PDA

View Full Version : Want a Plexi? Build one!!

BrownSound1
07-08-2005, 12:06 PM
If you've ever wanted a Plexi, but refuse to pay the outrageous price they command, then try this...BUILD one. I have posted about building your own amp before, with the AX84 kits. However, this is a BIG step above those. Metro Amp (http://www.metroamp.com) offers a complete head kit, and when I say complete I mean complete..tubes, head case, chassis, trannies, EVERYTHING. $999.00 US, which isn't really that bad for what all you get. While I do own a Plexi, I might just have to try and build one of these to compare.

Panamark
07-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Do it Mate !!!

Would be a good project and great to post the progress pics
here. I would be really interested if you can actually build
something at home and get that same tone..

Im a techie too, so its something I wouldnt have a prob with..
Ive built Mosfet power amps before...

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I'm interested to see the results myself Mark. Guitar amps are not complicated circuits really, but in my opinion every little thing you do to the guts effects tone. I'm not to the point that EVH was at, where I have to pull the Tolex off my cabinets, but I do believe the slightest component change will make a change in tone. We shall see...don't know when, but we will. ;) (All depends on whether my "boss" allows me to drop a grand on yet another guitar amp.) She'll probably say...you spent a grand on it and it is in pieces?

I was reading on their message board that they have some more models coming out soon. The one that caught my eye was a '68 Plexi that is supposedly based off the same serial series as EVH's. I always thought Ed used a '67, but perhaps I'm mistaken on that. Anyway, they guaranteed it would have THE Brown sound. Well of course, Brown Sound is my name. :D

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:12 AM
ur boss gives you money to buy guitar stuff? where do you work....i am inspired to get a job like that now

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 02:18 AM
The boss I'm referring to is my wife. :D

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:21 AM
oh makes sense

Panamark
07-09-2005, 03:33 AM
Tell her its a curtain machine or something !!!!

You can do it !!! :p

Panamark
07-09-2005, 03:35 AM
If I was Marshall I would be seriously re-issuing those 60's/70's models made exactly as they were. They would make a killing.
BS1, if these things sound as good, you could flog em for $2000
easy... (Assembled)

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 03:42 AM
On their forums, they have some sound clips showing different output transformers. The dude who runs that business compares his replica to the real amp, playing the same guitar, same tone settings, and same licks. In most of those cases I heard, his replicas actually sounded a bit smoother.

I would certainly build the kits for people who weren't comfortable with doing it themselves, and I would do it for a price cheaper than they sell them for fully assembled on their site.

Panamark
07-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Sounds like a business oppurtunity to me ;)

Panamark
07-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Why isnt Marshall doing this ?????

I know they recently released some hand wired 50 watt heads that
were closer to a Plexi, but still not exact.

Who the fuck is in charge there ?? They are missing out on a
goldmine. SecondHand Plexis now command top dollar.. Surely
they realize this ??

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 04:14 AM
You would think. Seems that there are a lot of boutique amp companies out now, and the DIY market is really taking off. In my searches I've found several companies that offer similar products...some are geared more towards Fender amps, but that's not the point. Why pay thousands of dollars for an amp that you can build for less money? Now this isn't always the case, but when you're talking about Marshall Plexis...geezus, the price is WAAAY above what I'm willing to pay. Right now there is a big vintage amp collectors market, and in a way it is sad, because there are a lot of great amps that will only be part of a collection and not be used.

If I were Marshall, I would be all over this like flies on fresh dogshit. People WANT that tone, and have wanted it since they released the damn things. Surely Jim hasn't forgotten how to make them the old way. Perhaps he has no say....maybe it's all Korg's fault, if they still own Marshall. I've always wondered what the hell a bunch of keyboard guys knew about building guitar amps anyway. :D

Panamark
07-09-2005, 05:25 AM
We *HAVE* to get Jims email addy !!! :)

Hardrock69
07-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I have often wondered that about other stuff....like why doe snot Ford create a factory to re-issue 1966 Mustangs? It would be pretty damned easy...and they would sell shitloads of the motherfuckers...

ThrillsNSpills
07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
If you can build a plexi comparable amp you can't lose for a grand. Good luck BS, I'm fascinated and interested in what kind of tone you can achieve. Amazing stuff, keep us posted. How long you reckon would it take to put together??

Sounds to me like you couldn't lose, you could always sell it for a tidy sum. Lot's of tone oriented folks out there like you said.

David Van Via
07-09-2005, 02:46 PM
hey BS where can you find these comparisons in tone between the originals and the DIY ones?

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.metroamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=972

These are the clips I listened to. VelvetGeorge is George Metropoulos, the owner and amp guru there. I'm afraid that what he is comparing in the clips is not amps, but one of their output transformer designs to an original 1970 100 watter transformer.

Sorry guys..I guess I got a bit excited.

BrownSound1
07-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Here's some of one of his JTM45 clones with various KT66's being demoed: http://www.metroamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1160

ThrillsNSpills
07-15-2005, 11:49 AM
http://www.metroamp.com/store/images/100%20watt%20amp%20kit%205.jpg

What kind of tubes come with this? What are the best tubes for a plexi amp??

BrownSound1
07-15-2005, 01:27 PM
The ones in that picture are JJ Tesla tubes. George, who owns the company, matches the pairs for you before he ships them. I'm pretty sure you can specify what brand of tubes you want.

As far as tubes I've used...Groove Tubes and Svetlanas. However Svetlana is no longer in business...so when I retube I guess it'll be Groove Tubes.

When I finally get enough money saved to get the kit I think I'll see if I can get the EVH spec board, and get 6CA7 power amp tubes. I don't know yet if he's finished developing that amp though. Going to order my Variac next week. ;)

ThrillsNSpills
07-16-2005, 03:51 AM
The Variac had to be in the same issue as the boiling strings to stay in tune.
You know someone somewhere blew up their shit after reading that and experimenting. :)

Brett
07-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Shit BS1, I always thought Ed's head was a '71 Plexi. :)

BrownSound1
07-16-2005, 11:59 AM
LOL Brett! I wonder how many people are sitting here going....'71 Plexi...gotta find that on eBay. (Doesn't exist folks)

Well considering Edward said he pushed his amp up to 140 volts or so...yeah you could burn some tubes up rather quickly. Funny how now we all know he dropped it to 90 volts. I'm serious though...I'm ordering a Variac this coming week, but it isn't just for my guitar amp.

ThrillsNSpills
09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
bump ;)

SweetSecrets
09-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow!

Nitro Express
09-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I bought the Metropolos 67 plexi components but ended up working for my cousin in Germany for a year. I gave everything to my dad who was a ham radio enthusiast and a military certified wirerer in the day. We used to make some complicated Heathkit projects like an ociliscope.

Anyways when I got home from Germany my dad had my amp done. It looks like a Hiwatt more than a Marshall because my dad knows his shit. He had a lot of fun and I got a great amp. I never take it anywhere though because my dad passed away shortly after I got home and that amp has a lot of sentimental value. It sounds great too. I'll never sell it.

jhale667
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm seriously toying with the idea of building a Metro 12-series Plexi clone (and have been for some time; BS1 knows this and has prodded me to get off my ass and do it already :rolleyes: ). My friend has one and it sounds kick ass! :D

BrownSound1
09-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I bought the Metropolos 67 plexi components but ended up working for my cousin in Germany for a year. I gave everything to my dad who was a ham radio enthusiast and a military certified wirerer in the day. We used to make some complicated Heathkit projects like an ociliscope.

Anyways when I got home from Germany my dad had my amp done. It looks like a Hiwatt more than a Marshall because my dad knows his shit. He had a lot of fun and I got a great amp. I never take it anywhere though because my dad passed away shortly after I got home and that amp has a lot of sentimental value. It sounds great too. I'll never sell it.

Sorry to hear about your father Nitro. I lost my dad in January of '06, and he was always dinkin' around with electronics projects as long as I can remember. Sounds like our fathers were a lot alike, and I knew what a transistor and a vacuum tube were before I started to school. :D

I now have most of his old components and equipment...would be to hard to part with that stuff. Found some great old resistors that made their way into my old Crybaby. ;) Really fattened up the sound with those old carbon resistors...especially the ones that have drifted a bit off spec.

Nitro Express
09-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
If I was Marshall I would be seriously re-issuing those 60's/70's models made exactly as they were. They would make a killing.
BS1, if these things sound as good, you could flog em for $2000
easy... (Assembled)

I took a tour of the Marshall plant last time I was in Europe and I brought that up. I was told Marshall makes most their money on the small solid state combo amps. The tube amps are the high end but they are less profitable. They do make custom handmade amps that costs $$$$$. They will also rebuild your old Marshall for $$$$$.

I got the impression the company was proud of their legacy and old amps but the business model was based on going forwards with new technology and trends and not to get pigeon holed into the past.

They said Marshall became successful in the begining because Jim Marshall was willing to listen to the younger musicians and give them what they wanted. The hundred watt stack was considered insane at the time but Jim Marshall wanted to push the boundaries and give the kids what they wanted. They still want to do that in another way. Plus the new players want a harsher sound now and with China and Russia looking like possible future enemies, the supply of valve tubes could dry up overnight making solid state amps a neccessity. It was starting to look that way in the 1980's.

Panamark
09-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Heya Nitro !

After obtaining an ADA MP1 recently, I bought probably 6 or 7
different pairs of 12AX7's to try in this great little pre-amp..
All russian and chinese....
How can the biggest economy in the world not manufacture
tubes anymore..?? I thought the electro-harmonix were meant
to be US, but they sounded the worst out the bunch..
Are the JJ's US made, or just "rebadged" I wonder ?

Best sounding 12AX7's were the Beijing ones...
I can describe the plates and mica's if you are
after this particular valve..

But yeah, seems we are screwed if the Ruskis and
Chinese dont want to sell us tubes !!

Tone chasers are like old fart audiophiles now, we
have to seek out that perfect "Stylus" to play our
old LP's.. (Except its our Amps and tubes/valves)

Im betting theres dudes here that agonize over styluses
and Tubes !! LOL....

Hardrock69
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Environmental issues.

Manufacturing tubes is a dirty business, and in Russia and China, they do not care if they pollute the environment and sicken the local population.

The governments of those 2 countries view their population as expendable, and do not give a fuck about what happens to them.

So to manufacture tubes in the US these days is cost-prohibitive, and there is too much regulation and red-tape involved.

Hope that answers your question.
:cool:

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Environmental issues.

Manufacturing tubes is a dirty business, and in Russia and China, they do not care if they pollute the environment and sicken the local population.

The governments of those 2 countries view their population as expendable, and do not give a fuck about what happens to them.

So to manufacture tubes in the US these days is cost-prohibitive, and there is too much regulation and red-tape involved.

Hope that answers your question.
:cool:

I've watched video footage of them making tubes at Svetlana in St. Petersburg, Russia. The plant is just this old looking brick building and the equipment looks like it came out of Dr. Frankenstien's lab. All the plates and grids are assembled by hand and then encased in a glass tube with the air sucked out by a vaccume.

What's hazzardouse? I would think valve tubes would be no worse than an incondesant light bulb. We manufacture flouresant lights hin the US and those contain mercury.

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Heya Nitro !

and Tubes !! LOL....

Another reason we got away from tubes is we had superior transistor and integrated circuit technology than the Communists. They stuck with tube technology longer out of necessity and when the iron curtain opened up, they were desperate for money and one consumer item they could manufacuture and sell was vaccume tubes.

Russia and China opening up started the return of affordable tubes and tube amps. Now we can buy pretty good tube amps for under $500. That was unheard of in 1987!

BrownSound1
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Actually there are a few companies that still manufacture vacuum tubes in the US. The majority are for military and super high power applications, but Western Electric has a plant here in Huntsville that makes tubes for the audiophile market. They are SUPER expensive, but still US made. They are also going to make available a Genelex Gold Lion KT88 that is currently being made in the UK. A quad of those will run you $1700 US!!! I'll never buy 'em.

http://www.westernelectric.com/index.html

Nitro Express
09-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Actually there are a few companies that still manufacture vacuum tubes in the US. The majority are for military and super high power applications, but Western Electric has a plant here in Huntsville that makes tubes for the audiophile market. They are SUPER expensive, but still US made. They are also going to make available a Genelex Gold Lion KT88 that is currently being made in the UK. A quad of those will run you $1700 US!!! I'll never buy 'em.

http://www.westernelectric.com/index.html

Audiophiles are the wierdest people. The most anal people you will ever meet. My uncle is one and he's also a concert pianist and a retired physisist. The dude bought a handmade amp from some Japanese guy and the transformers were handwound with special Italian silver wire. It's probably got some high end blessed with the pussy dew of a magical virgin tubes in it.

He sits in a chair in the middle of the room with the lights out and listens to special classical music pressings.

They guy is a tottal accademic snob and an asshole. When we called to tell him that my brother died he acted like we ruined his day. He hasn't come to a family function for years. He has no friends but other accademic snobs.

Audiophiles. Ha!

Eddie's Booze
09-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Why isnt Marshall doing this ?????

I know they recently released some hand wired 50 watt heads that
were closer to a Plexi, but still not exact.

Who the fuck is in charge there ?? They are missing out on a
goldmine. SecondHand Plexis now command top dollar.. Surely
they realize this ??

Panamark,
Over here in the UK you can buy a vintage Plexi or early Jmp 1,2,3 50 watt for alot less than what Marshall are charging for those Handbuilt Marshalls.

Hiwatt are even now making point to point highend Amps for ALOT less what those Handwired Marshalls are and the are alot better sounding and are much higher quality construction wise as well.

;)

Eddie's Booze
09-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Heya Nitro !

and Tubes !! LOL....

I have the same set of Sovtek Tubes that came in my soldano when I bought in 2000, that amp was built in 1996, how's that for reliable?????

The Amp sounds exactly the same as the day I bought it as well.

:D

Nitro Express
09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
Panamark,
Over here in the UK you can buy a vintage Plexi or early Jmp 1,2,3 50 watt for alot less than what Marshall are charging for those Handbuilt Marshalls.

Hiwatt are even now making point to point highend Amps for ALOT less what those Handwired Marshalls are and the are alot better sounding and are much higher quality construction wise as well.

;)

Jim Marshall has turned the opperation over to his son and daughter who both seem to know the legacy they have inherited and both are obviousely educated in the international marketplace of today. What I left the Marshall factory feeling is they are indeed proud of the legacy but they want to go forward using new manufacturing processes to mesh the old with the new and make it reasonably priced. I don't think they are interested in really being a botique handwired amp producer but they don't want to slam the door on that either.

By the way, every girl handwiring the amps was very fuckable. I was expecting ugly fat old ladies or nerdy, ugly men. Nope, very fuckable British beauties. I would pay the price for a handwired amp if the girl who made it came with it! LOL!