PDA

View Full Version : THE PITTSBURGH Sports CHATTER

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Va Beach VH Fan
02-20-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13997726&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Man with a plan
By: Mike Bires - Times Sports Staff
02/20/2005

PITTSBURGH - For the Pittsburgh Steelers, the journey toward Super Bowl XL has already begin. The process of putting together next season's roster is underway.

On Tuesday, coach Bill Cowher, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and their staffs will head for Indianapolis for the annual scouting combine to evaluate talent for the April 23-24 NFL Draft. On March 2, the veteran free agency period begins.

On that date, the Steelers and many of the league's 31 other teams must adjust their players' salary cap figures to meet the NFL's maximum. Last year, the per-team cap was $80,582,000.

"We don't know the 2005 cap figure yet," Colbert said. "They'll give it to us right around the start of the new league year, which is March 2. There's always been a bump in the cap."

Even though there's speculation this year's cap will bump up into the $85 million range, Colbert and the Steelers' negotiating team have some major decisions to make. Unlike some teams that have plenty of cap room, the Steelers don't.

Colbert said that while he and chief negotiator Omar Khan have yet to commence negotiations with any player, he's been meeting with Khan daily, and will continue to do so.

"We're OK right now. But March 2 when the new (2005) contracts kick in, you have to account for any raises," Colbert said. "So we have to make some adjustments, as we do every year."

Those adjustments mean cutting players or restructuring contracts. Those cost-cutting measures would allow the Steelers to re-sign their own free agents - they have 12 unrestricted free agents, wide receiver Plaxico Burress among them - or sign free agents from other teams who are peddling their wares on the open market.

Last season, for example, running back Jerome Bettis accepted a salary reduction of roughly $3.6 million to $1 million to remain a Steeler.

Even though he led the Steelers in rushing (941 yards) and rushed for 100 yards or more in the six regular-season games he started, Bettis will be asked to take a pay cut again if he sticks around for his 13th pro season.

Bettis, who turned 33 on Wednesday and has hinted he may retire, is under contract to make $4.484 million this season. But because the Steelers are committed to Duce Staley, whose base salary will be $2.15 million, the team obviously won't allow Bettis to return under the current terms of his contract.

Likewise for 30-year-old cornerback Chad Scott, who's scheduled to make $3.885 million next season. Scott, the Steelers' No. 1 pick in the 1997 draft, is an aging commodity whose stock had dropped even before suffering a knee injury this past season that forced him to miss nine games. If he doesn't re-negotiate, he'll be gone.

There's even speculation that some other veterans - tight end Jay Riemersma or defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen for example - may be cut due to salary cap implications.

And while trying to figure out ways to save money, the Steelers are also trying to spend it, too, by bringing back many of their own free agents or going out and signing someone else's. The only high-profile free agent the Steelers signed last year was Staley.

"This is like a game," Colbert said of dealing with the salary cap, free agency and the draft. "You prepare, but once the game starts to unfold, you adapt and make adjustments.

"When we signed Duce last year, obviously, that changed our draft plans, because running back wasn't such a priority. So what you do in free agency effects what you do in the draft."

Colbert said that teams change "almost 16 to 20 guys" each season. That was almost the case this past season for the 16-2 Steelers, who were beaten by the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game. They had 14 new players on their opening day roster: Staley, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, cornerbacks Ricardo Colclough and Willie Williams, linebacker James Harrison, defensive end Travis Kirschke, safety and Ainsley Battles, punter Chris Gardocki, tight end Matt Kranchick, tackle Max Starks, guard Jim Jones, wide receiver Sean Morey, running back Willie Parker and defensive end Brett Keisel (who sat out last season with a shoulder injury).

As far as who the Steelers might sign via free agency this year, it depends on which of their own they re-sign.

In general, Colbert said the overall NFL free agent pool isn't strong ("That's because more teams are doing a better job of keeping their own players, thus there are less good players available," he said).

As of now, Colbert believes the annual draft of college talent looks strong, but reserves the right to change his opinion pending what he observes at the combine, which will be held Wednesday through March 1.

"When you go into this time period, you have to be prepared," Colbert said. "But you also have to be flexible because things can change quickly."

Va Beach VH Fan
02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13997794&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Plax may be a goner
By: Mike Bires - Times Sports Staff
02/20/2005

PITTSBURGH - Regardless of what transpires in the next few weeks, Kevin Colbert will never forget Plaxico Burress.

In the spring of 2000, just two months after Pittsburgh Steelers hired him as their director of football operations, Colbert laid the groundwork for the drafting of Burress.

The tall, athletic wide receiver out of Michigan State would become the first draft pick of the Colbert era in Pittsburgh.

Five years later, however, the Steelers and Burress have reached a crossroad.

As an unrestricted free agent, Burress will test the free agent market. Although he has yet to earn Pro Bowl honors, as his fellow Steeler wideout Hines Ward has the past four seasons, Burress will undoubtedly be offered a lucrative contract that will be too high for the Steelers to match.

When asked about the chances of retaining Burress, Colbert answered in generalities.

"I'll answer that with our general philosophy," Colbert said. "When you get good players, you want to try and keep them. We've said all along that we'll try to keep as many of our own as possible.

"But we're not always going to be successful doing that just because of the economics. Another team with a different (salary) cap situation may make it impossible for you."

Several teams - the Baltimore Ravens, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys among them - need help at wide receiver. On March 2 when all franchises must adjust to the 2005 salary cap, one of those teams just might make Burress an offer he can't refuse, or an offer the Steelers can't match.

And remember, that after the Steelers lost to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game, Burress said he had probably played his last game in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers could slap a "franchise" tag on Burress. But historically, the Steelers aren't advocates of franchising players.

Each team is allowed to name one franchise player at a one-year contract that's the average of the top five highest-players in the league at his position. If the Steelers tag Burress as a franchise player, they would have to pay him $7.8 million this season.

It's unlikely they'll do that.

First of all, it's unlikely the Steelers will pay anybody that kind of money. As of now, the three highest-paid contracts on the team belong to running back Jerome Bettis ($4.48 million), center Jeff Hartings ($4.2 million) and tackle Marvel Smith ($3.95 million).

Secondly, the Steelers aren't going to pay Burress more than Ward, who's led the team in receiving in each of the past five seasons and ranks second on the franchise's all-time receptions chart.

Even though Ward has one year left on his existing contract - he's due to make $1.668 million this season - the Steelers have promised to re-negotiate his contract before the 2005 season begins.

"Officially, I can say we have a franchise tag at our disposal. But we're not real big on it," Colbert said. "We don't like to use it if we don't have to, because really, you want to come to an agreement that the organization and the player and his agent are happy with. And if you use the franchise tag, you have to have that amount of (salary cap) room available because that's usually a big number."

Only once in Colbert's five years with the team have the Steelers exercised their franchise-player option. That was in February of 2002 when they tagged outside linebacker Jason Gildon, who was cut by the Steelers last June. But a week after franchising Gildon three years ago, the Steelers removed the tag by signing him to a five-year contract.

If a player receives a franchise tag, he may sign an offer sheet from another team. But the original team has the right to match that offer. If the original team declines to match the offer, it receives two first-round draft picks.

If the Steelers want to franchise Burress, they must do so by Tuesday.

Free agency starts March 2.

If the Steelers don't re-sign Burress, they will likely sign one of the NFL free agent wide receivers or select a wideout in the early rounds of the April 23-24 draft.

"The free agent group of wide receivers as it as stands right now isn't a real deep group," Colbert said. "But in the draft, at this point in time, we think it's a good group."

As far as wanting to keep Burress in Pittsburgh, Colbert said that's the Steelers' intention.

"Plax being the first guy we picked when I got here has nothing do with it," Colbert said. "If he helps the team win as he has done, we want to keep him."

But ultimately, it's going to come down to dollars.

POJO_Risin
02-20-2005, 11:51 AM
keep the dollars...draft...or Housh...fuck Plax...he shouldn't get anywhere near Ward dollars...that's just ridiculous...

and 7.85 as a fucking franchised player?

Fucking Indy this year...and raising that figure...bunch of gay faggots...

POJO_Risin
02-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Okay...Mason and Rolle both out there...I'm sure Pittsburgh will be looking at both...although Mason is more of a Ward-like receiver...

and Rolle...never liked him...but would be an upgrade...would depend on who we dump...and what we have to sign...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Sportsbeat was saying tonight that Plax will NOT be franchised....

You can throw Coles in that WR mix as well, along with Porter probably....

POJO_Risin
02-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Screw Coles and Porter...they both talk as much as Plax...and drop MORE balls if that's possible...

They need a deep threat yes...but one that other teams take seriously...

POJO_Risin
02-22-2005, 10:15 AM
You know...all these receivers in the free agent market aren't going to help Plax get the money he wants...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Porter resigned with the Raydahs, so much for him...

POJO_Risin
02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Why would you want Porter anyways?...ugh...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-23-2005, 07:52 PM
I think he was a by-product of a shitty offense for a deep threat WR....

Anyway, I don't like the idea of a 1st or 2nd round WR, he just ain't gonna be ready to play, and having Randle El or Hines in Plax's spot wasn't exactly fluid offensively speaking...

Of course, they won all those games he was out though....

POJO_Risin
02-24-2005, 03:01 PM
lmfao...I really don't think they'll draft a guy thinking he'd be ready...I still think free agency is a possibility...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Well, on Monday's Sportsbeat, the thinking was in the draft they'd go;

WR
DT
TE

or

DT
WR
TE

POJO_Risin
02-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Did I miss something?...

um...corner?

and TE...I think if Miller drops...you can't pass him up...

I just hate wasting a 1 on a fucking Tight End...

They are obviously planning on answering their cornerback issues with free agency...

damn it would be nice to have a shut down corner...

SRK
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
The Steelers do need help at corner ,I was at the championship game..Brady was coming up with big passes pretty much anytime he wanted ...Branch just made to many catches...Maybe one of our young corners will step up...But it will be tempting to take a good corner.

POJO_Risin
02-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I just don't think we have the answer at corner right now...

ultimately...it takes corners...generally a year or 2 to develop...unless you have a top 10 pick...and they don't...

I'd rather them go out and get someone to play corner that wants to be there...they don't need a top guy...just a consistent guy that doesn't get beat deep...

SRK
02-24-2005, 10:24 PM
One things for sure its time to get rid of SCOTT ....really past time. I would love for the steelers to get someone in free agency , but it would surprise me if they do.

POJO_Risin
02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Look...the one thing I can always count on from the Steelers is that they can find quality on the waiver wire...the key is to find the cap room...

so the cuts will be interesting...

but Scott is sure to be one of them...

SRK
02-24-2005, 11:45 PM
They do have a knack for finding free agents that are diamonds in the rough ala, James Farrior and von Oelhoffen who at the time where not really sought after by very many other teams. One things for sure , we are very close to getting to the next level. lets just hope we make the right moves.

POJO_Risin
02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
The key is the development of the QB...

I like Roeth...he's a good prospect...

but he really struggled after the Philly victory.

They are very close to putting something really good together...really good...

they are a secondary...and filling the holes they'll have when they make cuts away...

I think they can fill the holes...it's the secondary I'm worried about...because teams are going to go after them this coming year...I'm frankly surprised it didn't happen more this year...

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
I'd be curious to see who they are looking at with the Corner position in mind...

most are thinking Rolle...but I think he's past his prime...I just don't know...we'll see...

SRK
02-25-2005, 12:11 AM
It should be interesting. I`M VERY EXCITED ABOUT NEXT SEASON .I just became a season ticket holder toward the end of last season . I got to go to both playoff games. I `M looking forward to many great seasons and maybe a couple of Super Bowls.... we will see, time will tell

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Hopefully...there will be a shitload of pressure next season...that is for sure...

either they'll rebound like they did when they lost to the Chargers in 94...

or...Cowher will get canned...;)

SRK
02-25-2005, 12:26 AM
You are right about the pressure ...the steelers won`t be able to sneak up on anyone thats for sure ....Lets just hope that Cowher finally wins the big one .

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Well...he'd have been more ready than the Eagles were in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl...that's for sure...

and Lou...before you get all hot and bothered...the Eagles just looked tired...that had to infuriate you...

SRK
02-25-2005, 12:45 AM
I think Cowher will win at least one before its all said and done.

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't know...I sometime's wonder...mistakes have killed him...in the big games...because it seems as though they are always playing from behind in the big games...

that needs fixed...

SRK
02-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Yea that needs fixed . Over all its been turnovers in the big games that have done them in . You can`t turn the ball over like that in the big games. ALTHOUGH I STILL THINK HE SHOULD HAVE WENT FOR 6 IN THE LAST GAME.

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh...I agree...but the reason there are mistakes...is because they are playing from behind...

you rush...you make mistakes...

if they don't get down...or stay real close...they generally win...

If I were Cowher...I'd have been playing Nickel D's...and some Zones...to make sure I don't get beat deep...

but hey...hindsight is 20/20...

ALinChainz
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Steelers release Scott, Riemersma in salary cap moves

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

February 25, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers released cornerback Chad Scott and tight end Jay Riemersma on Friday in a pair of salary-cap moves that had been anticipated since their season ended last month.

The Steelers were only $500,000 under the salary cap at season's end and, partly because of the numerous performance bonuses they paid following their 15-1 regular season, they needed to trim several contracts.

The bonuses, including the more than $2 million paid rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, count against next season's $85.5 million cap that goes into effect Tuesday.

Scott was a Steelers starter for six-plus seasons before injuring a knee Oct. 17 against Dallas. He was unable to beat out former backup Willie Williams after returning in December and spent the rest of the season and the playoffs as a reserve, though he did start the meaningless Jan. 2 game at Buffalo.

Scott's $3,885,000 base salary last season was the highest for a Steelers defensive starter. He was due to make $3,885,000 in 2005 and $4,297,000 in 2006, as part of the $25 million, six-year contract he signed in 2001.

The Steelers clear about $9 million in salary cap over the next two seasons by releasing Scott, who made 19 interceptions in 91 career games. He will count about $1 million per season against the cap through 2006, the prorated share of his $5.45 million signing bonus in 2001.

Riemersma, 31, signed with the Steelers in 2003 during their brief and unsuccessful transition to a pass-heavy offense after Tommy Maddox beat out Kordell Stewart at quarterback. But Riemersma caught only 10 passes in 11 starts as the Steelers went 6-10 in 2003, then spent 2004 as backup playing mostly on passing downs. He had 17 catches for 220 yards and three touchdowns in his two Steelers seasons.

The Steelers still must clear additional salary cap room and will likely do so by either re-signing running back Jerome Bettis to a less-burdensome contract or releasing him. Bettis is also weighing an offer from ESPN to become an NFL analyst, though it is believed he would prefer to play another season.

Bettis accepted a $2.7 million pay cut to $1 million last year, when he started the season as Duce Staley's backup. After gaining at least 100 yards in all but one of his eight starts last season, he is believed to want about $2 million in 2005 base salary -- or as much as he would count against the cap the next two seasons should the Steelers release him.

Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, is due to make $4,484,000 in 2005 and $5,351,000 in 2006, with an additional $1 million per season counting against the cap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelersmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 07:01 PM
The first 2 casualties...

I think the Steelers will sign him for a Mil and a half...since he is a backup...

or just dump him...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-25-2005, 07:41 PM
FINALLY !!!!!

Sayonara Scott....

By the way, the reason they probably won't grab a CB early is because they're thinking Colclough should be ready for a starting spot....

More cash will be saved by Wednesday by either restucturing the Bus' contract or he retires....

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Well...he's going to count 2 million against the cap irregardless...now that I've looked into it...

Bettis is saying...pay me 2 million...and I'll play...seems to make some sense...

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 07:45 PM
And to Plax and Hines...respectively...

#'s don't mean everying...

rings do...

http://www.greatsportsrivalries.com/70s/swann_stall_cut300.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
02-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Plax will go where the money is, no doubt about that.....

He could give a shit less about the rings, you could tell right after the Pats game....

Rather than talk about the team, he wouldn't shut up about how he doesn't get the ball enough....

Maybe if he caught the balls he was thrown, like the one in the endzone in the Pats game, he'd get more thrown to him....

By the way, I'm hearing Plax to the Giants.....

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 09:39 PM
He'd be perfect for the Giants...Ike Hilliard and Amani...both notorious ball droppers...and add Plax to the mix...and Eli will be looking like Stoudt more and more...and probably not his fault...

POJO_Risin
02-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Yo Va...don't you have a feeling that the Steelers are thinking they have a move to make...maybe KNOW of a guy or two who are knocking on their door at WR?...

I don't know why I'm thinking this...but I just have a feeling that the Steelers are going to have a good deep threat by April...we'll see...but I'm almost counting on it...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I would agree that I don't think they'd be naive enough to believe that they would be good to go with either the present set of WR's, or even to add a WR in the draft....

But most free agent WR's are gonna cost plenty enough in itself.... I don't know who would be knocking on the door that the Steelers would realistically pay for....

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 03:18 PM
It depends what they'll pay...I'm not saying there's somebody out there right now that is calling the Steelers saying please pick me...but...in the same respect...I'll bet you the Steelers have their eye on a guy or two...

SRK
02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
The Steelers sign Bettis to a one year 1.5 mil deal
.http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05057/463504.stm

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
The first 2 casualties...

I think the Steelers will sign him for a Mil and a half...since he is a backup...

or just dump him...

Well...something good...and they save another 500 grand...well...shit...more than that...2 mil total...

nice...

and they don't have to draft a running back until next year...although perhaps you get one late...who knows...there's a lot of good ones in this draft...

SRK
02-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Well I`m glad he will finish up a Steeler ,and hopefully with a SUPER BOWL win in his home town. That would be a classic ending for a class player.

POJO_Risin
02-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Well...and 10 years in the Steeler jersey...can't believe it's been that long...

SRK
02-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Yea , I remember watching the draft and seeing the trade go down. SEEM LIKE JUST A FEW YEARS AGO.

SRK
02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I am really ready to see what moves the Steelers will make in free agency. This should be a very interesting off season

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling they're going to be very quiet....

Dunno, just a feeling...

POJO_Risin
02-27-2005, 02:55 PM
When are they not quiet?

I'm not saying they are going to come out with a big ole' pen...

but I do think they'll make their as usual quiet 2 or 3 seemingly meaningless pickups...that will turn into starters...

That's why when you mentioned Housh...it made a bit of sense...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Well, relatively speaking...

The Staley signing last year wasn't a quiet signing...

POJO_Risin
02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
At 32...many people thought that Staley was past his prime...and done...and being that he was injured half the year...and lost his job to Bettis...

well...were they wrong?

I'd say it was a very typical Steeler signing...

under the radar...

SRK
03-01-2005, 05:12 PM
LARRY FOOTE agrees to 5 year deal.

http://secure2.steelers.com/article/51250/

Va Beach VH Fan
03-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Good signing....

See ya Bell... Damn, he's got the "P" word (potential) to be All-Pro, but the bastard can't stay on the field....

But with Foote and James Harrison, they more than made up for him....

In addition, Farrior restructured his contract to free up more money...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
NOTE TO PITTSBURGH STEELERS:

You guys can start the free agent signings ANY TIME NOW.....

See, this is what pisses me off....

They're close, CLOSE to the promised land....

They just need to tweak a few positions and they're right back in shape to contend for a SB berth again....

But the tweaking is going to HINDER rather than HELP if you wait until all of the decent free agents are gone...

Mason, gone.... AND TO THE FUCKING RAVENS....

Housh, resigned with the Bungles...

Word is that Plax is close to signing with the Vikings....

I fear they're going to wait until the draft, when they'll select a marginal WR in the 1st or 2nd round, who won't be a contributor for at least a year....

Oh well, why should this offseason be any different.....

POJO_Risin
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Housh resigning pisses me off...don't care about Mason...Plax going is now a worry...

Pittsburgh is fucking up...I concur...

maybe they know something we don't...doubt it...but you never know...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Dunno....

Maybe a possible trade up in the draft ??

They HAVE to know with the #30 pick they're not going to get a Williams or Edwards-type of receiver, although this is considered a deep draft for WR's...

Rikk
03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
This is fucking depressing. Usually when I think a team probably knows something I don't, they don't.

(I was a Toronto Maple Leaf fan at one point in my life...)

POJO_Risin
03-02-2005, 08:45 PM
But Va...you know as well as I do...those 2 guys will step right in...and they'll be the only ones...

I'd love to get fucking Williams...love 2...

hmmm...how about this...

Minny takes Burress...and Pittsburgh trades Minny a first and 2nd or first and 3rd to move up to 7...and get Williams?

Minny maybe trying to stack some picks...to reload that D...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Day 2...

Their collective thumbs continue to be crammed up their collective asses....

Unfuckingbelievable, the ONLY thing I've seen that the Steelers are even REMOTELY doing is with this cheesehead....

http://www.greenbaynewschron.com/packers/page.html?article=130296

JUE, KAMPMAN DRAW INTEREST
While the Packers don't have the means to make a big splash in free agency, a couple more of their free agents are being courted.

A league source said backup safety Bhawoh Jue, an unrestricted free agent, visited San Diego on Wednesday.

Starting defensive end Aaron Kampman, a restricted free agent, apparently is on Pittsburgh's radar. Green Bay tendered him at the lowest level, so a team would have to part with only a fifth-round draft pick if it signs him without resistance from the Packers.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2005, 08:17 PM
DAY FUCKING 3....

Why is that I'm imagining Cowher and Colbert like Rip Van Winkle ???

Ya know, it's literally unbelievable to read dozens of websites and not read that the Steelers are looking at ANYONE.....

Now tonight, I was watching Sportsbeat and Stan said that they might be looking at Corey Bradford....

OH SHIT, STOP THE PRESSES !!!!

Might as well size up the rings now, they're looking at Corey Bradford !!!

Just a tad bit of sarcasm in there.....

POJO_Risin
03-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Corey Bradford...you have to be fucking kidding...

ALinChainz
03-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm really hoping you guys can land Bradford.

:D

lol

Va Beach VH Fan
03-05-2005, 08:47 AM
OK, more tidbits of a MAJOR resigning....

Willie Fucking Williams....

Nothing like a 34 year old CB who gives 15 yards of cushion on all pass routes....

And OT Oliver Ross signed with Arizona for 5 years, 17.5 million....

POJO_Risin
03-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Well...what can you do Va...sure you want to sign some of these guys...but when you ass end is up against the cap...what the fuck can you do?

Williams is insurance...and I'm sure...cheap.

The problem here is they are creating cap room to sign their picks...by again...fucking restructuring contracts every year isn't the answer...sooner or later...it's going to bite them in the ass...what...4 or 5 restructures so far this year?...with more to come?

We may be a year away from a major restructuring...

POJO_Risin
03-05-2005, 11:07 AM
But the good news is we're about to sign the fucking KICKER to a five year deal...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
And don't forget Hines' extension that is sure to be quite steep....

POJO_Risin
03-05-2005, 11:50 AM
No doubt...and a big guarantee payout...with the bonus...no doubt about it....

It's not going to be pretty...

Does it amaze you as much as me Va how the Steelers...every damn year...have no wiggle room...and no chance for wiggle room...

ALinChainz
03-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Steelers | Wilson to Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:23:12 -0800

Citing the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, ESPN.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers were expected to conduct a visit with free agent WR Cedrick Wilson (49ers) Sunday, March 6. Wilson was scheduled to fly into Pittsburgh Sunday night and meet with Steelers officials at the team's practice facility Monday, March 7.

Steelers | Williams Contract Update - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:16:15 -0800

ESPN.com reports the contract signed by Pittsburgh Steelers CB Willie Williams is a two-year deal worth $2.5 million including a $500,000 signing bonus.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Oh Lord have Mercy.....

The graying CB gets over a mil a year....

The dime-a-dozen kicker gets over a mil a year....

They're thinking about replacing a 6'5" receiver with a 5'10" receiver....

I may be doing some heavy drinking this coming year....

Me and Poj may just be having 6 hour drunken conversations during the football season.... ;)

[[ Hey, I need to catch up my post count anyways, right ?? ]]

SRK
03-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Steelers pick up Wilson . http://secure2.steelers.com/article/51329/

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one....

They say the guy's got good speed....

They say he's a much better receiver than his stats indicate because he had a shitty QB throwing to him....

But the word is that this guy's gonna be the #3 receiver, with Randle El moving up to the starting slot....

If he's got the skills of Randle El, I'll take that....

Va Beach VH Fan
03-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Like I said, time will tell....

A lot of people say that height is overrated in the WR position...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05068/468456.stm

Steelers add WR to mix
Sign 49ers' Wilson; Chiefs lock up Bell
Wednesday, March 09, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The doors to the Steelers' UPMC complex swing out to open. Yesterday, they took on the form of revolving doors as Cedrick Wilson entered and Kendrell Bell and Plaxico Burress left.

Wilson, a small but speedy receiver, signed a four-year, $8 million contract with a $2 million signing bonus to join the Steelers as a free agent from the San Francisco 49ers.

Bell, the Steelers' dynamic and enigmatic inside linebacker, signed a seven-year contract to become the middle linebacker in the Kansas City Chiefs' 4-3 defense. He received a reported $3.5 million signing bonus with $10 million guaranteed.

Burress hasn't officially left the Steelers, but Wilson's signing guaranteed it. Burress is scheduled to visit the New York Giants today, two days after he failed to show because his agent said he was ill.

Wilson, at 5 feet 10, is 7 1/2 inches shorter than Burress, but his total contract is less than what Burress was demanding in a signing bonus, and the Steelers believe his speed will make up for his size.

"He adds an element of speed, and that's something we want to upgrade," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations. "And it gives us another threat. Another thing is, getting a guy like Cedrick, he's only 26 years old. So you're getting an experienced guy but an experienced guy with an upside, and that's always a good way to do it."

Wilson and Antwaan Randle El are expected to compete for Burress' old starting job at split end, and the other will move into the slot, which has been Randle El's job the past three seasons.

"Everybody has to fight for a job, and I'm definitely going to fight to start," Wilson said. "That's my goal. I could play outside; I could play inside. It really doesn't matter to me. I can do it all."

Wilson came into his own in his fourth season after the 49ers drafted him in the sixth round from Tennessee in 2001. He caught 47 passes for 641 yards in 15 games last year before his left fibula was broken. It has healed, and the Steelers passed him medically. He also returned kickoffs and punts for the 49ers, mostly in 2003.

Wilson was not bashful about his abilities, either.

"My strength is my quickness and my speed. My stop and start, I think, is better than any receiver's in the National Football League. It's something that I'll definitely be able to show the league, by having a good quarterback with a great running game and a darn good offensive line. And our defense here is awesome and our special teams are awesome. We were only one game away, and we're definitely going to get there."

The Steelers were the only team Wilson visited and, while he met the owners, the coaches and members of the front office, he can't wait to meet his delivery man, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"He has a big arm," Wilson said, "and that's something that I think that, with my talent and his arm, we can really make some things happen."

The Steelers wanted a speedy receiver to replace Burress, whose early demands for a contract and his inconsistencies on the field prompted them to look elsewhere.

"That's one of the reasons why I was brought here, to stretch the field," said Wilson, who estimated his 40 speed at 4.3 to 4.4. "That's my deal. I'm a 5-10 receiver and I'm built on speed, and that's what I'm looking to do.

"It allows me to create tons of separation from defensive backs. Definitely with the new rule, those guys can't hold on as much. And fast receivers are becoming lethal weapons in this league."

POJO_Risin
03-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Fuck Cedrick Wilson...

talk about a fucking downgrade...

Height isn't overrated...when you use it to make a qb look damn fucking good...

how many catches did Plax catch last year that perhaps only 1 or 2 other guys could have in the league?

I love Ben...great QB...but he isn't going to be as great with Cedrick or Randal-El as starters...

that being said...I hope they make me eat my fucking words...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Fuck Cedrick Wilson...

talk about a fucking downgrade...

Height isn't overrated...when you use it to make a qb look damn fucking good...

how many catches did Plax catch last year that perhaps only 1 or 2 other guys could have in the league?

I love Ben...great QB...but he isn't going to be as great with Cedrick or Randal-El as starters...

that being said...I hope they make me eat my fucking words...

I hear ya bro, but couldn't you also say that Plax DIDN'T catch plenty of balls that a 6'5" receiver SHOULD have caught ??

I have to keep going back to the AFC Champ. game, he horribly mistimed that jump, and the defenders weren't really in a position to deflect that ball...

He catches that ball and the Steelers "may" have been Super Bowl champs, ya know, momentum would have been completely on their side after that....

I know, I know, a lot of things went wrong that game, I'm not going to blame Plax for losing that game...

For one thing, he doesn't play defense.... ;)

SRK
03-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Well lets just hope that the small , fast, WRs are back " in" the NFL AND The Steelers are ahead of the curve.With the new rules I think smaller speed WRs may be the latest thing. As far as Plax goes ,He never really had a grasp of how to adjust to the ball , never really was good with the fade....and never made that many clutch catches , along with too many mental errors.

SRK
03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I think Randal-El will make a good starting WR.

POJO_Risin
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Well...I really walk a fine line with Plax. He truly is one of the top 4 or 5 gifted receivers in the league when he wants to be. last year, that was when he was healthy...which was the first 2/3rds of the year...once Ben was in there. Ben's #'s went down drastically after he was injured...not a game or 2 after...the week he went down...really...so did Ben. Just look at the stats.

As for Wilson...I see him as a poor man's Deion Branch or Steve Smith from Carolina...and not as good as either. perhaps a change of scenery will bring some stats his way. I don't like Randal-El as a starter...I like him as the slot guy...the wild card. I think if teams focus on him...they'll be able to shut him down a bit...

like I said...I hope they prove me wrong.

I don't hate the Cedrick move...but don't like it. It's a huge gamble, taking away Ben's real #1...and replacing him with a questionable starter...Randal-El or Wilson.

I'm more pissed off about their cap positioning. Something isn't being done right in Pittsburgh...and it's time it was addressed in management...not with the players...

what I'm fearing is an extended period of sucking...and soon...with the goddamned cap hit they are going to be taking with all these SanFran like restructured contracts...

SRK
03-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Ty Law makes visit to the Steelers. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_312267.html

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I was just going to post this...

If they get him cheap...so be it...

how about Plax...he's NOT going to get the money he thought...

a possible Steeler return?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I will absolutely shit my pants if they sign Law, I just don't see any way they can do it...

Of course, I don't do their books either.... ;)

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Not considering what the fucker turned down from the Pats as a slap in the face...

it would have to be a fucking MONSTER hometown discount...

Not liking what I'm seeing about Burress in the least...you want to talk about making a team scary on fucking offense...

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't mind the Minny signing...but check out this...

Eagles still talking about Burress
March 11
Philadelphia Daily News (registration required): "Plaxico Burress was said to be in Minnesota last night, preparing for today's free-agent visit with the Vikings, who seem most likely to sign the former Pittsburgh Steelers wideout. But the Eagles are lurking on the fringes of the Burress situation, hoping to snag a bargain."

Burress and TO...that would be an interesting combo...

that...or they'll end up killing each other while on bad drugs...

SRK
03-11-2005, 08:39 PM
The way the local media have been playing this Law thing ,is that he wanted to make the visit and the Steelers where more than happy to accept the visit. I don`t know if thats how it went down ,but the media around here seemed to have had no idea about the visit until it happened. They seem to think he made a special effort to speak to the Steelers....... so you never know.

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
He may be using the Steelers to drum up the price...but it was a surprise...I can guarantee you that...

if it wasn't...the Post Gazette would have been all over it...and they have nothing about it...

SRK
03-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Yea but the Steelers are not exactly the team to go to ...to drive up the price ....most teams know they can out bid them....He may just be thinking of spending a year or two near his home town.....or may be its nothing at all ...who knows?

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 08:55 PM
No...what I'm saying is...

he's using his hometown presence to make it look like he wants to sign at a bargain...

some team gets an itch for a corner...and tries to knock his socks off...it happens all the time...

He could sign for a year though...at a bargain price...to show everyone he's healthy...

but then you have to ask why he turned down the 6 year 24 million dollar deal...from the Pats...

SRK
03-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Well I think Law and Bill Belichick soured on each other and where lucky to be together last season... Law also had a beef on how the
team handled his foot injury....I know the Jets are said to be interested too....It sure would be great to see the Steelers make a move on this though...

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Well...

Ty Law isn't worse than the guys the Steelers have...

I just don't know that he's better...

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 09:20 PM
injuries and age...and he wasn't good last year...but injured...

SRK
03-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Yea thats whats running through my head too ...but look at Woodson...He looked like he had seen his better days...coming off an injury and then he went on to play a few more quality years ....you never can tell...then again Law is no Woodson......

POJO_Risin
03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
And Woodson moved to safety...which is what I wanted the Steelers to do...

SRK
03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Yea even the Rooneys admit that letting Woodson go was a big mistake. ....I don`t know maybe I`m just eager for them to make a major move....They are so close to the big one ...I would hate to see it slip by again...

POJO_Risin
03-12-2005, 06:31 PM
We will see...

The interesting thing about Law is that he may never play again at even 75% of what he was...only 2 players have ever come back from his injury...

but he'll get a big deal...from someone desperate...

like KC...who he is scheduled to visit on Monday...

it WAS Ty's idea to call the Steelers...but...

here's what I'm thinking...he caught some bad press...so Ty's at home visiting his sick mother...and his agent knows how class Rooney is...so he has Ty visit the Steelers...giving them hope to sign him (there isn't)...and Rooney comes out and kisses his ass...saying what a good guy he is...

and bam...instant respectability...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Not liking what I'm seeing about Burress in the least...you want to talk about making a team scary on fucking offense...

Just got back from a couple days in Jersey for work....

They New York papers are just shredding Plax after the Giants pulled their offer....

BTW, if you want a synopsis of how my trip went, just read this....

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18354

SRK
03-12-2005, 08:26 PM
You have a good point there...We will see....Just wondering what pos. you think we should look at in the first round of the draft... After that AFC championship game I `m kinda leaning toward the defense.

SRK
03-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Burress will never live up to his full talent ...He should have taken what they offered...He will not get an offer close to that now...He claims he wants to be the main WR and there was his chance...I`ll never forget sitting in the cold watching him choke in the AFC championship game ...then having the nerve to whine that they never put enough preasure on him ...That he wanted more of a role in the games.... give me a break...

POJO_Risin
03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't know about not living up to his potential...

but he does have a big fucking mouth...and is asking for way to much fucking money...

SRK
03-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Well he really has not done much in his 1st 5 seasons. A couple good seasons but don`t you think he could have done better. I mean the way he talks you would think he was up there with the elite wrs.....I can`t remember very many game winning catches. I think he never had that natrual ability to adjust to the ball for a man his size . He can be good just not consistantly good, but maybe he will prove me wrong who knows.

SRK
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Three players to visit with Steelers.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_313055.html[/url

New agent says PLAX wants to be a Miami dolphin. [url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_313055.html

SRK
03-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Plax wants to be a Miami dolphin.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/14/w2c_roundup_0314.html

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Plax doesn't want to be anywhere...but where they pay him. Fuck him...let him goto the dolphins...the whining bitch...he deserves AJ Feeley or Frerote as his fucking starter...what a bitch...

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Hmmmmmmmm....

Ty Law apparently had a physical with the Steelers yesderday before heading to Kansas City...

he won't admit it...but...it happened...

This is getting interesting...

you get the impression that there may be a hometown deal in the works...

again...he could just be playing the Steelers...who knows...but...

Ty Law meets with Steelers
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
03/15/2005

PITTSBURGH - Although a team spokesman wouldn't officially confirm or deny that Ty Law was examined by team physicians, at least three sources said that the former New England Patriots cornerback did visit again with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday.

One of those sources was a high-ranking Steelers official.

And after stopping by Steelers headquarters on the South Side of Pittsburgh, Law flew to Kansas City where he's meeting with Chiefs officials.

A Chiefs spokesman confirmed that Law, an Aliquippa native, had arrived at Kansas City International Airport late Monday afternoon and that the Chiefs had made arrangements to pick Law up at the airport.

Law, released by the Patriots three weeks ago because of salary cap concerns, first visited with the Steelers on Thursday.

"I'm trying to stay low-key and not say too much about it," Law said Saturday after watching Aliquippa beat Quaker Valley in a PIAA basketball playoff game at Duquesne University's Palumbo Center. "I'm here until Monday. I have to go back and visit with the Steelers again and then I have to go make a couple more stops."

Even though their top four cornerbacks are under contract, the Steelers are interested in Law pending a health report on Law's injured foot.

Law, 31, suffered a season-ending mid-foot fracture in the Patriots' loss to the Steelers on Oct. 31 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. In January, Law underwent surgery to repair ligament damage in his foot.

Beside the Steelers and Chiefs, other teams that may be interested in Law include the Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and Dallas Cowboys.

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 05:58 PM
So much for that...lmfao...

Cornerback Ty Law met with Steelers team doctors yesterday and they rejected him for medical reasons. Law, released by the New England Patriots last month, has a fractured foot known as a Lis Franc injury.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Dispatch

It could be a ploy to get him cheap...but like I said before...only 2 players have ever come back from this injury (one was Duce Staley)...the difference though is that those 2 other guys were both 23 and 24 years old...

Law is 31...

he may be done...

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm guessing these are 2 of the three guys that have met with the Steelers from that other post...

Check out the Plax post though...interesting...

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said they would not rule out Burress' return. "A lot of strange things can happen in free agency," Colbert said.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Right tackle Stocker McDougle was one of four players who visited the Steelers yesterday and likely the only one they are seriously interested in.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Adrian Klemm, an offensive tackle who spent the past five seasons with the Patriots, said that "I just want a fresh start" after meeting with Steelers coaches, administrators and trainers. "(The Steelers) didn't promise me anything except to give me the opportunity to compete for a starting role. That's all I can ask," said Klemm, who's frequently been injured during his pro career. "I don't plan on being a backup."
-- Beaver County Times

Va Beach VH Fan
03-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Al's cronies are reporting that the Fins are going to sign McDougle...

He'd be a decent signing, the guy's a monster...

I think Klemm wouldn't be bad, per se, but Starks looked damn good when he got a chance to play last year....

Plax is just getting tore up in the press.... From what I've read, he was offered a pretty damn big deal from the Giants and turned it down....

POJO_Risin
03-15-2005, 06:11 PM
would be a humbling experience if he had to crawl back to the Steelers...

but you'd then see the bottom feeders make a relatively big deal to him...like the Eagles...

they are just waiting...if they get him...good for them...if they don't...who cares...

I'm confident the Steelers will sign a guy that fits into their line picture...not to worried about it...they are usually pretty good at getting guys cheap that are damn good...and just haven't gotten a shot...

SRK
03-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Plax goes to Giants....http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8301569

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2005, 08:32 PM
And another Steeler restructures his contract...

Marvel Smith re-did his today....

POJO_Risin
03-20-2005, 07:15 PM
These fucking restructures are going to kill them down the road...

at this point...they are setting up for the draft...

who knows what will happen at this point...

but I don't like any of it...

POJO_Risin
03-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Or...it could be a sign they are going to be signing Hines to a long term deal...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I actually read a rumor on the Steelers board claiming that they're going to trade Porter and a draft pick to the Dolphins for their #2 draft pick...

I'll believe that when I see it....

ALinChainz
03-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Hines deal will most certainly create some cap space as well as tie him up for probably the next 5 seasons.

The Fins #2 is a nice idea if they can do it.

POJO_Risin
03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
I think that's a local rumor...no way they deal Porter and probably a 1 or 2 for that pick...the only reason you do that...is to get Michigan boy...

but that's a high freakin' price for a receiver...game breaker or not...

ALinChainz
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Steelers | Wilson Thrilled About Playing with Roethlisberger - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:13:38 -0700

Joe Bendel, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers new WR Cedrick Wilson is thrilled about having QB Ben Roethlisberger as his quarterback. "Wow, that guy," Wilson said. "I don't want to say anything bad (about other quarterbacks), but the truth is, I never had the type of talent at quarterback that Ben brings to the table. He's an awesome guy. He's an awesome player. I've been watching him on film a lot and watching him scramble out of the pocket. Being a big guy and being able to do scramble like that, it's like, 'Wow.' He definitely brings a lot to the table." Wilson departed the San Francisco 49ers in free agency this year.

Steelers | Ward Not Concerned About Contract - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:13:34 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward expressed no concerns regarding his contract status and whether he will receive a new, long-term deal from the team. "I'm here today. I'm ready to go out there and continue being a leader, and working hard," Ward said. "That's really up to my agent (Roosevelt Barnes) and the Steelers. It's out of my control now." As reported, Ward is entering the final year of his contract in 2005.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't care if Wilson's happy or not, I still want them to grab Jones...

But knowing my luck, they'll grab some center from Palooka State #1...

ALinChainz
04-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Steelers re-sign Keisel, Morey, Rasby, St. Pierre

April 13, 2005
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Brett Keisel, a restricted free agent defensive end who could play a bigger role this season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, has accepted the team's $656,000 tender offer.

Keisel, credited with six tackles last season as a backup, could see more playing time behind 34-year-old defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen.

The Steelers also signed special teams player Sean Morey and tight end Walter Rasby to one-year contracts, Morey for $455,000 and Rasby for $765,000 as well as third-string quarterback Brian St. Pierre, who played in one game last year.

Morey, a former Philadelphia Eagles special teams captain, was claimed by Pittsburgh just before the start of last season and made 11 solo tackles. He also caught his first career pass.

Rasby, who broke into the NFL with the Steelers in 1994 as a rookie free agent, re-signed with them in December to replace the injured Jay Riemersma and played in their final six games. Rasby has also played for the Panthers, Lions, Redskins and Saints.

POJO_Risin
04-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Isn't Palooka State located in Happy Valley?

ALinChainz
04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Of course named after it's most memoable alumni ... Joe.

POJO_Risin
04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
lmfao...

I'm so dissatisfied with the Steelers this year...status quo and losing a star isn't going to do it...Pittsburgh will be lucky to win the division this year...

ALinChainz
04-13-2005, 07:34 PM
It's really early yet with the draft coming up, you can't believe anything anyone is saying at this point.

The June 1 cuts will tell a truer tale as far as teams who haven't done much thus far.

Had to work last year during day 1 of the draft, not this year.

We did a pick by pick analysis last year didn't we? :D

POJO_Risin
04-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah...lmfao...I was on for the whole first two rounds...I see it happening again this year...

ALinChainz
04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Me too ... but from my house with a mini-fridge right next to me ...

My brother and I going to try and go with the Joey and Chandler plan ... see how long we can go without having to get up from the TV.

Of course it will never fly, but a man can dream.

POJO_Risin
04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
lmfao...I'd try that...but with the fucking kids and my wife working...not going to happen...

sooner or later...those little bastards have to eat...lmfao...

ALinChainz
04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
lol ... no doubt about it ...

Draft getting better to watch all the time with how the later round picks end up being stars just as easy as the first day picks.

Hell used to watch the first couple rounds and give up on it. Only could take so much Kiper, now I can drown him out like he isn't there.

POJO_Risin
04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Well...fuck...this year...the top 10 could all be the #1 pick...and you know at least 2 of those guys are going to slide...I think someone...a couple of years from now...is going to get someone in this draft in the teens or 20's that's going to turn out to be the franchise guy...or closest thing to it in this draft...

ALinChainz
04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Everyone of the top 4 teams would like to trade down, Miami especially.

Interesting that the top 3 picks are by temas with new head coaches.

POJO_Risin
04-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Makes sense though when you think about it...

It should be an interesting couple of days though...I'd be surprised if any of them can trade down...

I'd be looking to move up to 7-10...

ALinChainz
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Steelers' Hope agrees to one-year contract

April 15, 2005
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Free safety Chris Hope agreed to a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Friday.

The Steelers had the right to match any offer to Hope, and team signing him would have been required to give the Steelers a third-round draft pick. He signed a $656,000 deal.

Hope became a starter last season after two seasons as a backup, finishing second on the team with 97 tackles. He also made his first career interception.

POJO_Risin
04-15-2005, 06:31 PM
another ho-hum deal...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Isn't Palooka State located in Happy Valley?

No, it's located in Edinboro.... ;)

POJO_Risin
04-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Nope...I'm pretty sure it's happy valley...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Or was that Slippery Rock....

POJO_Risin
04-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Nope...Happy Valley...

POJO_Risin
04-17-2005, 03:17 PM
The Steelers looking at another Sleeper for the later rounds...or potentially as a free agent pick up...

West Virginia wrestler Greg Jones will be working out for Steelers scouts next week in Morgantown, W. Va. Jones, a three-time NCAA champion was an all-conference defensive back and receiver in high school, but he hasn't played football since his senior season. "It's a great opportunity," Jones said. "I've always liked football. It was something I was always interested in.

About 12-13 years ago...Pittsburgh drafted Carlton Haselrig, the 2 or 3 time defending national champion heavyweight wrestler...and he was successful for several years until he went crazy...

I like these picks that the Steelers look at...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about their #30 pick....

IMO, they REALLY need to go WR...

And when (not if, IMO) they don't go WR in round 1, teams will quickly find out that you throw 8 in the box to stop the run against the Burress-less Steelers, you've got a helluva chance to win...

Just remember how they struggled when Plax was hurt last year... Yeah, they won those games, but they were far from clicking...

POJO_Risin
04-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I actually agree with you on this...I would actually love to see them trade up and get in the top 10 of this one...even the top five...they don't have the ammo to do it...but it would be great if they could get one of the top two guys...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't think they need to move up that far....

I think they could get in the top 15 and grab Mark Clayton from OU...

He's gonna be a stud as well....

POJO_Risin
04-20-2005, 08:31 PM
They are saying Clayton should be around in the mid-20's...maybe they'll be able to play it safe...and deal say their first and a fifth to move up four or five slots...it would be a typical Steeler move...than maybe deal their 2nd or 3rd round for some late round picks...

I like Clayton...but isn't he small?

Va Beach VH Fan
04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, around 5'11".....

Still wanna see them grab Jones, if they stay at #30....

POJO_Risin
04-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Look...I want a good receiver...don't get me wrong...but I'd like to see them get a taller receiver...of course...tall receivers with skill are slim...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Lot of talk about going DE now....

Who the fuck knows.... :D

POJO_Risin
04-22-2005, 12:54 AM
I heard a lot of talk about Offensive Line as well...which would follow a normal pattern I suppose.

There is a huge article in SI about Jones by the way...which doesn't bode well for him sliding in the 2nd...don't think Pittsburgh is going to take him in 1...and no way he's there in second...

One GM says that a ballsy team would use him as their #2 quarterback...and have a complete package for him as an HBack and receiver...

sounds like a Cowher move to be honest...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-22-2005, 08:13 PM
The only other position that I wouldn't have a problem with them going in round 1 is DE....

They've needed to get a DE in that 3-4 that can really apply pressure...

Aaron Smith should have made the Pro Bowl last year....

So if they get a good bookend DE for when Kimo starts to slow down (or is released ??), he'd be ready to assume the position...

But having said that, they need that burner at WR to spread the defense, and open up the running game....

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 10:19 AM
At this point...I don't give a shit...what they need to do is get a good player...You've sold me on Matt Jones...but SI did an even better job...

4.37 40...

Not a good passer..."not good enough for the NFL...but has the ability to get the ball where it needs to go..."

Gil Brandt, "I've been preparing drafts since the late '50's, and there hasn't been a player this big this fast..."

Only 7 were timed below 4.40 of the 130 at the combine....

"I think he'll be another TO..." says Chris Palmer

"I think he'd be an incredible safety..." says Mike Martz...

"He's a Slash guy, a qb/receiver like Kordell Stewart was," says John Fox..."If someone had big brass ones, they'd suit him up as the second quarterback, give him his own package as a receiver and make him a core special teams player. Let's say you used him as the personal protector on the punt team, the up man. The defense would have no idea how to defend him. I think he'd make so many plays, but not as a single position."

"I thought at the Senior Bowl he looked like an H-Back, or maybe a red-zone wide receiver because of his height," says Charley Casserly

"I could see him as a situational running back, a quarterback and a receiver," says Steelers Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. "With Matt, you'll only be limited by how creative you can be."

Jacksonville worked him out as a punt returner.

Cincinnati and Detroit tried him out at Tight End.

Philadelphia watched him work as a QB, TE, slot receiver and split wide.

He ran for 10 yards or more 88 time...

Okay...after reading this article...I wouldn't mind him...I'll bet you anything...he goes before Pittsburgh's pick....Maybe Atlanta at 27?

Va Beach VH Fan
04-23-2005, 10:47 AM
"I could see him as a situational running back, a quarterback and a receiver," says Steelers Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. "With Matt, you'll only be limited by how creative you can be."

Could be...

But today's papers are all talking about Heath Miller again...

But MAYBE they're talking up Miller to throw a smoke screen to really focus on Jones...

Like I said again, WHO THE FUCK KNOWS.... :D

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Well...and filling Oliver Ross' position seems to be taking center stage...

I'm hearing Khalif Barnes may still be there...if he's gone...Marcus Johnson...

I have heard chatter that Pittsburgh may be trying to trade up in the second round...but might not have the ammo to do it...

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Fucking Philly has a boner for this guy...they are trying to deal up with Jacksonville to get this pick...

and Pittsburgh would be stuck with fucking Miller...and his fucking Sports Hernia...

fuck Miller...a wasted pick...

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 11:03 AM
and I'm seeing a lot of Marcus Johnson talk as well...

POJO_Risin
04-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Some predictions on how the Steelers will use their first-round pick today:

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: Heath Miller, TE Virginia

Peter King, Sports Illustrated: Marcus Johnson, T, Mississippi

ESPN.com: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated: Marcus Johnson, T, Mississippi

Sporting News: Elton Brown, G, Virginia

USA Today: Marcus Johnson, T, Mississippi

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated: Khalif Barnes, T, Washington

NFL.com: Matt Jones, WR-TE, Arkansas

NFL Draftscout.com: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia

Vic Carucci, NFL.com: Matt Jones, WR-TE, Arkansas

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan

Great Blue-North Draft Report: Jammal Brown, T, Oklahoma

Draftboardinsider.com: Matt Jones, WR-TE, Arkansas

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Here's what they said about Miller...on foxsports...

CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: This is great value at the 30th spot, considering he was the best tight end in the draft. He had his best games against Florida State and the U. of Miami, which means he can compete and run against the very best and quickest secondary players. Had the sports hernia surgery after his college season and hasn't been able to run or workout prior to the draft. Howie Long says Miller is a quality kid, a steal for the Steelers.
DELUCIA'S SCOUTING TAKE: This is a tremendous value pick for the Steelers. Without the sports hernia, Miller would have been a top 10-15 pick and should be one of the top impact players to come out of this draft. Miller is a natural athlete with good size and movement skills to create big matchup problems in the passing game. Miller will make a similar impact like Todd Heap has in Baltimore. Ken Whisenhunt loves to use multiple TE sets in his offense and now has a dangerous option to build around. How Jets' GM Terry Bradway turns down the opportunity to draft Miller and trade for Doug Jolley is questionable. The Jets' ineptitude is the Steelers' treasure here.

Hmmmm....

Va Beach VH Fan
04-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Not a bad pick in Round 2 (although I wouldn't have gone CB), Bryant McFadden out of Free Shoes Univ....

But the round 3 pick has a lot of Steeler fans scratching their heads, Trai Essex, OG from Northwestern....

You read the writeup below, but then you read Russ Grimm's comments, where he basically says it's bullshit....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/essex_trai

Need to know stuff below.....

Negatives: Needs to show better dedication to nutrition and conditioning … Came into the program as a tight end, but basically ate himself out of that position … Struggles to maintain position when weighing more that 315, as he lacks stamina late in games … Is a smart, yet lazy athlete with a soft upper body and fleshy midsection … Struggles with class work, mostly due to lack of effort … Will not do the little extras in the weight room or practices to improve … Lacks total effort and will disappear for stretches during the game … Lacks awareness on the field and when he is late off the snap, defenders can quickly knock him off the ball … Stands too erect and with a narrow base to get proper anchor … Simply lacks concentration and even though he knows his assignments, he will blow a few because of his laziness … Has a marginal burst off the snap and you really have to wonder if he is serious about football … Lacks the leg drive needed to clear lanes for the ground game … Will grab and maul, but is not the type to knock defenders off their feet … While he shows good arm extension, they collapse on impact too often, causing him to get pushed back into the quarterback … Lacks pop and explosion with his hands.

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Who knows what they see in him...

I like the corner that they got in 2...seems to be a larger corner...we'll see if he has the speed to play the position...a lot of people were talking about him as a safety...which they don't need...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Pittsburgh gets a great pick IMO in the fourth round in Fred Gibson...a big receiver...who has had injury issues...but not his senior year...after having a fantastic freshman year...

and was one of the Georgia players that sold their SEC championship rings...

but...they come from Pittsburgh's minor league system of Georgia...where the got Haynes and of course...Hines (who was in a similar situation when drafted)....

Here is some shit about Gibson...

OVERVIEW
Gibson has been a steady performer for the Bulldogs, teaming with fellow receiver Reggie Brown and quarterback David Greene to stake Georgia to a 42-10 record from 2001-04 (sixth best in the country), three straight seasons of 10 or more wins, three straight bowl victories, and three consecutive national top six finishes. The talented athlete also played for Georgia's basketball team as a freshman.

Fred was thrust into action as a true freshman at Georgia. He started three games in 2001, ranking second on the team with 33 catches for 772 yards (23.4 average) and six touchdowns, setting a school season-record by producing five 100-yard receiving games. He also handled the bulk of kickoff return chores, gaining 375 yards on 14 attempts (26.8 average). He started eight games at flanker in 2002, coming up with 43 receptions for 758 yards (17.6 average) and four scores. Gibson also tallied 460 yards on 19 kickoff returns (24.2 average) and a touchdown. His 91-yard score was the longest kickoff return by a Bulldog since Lindsay Scott ran one back 99 yards vs. Louisiana State in 1978.

Hamstring and knee problems, along with off-field issues in 2003 would see Gibson's production suffer. He was one of nine students declared ineligible over the summer by the NCAA for selling their 2002 Southeastern Conference championship rings. NCAA regulations do not prohibit student-athletes from selling rings as long as they receive no more than fair-market value. The university worked to recover the rings and the players were required to make restitution for the money they received from the sale of their rings.

Gibson also missed the Louisiana State game with a pulled right hamstring and the Vanderbilt and Alabama-Birmingham contests with a bone bruise on his left knee. He finished the 2003 campaign with 36 catches for 553 yards (15.4 average) and three scores. Gibson came back in 2004 determined to upgrade his performance. He received first-team All-Southeastern Conference honors from the league's coaches, as he hauled in a career-high 49 passes for 801 yards (16.3 average) and seven touchdowns as a senior.

Gibson closed out his Georgia career with 34 starting assignments in 45 games. He made 161 catches for 2,884 yards (17.9 average) and 20 touchdowns. He joined Reggie Brown (2,008, 2001-04), Lindsay Scott (2,098, 1978-81), Brice Hunter (2,373, 1992-95) and Terrence Edwards (3,093, 1999-2002) as the only players in school history to gain over 2,000 yards receiving in a career. His 161 catches are topped only by Hunter (182) and Edwards (204) on the school's all-time record list.

Gibson also gained 866 yards on 35 kickoff returns (24.7 average), including a touchdown and carried the ball five times for 32 yards (6.4 average). His 35 returns rank sixth on the school's career-record list while his 866 yards rank fourth. Only Andre Hastings (1,096, 1990-92), Lindsay Scott (1152, 1978-81) and Gene Washington (1,637, 1973-76) gained more yards on kickoff returns in Georgia annals.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has long arms and legs with adequate muscle definition … While his weight room figures are only adequate, he does a decent job of using strength and quickness to defeat the jam … Shows the ability to stick his cuts and work back for the ball … Has very good body control and tracking ability, showing no problems catching the pigskin over his shoulder … Has some short area quickness to make the initial defender miss … Long strider with good quickness off the line of scrimmage, where he can gain and defeat a defensive back's cushion … Better on linear routes, where he can execute his speed cuts to separate and adjust to get into position down field … Has the leaping ability to get to the ball at its high point … Shows the natural hands to extend and pluck the ball away from the body's frame … Displays enough speed to take the shallow crossing route and go the distance.

Negatives: Has had a series of minor injuries that lead to questions about durability … His frame is built more like a sprinter's than a football player … Shows marginal academic intelligence and may struggle in a complicated system … His frame looks too lean to stand tall against press coverage at the next level … Needs to run crisper routes, as he does not always work back for the ball and will run his cuts on long patterns … Lacks courage and size to combat for the ball in traffic … Hears "footsteps" and will lose concentration, resulting in quite a few dropped passes … He is too conscious of the oncoming defender and this affects his play when working in tight quarters … Has elusive running skills, but is not considered a speedy runner, as he gathers to accelerate after the catch … Will not get much yardage after securing the ball, unless he has a free lane in front of him … He is such a marginal blocker that he has been benched in the past due to this issue.

INJURY REPORT
2002: Sat out the Florida and Kentucky games after fracturing his left thumb vs. Vanderbilt (10/19) … Underwent surgery to repair the finger after the season.

2003: Sat out the Louisiana State game (9/20) with a right hamstring pull … Missed the Vanderbilt and Alabama-Birmingham games after he suffered a bone bruise in his left knee.

2004: Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder in April, but is not taking any medication.

AGILITY
:

From Combine: 4.55 in 40-yard dash. … 38 1/2 vertical leap. … 10'6" broad jump. … 4.14 shuttle. … 7.03 cone. … 19 Wonderlic.

He sounds an awful lot like Plaxico..."hears footsteps," "drops balls because of it," "outjumps corners..."

Maybe we lose nothing this year...with the addition of 2 threats...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Pittsburgh went Linebacker in the fifth...and may have a find...went with a motor kind of kid...will need some work though...but we'll see him in special teams...and find out a year or 2 from now...if he's still on the team...if he's more than Jerry Olsavsky...

Here's his deal...

He redshirted in 2001 at Temple after suffering a knee injury in practice prior to the Pennsylvania Big 33 high school all-star game. In 2002, Rian led Big East freshmen with an average of 6.3 tackles per game, starting the final seven contests at weak-side linebacker to make 76 hits (51 solos) with a sack, 6.5 stops for losses, an interception and a forced fumble.

Wallace again lined up at weak-side linebacker and became the first Owl since Lance Johnstone (1991) to earn All-Big East Conference honors in his sophomore year. He totaled a career-high 148 tackles (sixth-best season total in school history), with 97 solos, a 9-yard sack, two fumble recoveries and 19.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. 2004 was a down year for Rian, but he still earned All-Big East honors. In ten games on the weak-side, he posted 101 tackles (44 solos) with 5.5 stops for losses, an interception and two fumble recoveries. However, his final year was marred by a midseason fight with a teammate in practice that forced the coaching staff to suspend him for the Pittsburgh contest.

Wallace started 29 of 34 games he played in with the Owls. The cousin of former Temple linebacker/safety Chonn Lacy, Rian collected 325 tackles (192 solos) with two sacks for minus-11 yards, 31.5 stops for losses of 83 yards and five quarterback pressures. He also recovered five fumbles, caused two others, intercepted two passes and had nine pass deflections.

ANALYSIS
Rian is a big, physical tackler with a relentless motor. He has the frame to carry additional bulk and is at the ideal position for his power, speed and hitting ability -- weak-side linebacker -- where he can roam the field and attack from a variety of angles. He shows good balance and lower leg strength to hold ground firmly at the point of attack. He is an aggressive tackler who delivers punishing hits on plays in front of him.

Wallace is a good knee bender with the body control and instincts to make plays around the trash. He can take on blockers with force and works well sideline to sideline. When he stays low in his pads and generates a good hand punch, he can clog the rush lanes, sift through bodies and give chase in the backfield. He has the ability to clear his feet and string the plays out wide.

He gets to the ball quickly when he has to deal with the tight end or lead blocker. But, when he gets high in his stance at the X's, he seems to short-arm and not use his hands effectively, resulting in Rian struggling to disengage. He compensates for a lack of good timed speed by taking proper angles to the ball and is best when allowed to pursue the plays from the backside rather than plug the inside gaps.

Wallace does not move easily through his pass drops and seems to lose sight of the ball in flight, especially when working in man coverage. He is best when making plays in pursuit. He is physical on contact and uses his arm swipes effectively to get through blocks and zero in on the ball. His marginal lateral agility is due to stiff hips, as he needs to gather himself before redirecting and accelerating to the ball.

His adequate body control and ball awareness skills make it a bit risky to use him in nickel and dime packages. He does not get good depth in his pass drops and is prone to reacting wrong on fakes and play action. Wallace displays a choppy backpedal and struggles through transition. He does not show suddenness when having to change direction and works better with plays in front of him, as he does not have the recovery speed to trail the pass play.

In 2003, he showed the ability to combat offensive linemen and squeeze the pocket, resulting in 19.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. However, in 2004 he was more of a trailer type that spent more time in sideline pursuit rather than attacking from the edge, reducing those stops for losses to 5.5. He relies a lot on club and rip moves to gain line penetration, but has trouble redirecting when his initial move fails.

If he can generate the blitzing ability he showed in 2003, he will be a nice early second day draft find. His strength may be better suited for the strong-side outside linebacker position, but his problems escaping blocks in the open field could be hidden at an inside slot in a 3-4 defense. This is a year where there is no standout choice at inside linebacker, so it would not be surprising to see him be taken earlier than his grade indicates.

INJURY REPORT
2001: Sat out the season after suffering a knee injury practicing for the Pennsylvania "Big 33" high school all-star game during the summer prior to fall drills.

2004: Left the Connecticut game (10/23) midway through the fourth quarter with an ankle sprain.

AGILITY
4.72 in the 40-yard dash … 380-pound bench press … 525-pound squat … 320-pound power clean … 32-inch vertical jump … 32 5/8-inch arm length … 9 7/8-inch hands.

SRK
04-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Fred Gibson press conference transcript
Sunday, April 24, 2005

The following is a transcript of Fred Gibson's press conference with the Pittsburgh news media today:

Q: A lot of the draft previews had you going in maybe the late first round or early second round. Are you a little disappointed that you didn't go until the 4th round?

GIBSON: Things didn't go like I wanted them to go. But like my grandma always says, 'Things happen for a reason.' Right now, I'm just happy and honored that Pittsburgh put me in a great situation. Hines Ward went to Georgia and I've got a whole lot of more Georgia players up there also. I'm happy. I just can't wait to get to Pittsburgh and play football."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Do you see yourself as possibly replacing Plaxico Burress?

GIBSON: I thought -- the whole time I had a feeling that Pittsburgh -- before the draft even happened, I had a feeling. I was like, 'I think Pittsburgh might pick me.' It happened. I didn't know where it was going to happen. But, you know what? I'm a happy man right now. I'm eager and I'm ready to play football in Pittsburgh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Was there any kind of competition between you and Reggie [Brown, drafted with pick #35 by Philadelphia] to see who was going to go first [in the draft]?

GIBSON: No, not really. Reggie wanted the best thing for him. I wanted the best thing [for me]. We wanted the best thing for each of us. Reggie went a little earlier, and I went second. It really does not matter. We are always going to be a family. We played together, and we're close friends. Like I said, things happen for a reason. I'm glad I went to Pittsburgh right now and Reggie went to Philadelphia. We're still going to be friends, no matter what.

Q: Who were some of the corners you played against where you thought you really distinguished yourself?

GIBSON: Playing in the SEC, I played against a whole lot of good corners. Corey Webster, Carlos Rogers, Justin Miller, Lito Sheppard, [who] plays for the Eagles, my freshman year. Dunta Robinson, who plays for Houston right now. I've played against a whole lot of quality guys that went in the first round. And I think I held up well against them. Like I said, I'm just happy. Right now, I can't even really speak. I'm just so happy that I got a chance to play somewhere and play football and do something that I really love. I just can't wait to get to Pittsburgh.

Q: Was this the wrong year to come out as a receiver because there are so many of you guys?

GIBSON: Not really. I did my four years at Georgia and it was time for me to go. Things happen.

Q: Will it bother you if people start comparing you to Plaxico?

GIBSON: Well, I dealt with stuff like that at Georgia. People are going to criticize you no matter what. As long as you know what you can do and what you can achieve, don't let people get to you. Fans are always going to have their -- that's why they are fans, they're always going to say what they want to say. And you can't control that.

Q: What about the comparisons to Plaxico, though?

GIBSON: Well, Plaxico is a tall receiver. I'm a tall receiver. It's really not. I don't see it. Like I said, I can't wait until I get to Pittsburgh. I'm going to play football. It's not about what Plaxico did at Pittsburgh. It's about Fred Gibson. It's not about Plaxico right now. Like I said, I'm going to play pretty well.

Q: When you were talking about getting criticized, what were people criticizing you about at Georgia?

GIBSON: I probably had a bad game or something. And, of course, people at Georgia, it's big-time football. Everybody wants to win every game. And I know if you lose one game at Georgia, everybody goes crazy. We lose one or two games, and for those one or two games, people get mad. They just criticize no matter what. Like I said, I never let things like that get to me. I'm a talented football player and I'm ready.

Q: Who is your agent?

GIBSON: Doug Hendrickson.

Q: Have you gotten more consistent as you've gotten older, do you think?

GIBSON: I think so. I really didn't play football until my 11th grade year in high school. I got an opportunity to go to college on a football scholarship. That's when football basically started for me.

Q: How much basketball did you play down there? How did that help you?

GIBSON: Basketball [helps] eye coordination, speed, quickness. It all helps, just being an athlete. It carries over to the football field [with] change of direction and getting the ball in the air, just making adjustments.

Q: How well do you know Hines [Ward]?

GIBSON: I know of Hines pretty well. I know I talked to Hines this whole entire process. This whole draft, I asked him and he told me no matter where you get drafted, it's all about what you do when you get there. Hines is a great player. He's one of the best receivers. He also played at Georgia. So I know he's going to look after me no matter what.

Q: He was a mid-round draft choice as well. Does that tell you that you don't have to be a #1 draft pick to have success?

GIBSON: Yeah, that's really true. You never know. It's based on talent (and) all that stuff. I think I played really well at Georgia and I produced at Georgia, had a great career at Georgia. Like he always said, it doesn't matter ho high (in the draft) you go. It's all about what you do when you get there. I'm just eager. I'm happy right now. And, I'm ready to go.

Betty Bush III
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Is this a Patriots friendly chat? The draft can be overrated. If Big Ben becomes more experienced and learns to spread the ball around the field better he'll be a really good QB and the Steelers could win it all. Ben sunk them last year in the playoffs but I still think he's a good player in the making.

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 03:58 PM
It can be a Patriot friendly chat I suppose...

Ben needs another year before the game becomes easy for him...he was struggling the second half of the year...

as far as Gibson's concerned...I saw some mocks with the Steelers taking him in the second round...

maybe even one here in the first round...

I thought he was rated higher than Brown...but who knows...a quality pick in my eyes...

SRK
04-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Steeler`s 6 round pick .....30 204 Pittsburgh Chris Kemoeatu G Utah

Gil Brandt's Analysis
This is one of my top 100 players. He has got tremendous leg and lower-body strength. He's good for a zone-blocking team. I'm shocked that he was taken in the sixth round

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah...I saw that pick...a great pick...maybe better than their 3rd round pick...has size...I think 6'2" and 340...

will be a factor probably next year...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Pittsburgh got a pick from Carolina...still checking out what they gave up to get it...and took a Defensive End from ByU...

Shaun Nua...still looking up some info on him...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 05:10 PM
alright...the info is coming up from the bat phone as we speak...

Christ...ESPN doesn't even have anything on him...

going somewhere else...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
This is all I could find on him...

he's 6'5" and 270...undersized for a DE...but perhaps they are looking to move him into a hybrid role like they did with so many others...

here's what ESPN is saying about him...

Steelers have had their eyes on the native of Pago Pago, American Samoa for quite some time.

Not much...but they traded up to get him...so maybe there's something there...

SRK
04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
They had an extra pick in the 7th round from a trade from last year...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Aaaah, the football powerhouse at Pago Pago.... ;)

POJO_Risin
04-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Not a great draft...not a bad draft...just gotta hope for the best...

POJO_Risin
04-25-2005, 01:27 AM
From the post-gazette...some interesting notes...they've also talked with Chad Brown...who appears to be going to Denver...but you never know...

Steelers help Roethlisberger by getting pass catchers
Monday, April 25, 2005

The Steelers did not fulfill Ben Roethlisberger's wishes when he asked them to keep receiver Plaxico Burress, but they listened. And in the past two days, they presented gifts to their young quarterback that he may like even more.

They followed up their choice of a big, pass consuming tight end with their first pick Saturday by drafting a tall, fast, athletic wide receiver with their top choice yesterday.

Big Ben got Big Money (tight end Heath Miller's nickname) Saturday and yesterday he got a big wide receiver when the Steelers drafted 6-foot-4 Fred Gibson of Georgia in the fourth round.

Gibson played split end at Georgia, where he was overshadowed by flanker Reggie Brown, Philadelphia's second-round draft pick. But Gibson has the potential to grow into something special, particularly if he can gain strength and add weight to a slight 202-pound frame.

"This guy has a big upside," said Bruce Arians, who coaches the Steelers' receivers. "He has height, jumping ability and the speed to go along."

Gibson played basketball at Georgia as a freshman before he concentrated on football. The comparisons to Burress, a 6-5 1/2 receiver who signed with the Giants this year as a free agent, come naturally.

"He is a couple inches shorter," Arians said. "Probably a little faster [4.47 in the 40]. He is the same style player at outside receiver. He gives us the height that we lost, hopefully, and makes plays in the red zone with his height and jumping ability."

Counting the two new receivers, the Steelers drafted four of their first six picks on offense, including two linemen they hope can help protect Roethlisberger. Surely Roethlisberger had to like this draft.

"I really don't care," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "The bottom line is, I think we helped our football team."

The Steelers turned to defense with their fifth-round choice, drafting junior Rian Wallace of Temple with the 166th pick. Wallace played inside linebacker for the Owls and was all-Big East in 2004. Some NFL teams project Wallace as an outside linebacker, but the Steelers will try him on the inside.

In the sixth round, the Steelers drafted 6-3 1/2, 344-pound guard Chris Kemoeatu of Utah.

Wallace, Gibson and Kemoeatu each had mild transgressions in college. Wallace was suspended for Temple's game against Pitt last season for scuffling with a teammate in the locker room. Gibson -- along with Brown and other teammates -- allegedly sold his SEC championship ring. The sales embarrassed the university, but the NCAA cleared the players of any wrongdoing.

Kemoeatu was suspended twice in 2003 for kicking opponents, and has a temperament Steelers line coach Russ Grimm termed "aggressive."

"That mean streak I got, I think I've overcome that problem of mine," Kemoeatu said.

The Steelers were involved in an intra-team fight in their locker room in minicamp in 2000 with linebacker Earl Holmes at the center of it. As for selling championship rings, the Steelers would love to give Gibson a second chance at selling one next year. And Hall of Famer Joe Greene did more than kick a few opponents in his day, even punching one in the stomach in a playoff game in 1977.

Kemoeatu is Tongan; the Steelers' first pick in the seventh round, defensive end Shaun Nua of BYU, is Samoan through Pago Pago. They banged against each other when Utah played BYU.

"He is a dirty player, I'll say that, but not when I went against him," Nua said with a chuckle. "But he is a tough guy, though, I'll tell you that. That was a good pick, too. You came to the right place, man."

The Steelers drafted running back Noah Herron of Northwestern, a 5-11, 224-pounder, with their final choice. Herron was all-Big Ten last season after rushing for 1,381 yards, 14 touchdowns and a 5.0 average per carry. He also caught 36 passes last season. The Steelers want to see if he can play halfback and fullback.

Some analysts thought Gibson might go in the second round, and the Steelers had a second-round grade on him. They've had success with receivers drafted after the first round through the years. Their best of all came when they drafted John Stallworth in the fourth round in 1974. More recently they drafted Antwaan Randle El in the second round in 2003 and Hines Ward in the third round in 1998 from Georgia.

"He also played at Georgia, so I know he's going to look after me no matter what," Gibson said.

Gibson will get a shot as a rookie, but he'll have to go through Randle El and Cedrick Wilson, the team's only outside signing in free agency, at split end. Randle El and Wilson also will compete for the position in the slot.

"If they are going to double-team Hines or Antwaan, you have to have some kind of mismatch outside," Arians said. "I think he will give us that."

Said Cowher, "He's a tall guy who can run fast, a very good route runner."

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said it was one of the team's best drafts in terms of targeting players they wanted in certain areas of the draft and getting those players.

"Things really broke very well for us. All the players we wanted really fell into place ... we didn't reach," he said.

NOTES -- The Steelers began signing undrafted rookies after the draft and hoped to land 11 or 12, with a higher concentration at linebacker than other positions. They also may sign a rookie quarterback. Veteran QB Charlie Batch, who has been with them three years, is a free agent Colbert says is "an option." ... Colbert also said "there's been communication" with former Steelers LB Chad Brown, released by Seattle the past week. However, Brown turned down a $1 million annual offer to remain with the Seahawks and appears headed to Denver.

POJO_Risin
04-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Sportsline's Steeler draft rankings...

Pittsburgh Steelers
Best pick: Second-round pick Bryant McFadden will be a starter at some point this year. He is a talented cover player who will be perfect for the Steelers defense.

Questionable move: Once again, it's tough to find a questionable move by a good-drafting team. Some may think taking Heath Miller in the first is risky with him coming off a hernia injury, but he's a player.

Steal: Fred Gibson was considered a potential first-round pick a couple of years ago. Getting him in the fourth round is a nice move for the Steelers.

Overall grade: B. They had a solid, uneventful draft. That's what the Steelers do. They know how to find players.

SRK
04-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree with your grade....I think Chris Kemoeatu could be a steal in the 6th round.... Time will tell with these draft picks you never know.

ALinChainz
04-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Steelers | Batch an Option - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:14:20 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers say free agent QB Charlie Batch is a potential option to re-sign.

Steelers | Contact C. Brown - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:13:46 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have been in communication with free agent LB Chad Brown (Seahawks).

Steelers | Gibson to Compete at Split End - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:13:17 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will have 2005 fourth-round draft choice WR Fred Gibson compete at the split end receiver position this year.

Steelers | To Try Herron as RB, FB - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:12:50 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers want to see if 2005 seventh-round draft choice RB Noah Herron can serve as a halfback and a fullback.

Steelers | Wallace to Compete at Inside LB - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:01:11 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers will try 2005 fifth-round draft choice LB Rian Wallace at inside linebacker.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
The WR group should have an interesting offseason...

Is this the year that Lee Mays gets the heave ho ??

With Hines, El, Wilson, Gibson, and don't forget Zamir Cobb, who was going to make the team last year before he got hurt, that could be a pretty solid group....

ALinChainz
04-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Chad Brown: Visits With Steelers

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Update: Brown visited with the Steelers on Wednesday, and said he would like to play for them again, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Recommendation: "The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome." He turned down Seattle's offer of $1 million per year, but might consider a similar offer with the Steelers. Brown was drafted by Pittsburgh back in 1993 and starred there through the 1996 season, when he left for bigger bucks with the Seahawks. Brown has stated he would accept a back-up role on a contending team.

ALinChainz
04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
The WR group should have an interesting offseason...

Is this the year that Lee Mays gets the heave ho ??

With Hines, El, Wilson, Gibson, and don't forget Zamir Cobb, who was going to make the team last year before he got hurt, that could be a pretty solid group....

They re-signed Mays.

THUNDER, LP
04-28-2005, 06:02 PM
It is incredibly gay to be posting about NFL in the spring. I will post my selections beginning in Sept. That is the only NFL that needs to be posted on my site. Thanks anyway.

ALinChainz
04-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by THUNDER, LP
It is incredibly gay to be posting about NFL in the spring. I will post my selections beginning in Sept. That is the only NFL that needs to be posted on my site. Thanks anyway.

The draft just happened this weekend you fucking fag.

You don't shit about it anyway.

Your site? You've been banned how many times?

How about starting up a couple coke threads in main huh queer boy.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Chad Brown: Visits With Steelers

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Update: Brown visited with the Steelers on Wednesday, and said he would like to play for them again, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Recommendation: "The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome." He turned down Seattle's offer of $1 million per year, but might consider a similar offer with the Steelers. Brown was drafted by Pittsburgh back in 1993 and starred there through the 1996 season, when he left for bigger bucks with the Seahawks. Brown has stated he would accept a back-up role on a contending team.

I gotta feeling he's gonna sign with the 'Burgh....

Although I'd think that the Pats would be more desparate for a LB, they may overpay for him....

POJO_Risin
04-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah...he's gonna sign with Pittsburgh...but the question is...

Does anyone really care?

ALinChainz
04-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Not a bad pick up ... at the right price ... an easy fit, if he can stay healthy.

POJO_Risin
04-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Well...the only thing I really like about it is that Pittsburgh would be signing a guy as insurance and for depth...

they usually aren't in that position...

POJO_Risin
04-30-2005, 12:12 AM
The Steelers sign Batch...who wants to compete for the 2 job...who cares...both Maddox and Batch suck ass...

here's a little more about Brown...nothing substantial...but from the Post Gazette...

Brown says he wants to return
Agent expects contract talks soon
Thursday, April 28, 2005

The Steelers want to sign veteran linebacker Chad Brown, and he said he wants to come here in the worst way, but there remains one small matter standing between them: A contract.

Yet Brown sounded as if he would take less money to rejoin the Steelers than he might elsewhere.

"The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team yesterday. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome."

Brown met with the coaches, and the Steelers' medical staff evaluated him. A three-time Pro Bowler, he battled several injuries the past three seasons, including a broken fibula and a knee injury that limited him to seven games last season with Seattle, but he finished the year healthy.

Brown, who turns 35 in July, was released by Seattle last week after he declined to take a salary cut from $4.2 million to $1 million. He visited the New England Patriots Monday and Tuesday. The Steelers drafted him in the second round in 1993, and he became a starter at inside linebacker and outside, where he had 13 sacks in 1996 before signing with Seattle as a free agent.

The Steelers start Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter and Clark Haggans on the outside, but Brown said he'd be willing to play any role for them.

"I don't want to end my career at a place that's rebuilding for the future," Brown said. "I want to end my career at a place that has an opportunity to really win some games and make some noise in the playoffs.

"I was in Seattle for eight years and have three playoff losses to show for it. I need some playoff victories and, hopefully, a Super Bowl victory to round out this game that has given me so much."

Seattle wants to re-sign him. Brown will visit New Orleans next, and Denver also has an interest. Pete Schaffer, Brown's agent, said no substantial talks with the Steelers have taken place but should soon.

Charlie Batch, who signed a one-year contract Tuesday to remain with the Steelers, said he'd like to compete for the No. 2 quarterback job behind Ben Roethlisberger. "Right now, the only job guaranteed is the No. 1 spot, and that's Ben's spot. ... I can't sit back and say that I'm content at three and just happy to be here. That's not the case."

My guess here...is that Brown is using the Steelers to get the Pats more interested...just a guess...

signing him would be a coup, as it would keep him from going to a bunch of contenders...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Didn't sound that way, when he talked to the press that day....

Sounded sincere, to me anyway....

The thing about LB is that beyond the starters, they have NO decent backups....

Kriewalt is basically a special teams guru... Alonzo Jackson, aka The 2nd Round Bust, is gonna get cut this camp, especially if they sign Brown...

I think Brown is still a pretty effective backer, not a starter mind you, but in 3rd down situations....

POJO_Risin
04-30-2005, 04:12 PM
So Va...in ALL your years of watching the Steelers...you haven't ever heard someone sound sincere about wanting to play for the Steelers...knowing that they would never get the deal they want...and end up signing somewhere else for more money?

I agree about the linebackers...and this signing would be a sign of depth...not great depth...but depth...which they generally never have...with the exception to last year...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Well, I see your point, but I guess you'd have to watch his press conference to see what I meant....

There's also the feeling that Joey Porter hasn't been, well, Joey Porter since about 2001....

POJO_Risin
05-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I can agree with the Porter comment...but I don't know since 2001...

but Porter is better than Brown...and is the leader of the D...

it would certainly be a mistake if they were signing Brown to take over for him...

but like I said...it would be awesome to have a player of his calibre playing 50-75% of the downs...

ALinChainz
05-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Uneasy rider: Roethlisberger not getting off motorcycle

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
May 6, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Despite Kellen Winslow Jr.'s accident and his own coach's admonition, Big Ben isn't hopping off his big bike just yet.

Ben Roethlisberger was lectured Friday by Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the dangers of riding a motorcycle without a helmet -- as Roethlisberger has been spotted doing recently -- but the quarterback isn't ready to get off his $20,000 cycle.

``He talked about being a risk taker and I'm not really a risk taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful,'' Roethlisberger said as the Steelers opened their minicamp. ``I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe.''

Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet -- something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field -- Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

``Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet),'' he said. ``There's a law you've got to wear it in football.''

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was surprised to hear the NFL offensive rookie of the year is taking such risks so soon after Winslow's accident. The Browns tight end, drafted five spots ahead of Roethlisberger last year, was injured Sunday when he flew off a newly purchased motorcycle after running into a parking lot curb.

``Some guys are real good on motorcycles and know what they're doing, but accidents happen,'' Porter said. ``I can't knock the guy for doing it, but it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't own a bike because I don't trust them.''

Porter occasionally gets on a Jet Ski, but he said that's different from steering a motorcycle through heavy traffic. Roethlisberger acknowledged many drivers become distracted when they see him riding, shouting or waving at him.

``If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds,'' Porter said. ``I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated.''

Of course, Roethlisberger was, too, as a rookie, going 13-0 during the Steelers' team-record 15-1 regular season before losing to New England in the AFC championship game.

The Steelers are understandably cautious about combining a first-round draft choice and a high-speed vehicle. Gabe Rivera, the defensive lineman they chose instead of quarterback Dan Marino in the 1983 draft, was paralyzed after wrecking his sports car midway through his rookie season and hasn't walked since.

Many NFL contracts prohibit engaging in dangerous activities, but Roethlisberger's deal apparently doesn't specifically ban motorcycle riding.

Cowher didn't criticize Roethlisberger's riding, but is visibly uneasy with it.

``I certainly don't condone that,'' Cowher said. ``It (playing pro football) is a very small time in your life and you've got to be very careful -- you can see it documented with Kellen Winslow in Cleveland. There are choices and consequences ... not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with. You have control over them but once you make your decision, they control you.''

Meanwhile, all players reported to the minicamp, the formal start to the final month of the Steelers' offseason workouts. Most players will remain in town through mid-June for ``coaching sessions,'' daily workouts that technically are voluntary but usually are fully attended.

POJO_Risin
05-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Fear the cycle...

Winslow is a dipshit...rider's permit...hits a fucking curb going 35...in one of his first rides...

coming off a major injury the first year of his contract...

and with a strict no motorcycle clause...

fuck Kellen...

ride away Ben...

ALinChainz
05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I read where a cop had seen him earlier. He was popping wheelies on it. Said he seemed unsure then.

Ben is obviously experienced, thought I wouldn't be against the helmet. It's the law here in Michigan and would seem to be safer than riding without one.

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 02:52 AM
I've never really understood people not wearing the helmet...seems imbecilic to me...

when I was just out of college...I bought my cousin's Ninja so he could have moving money down to Florida...

I was living in PA at the time...and I have to tell you...there isn't a fucking chance in hell I was riding that fucking think without a fucking helmet...I had it for a summer...and sold it to help with the downpayment on my new house...

but damn...you get that fucking think on the highway at night...and you couldn't help but open it up...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Concur 100% Poj...

I just don't get the people who don't want to protect your head...

All I had to see what my cousin in a closed casket in a Erie funeral home when I was a kid after a motorcycle accident...

But specifically relating to Ben's riding, it's apples and oranges IMO comparing him to Winslow...

Winslow was riding a Suzuki racing bike, and recklessly I might add, and didn't even have a license...

Ben rides a Harley with a group of people, albeit without a helmet...

Not being a cycle guy at all, but I just think that riding a cruising bike would be relatively safer than riding a racing bike....

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Well...having owned a crotch rocket myself...and having riden a Harley once...

I can say a couple of things...

The Ninja makes you do stupid ass things...like I said...I had the thing bored out a couple of times rollin' down 90 and both times I did it...you really have an instant of thinking...I'm going to fucking die if I hit a pothole...

The Harley wasn't mine...so I was much more careful...but I can tell you this...they are powerful...powerful bikes...

that being said...they aren't really build to act like an asshole...although you could...very easily...

it's safer...if you are using it to cruise...but it is really...really...easy to lose control of a motorcycle under certain circumstances...Harley's are heavy bikes...you get bent the wrong way...and I could see it getting messy...especially without a helmet...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-07-2005, 03:38 PM
My buddy here has a racing Kawasaki, and he regularly has that thing kicking 140....

On top of that, he also goes to these snaking mountain roads, like in Tennesee... Can't remember what the name is....

I constantly tell him the same thing, "just one pothole"....

You probably know that funeral home I'm talking about, I think it's up on the upper East side...

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I probably do...but couldn't fucking name it for you right now if you had a million dollars...

the only one I can think of right now is Bruggers...and I think that was on W38th...

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 03:50 PM
From the AP wire...

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Don't tell Bill Cowher it's only May.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are barely halfway through their offseason, but Cowher is displaying a midseason-like look of determination -- and, yes, that scary-as-ever scowl -- during their three-day minicamp this weekend.

He delivered a start-of-camp talk Friday that was so motivating, wide receiver Cedrick Wilson wished there was a game that day. Cowher also unexpectedly tossed a pack of rookie offensive linemen into a blitz-heavy drill minutes into their first workout, and even admonished quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for recklessly tooling around on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle without a helmet.

If Cowher seems overly impatient for his 14th season as a head coach to arrive, it's probably understandable. Cowher, who turns 48 on Sunday, is the league's most tenured coach with a single team, although his mostly successful stay (a 130-77 regular season record, eight division titles) does not yet include a Super Bowl championship.

He was close again as the Steelers turned a Cowher-worst 6-10 season in 2003 into a franchise-best 15-1 in 2004, and with a rookie quarterback running the show. But a season that was successful beyond all expectations had a familiar ending, with a 41-27 loss to New England in the AFC championship game.

It was the Steelers' fourth loss in five AFC title game appearances under Cowher, all of them on their home field, yet this latest loss appears to be driving Cowher even more than similar defeats after the 1994, 1997 and 2001 seasons.

``We need to take the next step,'' Cowher said. ``What you did last year means nothing.''

No wonder some Steelers rookies already are wondering when they'll see the first public eruption of Mount Cowher.

``As we talked about with the team, there are no guarantees, there are no shortcuts, and it's going to be demanding,'' Cowher said. ``That's how we're going to approach this year.''

It certainly is a different, sterner Cowher, and for a reason.

After the Steelers followed six consecutive playoff seasons by going 22-26 from 1998-2000, Cowher second-guessed his own methods. He wondered if he allowed his veteran players too much leeway in determining their practice schedules and offseason routines, and questioned if they came back hungry enough following previous title-game losses.

Now, Cowher isn't about to let it happen again, not with a mostly veteran team that appears to have several more Super Bowl runs left in them.

``We did a lot of good things last year, but we did not end it the way we needed it to end,'' Cowher said. ``We're starting over and not assuming anything with any player. The guys who had good years last year need to have better years, and some of the guys who did not play up to expectations need to do that.''

That's one reason why, for all of Roethlisberger's successes in winning his first 14 NFL starts, Cowher is focusing more on the quarterback's postseason failings -- the five interceptions thrown and the number of poor decisions made in an overtime win against the Jets and the New England loss.

Cowher's show-me-more attitude helped motivate Roethlisberger to return to Pittsburgh to start his offseason workout program barely a month after that Jan. 23 AFC title game loss.

``We did not play our best game, we did not coach our best game and that's the reality of it,'' Cowher said. ``Around here you've got to have thick skin, and we're going to have high expectations of everybody, myself included. Ben is no exception -- he set a high standard for himself he expects to live up to, and everybody else to live up to.''

Losing to the same team in the AFC championship game twice in four seasons appears to be additional incentive to Cowher. New England is coming off three Super Bowl championships in four years but, privately, the Steelers think the Patriots' coaching staff defections (Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis), health issues (Tedy Bruschi) and personnel losses (Ty Law, Troy Brown) translate into a beatable opponent.

Now, the challenge is for the Steelers to become the team that can beat them.

``I'm just excited about this year, and everyone is,'' Roethlisberger said. ``There's like a buzz going around you feel coming off last year. Coach said it best: If we went 5-11 last year we'd be pretty disappointed. We had a great season, but we're disappointed about the way it ended.''

SOUNDS good...we'll see if it is good...

will miss that homo Lou to beat up on...

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm thinking there was a Bruggers on East and West 38th though...

owned by brothers...

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 04:04 PM
From the Tribune-Review:

Steelers' quest to return to Super Bowl begins with minicamp

Tools Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, May 6, 2005

The Steelers open mini-camp today with the hopes that star linebacker Joey Porter is not facing a serious shoulder injury, that nobody fails to show up and that their rookie class makes a solid impression. Porter was on the South Side yesterday for a magnetic resonance imaging test on the shoulder. The results were not available.

Wide receiver Hines Ward, who is looking for a contract extension as he enters the final season of his current deal, isn't likely to pull a no-show like former teammate Plaxico Burress (who signed with the New York Giants this offseason) did in '04.

In fact, he's approaching the weekend workouts -- five total practices between today and Sunday -- as the first phase in his quest to help the Steelers get back to the Super Bowl after a 10-year hiatus.

"This is the foundation," said Ward, a four-time Pro Bowler who could become the highest-paid player in Steelers history. "This is where it all starts, so I'm looking forward to it and I'm excited about it."

As far as the extension goes, Ward said, "My agents, they're taking care of my contract. I haven't heard anything. I know they're talking, so really, I just gotta do my job and let my agent and the Steelers really worry about my contract."

Last year at mini-camp, coach Bill Cowher set out to re-establish the team's commitment to the running game. The result was a ball-control offense that was second in the league in rushing, which helped the Steelers forge a 15-1 regular-season record.

This year, the goal is to tweak a team that returns pretty much intact, save the free-agent losses of offensive starters Burress, guard Keydrick Vincent and tackle Oliver Ross. Veteran cornerback Willie Williams said the way to overcome the losses -- on and off the field -- is to tackle minicamp as a new beginning.

"The guys still feel down about how last year ended, but we have to pull together," said veteran cornerback Willie Williams, who will be challenged by young corners Ricardo Colclough, Ike Taylor and second-round draft choice Bryant McFadden. "It feels good that we're in the position we're in, though. Now, we get to try to pick up where we left off.

"It's time for us to take the next step. This is how you get there."

All eyes will be on a draft class that features McFadden, wideout Fred Gibson, a fourth-round selection out of Georgia, and offensive lineman Chris Kemoeatu, 6-foot-3, 344 pounds, who was taken in the sixth round out of Utah.

First-round pick Heath Miller, considered the top tight end in college football last season, will be restricted in how he's used as he continues to rehabilitate a sports hernia injury he sustained early last season at the University of Virginia. The Steelers expect him to be fully ready by training camp.

Miller and the rest of the draft class -- eight players in all -- arrived on the South Side yesterday to get acquainted with the facilities and take a battery of tests in preparation for the three-day mini camp.

Third-round pick Trai Essex, an offensive tackle from Northwestern, is counting the seconds.

"This is the team I wanted to come to. It's my dream team," said Essex, who must re-educate himself in blocking for the Steelers' pro-style scheme, as opposed to Northwestern's spread set. "I watched the Steel Curtain as a kid, even though I wasn't born yet, I would watch the highlights," said Essex, a fan of former Steelers players Rod Woodson and Barry Foster, and current Steelers tailback Jerome Bettis.

Some draftniks suggested the Steelers "reached" in drafting Essex in the third round, while others believe it was a solid selection. Essex explained why opinions varied.

"I think some went by my (scouting) combine workouts, which weren't the greatest," he said. "Others saw my film and liked what I could do as a football player."

Essex and the rest of the Steelers players get to show what they can do on the fields on South Side starting at 10:15 a.m. today

His favorite players were Woodson and Foster...holy christ...Essex was a bad pick...lmfao...

Good to see all the guys showing up though...looks like Porter could be out long term...

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Here's an article on Hines WARD...

Negotiations under way for Ward
Thursday, May 05, 2005

One year after Hines Ward first made it an issue, the Steelers and agent Eugene Parker have opened negotiations for a contract extension that could become the most expensive in the team's history.

And, one year later, it's no longer an issue, at least not a public one, for the Steelers' four-time Pro Bowl receiver.

"There's nothing I can do," Ward said yesterday as he and the rest of the Steelers prepare for the start of a mandatory three-day minicamp tomorrow. "They're talking to my agent and stuff like that. It's out of my control. I still have to go out here and perform. I'm busting my tail and worrying about getting better. I'll let my agent and the Steelers talk about my contract."

That's different from the approach Ward took last year, when he fretted over a contract that still had two years to go. Holding out of training camp was an option he considered, although a phone call from coach Bill Cowher on the eve of camp helped persuade him to show up on time.

He said there's no thought of missing anything this season, even if there is no contract. Steelers president Art Rooney reiterated in March a promise he made last year to make Ward's contract extension a priority, and the team is now doing that. Whether they can reach an agreement is another matter because the model for a new contract has to be the one the Indianapolis Colts gave Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison last year.

At age 32, Harrison received a reported seven-year, $67 million extension that included $23 million in guaranteed money the first two years. He earned a $6 million signing bonus last year plus a $7 million roster bonus this past March, which subsequently was turned into a signing bonus for salary cap accounting. In essence, he received a $13 million signing bonus.

At 29, Ward is younger than Harrison and, considering the Steelers throw the ball much less than the Colts, relatively more productive. Before 2002, Yancey Thigpen held the Steelers' record with 85 receptions in 1995. Since then, Ward has topped that three times with 94, 112 and 95. His 80 catches last season were remarkable because the Steelers ran 61 percent of the time, a 20-year NFL high.

Ward is the only Steelers' receiver to make four Pro Bowls and, with 505 career receptions, will soon pass Hall of Famer John Stallworth, who leads them with 537 receptions.

With Plaxico Burress gone, Ward's importance to the team grows.

There's a good reason Ward is not saying much about his contract this year; he doesn't have to. His consistent, high-level performance speaks for itself. Last year was different. Ward, who earned $1.6 million in salary last season, knew Burress was entering the final year of his contract and rightfully worried that the team would not be able to pay big money to both their starting receivers. He was right; they chose not to pay Burress and to concentrate on paying Ward this year.

"It's a business," Ward said. "Last year it was me not understanding the situation. But players come and go, you have to understand that aspect. You can't tell somebody how to run their business."

Ward has been working out with teammates at their UPMC facility since April 11. He has been remarkably resilient over his career despite his style of play that includes a reputation as the toughest blocker among wide receivers in the NFL. He hasn't missed a game since the Steelers drafted him in the third round from Georgia in 1998 -- 118 games, including six in the playoffs. He hasn't missed a start since one in 2000 and only three starts since he took over at flanker in 1999.

Another three more years at this pace and Ward will be sitting on a Hall of Fame resume.

"I want to retire as a Steeler," Ward said. "I couldn't imagine playing for another team. It's just great hearing other guys: 'Oh, man, you're the best, I really respect the way you play the game. That keeps me motivated to go out and work twice as hard.'

"To say I'm going to catch 80 or 90 balls, I don't know how the year's going to work out. The only thing I can control is to work hard and get better and be there and help the young guys out."

NOTES -- The Steelers will have two practices each tomorrow and Saturday and one Sunday morning during their minicamp. ... Every player on the roster, except those in NFL Europe, are expected to attend including four veterans who have been training outside of Pittsburgh: Tommy Maddox, Alan Faneca, Duce Staley and Joey Porter.

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Here's the bust...Kendall Simmons...didn't realize he had diabetes...

It would be a HUGE bonus if he could live up to expectations...

Return rejuvenates Simmons

Steelers guard Kendall Simmons takes part in drills

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 7, 2005

It was only the first practice of minicamp, but Kendall Simmons couldn't have been more appreciative of what took place Friday morning on the South Side.
"I felt like I was a part of something again," Simmons said after reclaiming his position as the starting right guard on the Steelers' offensive line. "You'll never hear me complain about practice, because I've been out a whole year.

"I'm kinda excited to get back in it. I'm glad to be out there."

Simmons had been out there all too briefly in 2004. After starting all 16 games but failing to live up to anyone's expectations due to a bout with diabetes in 2003 -- Simmons had discovered he was so afflicted on the eve of training camp -- last season was supposed to be the comeback season for the Steelers' No. 1 pick in 2002.

At least that was the plan until a torn anterior cruciate ligament in Simmons' right knee, sustained during a practice in training camp, put his comeback on hold.

Although he's not yet back to full strength, Simmons has reported to minicamp determined to recapture the dominating level of play he had demonstrated briefly during last summer's preseason opener at Detroit.

"That's the best I felt probably ever since I left Auburn," Simmons said. "Even through my rookie year, I didn't feel that good. I worked hard, I just hit a bump in the road. I'm going to get back to that point.

"I can get back there, no problem."

The Steelers might have one if Simmons fails to achieve his goal this time around.

Although he was seamlessly replaced by Keydrick Vincent a season ago, Vincent has since moved on to Baltimore.

Now, it's Simmons who is being counted upon to fill the void left by Vincent.

"Right now, I'm taking it slowly," Simmons said. "I don't need to rush it, because if I do I'm going to end up back on the sideline again. So that's my whole thing, take time and do what I need to do to get it stronger.

"This isn't the regular season, so I'm not in any hurry. The diabetes is a second-nature thing. Right now, my whole concern is getting my knee stronger, I'm not really worrying about anything else. I know the plays, it's just trying to knock the rust off and get back in it."

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
And here's Porter's response to the injured shoulder...

Porter says his shoulder is fine

Tools Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 7, 2005

Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter was "back in his rare form" on the first day of minicamp Friday, according to no less an authority than coach Bill Cowher.
Porter underwent a magnetic resonance imaging test on his shoulder a day earlier due to discomfort in the offseason. The MRI showed no structural damage and Porter deemed himself healthy.

"It was a little nick-nack injury that I had during the season because I'm banging (against defenders) every weekend," he said. "I haven't been doing anything in the offseason, but working out, and I was wondering why it was still nagging. So, I just wanted to get it checked out, and it came out pretty good. ... It was fine, just a little sore. I'll be OK."

In '04, Porter re-emerged as one of the league's best outside linebackers with 63 tackles, seven sacks and three forced fumbles during a 15-1 campaign.

That Pro Bowl season came on the heels of a disappointing '03, during which he struggled to regain his form after absorbing a gunshot wound in the buttocks that forced him to miss the season's first two weeks. The Steelers went 6-10 and missed the playoffs.

"Minicamp is when you start getting yourself ready, running around and getting used to everything again," Porter said. "You want to participate if you can because it all fits into your goals for the next year."

Porter could have a new teammate this fall in former Steelers linebacker Chad Brown, who turned down a $1 million offer to stay with the Seattle Seahawks. Several teams are courting Brown, including the New England Patriots. Brown's agent, Peter Schaffer, said Tuesday that a decision could come by the end of the week, but Schaffer did not return phone calls yesterday. Brown is reportedly seeking in the neighborhood of $1.5 million.

Porter said he would welcome the addition of Brown, who could spell him from time to time.

"If we would pick him up, we'd find a place for him," Porter said of Brown, who struggled with injuries last season and managed just 37 tackles in seven games. "He's still a good player in my mind. He's one of the all-time great linebackers."

Moreover, Brown's transition would be relatively easy because he understands the Steelers' philosophy.

"He's been here before," Porter said. "He knows all about it. It wouldn't be anything new to him. You wouldn't have to teach him the defense and he can play all the positions. So, I think it would be a good thing."

POJO_Risin
05-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Okay...I'm on the Brown bandwagon...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Okay...I'm on the Brown bandwagon...

Don't know why, the Pats signed him to a 2 year deal today...

Bruggers on W38th was where my uncle was laid out, although I was overseas and couldn't make it when he passed...

POJO_Risin
05-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah....right next to Greengarden lanes...the old bowling alley...

Still there...

POJO_Risin
05-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Brown signs with New England...what a fag...gee...you don't think he used the interest with the Steelers to drum up the NE interest do you...

fucking piece of horrid shit...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Another week of training sessions is completed....

The name I keep hearing is the rookie CB, Bryant McFadden from Free Shoes...

It wouldn't surprise me if he actually is good enough to start, but something tells me that the really want Colclough to start....

And another one (again) is WR Zamir Cobb... From what they're saying, he was a good bet to make the team before he broke his leg...

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 04:09 PM
I've heard the same about McFadden...

not much about Zamir Cobb though...other than what you've been saying...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
You'll be sorrrrrry !!!!!

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=NFL&lastline=47764

Kendrell Bell sat out the last two days of Chiefs practice with a groin pull.
Sound familiar, Steelers fans? Bell will produce when on the field, but he is not a reliable IDP bet because of his injury problems. May. 26 - 10:26 am et

POJO_Risin
05-29-2005, 08:09 AM
risk/reward...if he's healthy...we lose...

but chances are...he won't be...

SRK
06-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Post-Plax era begins for Steelers, Roethlisberger

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14583242&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=468632&rfi=6

SRK
06-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Well I don`t know what happened with that link but they let me read the article the first time I tryed...It was a pretty good read ...Had Hines talking about how he and Ben are really getting on the same page now ...Ben is much more relaxed and reads the defenses so much better. His release is faster this year.....Hines also said PLAX and he never really ever where on the same page for what ever reason maybe because PLAX was a 1 round pick and felt he could not learn from me but Fred Gibson is a hungry kid, wanting to learn .....They also mention Heath Millers having a wonderful camp ....He caught a 40 yarder in practice.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Funny thing about it SRK...is that Pittsburgh will be an underdog again this year...

not many people take the 15-1 record seriuusly...

they will...

SRK
06-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I hear you....I think we do better as the underdogs anyway....I don`t know about you but ...I have heard nothing but great things about these wrs and Ben ....Alot of reporters are saying this may be the best group of wrs we`ve had in a long time.

SRK
06-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Steelers wide receivers could be better without Plax

By Rocco DeMaro
SteelersLIVE Xtra
Tuesday, May 31, 2005

What do Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Cedric Wilson, Fred Gibson and Zamir Cobb have in common?
Quite a lot, actually.

If you guessed ‘they all breathe oxygen’ or ‘they’re all bi-pedal mammals’ or ‘none of them are, in fact, elk’, technically speaking you are correct. But in the name of brevity, we’re going to focus on just one of the millions of similarities shared by those men.

None of them are named Plaxico Burress.

It’s that particular similarity that has Steeler Nation concerned.

But fear not. This years wide receiver corps will be better than last years. That’s right, better. And maybe the best the Steelers have had in years. Let’s have a look.

Hines Ward: Not much needs to be said for Hines. Quite simply, he’s one of the greatest wide receivers in Steelers’ history. His past four seasons have been remarkable. 381 catches for 4,499 yards and 30 TDs. It’s the most prolific four year stretch for any receiver in Steelers history. An average season of those four looks like this: 95 receptions, 1,125 yards and 7.5 TDs.

Add to his numbers Hines’ tenacity on the field and leadership off it, and you have a dynamic player and an all-time great.

Antwaan Randle El: Randle El is generously listed at 5’10”. He’s very quick, has good hands and is downright dangerous after the catch. Those things, in essence, make him the anti-Burress. But it’s little El that will probably be the man to take Plax’s spot at the ‘X’ opposite Hines Ward. El displays great ball skills. He makes up for his size with a great vertical leap and “high-points” the ball very well. It’ll be an adjustment for Ben to find the little guy, but Antwaan should be a good downfield threat. And at the very least, he’ll catch the balls he’s supposed to catch…cough…Plax…cough.

Cedric Wilson: Wilson, skills-wise, is very much like Randle El except with slightly better straight-line speed (4.3-4.4). Small, quick, good hands, good after the catch. He’s even got some QB experience in his background. He’ll provide quality competition for Randle El in training camp, and could even supplant El as the starter. The 4-year vet is coming off a career season despite playing with lackluster San Francisco QBs in a lackluster San Francisco offense. 35 of his catches produced first downs last season, and over the past two seasons, 72% of his receptions moved the chains. He is depth and versatility personified, and he’s coming into his own at age 26. A savvy pickup for the Steelers who at worst will be a fine number three wideout.

Fred Gibson: In the fourth round of this year’s draft, the Steelers added a guy with upside. Standing 6’4”, 205, Gibson has the skills scouts love. He can jump, he has speed (timed at 4.47 at the combine), and he was productive in a major collegiate conference, the SEC. He’ll play outside, and could eventually become the red-zone threat so many thought Plax would. For now though, it’s all about the learning process. His play this season depends on how quickly he picks up the offense. But it’s not out of the question to predict a solid contribution this season, and at the very least, Fred could have an impact in red-zone situations. Gibson is the pick a lot of football people are calling the Steelers best of the 2005 draft.

Zamir Cobb: The second-year man out of Temple had an impressive camp last year and might have had the team made if not for his season ending leg injury. Watch for Cobb to make an impact this exhibition season and to open some eyes. He’s a cut 5’11”, 180 with 4.4 speed and a track record of production from his days at Temple. He was first-team All-Big East as a senior in ‘03, along with Pitt’s Larry Fitzgerald. He’s also highly competitive and motivated. The fifth WR spot on the roster is likely between he, Sean Morey and Lee Mays. Look for Cobb to win it with Morey perhaps making the squad as a special teams ace.

All in all, it’s a deep and talented group. For what they lack in height they’ll make up for in athleticism and versatility...and semi-useless quarterbacking skills. Expect big things from the smallish Steelers wide receivers in 2005.

Rocco hosts Weekend Sportsline with Rocco DeMaro Saturday's 1-4 p.m. on FM Newstalk 104.7.

SRK
06-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Now if the Dbs can hold upwe should be in great shape....I think they will.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 12:55 AM
WEll...there's potential there...that's for sure...we'll see though...looking good in camp...and looking good in games are two totally different things...

SRK
06-01-2005, 01:04 AM
I really think these camps help out a lot ...I think the STEELERS do a great job with these camps..... these rookies already have 4 weeks of camp under their belts before summer training camp...and i think you would be hard pressed to find a team that has a better turn out ,as far as vets and so called star players showing up for them.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm not discounting camp...but like I said...we'll see once the season starts...

I'm cautiously optimistic...as I always am...

I like their team...not crazy about the RB situation...and there are a couple of other things I'm worried about...

but...overall...I'm happy...

SRK
06-01-2005, 01:15 AM
The dbs kinda scare me ....but I think we will be fine ...I really like Bryant McFadden.

SRK
06-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Here is part of a news article on the Steelers camp the last couple of weeks ....By Jim Corbett, Sports Weekly USATODAY.COM

Out on their University of Pittsburgh Medical Center practice field, built on the site of a former steel mill along the banks of the Monongahela River, Roethlisberger resembles a 10-year veteran. His sharp decisions and pinpoint throws are in stark contrast to the shaky passer exposed as a rookie late last season.

Big Ben came up small against Jets and Patriots defenses aligned to stop the precocious 11th pick in the 2004 draft. Both dropped extra men into coverage and dared him to throw.

Thanks to ex-Jets kicker Doug Brien's two missed field goals, the Steelers escaped with a 20-17 divisional playoff win in overtime. But Roethlisberger struggled under playoff pressure with three interceptions in the championship game.

He finished with five interceptions and a 61.3 passer rating in the postseason, the rookie wall Big Ben finally hit.

"A lot of people think it's a longer season than in college, but they don't realize I was also training for the draft since last January," Roethlisberger says. "So I went a full year, January to January, nonstop. Yeah, I got a little tired. Later on in the season, I got a little rib injury.

"But I was blessed to stay mostly healthy thanks to my offensive line. It's harder to do things against teams because they start scheming for you. So you have to continue to get better as they get better."

Roethlisberger threw 11 interceptions and nine touchdowns in his final nine starts.

"Defenses tried to make his head spin," receiver Antwaan Randle El says. "It came down to that whole thing of being a rookie at playoff time, the mental and physical pressure, and he was beat up a little bit."

What a difference four months have made. Randle El says Roethlisberger's passes "arrive quicker out of my breaks."

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells called Roethlisberger, who went 14-1 after replacing injured Tommy Maddox in Week 2, the most impressive rookie quarterback since Dan Marino.

Roethlisberger earned Offensive Rookie of the Year honors with a passer rating of 98.1 and a 66.4 completion percentage that shattered rookie marks set by Marino in 1983.

"Now when he hears the play, he understands the call and has an idea of where he wants to go based on what he sees," offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt says. "Whereas last year, he was more concerned about making sure he called the play right. He wasn't as sure of where he was going to go with the ball.

"Out here, it's night and day. I see a guy reading defenses better. He's a very good pocket passer who's a lot more comfortable with his role as a leader on this football team and has taken the time to study during the offseason."

Big Ben is driven to atone for that finish. He's been breaking down game tape with Ward, himself a quarterback in college.

"My goal is to become the best and, in order to do that, I have to put in extra time and bond with the guys," Roethlisberger says. "Hines and I sat down and talked about defenses and what he would do against certain defenses and what I should look at. We watched a lot of film together, and I did a lot on my own."

The 23-year-old is fast forging better chemistry with his receiving corps: Ward, Randle El, free agent addition Cedrick Wilson, fourth-round pick Fred Gibson from Georgia and tight end Heath Miller, the impressive first-rounder from Virginia.

How will the loss of big-play, 6-6 Plaxico Burress, his go-to guy gone to the New York Giants, affect Roethlisberger?

"Plax is a big target, a friend and a great teammate," Roethlisberger says. "But it's a business. We have some great new acquisitions in our draft guys and Cedrick, and we have some other guys who are going to step up like Antwaan and Lee Mays."

Ward and Roethlisberger are using the offseason to form a better bond.

"Last year we missed out on this time together where you develop that trust between receiver and quarterback," Ward says. "If the run game isn't going well, I want Ben to have the trust in me to go out and win in the passing game."

With his 6-5, 255-pound size and receiver's hands, Miller gives Roethlisberger an underneath security blanket and red-zone threat.

Steelers tight ends have long been extra tackles in a run-oriented attack. But Whisenhunt, a former NFL tight end, figures to get Miller involved.

But despite the Steelers' desire to take better advantage of Big Ben's big-play arm, ability to throw on the run and comfort level, they won't stray too far from their running roots.

After all, Cowher recommitted to the run game when his team finished 31st in rushing while going 6-10 in 2003. Behind Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, center Jeff Hartings and left tackle Marvel Smith, the Steelers averaged 154 rushing yards and a league-best 34 minutes of possession time. That approach took pressure off Roethlisberger and kept Dick LeBeau's 3-4 "Blitzburgh" defense fresh enough to lead the league.

"We're not going to deviate from what we do," Cowher says. "We want to establish the running game first, and with that we'll open things up to take our shots down the field.

"What your record is and the amount of time you're leading football games will correlate with a lot of runs, because that's certainly how we want to play the game."

Still, Roethlisberger's development combined with the more diverse weapons around him figure to lobby Cowher to open up the playbook more than last season.

SRK
06-10-2005, 12:31 AM
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

It may be summer, and the Steelers offseason program may be over, but Coach Bill Cowher warned his players not to think of the six weeks between now and the opening of training camp as a vacation.

The Steelers completed the final day of their allotted number of organized team activities on Thursday, but to Cowher all that means is his players should be moving onto the next phase of their personal preparation for the July 31 reporting date at St. Vincent College.

"This is unsupervised time, the next six weeks, but to me it’s very telling," said Cowher. "It’ll be very telling as to what the players do with it. Work ethic is not always defined by what they do when you’re there, but by what they do when you’re not around. This is not the time to relax. They had their off-time.

"And you can’t get up early to beat the heat or wait until late in the day to beat the heat. You have to start running in the middle of the day. We play a lot of 1 p.m. games, our second game is at Houston, and I’m assuming we’ll be wearing our black jerseys. It’s going to be hot there, and camp’s going to be hot. They need to be out there in the middle of the day, doing things when other people are in the shade or by the pool. Those are the sacrifices you have to make."

One year ago, the Steelers used a productive offseason as a springboard into a competitive training camp that served as the foundation for a season that ended with a franchise-best 15-1 record in the regular season. But that record doesn’t leave as little room for improvement as the numbers might suggest.

"Where you start is so much based on where you finished the previous year, because that’s the reality of where you are," said Cowher. "But starting that way doesn’t mean you don’t still have to build that foundation. This is going to be a tough camp. It’s going to be very demanding. It’s going to be very competitive. It’s going to test their focus. We’re not trying to live up to a 15-1 record and the idea of, how do you do better than that? The bottom line is we were 1-1 in the postseason, and we have to do better than that."

Cowher pointed to the positions of wide receiver and defensive back as examples of the keen competition players will be facing for roster spots, and then for roles, in 2005.

"Somewhere in the process of practice and games, there’s going to have to be some separation done by players," said Cowher. "We’re looking for consistent, productive football players. I don’t want to see a guy flash here or there, because that will happen. You have to be a consistent, productive football player, and if you do that you’ll find a way onto this team and you’ll find a way onto the field. At receiver and defensive back, it will be very, very competitive."

The Steelers also completed this phase of their offseason in good health. Cowher said he expects everyone to be ready to go once things get underway at St. Vincent College.

Both players who had major knee surgery last year are progressing as expected, according to Cowher. Kendall Simmons took part in all aspects of the completed coaching sessions, and even though Casey Hampton was held out of some of the team drills, that was said to be because his injury occurred a couple of months later than Simmons’. Hines Ward was given a day off because of some tendinitis, and Alan Faneca was with his wife, Julie, who gave birth to the couple’s first child, a daughter, on June 3. Rookie Heath Miller missed no time because of his January sports hernia surgery.

"We’ve had a very good offseason program," said Cowher. "The participation has been excellent, and more importantly the work on the field has been excellent. There has been good energy, and we got some things accomplished. Certainly what happens over the next six weeks before training camp is critical, as I told the players this morning. There are no shortcuts, and it’s not going to be easy, but that’s what separates these guys from other players. If they want to be the best, they’ll make those sacrifices.

"Training camp will be very, very competitive. We know what’s ahead of us."

SRK
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
A conversation with ... Jerome Bettis

Video: Watch the Jerome Bettis interview
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8561049

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Is anyone as worried about the RB's as I am?

I like Vernon as much as the next guy...as a backup...

If Staley is healthy...and so is Bettis...that's one thing...but why do we think THAT is going to happen...

and they need a running game for that passing game to work this year...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I think the COMBINATION of both of them bolds much better for the team than if they had to rely on one or the other...

It'd be nice to have a healthy Duce this year.....

SRK
06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I can see your point...Duce is good when healthy but can he stay healthy a full season? Bettis is a great plan B but we can`t expect him to repeat the year he had last season...Verron Haynes is a good back but seems to get an injury just when he has a chance to step up to be a starter.......Willie Parker is the wild card in all of this and I hear they plan on giving him a chance for more playing time this season....

Over all I Think they will be just fine ...unless they have a bunch of injuries.

SRK
06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
MYRON COPE RETIRES ......TRUELY A SAD DAY FOR STEELER FANS EVERYWHERE http://secure2.steelers.com/article/54010/

Va Beach VH Fan
06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Watched his press conference today...

He sounds bad, he's had a lot of health problems lately...

SRK
06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I did`nt get to see all of it just news clips...But he was having a hard time with his voice....Just wish he could of made one more season ....

Its hard to imagine a steelers game without Myron Cope.

POJO_Risin
06-22-2005, 01:49 AM
Myron was interesting...

I can tell you this about the guy...

I don't know ONE person outside Steeler fandom that like Myron Cope...

which makes him alright in my book...

We all knew this day was coming...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-22-2005, 10:19 AM
You read my mind Poj....

That's the thing about Myron...

Someone from a different section of the country could listen to a Steeler game, listen to Myron and say, "you can't understand that guy, he's terrible"....

But Myron has the atypical Pittsburgh accent, and combined that with his "Myronisms", like yoi, um-hah, and stuff like that.....

He'll be missed, I'm sure we'll see him around the sidelines or the press box though....

POJO_Risin
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
I'll miss the Cincy Bungles...the Cleve Brownies...and what not...

it's funny...that guy fucking drove the fucking Browns fans nuts...they DESPISED HIM...which is why he was the perfect Pittsburgh announcer...

someone is about to walk into a great job though...I hope they hire good...and it will be interesting to see where they go with this...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Actually, they're planning on not replacing him at all...

The 3 man booth, with Hargrove and Tunch, will go down to only them....

POJO_Risin
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I shoulda read the article...

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Marino says he turned down chance to play for Steelers in 2000

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

July 21, 2005

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Hall of Fame-bound Dan Marino says he retired five years ago only after rejecting an offer to play for his hometown team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When his 17-year career with the Miami Dolphins ended with the 1999 season, Marino turned down a well-publicized offer from the Minnesota Vikings. On Thursday, Marino said he also was approached by other teams, including the Steelers and coach Bill Cowher.

``I had a chance to go to Pittsburgh,'' Marino said. ``I don't think anybody knew that. ... Cowher called me about playing, but I had to make a decision within a couple of days, because he already had a guy that he was going to sign.''

Instead, the Pittsburgh native -- 38 years old and hampered by injuries -- decided against playing in 2000.

``At the time, I just kept thinking back to how my body felt the year before,'' he said. ``And to me there was something special about playing 17 years in one place. Although I was pretty close to doing it, it just didn't feel right. I probably could have played another year, no doubt.''

The most prolific passer in NFL history, Marino will be inducted Aug. 7 into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Don Shula paid tribute during a telephone conference call Wednesday -- and in the process took a shot at his successor as Dolphins coach, Jimmy Johnson. Shula, unable to contain his disdain for Johnson, bristled when asked if Marino benefited from having only two coaches.

``You mean he had one coach,'' Shula said. ``Look at the numbers. They speak for themselves.''

During 13 years with Shula, Marino averaged 28 touchdown passes per season, and Miami had a winning percentage of .614, plus six playoff victories. Throwing less often in his four years under Johnson, Marino averaged 17 touchdown passes per season, and Miami had a winning percentage of .563, plus two playoff wins.

In the wake of Shula's remark, Marino was asked if things would have been different had he played his entire career under the Hall of Fame coach.

``How did I know that was going to come up?'' Marino said with a chuckle. ``Would it have been different? Who knows? Coach Shula was an incredible influence on my career and a guy I respect very much, and I'm real excited that he's going to be there (in Canton) in two weeks.''

Va Beach VH Fan
07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow, interesting, I had never heard that before....

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Would have been cool to see Marino in the Steeler colors.

POJO_Risin
07-21-2005, 11:32 PM
I remember rumbles about Marino and Pittsburgh...but never heard anything official...he was washed up at that point anyways...

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 11:35 PM
He was.

The Achilles did him in, I can't remember if he only tore it or suffered the complete rupture.

I ruptured mine in a basketball tourney, snapped from my heel and rode up my calf like one of those window blinds.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-31-2005, 09:43 PM
This is gonna get ugly....

Colbert said there will be no more negotiations with Ward holding out while under contract.

"It’s always been the policy of this organization that there will be no negotiations while a player who is under contract is not in camp," said Colbert.

http://secure2.steelers.com/article/55182/

Ward absent as camp opens
Sunday, July 31, 2005
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. – One of the tests of every NFL training camp is finding a way to deal with the highs and lows, and the Steelers were exposed to both ends of that spectrum within a 30-minute span Sunday evening. During that time, one news conference was held to announce the signing of No. 1 pick Heath Miller; shortly after, in the same room, another media briefing delivered more somber news concerning the status of Hines Ward.

As of Sunday’s 6 p.m. deadline, 85 Steelers players had reported to St. Vincent College for the start of this training camp, but Ward was not among them. The four-time Pro Bowl receiver who has one year remaining on a contract he signed in 2001 had said earlier in the week that he would not report to training camp unless an extension was worked out with the team, and when it wasn’t he didn’t.

"Obviously we have been in contract discussions with Hines and his representatives for an extension," said Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert. "Unfortunately we weren’t able to come to an agreement and he has chosen not to be here at this time. We’ve had discussions as late as today, and we’ve had discussions periodically since February, and this is where it is. The player is not here, and until you have an agreement I don’t think (you can say) there’s been significant progress."

Throughout the day, Ward’s teammates expressed support for his situation, they said they understand the business aspect of professional football, and they said they hoped for a quick resolution to the stalemate. But in answer to a question, Colbert said there will be no more negotiations with Ward holding out while under contract.

"It’s always been the policy of this organization that there will be no negotiations while a player who is under contract is not in camp," said Colbert.

When asked if the next move belonged to Ward and his representatives – Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes – Colbert said, "Again the policy always has been if a player is under contract, he has to be in camp for any negotiations to go forward. There’s always give-and-take in negotiations, but without the player present there won’t be any exchange."

Colbert said that any decision to fine Ward for missing days of training camp would belong to Coach Bill Cowher.

Earlier in the day, team president Art Rooney II officially welcomed Miller to the Steelers and congratulated him for graduating from the University of Virginia during the offseason. The Steelers announced the signings of Miller, No. 2 pick Bryant McFadden and No. 3 pick Trai Essex on Sunday, and getting those three deals done meant the Steelers had all of their rookies in camp before the reporting deadline.

"I think you have to start giving the player the credit for that," said Rooney about why Miller’s deal got done. "Usually it’s the player who has to push his representative to get things done on time. It’s indicative of Heath’s commitment to being here on time."

Colbert wouldn’t elaborate on the specifics for the impasse in the negotiations with Ward and his agents, but Ward himself has said it’s about the amount of guaranteed money in the proposed contract extension. Reports have indicated the Steelers were willing to make Ward the highest-paid player in franchise history, with a signing bonus also at a level of the highest in franchise history. Those same reports have Ward looking to be paid on a level of the top receivers in the NFL.

"We’re aware of what goes on around the league, and we’re sensitive, even though we don’t like to use the term, market, we understand what players are being compensated," said Colbert. "And we try to be as fair as we can within our own constraints, because we have to make the best decisions, not only for that player, but for our team as well. These are things that have to be worked out over time. We’re aware of it, and we try to make it the best we can for the player. Hopefully, we can get to that point where the player will be satisfied. We’re sensitive to what goes on around the league, but we also have to be sensitive to what’s best for our team in the long run."

And now, the Steelers will go about the business of conducting their training camp without Ward, for now.

"I don’t know if I would determine it a distraction, because I don’t think it’ll be talked about from this point forward, until something changes," said Colbert. "But in our minds there’s nothing to discuss beyond what we’ve already discussed. If the player was in camp, we hopefully would continue the negotiations. But unfortunately, he’s not."

Camp officially gets underway on Monday afternoon when the team holds its annual conditioning test, which is slated to begin at 2 p.m. The run test is closed to the public. The first open practice for the general public is set for Tuesday at 3 p.m.

POJO_Risin
07-31-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't know what to think about this...

nosammy
08-01-2005, 03:52 AM
hey...i just checked out the bot on the other forum and it said that POJO=HOMO........funny bot....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Boy...Pete...do I have a funny fucking story about you...

talk about a laughingstock...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 11:36 AM
What the fuck was that Saturday Night Live skit that Mike Myers used to do...

Sprockets???

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Fucking Dieter...

or should we say...

Pete...

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/images/dieter1.jpg

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Here we go with the Steelers...Staley...a fucking bust thusfar...down and out...

looks like Parker and Bettis are going to be sharing time if this turns into a serious injury...

which I'd bet on...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Doesn't look like anything serious.....

But you're right, it'd be nice to have him for a full season....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Well...it doesn't look serious...

but they said the same thing about the hammy last year...

I'd say this too...there was fluid on the knee...

which generally means surgery at some point...

I would love to have BOTH of the backs fresh during post season...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but at the same time they have a good insurance policy in Parker....

Also sounds like the WR corps is looking really well, waiting for Hines to show up....

Looking like Cedrick Wilson is meshing with Ben pretty well...

And I think Zamir Cobb will make the team this year, assuming he doesn't break his leg again....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah Va...check out the rumor mill thread...I've been rollin' with this topic there as well...

I know you are high on Cobb...but I just don't see this receiving corp the same way you do.

Cedrick Wilson...IMO...isn't going to be the guy they want him to be...and without WARD...this could be their worst receiving corp since the post Lipps era...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
and as much as I like Parker...he still has to prove it over a longer period than 2 carries here...and 2 carries there...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Oh, I agree with you on Wilson, if Hines isn't in there, it changes the whole shebang...

As far as Parker goes, he looked damn good vs. the 1st string of the Bills in game 16 last year....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah...I won't disagree with you on how Parker looked in 1 game...against a team that quite honestly...laid an egg...

I think Parker is a real deal...but right now...if Pittsburgh were to put all its eggs in Willie Parker's basket...

you and I would both be shitting our pants...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Staley to undergo tests on sore knee
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 27 minutes ago

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) - The Pittsburgh Steelers' two-man running back rotation was missing both of its main components in practice Saturday, and Duce Staley's sore right knee is becoming a concern.

Staley missed most of the second half of last season with a sore right hamstring - allowing Jerome Bettis to nearly get another 1,000-yard season - and he has sat out all but one full day of training camp contact work because of the aching knee.
After insisting for several days that the injury wasn't a worry, coach Bill Cowher said Staley will undergo an MRI test Sunday to make sure there's nothing wrong.

"We'll kind of go from there, see where he's at," Cowher said. "He still doesn't feel real comfortable."

Staley needed fluid drained off the knee after just one day of practice, a condition that sometimes can indicate a problem that requires arthroscopic surgery. With the regular season more than a month away, Staley has enough time to have an operation and still be ready for the Sept. 11 opener against Tennessee.

"We're going to be very proactive, make sure if there's any problems to get them taken care of now because we want him ready to go for the first game," Cowher said.

Bettis, who finished up last season with a minor quadriceps tear, also sat out Saturday, mostly just so he would have two days off in a row before a full week of camp.

Staley took part in some light running, but skipped the goal-line drill Cowher traditionally uses to wrap up the first week of camp.

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 06:59 PM
personally...I'd keep Bettis in the short yardage situations...

and work Parker and Haynes in the Staley role...

but that's probably why I'm not paid to coach...lmfao...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd only change that a little...

Haynes is more of a 3rd down back...

I think Parker could handle more of the load...

Not all of the load, but more of it...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Parker just has that feel of a Joe Morris to me...with more speed...

And I agree...you could bring in Haynes as the 3rd down back...bigger...better receiver...and Parker wouldn't get worn down...

He's 210...5'10"

I think he may be more durable than we think...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Then bring in the bus on short yardage and goalline situations...