PDA

View Full Version : Powell: Kerry Hurting Troop Morale

John Ashcroft
03-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Secretary of State Colin Powell said Monday that unduly harsh political attacks from likely Democratic nominee John Kerry are undermining the morale of U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Asked whether charges by Kerry and his supporters that Bush "lied" about and "hyped" pre-war intelligence are hurting the war effort, Powell told Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes," "It doesn't help."

While U.S. soldiers will continue to serve with honor no matter what, Powell said, "they want to know that the American people are supporting them."

He then warned, "Let's not misuse an issue for the purpose of political advantage in a way that will undercut the efforts of our brave young men and women out there or affect their morale."

The top Bush official also took issue with former Vice President Al Gore, who has accused President Bush of "betraying" America in going to war against Iraq, telling Sean Hannity that Gore's comments were "very disturbing."

"I mean, Vice President Gore was in an administration that believed there were weapons of mass destruction, to the extent that they bombed the facilities that they thought those weapons of mass destruction were in back in 1998.

"That was President Clinton and Vice President Gore," Powell emphasized.

"So to now scream that there is something wrong with the Bush Administration because we finished the job, as opposed to just have a four-day bombing campaign, and we've eliminated the problem forever, I think is incorrect."

Link: here (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/3/9/94039.shtml)

Of course, I don't know if I know the point the Secretary of State's trying to make. Kerry's (the male Jane Fonda, that is...) never ever been concerned with helping troop morale in wartime. Just ask his Vietnam Co-Veterens.

ELVIS
03-09-2004, 01:11 PM
I watched this interview at work last night. I'd like to see powell run for president. He's clear and concise on every issue and he has firm beliefs. Hannity did a good job too...

John Ashcroft
03-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Yeah, but the Dems think he should stick to the back of the Bus. You think he'd win?

ELVIS
03-09-2004, 01:44 PM
No.. Firm beliefs is a liberal oxymoron...

Wayne L.
03-09-2004, 03:03 PM
The truth of the matter is I don't think Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry is going to win the election anyway in November even though he won't admit it in public but Colin Powell has more balls than Kerry will ever have because he means what he says & says what he means most of the time instead of being indecisive.

ELVIS
03-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Isn't that what I just said ??

EAST COAST
03-10-2004, 10:22 AM
all kerry does is make himself look like a flip flop moron. he wont even come close this election. blowout like that of mondale and dukey of mass. he is really painting himself in a corner.

steve
03-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Brother-in-law just returned back from Iraq a month ago after being over there for a year and a half and he says a majority of the troops are fed up with Bush.

ELVIS
03-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Hmmm...

knuckleboner
03-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by EAST COAST
all kerry does is make himself look like a flip flop moron. he wont even come close this election. blowout like that of mondale and dukey of mass. he is really painting himself in a corner.

nope. bush may win, but the margin (either way) will be under 4%...

John Ashcroft
03-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Well, pretty much all of my friends in the military don't share that sentiment. Many of them are still over in Oman and Saudi. In fact, I had a chit chat with a full Colonel the other day at a retirement ceremony (not his, he's the wing Commander). He also doesn't share that sentiment. In fact, I believe he shared my thoughts on this war. And he also shared my thoughts on how things go when Dems run national defense.

Now, this guy isn't a General, so he's not high enough to be a complete and total company man. He's about right in the middle. He's at the last rank where he interacts with troops on a daily basis (as do I by the way, as I've mentioned, most of my friends are still in the AF). He was pleased at how foreign policy is (finally) being taken seriously.

Anyway, he's just one 1st person example I can give you. But I figured since he was the Wing Commander and he hears it from all aspects, what better person to cite? Oh, and Dems haven't connected with the military since JFK (the first one, not John "F'ing" Kerry). You can try to convince us that your party has the military in it's best interest, but don't get discouraged when we all laugh at you.

ELVIS
03-10-2004, 11:24 AM
John Ashcroft
Veteran

Ford's Daddy

John Ashcroft
03-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Cool! Whoops, now it's 667...

BigBadBrian
03-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by steve
Brother-in-law just returned back from Iraq a month ago after being over there for a year and a half and he says a majority of the troops are fed up with Bush.

Just venting. I know all about it. :gulp:

steve
03-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Well John, statistics are probably on your side in this one...
however, another buddy of mine is applying to officer school for the air force and I can't tell you how many times I've heard him half-joke; "In the military, if you want to get anywhere, you say you're Republican". He's fairly liberal.

"Most" was probably not the most accurate word - but he did say a heck of a lot of guys he would talk to (he is in the Marines). However, people usually end of fraternizing with like-minded people...so.

There are a lot of angles to look at it with. But I think it would be fair to say there is more republican-incumbant president antipathy than usual in the military right now. I think, though, that it has to do more with the extremist nature of Bush the individual than a mass move towards liberalism in the armed forces.

The Log Cabin Republicans have mutanied, and it looks as if McCain will be next if the wire reports are true. Bush is painting himself into the corner of the religious right - and the mainstream elements of the GOP are abondoning ship.

Ok...so you probably just laughed your ass off that I said the LC Republicans are jumping ship being they constitute .00000000063 % of the party. Regardless, I have typed in the Rotharmy Forums about politics yet again.
Adios.

John Ashcroft
03-10-2004, 07:07 PM
You're calling McCain a "Log Cabing" Republican???

John McCain's party is the American media. He's hooked.

He's also no friend of George Bush. That's been clear for a long time. I'm not really a fan of John McCain the politician. I like when people shake up the establishment, but he does it to get press coverage only. So, you can instill your hope in guys like McCain if you want, it's still not gonna help you this November. And I'm still waiting for your answers to your party's current woes. They've lost consistently since '92.

Now, I may be a little short with ya cause you apparently don't know my past posts. You assume alot about me because I'm Conservative. You don't know my position on Gay marriage even if you think you do. You don't know if I hang out with Liberals. You've assumed I don't, and you've assumed wrong. It's ok though, I've done the same with you earlier. But you didn't refute it, so I'm guessing I hit the nail on the head.;) I don't live in a Conservative microcosm. Niether do most the Conservatives I know. This is a contrast to most "passionate" liberals I've met in my lifetime, I assure you. Just look at the behavior of the D.U. to dissenting opinion. There's your answer.

So on to my point... The military certainly does not pressure any members to conform to any party. I've spent almost 10 years in, and have been all over this great big world of ours, in many many units. I've had the pleasure of serving with people from every branch of our military (except the Coast Guard, but a good friend from HS is a Lieutenant Commander in the Coast Guard... Hell, I've lost touch with him, so he even may have advance a couple ranks!) Anyway, I've also had the pleasure of serving in NATO's only operation wing. I've served with people from pretty much every country in Western Europe and Canada. And when I say "served", I mean laughed with, drank with, eaten with, fought with, debated, learned from, taught, and trusted these fine people from all over the country and world. I've gotten a larger perspective in my life than most people get in their entire lifetimes. And I'm only in my thirty's. I consider myself the luckiest man on the planet, and wouldn't change a minute of my life (even the embarrasing ones, because I've learned from them). I've seen so much that I could die today a very happy man. Anyway, I've seen a bunch, and I can assure you that even liberal military men around the world are conservative compared to the party(s) that supposedly represent them.

Viking
03-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS:

Firm beliefs is a liberal oxymoron...

Heeheehahahahahaha.....:D