PDA

View Full Version : les pauls or strats

Jahuli
07-06-2005, 04:58 AM
I pose the age old question of :
whats better Les pauls or strats?

ThrillsNSpills
07-06-2005, 05:32 AM
I love the tone from a good Les Paul but I can't play well on one for anything. So if I had to choose it would be a Strat.

Jahuli
07-06-2005, 06:35 AM
for me its easier with a paul than strat!

guwapo_rocker
07-06-2005, 09:39 AM
I prefer the Les Paul, except for the weight.

ashstralia
07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
telecasters!

;)

Don Corleone
07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
I prefer Strats. I've tried Les Paul's but they just don't fit.

UGS
07-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Fuck, can't decide. . .Strats fit me like a glove and I love playing them, but the roar of an LP through my Marshall is orgasmic. . .

BOTH!

Big Fat Sammy
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
telecasters!

;)

Same here....

But I do like the contoured body on strats...and the middle pickup.

It's hard to get funky on a Les Paul for some reason.

SweetSecrets
07-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Nothing beats a Paul and a Plexy. ;)

SweetSecrets
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Panamark has a cool Strat, though. :)

...but his Destroyer is still better, I think. :)

Redballjets88
07-07-2005, 01:31 AM
dean...not really id go with les paul i like the style better

The Scatologist
07-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Les Paul's are sexier

kentuckyklira
07-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by SweetSecrets
Nothing beats a Paul and a Plexy. ;) Sure, a Strat and a plexi!

BrownSound1
07-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I love 'em both, so I can't decide on which I like better. Two different tones and feels, but they're both so damn good. ;)

Big Fat Sammy
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
Les Paul's are sexier

They have an hourglass figure :D

The headstock of the tele has a woman like shape too. :)

SweetSecrets
07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Sure, a Strat and a plexi!

That is quite debatable.:D

BrownSound1
07-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I'd say it's a tie when going through a Plexi, because Plexis are sex in a box.

SweetSecrets
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I'd say it's a tie when going through a Plexi, because Plexis are sex in a box.

Nah...better with a Paul. Those two were meant for each other.

Matt White
07-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Both GRATE guitars.

Pauls are easier to play.....CLASSIC ROCK personified.

STRATS are also extremely Kewl...SRV & Hendrix tone.................MANLY.

scottydabodi
07-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Strats.
Jimi, JEFF FUCKIN BECK, SRV, Blackmore, Malmsteen, Clapton, Eric Johnson, DICK FUCKIN DALE, Jimmie Vaughn, Robert Cray, even EVH played a strat with a humbucker in it... Les Pauls rock, but strats kick bigtime ass.

Redballjets88
07-08-2005, 12:43 AM
hey you forgot that Vai used to play strats until he made the JEM which is also a strat but better

scottydabodi
07-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Vai, Satch, FRANK ZAPPA... shit, we could be here a while....

Redballjets88
07-08-2005, 12:59 AM
does satch still plat strats? his signature guitar is weird looking i dont like it

Hardrock69
07-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Uhh.. Gibson Flying Vs....

kentuckyklira
07-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by SweetSecrets
That is quite debatable.:D To be honest, Iīll stick to my 78 Strat body with a 78 Tele neck, a Floyd Rose and PJ Marx pick ups played through my original 71 100W Marshall heads.

(unless of course, I feel like playing any other of my 60+ guitars:D )

Panamark
07-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Man.... what a tough question..

Both different, both great !
I like the feel of hitting a full barre chord on a Paul
or single sustained notes..

The strats and Teles seem better for faster fretwork..

I'd probably say the Pauls are better tonewise, but the
strats/teles are lighter and easier to play faster riffs on..

The weight of a Les Paul is a big disadvantage for those
all-night jam sessions..

Im fortunate enough to have had a Les Paul added to the
collection recently from Sweetsecrets. Its a beautiful
Studio model, not as heavy (physical weight)
as the Pauls I have owned previously, but still posesses
all the nice stuff you love about Les Pauls...
Great tone straight into the JCM800 (no pedals) just
the guitar.. Awesome feel when playing full chords..

I love chord work on the gibsons, and stringwork on the
fenders..

Hey what about the mid 80's Ibanez ?? Beats them both ;)

tydhurst
07-08-2005, 07:50 AM
My favourite guitarist is George Harrison, he usually used strats, but my second favourite is Jimmy Page, he used Pauls... so i don;t know.

I probrably prefer Les Pauls just because of the overall look and sound.

jackassrock
07-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm with you Panamark. Les Pauls for the rhythm track, Strats for the leads. Pauls are fat and chunky, and the thinner sound of a strat cuts right through for the solo's.

So my answer is...both !

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 02:06 AM
I've always dug Eric Johnson's tone...what's he using a Strat and a 50 watt Plexi or a JTM 45? I love the glassy tone you get with Strats, and I love the moan of a Les Paul. Asking this question is like being torn between two lovers. :D

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:11 AM
a lot of leads play les paul/gibson slash and joe perry do

jackassrock
07-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I've heard about Eric Johnson's rig. He uses a whole lot of different amps, a friend of mine loads in bands at Bogart's in Cincy. He told me that Johnson doesn't use just one, he travels with a lot of real vintage amplifiers and has a switch board to jump from one to the other for different tones.

UGS
07-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Do Teles in the studio, Pauls on tour. . . just like Pagey!

ashstralia
07-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by jackassrock
I've heard about Eric Johnson's rig. He uses a whole lot of different amps, a friend of mine loads in bands at Bogart's in Cincy. He told me that Johnson doesn't use just one, he travels with a lot of real vintage amplifiers and has a switch board to jump from one to the other for different tones.

and he can tell an energizer from a duracell!

Phil theStalker
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
I love the tone from a good Les Paul but I can't play well on one for anything. So if I had to choose it would be a Strat. Every guitar has tit's place. And dis goode' 102 year old guitar playa (well, dat's da age on his profile) points dat out.

Les Paul's are mmy favoritte f4or ballzy guitar playing. When I want t2o soften tit up (da sound) I use a Fender Mustang, Flying V's, etc..

Da classic mix aff t2wo guitarists playing t2ogetha is a Gibson SG and a Gibson GS. Dat's been a good sound f4or ova 40 yeers.

T2o mme, da Strat is a slinky "easy-t2o-play" guitar, NO BALLS, but tit's good f4or dat thin membrane acid, psychedelic sound or like da lace on a dress.

Why mmy choice f4or mainly Les Pauls?

A dress can't bee mmade aff lace.

Not cuntless yoo count going outside in a fishing net beeing dressed.

Dis case is not closed..

We need a o1ne werld government t2o straighten tit all out.

:spank:

TIT'S GOT BALLZ

jojo2371
07-14-2005, 12:53 AM
yeah eric johnson has an a/b switch between 2 marshalls for dirty and 2 fender deluxe reverbs for clean ,live and on the road its obviously a strat for eric but in the studio its his prized 335 ! the one featured in the zap video , also the 335 was used to record cliffs of dover!!!!

jojo2371
07-14-2005, 12:57 AM
oh and i gotta go with the strat !!!!! i got 2 '62 reissue strats from the 80's made in japan -2 words KILLER TONE !!!!!

Big Fat Sammy
07-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jojo2371
oh and i gotta go with the strat !!!!! i got 2 '62 reissue strats from the 80's made in japan -2 words KILLER TONE !!!!!

80's Jap Strats RULE!!!

I've noticed that shorter, stockier guys can make the Les Pauls work better for them than tall skinny ones....ever notice this?

They are cool though in the right hands, Warren Haynes can make it work great for him...

...but I'm 6'0'' - 150 pounds....and I avoid Les Pauls 'cause if I played one I would look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame in about a week....:D

Cathedral
07-15-2005, 02:49 AM
Since i have always hated the thin sound of a Strat without the humbuckers and always preferred the Fat Strat, fuck the middle man and go with the Les Paul.

Les Pauls are smooooooooth to me.

And it strikes me funny that some state they can't play very well on a Paul.
I find it to be easier with the flatter neck as opposed to the Strat.

My Charvel has a Paul style flat neck and it's why i have been in love with it since i got it *cough* years ago.......

kentuckyklira
07-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Les Paul necks have shorter scales. Obviously that makes a difference, depending on the shape of your hands.

Iīve owned a few Les Paul scale guitars in my life. Sold almost all of them because I just couldnīt cope with the short scale!

Big Troubles
07-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I can play much better on my "les paul" than my strat. But I think that's more of a choosing.

Phil theStalker
07-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
I can play much better on my "les paul" than my strat. But I think that's more of a choosing. In mmy life t2o play a les paul wuz a calling.

Do people "choose" t2o bee gay?:)

Big Troubles
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
In mmy life t2o play a les paul wuz a calling.

Do people "choose" t2o bee gay?:)

I dunno. How do you wrestle with the lifestyle? :D

But seriously, I said "choosing" because I believe subconsciously I "Choose" my Les Paul (knockoff) over my strat because I enjoy the feel of it. But in no way do I think IT plays better. I think the fingers do more work than the guitar.

and you may want to click on Spell Check from time to time- You dont want to be teased do you? ;) Just fakkin'-

Big Fat Sammy
07-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Since i have always hated the thin sound of a Strat without the humbuckers and always preferred the Fat Strat, fuck the middle man and go with the Les Paul.

Les Pauls are smooooooooth to me.

My Charvel has a Paul style flat neck and it's why i have been in love with it since i got it *cough* years ago.......

I liked the flatter necks early on, and it took me awhile to get used to the rounder Fender style ones, but it was worth it (for me anyway) to play on the longer scale.

You can get a fat tone out of Strats, with alot of dynamics, but its a whole nother trick. Its fat without being as smooth as a LP.

LPs IMO are a little too smooooooth.....when I plug one in I feel like Dicky fuckin Betts. :D

Phil theStalker
07-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
But in no way do I think IT plays better. I think the fingers do more work than the guitar.
Ahh, da fingers..

Dat's why i'm an acoustick bad ass..

uh uh uh uh uh u hu hu hu hu hu hu h uh u:)h

Speeling? huh

=PtS=

SKIPPY'S THREE FINGER HAND
Skippy Has Only Thr3ee Fingers
AND O1NE ARM

The Scatologist
07-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I play a Paul cause I look better in one.

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Les Paul necks have shorter scales. Obviously that makes a difference, depending on the shape of your hands.

Iīve owned a few Les Paul scale guitars in my life. Sold almost all of them because I just couldnīt cope with the short scale!

The Les Paul is great for playing rhythm, while I do have to agree that a Strat style guitar is much better for rippin the leads AND incorporating the whammy bar.

I can smoke on my Strat styled Charvel, but it has a super thin neck more common with the Paul.
My old Paul had a habit of putting me in the slow hands mood a lot, but damn, i miss that guitar.

My main axe is a perfect blend of what i like about both the Paul and the Strat.

I guess after further thought about this, it isn't really the Strat i hate as much as the single coil pickups that generally come in them.

That, and we had a guy in our band many years ago that preferred the singles and the noise his shit made, feeding back and just sounding too damn tinny, I became biased against them.

My Aria Pro was the same way until I routed out the body and dropped a DiMarzio in it.

BrownSound1
07-16-2005, 02:30 AM
If his pickups were squeeling then he had some shit pickups. I've never had a problem with single coils feeding back. Obviously you'll get some hum, but a little 60Hz (or 50Hz..depending on your location on Earth) never hurt anything. If I want to play super clean I definitely have to have a single coil. A Strat has to have a certain amount of "sparkle and shimmer" to its tone or it just wouldn't be right. Also, if I want a Hendrix or SRV vibe...gotta dig up that Strat. Or maybe some surf guitar tones, a la Dick Dale or The Ventures. It just can't be done on a Les Paul, well it could but not as convincingly.

The flip side is if I want to bust out and get some Zeppelin going...well that's a bad example because the first album was all Telecaster. Well let's say I want to play a blues tune in the vein of Since I've Been Loving You, then only a Les Paul will do. The thing I love about Pauls are the fact that you have separate volume controls for each pickup. Ease back that volume on the neck for some cleanliness, and have that bridge and full, ball-busting volume. Plus, that thick tone....great for digging in for some early ZZ Top chunkiness.

The scale and neck radius never bothered me in the least....but bridges are a different story. I like to rest my hand on the bridge, and in that aspect a Les Paul isn't comfortable for me. However it isn't that big of a problem....it certainly can be overcome.

I still say there is no winner in this competition. These two guitars are THE measuring sticks by which all other guitars are compared. I'd say they are equal in their contributions.

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 03:17 AM
His was a beautiful looking mid 70's Strat, it still looks new today as a matter of fact.
I know shit about single coils by the way, lol, but his shit was more than a hum.
Could have been his pedals, could have been the Lab Series amp, which he still has also...the boy never changed shit but strings.

It was so bad towards the end of his time with us that we kept him turned down in the mix, which he was not aware of, lol.

It was part of the reason he left the band, the turning him down shit.
We were all talking with our soundman prior to a show one night (obviously he wasn't included) and he over heard us talking about it.
It wasn't long before he figured it out, loud in his monitor, low through the mains.

I felt bad for the guy, but he just didn't care to rectify the problem, and it was a problem.

When I finished a show I didn't want to spend the rest of the night answering, "Whats up with all the noise in your sound?".

That shit was a pain in the ass because we knew what it was and just played dumb so as not to embarrass him.

We should have just fired him, but i've been fired from a band before, that shit don't feel good.
Even though mine was part of a dispute over a female, it still sucked.
I had a girlfriend who always saw to it that the band never had an empty beer in front of them, but then she thought she earned input on band disscussions.
She wasn't a Yoko or anything, but you know, i'm sure, how women like to include themselves in band matters.

It only stands to reason that if someone calls your lady a bitch to her face and in front of you, you have to react.
I'm all about reacting.............

Brett
07-16-2005, 03:44 AM
I have a Paul and I rarely play it, it's so uncomfortable and heavy now to me. I guess after years of playing mostly Strat-style guitars, the Paul just doesn't fit my style at all anymore.

Just always seemed like the big rock cliche...an LP and a Marshall. That's part of the reason I kinda stopped playing both for a long time, that's what everyone playing hard rock used.

The Scatologist
07-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Pauls are manlier

Dave's Bitch
07-17-2005, 08:59 PM
les paul

DeadOrAlive
07-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Les Pauls are great, but I have a hard time with the necks on those things. I find strats alot easier to play, But Les Pauls are good for improving technique in my case.

The Scatologist
07-17-2005, 11:13 PM
If you can't handle a Paul, then in my opinion, that's your own fault.

Too heavy? More like Too Pussy.

Even little Randy played a Paul.

A custom at that too, which is way heavier.

zeronumber
07-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Meh, I'm more of a strat man myself, mostly out of a preference thing, I know a lot of talented guys used les pauls before, but frankly, I could do with out them, Besides, I find myself having trouble palying a les paul due to it's weight, as well as it's weired shape, where as a strat is light, thin, and extremely versitle.

If I were to go gibson, I'd pretty much use every other product they have except the les paul.

SG - In a heart beat
Explorer - Hell yes
Flying V - Fuck Yeah
Firebird - Well...not a guitar...but a bass, hell yes.

Matt White
07-21-2005, 01:22 AM
The LES PAUL is the HE-MAN of Guitars.

Matt White
07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
FELIX wouldn't lie to me!!!

Big Fat Sammy
07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
If you can't handle a Paul, then in my opinion, that's your own fault.

Too heavy? More like Too Pussy.

Even little Randy played a Paul.

A custom at that too, which is way heavier.

My telecaster goes to eleven.

Matt White
08-06-2005, 06:35 PM
That's why I dig my Wolfgang so much...Neck like a Strat...sounds like a Les Paul.........

ROCK 'N' ROLL MOTHERFUCKER

roryrobson666
11-04-2005, 02:18 PM
A les paul!!! they rock!!! Ok, they are a bit on the hefty side, but a strat feels cheap and nasty..... I just got a new one and I love it, im gonna put some seymour duncans in it!!! Plus I hate the feedback off singlecoils. GIBSON ALL THE WAY!!!

roryrobson666
11-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Really, you can only ever play strats for a little while, but then you've got to get back to the real world, It's like leaving the tourbus for a minivan..

mako_kimura
11-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Honestly, I'm more of a stratocaster person. I love the sound, the shape, and the lightness of them. I just can't take the weight of the Les Paul, but they do have a good sound to them.