.

The only other REALLY rockin' band on the bill was VELVET REVOLVER. They went down well enough, but their material wasn't well known enough. I actually think that they should have done at least ONE Guns N Roses song, so that people would know at least ONE song, but they played a decent version of 'Do It For The Kids', a decent version of 'Fall To Pieces' and an excellent version of 'Slither'.

I suprised myself when I enjoyed STING and the SCISSOR SISTERS, but there's a first time for everything, I suppose (actually, I thought STING was good at LIVE AID as well).

The only performances from the other concerts that I have seen is Green Day, Roxy Music and Brian Wilson. Haven't yet seen DEEP PURPLE, MOTLEY CRUE, JET, so if anyone can tell me how they went...
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?
  • DLR7884
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I watched almost 5 hours of London online today, and I must say that you pretty much hit everything I was gonna say about the day in general.

DLR7884
    Except that Floyd should have closed the show and had a longer set.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Oct 2004

Floyd should have played ALL FUCKIN' DAY!

They should make today NATIONAL PINK FLOYD DAY.
      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
        Floyd should have played ALL FUCKIN' DAY!

They should make today NATIONAL PINK FLOYD DAY.
        Amen! but I think It should've been National The Who/Pink Floyd day. They were clearly the tow best artists out of the whole thing.
        Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• monkeythe
          Foot Soldier
          • Apr 2004

Floyd could have played all day but MTV would have only shown a few minutes of it and keep having Sway talk over whatever bits of the music they played and tell you how great it is and what a great job MTV is doing broadcasting the show

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
            Amen! but I think It should've been National The Who/Pink Floyd day. They were clearly the tow best artists out of the whole thing.
            Oh, yes. If it wasn't for the whole 'But, its Pink Floyd and they're reunited' attitude, I would definately say that that THE WHO were the best, no doubt in my mind. And, tommorrow, I'll probably dig out my copy of 'Whos Next?'
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• thome
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Mar 2005

I wasnt expecting much Roxy Music stood out too.Between the TV
              and AOL that was a really Really good time.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Oct 2004

Things started getting a lot more kick ass as it was getting darker I think.
                Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Unchainme
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by monkeythe
                  Floyd could have played all day but MTV would have only shown a few minutes of it and keep having Sway talk over whatever bits of the music they played and tell you how great it is and what a great job MTV is doing broadcasting the show
                  Yeah MTV probably would've done it too. I hate that Sway guy how'd the hell did he get a job as a V.J. same thing with that MC lyte chick and that on Rachel girl and the other weird guy from VH1 god they all suck.
                  Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• flappo
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                    i agree 100%

proves that modern rock acts just can't fucking hack it

and robbie's version of WWRY was just plain crap

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

Yup...all I'm intersted in is FLOYD. Terrible lineups across the board!
                      Thank god they weren't trying to raise money! Half those people I'd pay NOT to play.....or lip-sync!!!

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Shaun, did the BBC carry the whole London show live, or were you watching AOL with the rest of us?
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• flappo
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

it was live on bbc 1/2

my stupid recorder didn't record the who and floyd

but i'm sure it'll be out on dvd soon

i feel the who were let down a bit by the drummer , where was zakk ?

Comment

• Full Bug
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Just watched the Floyd set thanx to Limewire, what can I say, it was great, Roger Waters actually seemed to be enjoying himself, a classy move on his part mentioning Sid before Wish You Were Here, after all the lawsuits and crap they still got together for one night at least, and just played music and had fun, what a sad state that VH and Roth cant do the same, I cant think of a better place to have done it then yesterday....
                            By far the Floyd set blew away anything else I seen the entire day....
                            Get it on Limewire Flappo, no interruptions in the set either.....
                            Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Golden AWe
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

anybody know any free flips tp view on the internet`?

i was having a afterparty at my place and we saw the who andpink floyd etc, but i don't remember much of it...i was too pissed and getting on a 17-year old beauty
                              Originally posted by Cato
                              Golden, why are you FAT?
                              Originally posted by lesfunk
                              Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                              http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

Working...