PDA

View Full Version : Bush Compares Iraq War To American Revolution

blueturk
07-05-2005, 01:26 AM
In his Independence Day speech today, Dubya once again tried to gain support for the war in Iraq, this time by trying to liken the hardships faced and sacrifices made after the first Independence Day 229 years ago to the current situation in Iraq. WTF?

Bush Compares Challenges in Iraq to First Independence Day

By ANNE E. KORNBLUT
Published: July 4, 2005
MORGANTOWN, W.Va., July 4 - The challenges that America faces in Iraq, President Bush said at an outdoor rally here on Monday, are like those that confronted the country on its first Independence Day.

President Bush delivered a speech today at Independence Day celebrations at West Virginia University in Morgantown.
"On July 4, 1776, more than five years of the Revolutionary War still lay ahead," Mr. Bush said.

"From the battle of New York, to the winter at Valley Forge, to the victory at Yorktown, our forefathers faced terrible losses and hardships. Yet they kept their resolve," he said. "They kept their faith in a future of liberty, and with their hard-won victory, we guaranteed a home for the Declaration's proposition that all are created equal."

Reprising his prime-time speech on Iraq the week before, President Bush declared an exit strategy in place.

"Our strategy can be summed up this way: As Iraqis stand up, we will stand down, and then our troops can come home to a proud and grateful nation," Mr. Bush said.

But for now, he said, they are fighting for a revolution as meaningful - and inevitable - as the one being waged 229 years ago. "Our men and women in uniform are defending America against the threats of the 21st century," he said. "The war we are fighting came to our shores on September the 11th, 2001. After that day, I made a pledge to the American people - we will not wait to be attacked again."

It was the third time in recent years that Mr. Bush had visited West Virginia on the July 4 holiday, drawn to its nearness and increasingly Republican electorate at a time when many in the state are also active in the military. Republicans, having won the state's five electoral votes in the last two presidential elections, are now eyeing the possibility that Representative Shelley Moore Capito, a Republican often targeted by Democrats, will challenge the revered Democratic senator from the state, Robert C. Byrd, who is up for re-election in 2006. Ms. Capito and her father, Archie A. Moore, Jr., the former governor, joined Mr. Bush onstage.

But after a weekend of intense focus on the Supreme Court vacancy left by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and amid preparations for his attendance at the Group of 8 summit in Europe early Tuesday, President Bush avoided politics and kept to his patriotic message.

Karl Rove, his senior adviser, rode the flight from Washington to West Virginia but did not respond to requests for an interview over his reported role in a controversy that threatens to put two reporters in jail. Newsweek had reported over the weekend that Mr. Rove had talked to Matthew Cooper of Time magazine for an article about Valerie Plame, a C.I.A. operative whose name was illegally disclosed by an unidentified White House official in a case now under investigation.

The Newsweek article did not identify Mr. Rove as that source, but Bush critics have been eager to tie him to the leak. Outside the presidential rally in Morgantown, one protester made reference to the case, holding a sign that read: "Jail Karl Rove."

Several dozen other protesters demonstrated against the war in Iraq, chanting, "Please support our troops, not the president!"

But they were overwhelmed by Bush supporters. About 4,300 tickets to the event were given out by the Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors' Bureau, according to its executive director, Stacey Brodak, who said the occasion brought great pride to the small college town just across the Pennsylvania border. The crowd, a sea of patriotic gear and military uniforms, gathered inside the campus green at West Virginia University for hours before the president arrived.

One local Bush supporter, Steve Smith, 57, a property manager, said he had left the house at 6 a.m. to get a good view. Like many in the crowd, Mr. Smith was wearing a vivid T-shirt that declared him "100 percent red-blooded American"; he described President Bush as "our greatest president ever."

Becky Dziekan, 52, said she had driven five hours from her home in Dayton, Ohio, to hear the president speak in the town where two of her daughters also live. "I wanted him to know he's not alone," said Ms. Dziekan, a Republican who voted for Mr. Bush.

But she stopped short of raving about his remarks. "For a celebration, it was sufficient. I mean, we're going to go have a picnic," she said. "I wouldn't want it for a State of the Union speech."

Jennifer Bayot contributed reporting from New York for this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/04/politics/04cnd-bush.html

The Scatologist
07-05-2005, 01:47 AM
The difference is that the Americans started the war for themselves, fought for themselves, only got help when they asked for it.

When the fuck did some country just start coming in and killing shit that had nothing to do with us without asking?

FORD
07-05-2005, 12:28 PM
The only comparison that could be made between America 1776 and Iraq 2005 is that there's a lot of pissed off patriots who want an occupying army the Hell out of their country.

Unfortunately, that makes us the "Redcoats". And our King George is a bigger asshole than the original.

Redballjets88
07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
how would you know? were you alive in 1776

Seshmeister
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The only comparison that could be made between America 1776 and Iraq 2005 is that there's a lot of pissed off patriots who want an occupying army the Hell out of their country.

Unfortunately, that makes us the "Redcoats". And our King George is a bigger asshole than the original.

FORD is correct.

There were only 5000 redcoats in the US and despite what Mel Gibson might say they weren't bombing the civilian population and locking people up in concentration camps.

Phil theStalker
07-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
The difference is that the Americans started the war for themselves, fought for themselves, only got help when they asked for it.

When the fuck did some country just start coming in and killing shit that had nothing to do with us without asking?
I was just going to say that FACT.

The French didn't INVADE the American British colonies, occupy them, kill the American colonialists, and destroy their villages and towns TO "GIVE" THEM INDEPENDENCE AND FREEDOM from "tyranny."

Revolution doesn't work that way.

Revolution doesn't happen that way.

Bush's "revolution" speech and comparision isn't FACT.

Just more LIES.

The country's got enough ignorant people to believe that LIE from Bush spoken on the 4th of July so that's why I see a civil war in the U.S.A..

The end of the story may be the end of mankind.

:spank:

Phil theStalker
07-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
FORD is correct.

There were only 5000 redcoats in the US and despite what Mel Gibson might say they weren't bombing the civilian population and locking people up in concentration camps.
What the fuck was the Boston Massacre?

What the fuck was Bunker Hill?

What the fuck?

What the fuck was 33,000 British and Hessian marines landing in New York harbor under with the largest naval armada until the D-Day invasion of Normandy, France?

What was that, a welcome the Americans to British colonialist rule cruise?

Was the British attack in that Battle of Long Island a party for the American "insurgents?"

Let me quote an American colonialist:
DANIEL McCURTIN, a young Maryland rifleman on duty in lower Manhattan, was astounded at the British armada in New York Bay on June 19. "I declare, at my noticing this, that I could not believe my eyes," he wrote in his diary. "... In about 10 minutes the whole bay was full of shipping as ever it could be ... I thought all London was afloat."
www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-history-hs403a,0,6043581.story?coll=ny-lihistory-navigation

"British forces are here to help. We will not tolerate civil disobediance."

Yeh, right.

Is anybody making any sense t2oday on this board? huh

LoungeMachine
07-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
how would you know? were you alive in 1776

History Books

Have someone point out a Library to you:rolleyes:

Phil theStalker
07-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
History Books

Have someone point out a Library to you:rolleyes: This guy's profile says he's 17.

He's wasting our time, but we're trying to save his life.

This kiddo should be drafted in about 24 months to "help" stop the dirty "insurgents" from killing our troops.

That'll make him happy.:D

Nitro Express
07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Interesting. Was George Washington and the Continental Army looking for British weapons of mass destruction that didn't exist?

FORD
07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
History Books

Have someone point out a Library to you:rolleyes:

He can't help it. He's a 17 year old kid who's grown up in the George Bush Jr gutted Texas public school system. His school library probably only contains Pat Robertson books and "My Pet Goat"

Hardrock69
07-05-2005, 02:58 PM
That goddamnable fuck....how sad that Republicans were so fucking stoopid as to elect this worthless asslicker.

The Revolution was a war for OUR independence.

The IRAQ WAR is an unnecessary police action based on lies and the desire for global domination and billions of dollars....

How in the fuck that retard can even BEGIN to compare the two in the same breath is just a further demonstration that he is completely out of touch with reality and needs to be removed from office.

:mad:

Phil theStalker
07-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
That goddamnable fuck....how sad that Republicans were so fucking stoopid as to elect this worthless asslicker.

The IRAQ WAR is an unnecessary police action based on lies and the desire for global domination and billions of dollars....

How in the fuck that retard can even BEGIN to compare the two in the same breath is just a further demonstration that he is completely out of touch with reality and needs to be removed from office.

Are you going to remove him?

How is he going t2o be removed?

Even though I agree with you, I'd like t2o hear this.

BigBadBrian
07-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Go ahead.

:gun:

Warham
07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm still waiting for the impeachment hearings to begin. With all you liberals whining about it incessantly, I'd have figured your voices would have been heard in Washington by now. Apparently not...

LoungeMachine
07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I'm still waiting for the impeachment hearings to begin. With all you liberals whining about it incessantly, I'd have figured your voices would have been heard in Washington by now. Apparently not...

Now there's some logic:rolleyes:

AP Wire Services

After strong pressure from the DLRArmy FRONTLINE forum members, The Bush Administration has agreed to step down.........

:cool:

Nickdfresh
07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by FORD
He can't help it. He's a 17 year old kid who's grown up in the George Bush Jr gutted Texas public school system. His school library probably only contains Pat Robertson books and "My Pet Goat"

Maybe they should just stock the shelves with Army field manuals.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0738857424.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Warham
07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Well, if liberals were all like you guys here, then their voices would have been heard, but apparently not. Maybe not every Democrat is a conspiracy-driven nutball after all.

:D

LoungeMachine
07-05-2005, 04:50 PM
. Maybe not every Democrat is a conspiracy-driven nutball after all.

Well they are if you're polling my house :D

Nickdfresh
07-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, if liberals were all like you guys here, then their voices would have been heard, but apparently not. Maybe not every Democrat is a conspiracy-driven nutball after all.

This from Mr. "CLINTON is the devil whose Ninja's shot down a plane of Military officers coming to arrest him in a constitutional coup...":rolleyes:

Warham
07-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Boy, Nick, you keep bringing up a joke I made six months ago...at least. Do you bring up jokes that FORD, Elvis, Brian or ANYBODY else made six months ago?

Good fucking grief.

Phil theStalker
07-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Good fucking grief.
Did you get that phrase from Joe Rogan?

=PtS=

Nickdfresh
07-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Boy, Nick, you keep bringing up a joke I made six months ago...at least. Do you bring up jokes that FORD, Elvis, Brian or ANYBODY else made six months ago?

Good fucking grief.

You weren't joking.;)