X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The Rollingstones' Greatest Hits album "Forty-Licks"

You Stones fans out there, how does the album sound? Did the Stones digitally remaster each song, or does it sort of sound like shit? They really don't say in the linear notes. I'm not a huge fan, but I'd like a nice compilation.

• twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i think the ABKCO stuff was remastered, taken from their latest set of remastered discs. the post-ABKCO stuff was redone when Virgin got their back catalog.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Both the Stones catalogs 64-70 and the 71-preseent have been remastered at least twice now.

The most recent Abcko remasters (early stuff) are definitely superior to the 80's remasters (and of course I already bought all the old ones. But you probably wouldn't really notice the difference without high end equipment. In which case, you'll probably be playing the "super audio" layer anyway.

As for the CBS release of the later catalog vs the Virgin I can't tell a damn bit of different. I have Some Girls and Tattoo You on Virgin (waited longer to replace those because I had the vinyl) and the rest on CBS/Sony and I can't tell a damn bit of difference in the mastering. Except for the fact that the track "Slave" on the Tattoo You CD is a minute or so longer than it was on the original vinyl. But that song goes as long as 10 minutes on the bootlegs, so that's not a surprise.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i have a few of the collector's edition Virgin CD's, with the "original album packaging," and they've got a sticker that claims they were digitally remastered.

the only CBS Stones discs i have are Steel Wheels, Flashpoint, and Made in the Shade. Made in the Shade sounds like shit...
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm beginning to think that "Remasters" means recording from the old source tapes using newer, high-compression (definition) recording-to-CD technology more than anything else (HDCD). I doubt they do much re-mixing or anything like that.

Comment

• rustoffa
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Thank God they never got around to remastering Metamorphosis.

Jiving Sister Fanny woulda' been ruined.

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

Can't go wrong with LET IT BLEED, BEGGARS BANQUET, EXILE, & STICKY FINGERS. All essential stuff.

Comment

• DLR7884
                  ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                  Can't go wrong with LET IT BLEED, BEGGARS BANQUET, EXILE, & STICKY FINGERS. All essential stuff.
                  Don't forget Tatoo You....

DLR7884
                  I personally think the 2nd half of that album is outstanding.
                  Originally Posted by WARF:
                  DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

FORTY LICKS is a good, solid overview, but the Stones are worth getting the discs:

ESSENTIAL

Beggars Banquet
                    Let It Bleed
                    Exile On Main Street

CLASSIC

Sticky Fingers
                    Some Girls
                    Tattoo You

GOOD

Black and Blue
                    Satanic Majesties
                    Between the Buttons
                    Emotional Rescue
                    It's Only Rock and Roll

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

HOT ROCKS covers the early CLASSICS.........

I didn't like any of the new songs on 40 Licks...........

How many classic songs can anybody be expected to write?!?

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

The new songs SUCKED (especially "Don't Stop"). sorta liked "Losing My Touch", Keith's tune, but I won't die unfulfilled if I never hear it again.

Hot Rocks is a GREAT overview of the early stuff (one of my faves "Play With Fire"), and it flows very, very well.

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

40 LICKS also has "THE LAST TIME", one of my alltime favs!

Comment

• stringfelowhawk
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Mar 2004

Well, I bought this album when it was released. I wasn't around for the early stuff but believe me, I heard it around my house. I like this album and rarely skip a track. A few years back a friend was playing a compilation of Stones remasters and I asked him to burn me a copy. I agree with the above. I can't tell the difference.

I've never been a slow song person. Suppose I never will be. But the Stones knew how to do it without the "overblown begging" aspect and that's why I've always dug "Angie", "Fool To Cry", and "Wild Horses". I heard a female group do it once on a tv show for a prom scene and it was the obligatory slow dance song. I recognized it before she sang a single vowel and expected it to blow harder than a bondage loving whore. I was pleasantly surprised when it was done so tastefully.
                            Visit my online store http://www.tripleclicks.com/12395755 or get your own http://www.sfi4.com/12395755/FREE

Comment

• Antman
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2004

As a casual Stones fan, I recommend it. It's got all the tunes I know and like from them. That and Tattoo You are the only Stones I own and I'm happy with that. Tattoo is in my disc changer right now. Waitin on a Friend is a great tune.
                              When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

Working...