Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Va Beach VH Fan
08-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Just wait, 3rd week, he'll show up...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05225/553553.stm

No progress, but Steelers, Ward talk
Saturday, August 13, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Despite their stance of not negotiating with players who are not in training camp, the Steelers continue to have discussions with the agents for holdout receiver Hines Ward and have talked directly to the four-time Pro Bowl performer.

Nonetheless, the Steelers are no closer to resolving their differences with Ward, who is seeking a contract extension, and are now being led to believe he eventually will report later in the season merely to play out the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Ward would have to report to the Steelers by the 10th week of the regular season and be on the 53-man roster for the final six games to be credited with fulfilling the final year of his contract.

Once he does that, he can become an unrestricted free agent and is free to sign with another team.

Ward's agent, Eugene Parker, could not be reached for comment.

A report on ESPN Thursday night said Ward is resigned to sitting out the first six games of the season before reporting. When asked yesterday about the report, coach Bill Cowher said, "I don't want to comment on that."

POJO_Risin
08-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I like how you say that like it's a good thing...

personally...if he sits out for even 1 game...fuck him...

POJO_Risin
08-13-2005, 04:48 PM
God I'm sick of these fuckers complaining about contracts and how their money isn't fucking guaranteed...fuck them all...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
I like how you say that like it's a good thing...

personally...if he sits out for even 1 game...fuck him...

Where are you seeing that I think it's a good thing ??

IMO, he's gonna make his statement, and sit out a few weeks of training camp, which more and more players are doing now anyways...

His agents and the Steelers are already talking...

Once the 3rd week sets in, meaning only two weeks until opening day, they'll come to an agreement...

He'll get the rust off of his legs, play in the last two games, and everything will be forgotten....

I never said I'm happy about anything on his holdout, I'm just making a prediction....

POJO_Risin
08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
The article talked about how he's planning that he's going to miss games DURING the season...

and you came in and said...3rd week...he'll be back...

I figured you were talking 3rd week of the season...

Ah yes...the infamous Va predictions...

I'm making none here...IMO...nobody wins...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
LOL, so much for my predictions... 2 weeks off....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05227/554383.stm

Ward ends holdout, reports to Steelers
Monday, August 15, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wide receiver Hines Ward has ended his contract holdout and reported to the team, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

The team has scheduled a press conference for 6:45 p.m. today, preceding tonight's exhibition game with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Ward held out the first two weeks of training camp when the two sides could not come to an agreement on a contract extension. The Steelers said they would not continue negotiations until he reported to camp.

"He's back. That's all I can tell you," the source told the Post-Gazette. "I think he'll be on the sidelines tonight."

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

ALinChainz
08-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Will there be anything to talk about on tonight's Philly-Pitt game other than disgruntled WRs?

Should make for some big efforts for those vying for roles in each team's respective passing games.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Hines had a press conference about an hour ago...

I think he said "I want to retire as a Steeler" about 83 times....

Word is that the contract will be signed by the end of the week....

POJO_Risin
08-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh fuck Va...we know you're just fucking plain off your rocker...;)

Good for Ward...finally waking up...and I think he'll get a contract worth his while...that may save the Steelers season...

shootout in Philly tonight...doesn't really mean anything without that Bitch Philly fan Lou here...but wtf...

Pittsburgh's first stringers dropped 2 TD's on Philly...defense and special teams that is...

WW with a int return...and Colclough with a punt return...then Ike Taylor with a kickoff return for a TD...

Pittsburgh's offense looked like ass though...not happy about that...but it's early yet...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Oh fuck Va...we know you're just fucking plain off your rocker...;)

You may have something there... ;)

Gotta take the 1st preseason game with a grain of salt...

The pass defense looked pourous on one hand, but on the other hand you realize that the defense will be very vanilla, as to not expose anything other than the basic crap...

The offense looked average as well...

Special teams of course looked good, let's hope that's a good sign...

I was impressed with the WR's, especially Nate Washington and Fred Gibson....

And how about Gibson's "Ward-like" block on Washington's catch ?? Just shellacked him....

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 12:12 PM
A note from Plax...what a fucking dildo...

The Steelers hold a special dark place in Plaxico Burress' heart. He acknowledges that he grew as a receiver in five seasons there, but said he started thinking of moving on after 2002, when he had 1,325 receiving yards. He totaled only 1,558 the next two seasons as Pittsburgh's offense became more run-based. "I played alongside a Pro Bowl receiver [Hines Ward], but I was the one going out every Sunday and getting double-teamed," Burress said.
-- Newsday

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Plax mentions "going out every Sunday..."

was there an alternate universe in which he played in more than half the games?

ALinChainz
08-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Or make half the practices or mini-camps?

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 12:28 PM
and he's doing the same shit this year with the nicks and bruises...fucking pussy...

ALinChainz
08-20-2005, 12:31 PM
And the dipshit could be a monster.

No heart or drive, just a check.

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 12:51 PM
He's a little monster...doing nothing...it's amazing that these guys don't see it...or don't get it...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Dolphins in the 'Burgh tonight for the 2nd preseason game...

Starters to play 1st half...

No live TV for me (it's only on KDKA), but for those who have the NFL Network, it's due to be rebroadcast at 8AM Sunday morning....

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
For all us Steeler fans...;)

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Alright...Steelers vs. Redskins...

Roeth is still looking like fucking Kordell...and fucking overthrowing everyone...fucking son of a bitch...

2 games on tonight...

Pittsburgh/Washington...

Carolina/Browns...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:16 PM
God...Trent Dilfer is fucking horrible...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Ramsey's #11...he hasn't been #11 the whole time has he?

I coulda sworn he was a different number...but maybe not...

wasn't that Rypien's number...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Washington driving through fucking Pittsburgh's defense...until now...Portis hammered up the middle...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Damn...Pittsburgh just caught a break...Santana Moss had a fucking five yard cushion on Townshend...and underthrew it...

Randal-El faircatches at the 9...is he retarded?

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Ramsey's #11...he hasn't been #11 the whole time has he?

I coulda sworn he was a different number...but maybe not...

wasn't that Rypien's number...lmfao...

Yes he has.

And yes, it was.

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:27 PM
uh oh ... Bettis ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Fucking Bettis is hurt...beautiful...

it may be a hidden gem though if he is hurt...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:29 PM
I just can't help thinking that Roeth has Kordell disease...he OVERTHROWS EVERYTHING...

remember when we fucking were talking about how everything he threw was on the money...

I can't remember the last time I saw him throw on the mark...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Yep, picked him up in the South ...and will in the A league if need be.

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Parker you mean?

There's Troy with a great read on a shit pass...

that guy may be the best safety in the game at the end of this season...what's with Donna Sommer's hair though?

ALinChainz
Palomalou ... I'll deal him to ya Poj ...

POJO_Risin
Parker has Joe Morris written all over him...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Parker you mean?

Yep. :D

I think he'll play TB more than Vernon Haynes.

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
No...who did you pick up in the South...and maybe the North?

I know you have Troy...but don't know who I'd deal for a defensive guy...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Parker has Joe Morris written all over him...

Would like to see him run with the first string dudes some.

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:38 PM
No...who did you pick up in the South...and maybe the North?

I know you have Troy...but don't know who I'd deal for a defensive guy...

Right.

I picked up Parker in Dynasty South.

And got Troy in the Yahoo B.

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I was all set to take him with our 2nd pick...but wasn't around...then heard a couple of things that made me wonder...

thing is...even in a keeper...the betting man will say...Haynes and Parker will split...

and lose time when Duce and Bettis are healthy...

and that the Steelers will take a good back in the first couple of rounds next year...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Pittsburgh's offense looks anemic...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Moss looks great...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Jesus Christ...Polamalu almost picked that shit off...

Willie Williams sucks...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Willie Williams sucked 5 years ago...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:44 PM
They may split to begin ... that last game versus the Fins ... Haynes had more carries, but Parker almost 10 yds a pop.

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Cowher was saying how they "have to get the ball in his hands ...somehow" ...made me go with him over Haynes.

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Charlie Fucking Batch...how is that guy still wearing a fucking jersey...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:47 PM
They have to give Parker some shots up the middle though...I haven't seen him go up the middle yet this year...

and if you can't run off tackle...you won't start for the Steelers...

They worry about his size...but they had the Pegram/Foster tandem at one point...or was it Pegram/Jackson?...

or was it Pegram and someone else...lmfao...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Damn ... Jackson I think .. Foster was pretty much hogging it all when he was there ...

lol ... Batch ... they eventalk like they might be able to trade him ...

He's cut material ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Like I said...I thought that parker was a sleeper this year...but just can't see him getting a lot of touches consistently...

if he had next year potential...I woulda forced the issue a bit...

the three backs I had in mind...was Parker...the dude that Minny took...Faison...and earlier...Morency...who the Steelers wanted to slide so they could get him...

POJO_Risin
lmfao...did you say Parker?

ALinChainz
And BOOM ... up the middle!

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
and up the middle...

jesus christ...what a fucking flier...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
lmfao...did you say Parker?

lol ... like we were saying ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Did you see that fucking hole though...holy fuck...I could had a 10 yard run doing the crab walk...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
You know it didn't look serious with Bettis ... but sometimes ...sometimes ...achilles tendon injuries look like that ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:52 PM
I'll tell you this right now...

I'd take Parker and Haynes as a RB tandem in a fucking heartbeat....

just me though...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Did you see that fucking hole though...holy fuck...I could had a 10 yard run doing the crab walk...

she was wide bro ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:53 PM
It didn't look serious...

but he didn't look happy on the bench...

lmfao...but we know you've got fantasy on the mind...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:53 PM
I'll tell you this right now...

I'd take Parker and Haynes as a RB tandem in a fucking heartbeat....

just me though...

they won't be hurting ... just as long as they hold onto the damn ball and be smart in blitz pick-up ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Yo Al...you have a couple of more moves to make on the baseball league...I see you can up the count manually...don't think that was there earlier...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
It didn't look serious...

but he didn't look happy on the bench...

lmfao...but we know you've got fantasy on the mind...

oh I do ... but Marino looked like that ... Janson ... I've had it ... it means done for a year ... should be just a cramp or hammy ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
that being said...I see them going RB next year...

"THE BILL COWHER POWER HOUR..."

A little comedy...a little weightlifting...

lmfao...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Yo Al...you have a couple of more moves to make on the baseball league...I see you can up the count manually...don't think that was there earlier...

Yeah!

I'll be able to make my move!

I've waited long enough ... now ... my evil plan ...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Ben really should have hit Kreider ... looks like he looked at him and then away too quick ...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah ... calf pull ... that is one fucking GIANT calf too ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I think Steeler fans need to be ready to see a rookie this year...

how in the fuck can so many Steelers miss Ramsey so many times...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Man...Polamalu has made some great fucking plays tonight...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Ramsey is not long for Washington ...at all.

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Well...I like Campbell...but he's not the answer...and Brunell is a great backup...

they just aren't there yet...

I'd be tempted to start Campbell...but you know Gibbs is thinking playoffs...no matter who's the qb...

ALinChainz
08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Gave up a 3rd this season ... and a 1st and 4th next season, to move up to take Campbell.

If that isn't a ticket out of town ...will probably last tthe season obviously ... but after that ...

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 09:58 PM
like I said...I like Campbell...I just can't imagine ANYONE living up to a 1st, 3rd and 4th...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, vanilla playcalling aside...

You can tell, Cowher is gonna be one jaw-thrusting MOFO....

Quite the uninspired performance....

VHdamaco
08-26-2005, 11:20 PM
i say cowhers gonna shit a brick about roethlisberger by about game 3, then he'll give ben two more games tops before maddox is the starter...

roethlisberger looked complacent and, like VA pointed out about the rest of the team, uninspired. that shit cowher won't tolerate...

as far as ramsey is concerned, i was overly impressed that he was able to play a good game (minus the interception and the couple of underthrown balls), i'd still prefer brunell to start though...

also, looking at it; portis might have been a bad idea, ladell betts is going to be a beast this year and it's gonna be sad to see him play in another uniform soon. liked the chrisma arrington brought to the field in his first game back in a long time...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-27-2005, 09:14 AM
I actually thought Portis looked good, as did Santana Moss...

Moss might be a steal in the mid fantasy rounds (Hmmm....)

Word is not that Parker may not even play in the Carolina pre-season game, 'cause in Cowher's words, "he's my only healthy back left"...

I got no problem with that... Parker is QUICKLY making a case for a shitload of carries, even when Duce/Bus get back....

I'm not THAT worried about Ben's accuracy right now... He's only had a week with the full compliment of receivers...

You can forget about that Maddox talk.... For his high throws may be concerning, his mobility and escapability easily put him over Maddox...

POJO_Risin
08-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm that worried...he's been overthrowing guys now since week 9 or 10 last season...

they were saying it started in the playoffs last year...which was wrong...it was amplified in the playoffs for sure...

I don't buy the Maddox talk either...

actually...you have to wonder if Batch might not end up a #2 in the minds of some coaches...

POJO_Risin
08-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Portis looked really good...

finding it amusing that people thought Gibbs wouldn't "figure out" how to utilize a good running back...

POJO_Risin
08-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Please take Moss...

if Ramsey wasn't throwing the ball to him...I might buy him that high...but I just don't think Ramsey can throw 2 good balls in a row...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-27-2005, 03:55 PM
but I just don't think Ramsey can throw 2 good balls in a row...

You may be right about that, but Brunell probably could....

POJO_Risin
08-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Brunell probably could...if 2 things happened...

1. There was no pressure and he didn't have to run around...

2. If his arm wasn't hanging like a noodle because he's hurt every other second...

honestly...if I weren't named Gibbs...

I'd have waived Ramsey...made Brunell my starter...Campbell the #2...and basically said...if we are heading to the playoffs...Brunell stays...if by week 8 we suck ass...Campbell's the goto boy...

POJO_Risin
08-28-2005, 02:21 PM
WTF are we talking about the Redskins...lmfao...

Va Beach VH Fan
09-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Finally...

http://postgazette.com/pg/05248/566044.stm

Ward, Steelers agree to 4-year contract extension
Monday, September 05, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today signed wide receiver Hines Ward to a four-year contract extension that will take him through the 2009 season.

They have called a press conference for today to announce the deal. Ward held out the first 15 days of training camp to protest the lack of progress in contract talks, but the sides negotiated long over the weekend and polished off details of the extension this morning. Ward had one year left on his previous contract.

rustoffa
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Found this......
:D

POJO_Risin
09-19-2005, 09:36 PM
That picture is fucking hilarious...

POJO_Risin
09-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Okay...Pittsburgh is 2-0 against 2 shit teams...

Roeth has been nothing short of brilliant...doing exactly what a Steeler QB needs to do...and guess what...WARD is alive and well...

as is Willie Parker...who should continue to get the not as the bulk carrier in this offense...spelled by Staley for a series a half...and give Bettis short yardage...

Next week is the guage game. If they beat New England...and Ben looks moderately good...I'll let go of the waiting for the Ball to drop with Roeth...and call him the next big thing...

Va Beach VH Fan
09-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I have been biting my tongue as well... The barometer happens Sunday....

Ben's accuracy has been very impressive, which of course was everyone's fear in the preseason...

Have also been impressed with Randle El and Wilson, almost to the point of forgetting about Burress.... Add in Heath Miller's presence in the red zone, and that "almost" may go away...

It's to the point now that I can't see Parker NOT getting the bulk of the carries even when the other two are back....

But again, they played two mediocre defenses, let's see what he does against NE...

The defense is, well, the defense.... If Polamalu isn't All-Pro this year, Ed Reed must be blowing the entire voting corps....

But having said all that, the Patsies are gonna be one pissed off bunch by playing such a shitty game against the Panthers....

POJO_Risin
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Polamalu is nothing short of awesome...

but next week could mean a great season...or just a good one...

ALinChainz
09-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Clock error adds 52 seconds to Patriots-Steelers game, aids late NE drive

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

September 26, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A clock error added 52 seconds to the fourth quarter of the Patriots-Steelers game Sunday. The extra time aided the Patriots during a winning drive that ended with Adam Vinatieri's 43-yard field goal with 1 second remaining.

The Patriots won 23-20, their fourth victory against the Steelers in five games since 2001, including AFC championship game victories during the 2001 and 2004 seasons.

The NFL acknowledged the mistake Monday, with director of officiating Mike Pereira issuing a statement: ``The on-field officiating crew, which oversees the official game clock operated in the press box, failed to recognize that the clock was improperly reset.''

The mistake occurred after the second play of the fourth quarter, a reverse by Steelers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson for no gain on second-and-10 from the Pittsburgh 30 with the Steelers ahead 13-10.

There were 14 minutes, 51 seconds remaining when the play started and, by the time, a false start penalty was called on Steelers guard Kendall Simmons, the Heinz Field clock had run down to 13:59.

But before the next play started, the clock reverted back to 14:51 -- the time left before the Wilson run. Ben Roethlisberger's incompletion on third-and-15 lasted 14 seconds and Chris Gardocki's 51-yard punt took up 10 seconds, meaning the Patriots got the ball back with 14:19 remaining in the game rather than 13:27 if the error hadn't occurred.

According to former NFL official Chuck Heberling, who observes the officials in a league-appointed capacity, an NFL employee in New York spotted the error and immediately called officials supervisor Johnny Grier. Grier was sitting with Heberling in the press box.

``We checked it out with the statisticians and, according to his records, everything seemed to be all right,'' Heberling said. As a result, no move was made to try to correct the error.

The mistake showed up when the officiating crew, headed by referee Bill Carollo, reviewed the CBS game tape with Grier and Heberling during their usual post-game meeting in a Pittsburgh hotel.

``When we ran the tape, it was obvious it (the clock) was jumping,'' Heberling said.

The clock operators -- there are two, one for the game clock and the other for the play clock -- are locally based but hired by the league. The Steelers did not identify them, and they are not listed with the other officials on the league's statistical report.

``It's a very unusual thing,'' Heberling said.

The mistake caused the final quarter to last 15 minutes, 52 seconds, extra time that proved invaluable to New England after the Steelers tied it at 20 on Roethlisberger's 4-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward with 1:21 remaining.

After New England got the ball at its 38, Tom Brady needed only 31 seconds to complete passes of 17, 14 and 6 yards to set up Vinatieri's third field goal of the game. Forty-five seconds ran off between the time Brady found David Givens for 6 yards to the Steelers 25 and Vinatieri kicked the decisive field goal.

Steelers president Dan Rooney was unaware of the mistake until being alerted Monday by reporters.

``There's nothing to say. The game's over,'' Rooney said. ``It's not going to change the score.''

Va Beach VH Fan
09-26-2005, 08:55 PM
OK, I've had 24 hours now to make my observations rational, rather than pure venting....

#1, you just gotta give props to that son of a bitch Brady....

OK, that's enough talk about the Pats...

Christ, where do we start ?? Every facet of the Steelers team had problems....

QB - Grade: C-... Ben, Ben, Ben.... Ben is acting like he broke Belichek's best vase and is trying not to get caught.... Outside of the one threading-the-needle pass to Hines, every other pass was aimed, shotputted, or otherwise poorly thrown... In addition, he was running when we could have stayed in the pack, and vice versa.... It's clear that Ben has to get over his Patriot-itis, or this team will face similar results....

RB - Grade: C-... The only reason why I don't grade Willie's day worse is because he had NOWHERE to run.... Jim Brown would have gotten the same grade the way that O-line played....

O-line - Grade: D-.... The Pats' D-line overpowered the O-line most of the game, especially in the 2nd half, in which Ben was running for his life... Also counted in this is the bonehead penalty that cost the Steelers 3 points....

WR's - Grade: C.... Hines' TD was pretty sweet, kinda similar to the Kordell/Shaw TD in B'More a few years back.... But that was more than offset by Randal El's bonehead plays... I think he had 3 dropped passes, in addition to that unbelievable lateral attempt to Hines.... That was one of those plays that I stomped around the house for a good 15 minutes.... Fuckers....

Defense (as a whole) - D+.... Most of the game, Brady could've grabbed a hot dog and a beer and still had time to throw.... They had a few sacks, but it's obvious that the Pats have learned the way to beat the Steelers, just like Rich Gannon used to do, which is, dink pass them to death.... They put a RB out in the flat for a LB to cover, which he can't do, and a 5 yard dink pass turns into a 20 yard gain.... That's how they set up the winning FG....

Coaching staff - D-.... Memo to Coach Caaaaawher: When your QB is getting heat on him every play, COUNTER IT !!!! Judas Priest, how about a fucking screen pass, quick slant, or draw play !!!!! Also, what the fuck was going on not calling a T.O. with a minute to go ??? Why would you just let the play clock run down to let him kick the FG ???

Overall, it's not all doom and gloom, but they certainly didn't deserve to win that game....

Va Beach VH Fan
09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

September 26, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A clock error added 52 seconds to the fourth quarter of the Patriots-Steelers game Sunday. The extra time aided the Patriots during a winning drive that ended with Adam Vinatieri's 43-yard field goal with 1 second remaining.

I've been watching this being talked about for a couple of hours now, and although the actual error is fucked up, to me it doesn't that much...

The Steelers got outplayed and deserved to lose, plain and simple...

Dave's PA Rental
09-26-2005, 09:01 PM

September 26, 2005

The Patriots won 23-20, their fourth victory against the Steelers in five games since 2001, including AFC championship game victories during the 2001 and 2004 seasons.

The NFL acknowledged the mistake Monday, with director of officiating Mike Pereira issuing a statement: ``The on-field officiating crew, which oversees the official game clock operated in the press box, failed to recognize that the clock was improperly reset.''

The mistake occurred after the second play of the fourth quarter, a reverse by Steelers wide receiver Cedrick Wilson for no gain on second-and-10 from the Pittsburgh 30 with the Steelers ahead 13-10.

There were 14 minutes, 51 seconds remaining when the play started and, by the time, a false start penalty was called on Steelers guard Kendall Simmons, the Heinz Field clock had run down to 13:59.

But before the next play started, the clock reverted back to 14:51 -- the time left before the Wilson run. Ben Roethlisberger's incompletion on third-and-15 lasted 14 seconds and Chris Gardocki's 51-yard punt took up 10 seconds, meaning the Patriots got the ball back with 14:19 remaining in the game rather than 13:27 if the error hadn't occurred.

According to former NFL official Chuck Heberling, who observes the officials in a league-appointed capacity, an NFL employee in New York spotted the error and immediately called officials supervisor Johnny Grier. Grier was sitting with Heberling in the press box.

``We checked it out with the statisticians and, according to his records, everything seemed to be all right,'' Heberling said. As a result, no move was made to try to correct the error.

The mistake showed up when the officiating crew, headed by referee Bill Carollo, reviewed the CBS game tape with Grier and Heberling during their usual post-game meeting in a Pittsburgh hotel.

``When we ran the tape, it was obvious it (the clock) was jumping,'' Heberling said.

The clock operators -- there are two, one for the game clock and the other for the play clock -- are locally based but hired by the league. The Steelers did not identify them, and they are not listed with the other officials on the league's statistical report.

``It's a very unusual thing,'' Heberling said.

The mistake caused the final quarter to last 15 minutes, 52 seconds, extra time that proved invaluable to New England after the Steelers tied it at 20 on Roethlisberger's 4-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward with 1:21 remaining.

After New England got the ball at its 38, Tom Brady needed only 31 seconds to complete passes of 17, 14 and 6 yards to set up Vinatieri's third field goal of the game. Forty-five seconds ran off between the time Brady found David Givens for 6 yards to the Steelers 25 and Vinatieri kicked the decisive field goal.

Steelers president Dan Rooney was unaware of the mistake until being alerted Monday by reporters.

``There's nothing to say. The game's over,'' Rooney said. ``It's not going to change the score.''

Boo-friggin-hoo...

Aided the Pats? That's like Colts fans saying the snow in Foxboro aids the Patriots...BOTH TEAMS PLAY IN THE SNOW!!! BOTH TEAMS had no idea of the mistake. Both teams were calling plays that they thought were the appropriate calls to make with the time remaining on the clock.

Go ahead crybabies...glob onto ANYTHING that will make you feel like your team got jipped, instead of being beaten by a better team...Let me guess, Randal-El tried to make that rediculous lateral because he thought there was 52 seconds LESS on the clock...

Whatever...

Dave's PA Rental
09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I made my post before I read your responses Va Beach...I know you arent a crybaby...

Dave's PA Rental
09-26-2005, 09:05 PM
How about some props for the kicker, too? He has been quoted as saying he likes it when the opposing coach tries to ice him...it lets him check the spot he is kicking from, line up the kick, etc...

Va Beach VH Fan
09-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
How about some props for the kicker, too? He has been quoted as saying he likes it when the opposing coach tries to ice him...it lets him check the spot he is kicking from, line up the kick, etc...

Oh, fuck him too.... ;)

Nah, gotta be honest, the guy is money....

POJO_Risin
09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Pittsburgh played like ass...

I concur with everything everyone said here...

and we only lost by 3...at the buzzer...

of course...we didn't lose Harrison....and someone else in that game...

but I don't know what the fuck it's going to take to get Cowher to do some things differently...but you'd think not making it to the Supe, and getting your ass handed to you by NE at home every playoff would do something to jog the head...but no...

it's fucking frustrating...but what can you do...

tjvhou812
09-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Pittsburgh played like ass...

I concur with everything everyone said here...

and we only lost by 3...at the buzzer...

of course...we didn't lose Harrison....and someone else in that game...

but I don't know what the fuck it's going to take to get Cowher to do some things differently...but you'd think not making it to the Supe, and getting your ass handed to you by NE at home every playoff would do something to jog the head...but no...

it's fucking frustrating...but what can you do...

Hey....Cowboys:)

Rikk
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Alright...and this should be an even more interesting game than the last one...

ODShowtime
10-10-2005, 09:06 PM
this is making me nervous

Rikk
10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
See that? That's fucking bullshit. These are some sick calls...

Rikk
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Very, very sloppy...echoes of AFC Championship...

Rikk
10-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Awesome.

Rikk
10-10-2005, 09:59 PM
'Bout fuckin' time.

ODShowtime
10-10-2005, 10:52 PM
god damn flags, I guess they're helping overall though

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Pittsburgh is going to hand it to these fucking flaming blue faggots...

Rikk
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
god damn flags, I guess they're helping overall though

Overall yes...but this is indeed a flag-happy game. Couple of really stupid calls.

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:00 PM
These fucking refs spend to much time in the goddamned locker room circle-jerking...

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:05 PM
opportunities...opportunites...

fuck the Chargers...the fucking Steelers are about to fucking bank this game...

fucking Conference my ass...

they're just touchin' each other nice...

faggots...

if that isn't called a fumble...

I'm driving my drunk ass to San Diego...

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:06 PM
That's horseshit...

absolutely fucking horseshit...

he muffed the ball?????

FUCK THAT...THE FUCKING BALL BOUNCED A FUCKING YARD IN FRONT OF HIM...FUCK THAT YOU COCKSUCKING FAGGOTS!!!

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
See you guys from jail...

these fucking refs need their asses kicked...

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:08 PM
and another flag...

these refs suck diarreah ass...

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:09 PM
That was a fucking fumble...faggot ass refs...they suck donkey hog...

what a bunch of bullshit...

Rikk
10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
No shit. This game is full of bullshit flags. They even called one bullshit one to outdo the legitimate Chargers flag. Fuckers.

POJO_Risin
10-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I rarely fucking say shit about refs calls...but these guy look like a gaggle of faggles...

Rikk
10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
This is much too close, but I think we'll get it...

Rikk
10-11-2005, 12:26 AM
What a pisser.

At least the kick was good...

ODShowtime
10-11-2005, 05:55 PM
man I'm still recovering. I had exactly 5 seconds without stress after Randle El caught that last pass and before the camera went back to Ben. At least he'll be ok :D

Ah yes, PSU and Pittsburgh looking solid. Eagles in the crapper. Life is good.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, it could have been much worse...

I have to admit (this is my Dr. VA impression ;) ), when I first saw it in slo-mo, I told myself that it looked more like a hyperextension, rather than a ACL tear, because he hit the knee straight on rather than on an angle...

Good win on the road, although as Pojo said earlier last night, the Steelers CONTINUALLY give the opponents an easy touchdown in the prevent defense, and could have easily given that game away....

We'll see how things shape up for the home game on Sunday vs. the Jags....

Dave's PA Rental
10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
See you guys from jail...

My GOD that's funny! I've felt that way before too...

POJO_Risin
10-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Well...I saw it Va...and said...I'm just starting to like him...and look...his leg is broken into 8 pieces...

lmfao...

and realize this...about 10 minutes earlier...they showed a commercial with old NFL clips with players getting leveled...and Cliff Stoudt was shown throwing a fucking bomb...

and I swear to christ...I looked over at my wife and said...

Something bad's going to happen...

she said why...

lmfao...and I said Stoudt...

My wife fell asleep...and Ben got hurt...and I'm screaming at the fucking TV...my wife wakes up...sees the hit...and says..."What Happened..."

I said...

Stoudt...

lmfao...

figures...Stoudt couldn't even get a leg shatter right...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-12-2005, 08:26 PM
"Instant Karma's going to get you"....

Gotta love the Lennon reference....

Watched clips of Ben at practice today, didn't have too much of a limp at all...

But all of a sudden Tommy's feeling much better (what a shocker), and he and Charlie are pretty much splitting up snaps at practice....

I bet Tommy will get the start, the Jags have a pretty aggressive defense....

POJO_Risin
10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Didn't they already announce Bitch as the starter?

I wouldn't doubt Maddox gets the start...maybe they can deal him...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-12-2005, 08:58 PM
No, I haven't seen anything announcing that....

POJO_Risin
10-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't really know what's going to happen next week...

just glad the "savior" isn't walking on a leg in 8 parts...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Pitiful, just pitiful....

POJO_Risin
10-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Nothing more needs to be said about that...when we are on the road in the playoffs...

we can thank this bullshit loss for it...

Maddox should be cut...

Rikk
10-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Another game I couldn't watch (fucking Detroit television). Just saw highlights.

What can I say? This was bound to be a shaky game...

POJO_Risin
10-16-2005, 06:08 PM
No excuse...these are the games you need to win to be a GREAT team...

Rikk
10-16-2005, 06:13 PM
I still think the Steelers (with the "savior") haven't reached full potential. I truly see them as a team that was down for a few seasons and is now on the road UP. In no way do I have full confidence in them as a team yet...but they'd better never get rid of Cowher.

Still, even with what happened on Monday, this shouldn't have been the result it was.

POJO_Risin
10-16-2005, 06:16 PM
well...they need WARD for sure...WARD without Ben...makes a HUGE difference...

but they are missing some parts...right now...and I think you start with a receiving partner for WARD...

and we could start on that D...but it pisses me off to much...

ALinChainz
10-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Maddox seemed to throw the same INT each time.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
but they'd better never get rid of Cowher.

Let's not get carried away....

But I do think after that second pick, then the next shitty series, that Batch should have gotten the call...

It's night and day watching Maddox's lack of mobility compared to Ben's....

Also, when Parker fumbled in OT, they should have just QB sneaked the ball toward the middle of the field to set up Reed....

POJO_Risin
10-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Maddox used to do that when he had a cannon...

he throws that damn out to the sideline...I swear to christ...90% of his picks are the same damn thing...

I'd love to know how many picks that he's had that have been returned for td's...or at the very least...30 yards or more...

ALinChainz
10-16-2005, 06:58 PM
I thought he would have been a little more cautious in overtime after throwing a similar pick in regulation.

Ben is back next game.

POJO_Risin
10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Maddox has no idea how to be cautious...

he's a gunner...

which is why he's no good...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-16-2005, 08:28 PM
If I were a betting man, I don't care what the point spread is for next week's game at Cincy, they're going to beat the shit out of Chad shittalker and the Bungles...

That's going to be one pissed off group of Steelers.....

POJO_Risin
10-16-2005, 10:52 PM
They better...or this could be one long ass season...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
If I were a betting man, I don't care what the point spread is for next week's game at Cincy, they're going to beat the shit out of Chad shittalker and the Bungles...

That's going to be one pissed off group of Steelers.....

Dear Cincinnati Bungles,

Welcome back down to reality...

Sincerely,

The Pittsburgh Steelers

POJO_Risin
10-23-2005, 04:34 PM
lmfao...

that might be your best post ever...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-23-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't know if that's a compliment or not... ;)

POJO_Risin
10-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Simple...

concise...

and funny...

all wrapped up in a neat little bow...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-24-2005, 09:34 AM
I really like how Heath Miller is evolving....

The number of weapons being spread out is making the Steelers offense tough to stop...

Let's just forget about the Jags game, that was an abberation....

Next game: Monday night at home vs. the Ravens...

Oh how lovely it's going to be to watch that blowout....

Hey, didn't you used to be Ray Lewis ????

;)

POJO_Risin
10-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Yeah...he's made a huge difference...no doubt about it...

and a bit of a surprise...and funny...NOBODY is talking about him...

That will add a cog...

now I'd feel better if they'd find a way to get Cedrick Wilson more involved...

spread it a bit...and watch the 3 back monster kill teams...

ALinChainz
10-26-2005, 08:51 PM
They ought to do something with Wilson and Quincy Morgan.

A little 3 and 4 wide once in awhile.

POJO_Risin
10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Quincy Morgan is a large whore...

I wouldn't waste shitting on the guy...

I've never seen a guy drop more passes in my life...

he's had something like 10 thrown his way...and dropped about 12...

POJO_Risin
10-26-2005, 08:54 PM
I would fucking love to see 4 wide though...

there isn't a team in the league that would know what the fuck to do if the Steelers dropped into a 4 wide set...lmfao...

ALinChainz
10-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Now now ... that's some quality receiver you're talking there ...

:D

ALinChainz
10-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Besides ... I only suggested LINING UP in it ... not actually THROWING it to him ... lol

POJO_Risin
10-26-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't know if you saw my last post...

I agree...if they lined up in it...just once...it would send every fucking Defense in the league into a fucking frenzy...

ALinChainz
10-26-2005, 09:02 PM
And I don't think Sean Morey or Nate Washington would lead anyone to believe they would actually throw it either.

I didn't see it bro, but I agree with you. And I think it would loosen shit up a touch. Hell, I'd like to see Ben in the shotgun with 3 or 4 wide, maybe Heath in the slot.

POJO_Risin
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Morgan has all the talent in the world...good size...good speed...

and hands that make stone look soft...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 08:33 PM
No Lewis, no Reed on the Ravens' Defense....

This could get ugly quickly....

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 08:39 PM
I saw that...I can wait to fucking flatten the fucking pieces of shit...

how quick before Wright gets knocked out of the game...and Kordell comes in?

Just think of what Kordell could have been had that fucking piece of shit kept his piehole shut after '95...

What a dickhead...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Billick is saying he's trying to have Boller be the #2 QB....

I think he knows how Kordell would get lambasted back in the 'Burgh....

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:05 PM
that's fine...if Boller gets in...we'll see Kordell shortly thereafter...;)

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't know why...but I like this team better than last year's team...

Va Beach VH Fan
10-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree with ya Poj, this team is dangerous...

Miller makes it awful hard to stop them on offense...

I really like how the young CB's are looking in pass coverage....

Polamalu is headhunting all over the place....

The real test is going to be the Monday night game at Indy in November....

POJO_Risin
10-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Rarely Va...Rarely do I feel good about the Steelers...

and I have absolutely no reason to feel that good about this team when last year's team went fucking 15-1...

but damn it...Ben has a bit more Moxie this year...and I think...he's figured out that he doesn't have to make ANY bad passes...he can live with 90 yards in a game and still win...as long as the 90 yards are in the right places...

I do believe it's the defense...I do believe for the first time...I see corners that will IMPROVE...instead of suck all year...you know what I mean?

They get toasty now and then....but damn if they don't look decent most of the time...and they'll only improve. Polamalu is the best defensive back in the game...period...

and if the line starts pressing the opposing QB's a bit more...it will make the Steeler's LB all the more effective...

I never believed they were a Super Bowl team last year...and forced myself to say it before the NE game...

this year?

I think they are a Super Bowl team. Indy may be better than them...

but when it's all said and done?...our D...will last longer than their D...

and if we can force those fuckers to come to our place if we get that far...well...it could be damn fucking interesting...

and you know what...I don't mind so much losing to them on Monday night...as long as it's close...and as long as homefield is already clinched for INDY...lmfao...

ODShowtime
10-31-2005, 08:49 PM
time for an All-American ass-beating tonight!

I think Ben will really be lighting it up tonight. Breakout!

POJO_Risin
10-31-2005, 10:39 PM
They are playing like the crippled blind...

this is what frustrates me...the Steelers that beat the Bengals were a team to be reckoned with...

the team tonight?

very...very beatable...

Rikk
11-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Too fucking close. This is not the season it should be. The stats aren't even telling the true story...

POJO_Risin
11-01-2005, 12:22 AM
I still say this team...at it's best...is better than last year's team...

again...not sure why I think that...

but I do...

Rikk
11-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Really??

I'm not sure why you say that. But I'd be interested to hear why.

I did get the sense that last year's team had so many great elements that didn't quite gel...and by the playoffs this was proven again and again.

This year...I don't see them as much better...but they're more aware of their mortality.

This is a great football team...but there is no way I believe they've reached their full potential...

ODShowtime
whew that was close! I was wrong about really lighting them up. oh well. We win. :D

tjvhou812
This the best the Ravens played all season

Rikk
11-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
This the best the Ravens played all season

They almost had it.

I had this weird feeling that the Steelers were gonna fuck up the field goal. I don't know why.

Good thing my intuition was wrong.

tjvhou812
11-01-2005, 12:28 AM
They almost had it.

I had this weird feeling that the Steelers were gonna fuck up the field goal. I don't know why.

Good thing my intuition was wrong.

I was saying the same thing bro

POJO_Risin
11-01-2005, 12:32 AM
The difference this year is Roeth...he makes far less mistakes...is tougher...and isn't just riding a wave...

he's legitimate...can't really say it more than that...

last year...he really didn't play well much after the Philly game...

this year...high percentage...good in the clutch...not many picks...

He's just a different QB...

I think if you look through this thread during last year...you'll see my pessimism for this team...

this year?

I really think they turn it on for the teams they need to turn it on for...

the big game for me right now...is that Indy game on monday night in November...

I think it's in Indy...and will guage where this team is...

tjvhou812
11-01-2005, 12:34 AM
indy seems to be the elite in the afc....

but have they really been tested by a good team yet

POJO_Risin
11-01-2005, 12:34 AM
They lost to NE...and they played like shit...and lost to a late field goal...

They lost with Maddox at the helm...and My belly button lint is as good as Maddox...

their D is not prone to the big play...

and is getting better...

their O is capable of 8 minute drives...there's lots and lots of things I see coming together for this team...

even Morgan...and El...are turning into decent options...

but the big think on O past Roeth is fucking Miller...maybe...just maybe the best rookie drafted so far this year...

POJO_Risin
11-01-2005, 12:35 AM
NO tj...but like Pittsburgh...they seem to be trying to carve out a niche of ball control...

we shall see...

tjvhou812
11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
i really think the afc is up for grabs...

i dont think denver or indy is as good as their records state

Rikk
11-01-2005, 12:38 AM
What you're saying, POJ, is what I've been thinking about "mortality". They definitely know their own mortality this year. They didn't have that sense last year. That's what causes Roeth to not fuck up the way he did at crucial moments last year. And this year, the pressure definitely seems stronger. A lot of big enemies this year. Last year, they felt unstoppable and weren't ready when the walls came tumbling down.

But you're right...the same pattern could occur again with Indy...

Rikk
11-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
i dont think denver or indy is as good as their records state

I think Indy is...

Denver...no way. They played like shit so many times yesterday. That score didn't reflect their playing...

tjvhou812
11-01-2005, 12:44 AM
I think Indy is...

Denver...no way. They played like shit so many times yesterday. That score didn't reflect their playing...

If indy can stick it to the pats, then i would agree....

but they really havnt been tested yet

POJO_Risin
11-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Indy is for real...there's no doubt...they'll prove it next week when they hammer the fuck out of NE...

The D is vastly improved...Edge is a machine...can't be stopped...the O is as good as it was last year...when it wants to be...very effective...

Denver is dangerous...built like Pittsburgh...good running game...

if Plummer doesn't make mistakes...it's a well coached team...

they can lay an egg...

but...that being said...

they are as good as they seem to be...

and as far as "looking like shit yesterday..."

they looked like shit all the way to a 49 point showing...and blew the fuck out of last years NFC Championship team...McNabb got pummelled by that front 7...

and they were up 28 points...how do they not have a let down?

they controlled the first half...and the fourth quarter...what more can you ask...

I don't think it has to do with "mortality" Rikk...I think they felt their mortality last year...which is why they lost...worried about it to much...and didn't have the horses in the defensive secondary to do it...

This year...they do...and they are a vastly wiser team...in particular with Ben...with Bettis and Parker...and eventually Staley...

WARD...

the Line is better...

and Miller...

they just are built MORE like a Steeler team...and Ben is relaxed...plays through beat downs...

they are just a better team...IMO...

last year's 15-1 was impressive...but shocking...

this year?

12-4...is fine by me...I don't even care about homefield...

I just want them in...and not the favorites...

no weight on the shoulders...

I want them walking into Indy...with everyone saying..."They can't beat this team..."

cuz they will...

tjvhou812
11-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Indy is for real...there's no doubt...they'll prove it next week when they hammer the fuck out of NE...

The D is vastly improved...Edge is a machine...can't be stopped...the O is as good as it was last year...when it wants to be...very effective...

Denver is dangerous...built like Pittsburgh...good running game...

if Plummer doesn't make mistakes...it's a well coached team...

they can lay an egg...

but...that being said...

they are as good as they seem to be...

and as far as "looking like shit yesterday..."

they looked like shit all the way to a 49 point showing...and blew the fuck out of last years NFC Championship team...McNabb got pummelled by that front 7...

and they were up 28 points...how do they not have a let down?

they controlled the first half...and the fourth quarter...what more can you ask...

I don't think it has to do with "mortality" Rikk...I think they felt their mortality last year...which is why they lost...worried about it to much...and didn't have the horses in the defensive secondary to do it...

This year...they do...and they are a vastly wiser team...in particular with Ben...with Bettis and Parker...and eventually Staley...

WARD...

the Line is better...

and Miller...

they just are built MORE like a Steeler team...and Ben is relaxed...plays through beat downs...

they are just a better team...IMO...

last year's 15-1 was impressive...but shocking...

this year?

12-4...is fine by me...I don't even care about homefield...

I just want them in...and not the favorites...

no weight on the shoulders...

I want them walking into Indy...with everyone saying..."They can't beat this team..."

cuz they will...

i can sum this up in a couple of words

DALLAS COWBOYS

tjvhou812
11-01-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm out...catch you guys on the flip

ALinChainz
11-03-2005, 07:14 PM
The Steelers will be going with Charlie Batch this week.

My condolences.

POJO_Risin
11-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Dude...anyone...ANYONE...is better than Tommy Maddox...

anyone...

that is all...

POJO_Risin
11-03-2005, 07:21 PM
and...lmfao...Al...if there was a playing field for Maddox...Batch...Harrington and Garcia...

I hate to say it...

but they'd all be playing in the same place...shitsville...

those are the breaks...I'd rather Ben be healthy and miss two weeks...than have to deal with Batch and Maddox for the duration...

that would force me to commit suicide...

ALinChainz
11-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Glad it's Green Bay ... struggling, woeful Packers ...

And Harrington back in the saddle for the trip to Minny ...

"INTs are in the air ... everywhere I look around ... "

POJO_Risin
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
You know though...it's just the kind of game that Pittsburgh could lose...

In Green Bay...Favray throwing like the gunslinger he is...nothing to lose...trying to prove a point...

and the Batch/Maddox show...

enough to make me want to puke all over myself...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-03-2005, 09:36 PM
It's definitely a game they could lose....

But I'm comparing it to the Buffalo game last year, where they basically played their scrubs and still whooped 'em...

I think their focus will be there, and the defense will be sharp....

ALinChainz
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
It's definitely a game they could lose....

But I'm comparing it to the Buffalo game last year, where they basically played their scrubs and still whooped 'em...

I think their focus will be there, and the defense will be sharp....

Yeah but ... Charlie Batch ...

Charlie Fucking Batch ...

The defense will have to be sharp ... because they will be the offense too ...

Here's to the Steeler running game ...

HELLVIS
11-04-2005, 12:21 AM
The difference this year is Roeth...he makes far less mistakes...is tougher...and isn't just riding a wave...

he's legitimate...can't really say it more than that...

last year...he really didn't play well much after the Philly game...

this year...high percentage...good in the clutch...not many picks...

He's just a different QB...

I think if you look through this thread during last year...you'll see my pessimism for this team...

I think if you look back at my posts from this time last year, you'll see that I knew Big Ben was for real, and was just going to get better.

Hell, his poise in the forth quarter ( especially the last drive ) against the Ravens speaks volumes.

HELLVIS
11-04-2005, 12:30 AM
One of my friends was crying about owing me money ( thanks to the Steelers ), and he was going on about how they got lucky and how much they suck. So, I politely reminded him ( as I will anyone ) that a great team isn't measured by how it wins when it performs at it's best, but by how it finds a way to win when it's NOT performing at it's best.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah but ... Charlie Batch ...

Charlie Fucking Batch ...

The defense will have to be sharp ... because they will be the offense too ...

Here's to the Steeler running game ...

I'm tellin' ya Al...

This team LOVES to play in adversity, especially on the road....

Charlie's gonna do just enough to get the job done...

No Bettis, no biggie, throw Duce in there, he's been ready for 3 weeks...

I see the defense having a big game...

POJO_Risin
11-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Yo VA...did you watch the Steelers against Jax?

Don't get me wrong here...

but that Jax game was just fucking horrible...

POJO_Risin
11-04-2005, 08:20 PM
And Hellvis...

Nobody doubted Ben's ability down the road...

I doubted his ability to win the big game last year...due to his rookietude...

ALinChainz
11-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I applaud the optimism, I do.

I'm a diehard Lions fan and have been since the mid 70's ...

But Charlie Batch ... I wouldn't be surprised to see him yanked for Tommy in the 2nd half ... unless Maddox is hurt.

POJO_Risin
11-04-2005, 08:27 PM
No way...Batch is better than Maddox...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Yo VA...did you watch the Steelers against Jax?

Don't get me wrong here...

but that Jax game was just fucking horrible...

You missed my point, senor Risin...

You know as well as I do, the Steelers playing at home are just too damn complacent...

Their collective heads get too big, they read the papers, they watch all of the "experts" telling them how they should beat the other team by 2 touchdowns...

The Jags game and the Ravens game are perfect examples, not to mention all 4 of the AFC Championship games lost at home in the last 10 years...

On the road though, they thrive off of the crowd.... It's obvious, to me anyway, that they have way more focus.....

POJO_Risin
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
I won't disagree with that...

HELLVIS
11-04-2005, 09:23 PM
And Hellvis...

Nobody doubted Ben's ability down the road...

I doubted his ability to win the big game last year...due to his rookietude...

Fair enough.

POJO_Risin
11-04-2005, 09:25 PM
There's to much fucking agreein' goin' on here...

HELLVIS
11-05-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't think so!

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I kinda like the concept that those Detroit bastards did.... ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Outstanding message the front office sends....

Now hopefully those bastard can sign a couple of bats...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05322/608523.stm

Pirates intend to use Bay as franchise's cornerstone
Friday, November 18, 2005

By Paul Meyer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie of the Year. Making the All-Star team. His first .300 season. And now a lucrative multiyear contract.

What's next for Jason Bay?

Maybe an at-bat in the All-Star Game next season at PNC Park.

"Obviously, you want to play," the Pirates left fielder said. "But with the game being in Pittsburgh, it would mean a little more."

If it seems Houston's Phil Garner, who will manage the National League All-Star team next season, won't get Bay into the game, Bay could simply buy himself an at-bat in that game.

He certainly has the means to do that after yesterday agreeing to a four-year, $18.25 million contract with the Pirates that buys out all three of his salary arbitration years.

Bay, who made $355,000 in 2005, wouldn't have been eligible for salary arbitration until after the '06 season because he doesn't have three years of major-league service time.

That's a moot point now -- after the Pirates made a point.

"We're serious about keeping our young players here," owner Kevin McClatchy said. "That's one thing we said we have to do. We have to develop players and we have to keep the right ones.

"We went through this dance before, and, when we went through this dance before, we had a lot of bad long-term contracts that we couldn't get out of at that time. We don't have those around us now. It's a different landscape.

"I think Jason's popular with the fans, and he represents the team extremely well. He's very polished and very genuine. He's one of the most humble, down to earth players I've been around. He's a terrific guy. We need to keep players like Jason Bay.

"I think he'll be a terrific ambassador for Canada and a terrific ambassador for the Pittsburgh Pirates. We're looking forward to building around him."

Bay, from Trail, British Columbia, became the first Rookie of the Year from the Pirates in balloting done by the Baseball Writers Association of America in 2004. In '05, he batted .306, with 44 doubles, 6 triples, 32 home runs, 101 RBIs and 110 runs scored.

And he started each of the Pirates' 162 games -- the first Pirate to do that since Johnny Ray in 1982.

"First and foremost, you attempt to sign a guy based on his performance on the field," general manager Dave Littlefield said. "Jason had an outstanding first year, and his second year was improved.

"He plays every day, which is an underrated attribute in this day and age. And the guy is a mature, responsible guy who I have a lot of faith in. He's done spectacular since he came to the big leagues. And I feel very confident that will continue throughout his career."

Bay's agent, Joe Urbon and the Pirates negotiated the contract over the past two-plus months. A major sticking point for a while was a fifth year, which would buy out Bay's first year of free agency. The Pirates wanted that year to be at their option. Urbon wanted that fifth year at guaranteed money.

"We did not want to give away, if you will, that free agent year and make it an option year," Urbon said. "Frankly, that took a bulk of the time to come to an agreement on whether it would be a four- or five-year deal. Once we got to a four-year deal, it actually moved on pretty quickly over the last couple weeks."

"That's a real big year for any baseball player -- your first year of free agency," Bay said. "That's your first chance to kind of look around. You really can't put a price on that."

Bay can become a free agent after the 2009 season. Can he envision staying with the Pirates at that point?

"You never know where the team is going to be and where the market is going to be," Bay said. "If we get there and we're where we want to be and we're doing well, I have no problem staying."

Bay, who plans to work out an agreement with the Pirates that will contribute some of his money to charity, was a little surprised he got this contract after only two-plus seasons with the Pirates.

"The Pirates have been burned in the past by some contracts that didn't pan out, and they were probably a little more apprehensive than some teams to do this," Bay said. "I think that's why I'm so grateful -- to know this is the first long-term deal that's been done by the Pirates in quite a few years.

"They didn't have to do anything, but I think the way I was going gave them the confidence that, hopefully, I was going to get better and that, in the long run, it was going to be a little bit cheaper.

"I still don't really fully comprehend it. We've been talking about it for two-odd months. After a while, you lose sight of the magnitude. You talk about it like you're talking about Monopoly money.

"But sitting on the plane on the way to Pittsburgh thinking about it, I think that's when it hit me that this is really happening. This wasn't just talk anymore, and it wasn't happening to somebody else. You see it on the news all the time, somebody getting a contract, and you think, 'Oh, that's nice.'

"I've had a tough time sleeping the last two nights and now that this day's actually here, it's a very emotional day for me and I'm extremely, extremely happy.

"It's one of the best days of my life -- wedding aside," Bay said, nodding to his wife, Kristen.

Bay was home in Trail last weekend attending the wedding of Steve Kuffner, a fifth-grade teacher who has been one of Bay's best friends since grade school.

"I saw all my friends, and they were drilling me with contract questions," Bay said. "I kind of gave them some hints -- you know like 'Watch the news.'

"I like hanging out with those guys. It was fun. To do that -- see all my buddies -- and then fly here and do this, it's been a heck of a week."

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 11:53 AM
I haven't looked forward to a hockey game like this for a long time... This should be one chippy motherfucking game....

Maybe not necessarily revenge after Hatcher for what he did to Crosby Wednesday night, when he chipped two of his teeth and four stitches in his lip, but maybe after one of their young starts, like Gagne or Carter....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05323/609221.stm

Bite is back in reheated rivalry

Crosby's performance Wednesday in Philadelphia, Flyers' reaction to it puts teeth into game here tonight

Saturday, November 19, 2005

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quite an athlete, this young Sidney Crosby.

With 24 points in his first 20 NHL games, he seems to have a reasonably good handle on the whole ice hockey thing.

Turns out he also was a pretty decent baseball player while growing up in Nova Scotia.

And, in the considered opinion of the Philadelphia Flyers -- who will visit Mellon Arena tonight at 7:38 -- and some media members from the far side of the Commonwealth, Crosby is a world-class diver, too.

Of course, based on the broken teeth and gashed lip he had in the wake of the Penguins' 3-2 overtime victory in Philadelphia Wednesday, Crosby apparently has been doing it out of third-story windows.

But while it has gone unmentioned in southeastern Pennsylvania that Crosby came out of that game with three damaged teeth and four stitches in his lip -- all courtesy of one of two high sticks he got from Flyers defenseman Derian Hatcher -- there has been plenty of ink devoted to his purported fondness for diving.

And even though Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock didn't have a byline on any of the stories, virtually every Penguins official and player -- including some who have played for Hitchcock -- said they immediately detected his fingerprints all over the Philadelphia take on Crosby.

Not, mind you, that Hitchcock has made any overt accusations. Indeed, when asked by Philadelphia-area reporters Thursday about Crosby diving, he said, "No comment." Pressed on why he wouldn't respond, Hitchcock said, "Well, because Christmas is coming up, and you've got to buy presents."

The transparent message was that Hitchcock would be fined by the league if he spoke candidly. Whether that hypothetical fine would have exceeded the cost of the dental repairs Crosby had to get the same day is hard to say.

Some Penguins players were enraged by Hitchcock's remark, while others seemed almost amused. None contradicted the six-word response coach Eddie Olczyk gave yesterday when asked if Crosby dives: "Absolutely not. Absolutely not. Absolutely not."

Newspapers in Philadelphia and the surrounding area see it differently, however. Some excepts from yesterday's editions:

Philadelphia Inquirer -- "[Crosby] appeared to take several dives" and "it's conceivable that Crosby could be fined for his aerodynamics."

Bucks County Courier Times -- "Sidney Crosby may become a superstar someday, but he's already a super diver" and "The Pitt kid has shown he knows how to draw whistles by falling over at the slightest contact ..."

Delaware County Times -- "Wunderkind Sidney Crosby ... dove at least three times" and "was whistled for it once and started mouthing off to the refs."

Apparently it's gone unnoticed in Delaware County that "diving" is treated as a distinct violation by the NHL -- it is covered by Rule 52 -- and is announced as such when a referee calls it. Crosby's penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct was assessed after he complained about a non-call on one of Hatcher's high sticks.

The Delaware County Times story also said Penguins winger Mark Recchi "made a living" by diving. Whether putting up 463 goals and 757 assists has had something to do with his longevity isn't mentioned.

It would seem that the Flyers' intent is to get inside Crosby's head, or at least under his skin. It would also seem that the chances of success aren't terribly good because, just a quarter-season into his pro career, Crosby has shown a knack for transforming anger into even greater focus and productivity.

Witness the game in Philadelphia, when he put up two goals and an assist -- one point for each of the teeth Hatcher damaged -- in a span of 22 minutes, 10 seconds after getting clubbed in the head a couple of times.

"When he gets mad, he plays better," Penguins center Mario Lemieux said. "That's the sign of a great player. They get him mad, he's going to show them that he can win the game by himself. That's what he did last game."

Crosby said that channeling his anger that way is the best way to deal with it -- "For me, that's the most productive way to respond," he said -- and keeping their emotions under control will be critical for his teammates if they're to have any realistic chance of beating the Flyers again.

For while there might be a temptation to retaliate against Hatcher -- or, more logically, to target one of the Flyers' skilled players -- the Penguins cannot afford to play short-handed any more often than necessary.

"You do that, take a five-minute penalty, then they shove it right down your throat on the power play, and the game could be over," defenseman Brooks Orpik said.

Controlling their emotions might be a challenge for the Penguins. Generating them shouldn't be. With the carryover from their victory Wednesday and the Crosby controversy -- no matter how comically contrived it seems -- that's followed, coming out flat shouldn't be a danger. Or an option.

"If there isn't emotion, there is a problem," defenseman Lyle Odelein said.

"That's a game you want to play in."

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 11:56 AM
I have a feeling they may go down in this game....

The Baltimore D, for having such a bad year, may have a field day against Tommy....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05323/609252.stm

Steelers take 11-game road streak into Baltimore

It all began last year, in the second week of the 2004 season, when the Steelers went to Baltimore, fell behind, 20-0, and lost their starting quarterback to injury. The moment was significant for more reasons than the beginning Ben Roethlisberger era with the Steelers.

It also was the previous time the Steelers lost a road game.

Fourteen months later, the Steelers (7-2) go back to Baltimore with the same starting quarterback as last season, Tommy Maddox, but looking to become only the second team in National Football League history to win 12 consecutive games on the road.

It is a streak that includes comeback victories in Dallas, Jacksonville and New York Giants, impressive wins in Buffalo, San Diego and Cincinnati and sloppy victories in Miami and Green Bay.

Add 'em up, though, and it's 11 in a row, tying the Steelers with the San Diego Chargers (1960-61) and San Francisco 49ers (1987-88) for the second longest streak in league history.

"We take it as a challenge to go out on the road and win in somebody else's stadium," safety Chris Hope said. "Sometimes it's easier to do in somebody else's stadium because they're booing you, the crowd is against you, so you're paying close attention to detail and you have more of a sense of focus."

"I think we got a lot of guys who understand the game, a lot of guys who, going into those games, understand what we have to do to get ready for those kind of games," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "Just the team being together for a long time, loving to play with each other, allows us to go out and play well."

The 49ers have the longest road winning streak in history -- 18 games -- which occurred from 1988 to 1990. The Steelers will have the second-longest streak in history if they go to M&T Bank Stadium, site of last year's 30-13 loss in Week 2, and defeat the Ravens (2-7).

Winning on the road, though, isn't just a recent phenomenon for the Steelers. Since 1995, they are the winningest road team in the NFL (47-37), ahead of the Tennesse Titans (46-39).

This year, they are 4-0 on the road, a mark that includes victories at San Diego and Cincinnati. To show how difficult it is to win on the road in the NFL, only eight of the 32 teams have winning records away from home. The visiting teams are a combined 53-91 this season.

"It seems kind of normal around here for us," inside linebacker James Farrior said. "We might take it for granted because we know we're going to do that every time we go on the road."

The Steelers' success on the road is so impressive that some of the players have joked that maybe they would be better served if they played an AFC championship game on the road. The Steelers are 1-4 in AFC championship games at home under Bill Cowher.

Despite their road success during the regular season, the Steelers have never won a road playoff game under Bill Cowher (0-3).

"You look at this locker room, I've been in a lot of locker rooms and you don't see a lot that are this close and enjoy being around each other and enjoy playing together," said Maddox, who will have started three of his past five games in Baltimore when he replaces an injured Roethlisberger at 1 p.m. tomorrow. "When you go on the road, you kind of have that attitude anyway that it's us against the masses. You go in and play hard."

"I think we have been able to play with a degree of edge the last few years, recognizing we have no margin of error," Cowher said. "The challenge of playing on the road requires a greater focus. You have to match that energy because you're not going to draw it from the crowd. It's a challenge our players have been able to meet. There have been some very tough games."

Actually, the Steelers do draw some energy from the crowd at road games, primarily because the opposing stadiums are populated with Steelers fans. In San Diego, at least a quarter of the crowd of 68,537 was comprised of black-and-gold fans for a Monday night showdown. Same thing happened last year in Dallas, where games are traditionally sold out.

Even in Cincinnati, where the Bengals were 5-1 at the time, Steelers fans made up a significant portion of the crowd of 66,104.

"That's unreal to me," Farrior said.

"It truly is amazing -- the places we go and the crowds we get," Smith said.

"When I was at Florida State and we would go into an opposing stadium, it was always fun to see how by the middle of the second quarter, even at the end of the game, those same fans were cheering for you," Hope said. "It's like, 'Your stadium is sold out because they're coming to see us play.'

"With the Steelers it's the same way. We have a lot of fans all over the world and they come support us when we're in the area. Sooner or later, whether you like it or not, the fans somehow, some way, start to cheer for us. That's always one of the main attention getters when you're trying to go into a stadium and steal the crowd."

And steal a win.

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I agree Va...the Bay signing was something this club should have been doing for years...

now nail down a few more...even take some gambles on the fringe guys...

lock up 9 or 10 guys...

THAT...will not only send a message to the fans...but to free agents that this team wants to win...

call it the "Hart plan..."

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Steelers...

wow...I hadn't paid attention to the road wins...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Best news I've seen yet for the new arena, things are looking good so far...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05323/609148.stm

Authority offers land if casino builds arena

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority is offering land and development rights to any slot machine casino operator or private investor who's willing to commit to building a new arena.

Port Authority offers gaming board offices in Manchester

Port Authority officials hope the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board will put a regional office at the transit agency's former headquarters building in Manchester.
It has submitted a formal response to the board's "request for proposals" to provide 8,500 feet of office space, plus parking, on the second floor of the multistory building at Beaver and Island avenues. The authority would contribute about $250,000 toward remodeling to tailor the space to the needs of the gaming board, charged with organizing and controlling the state's legalized gambling, but the rent being sought for a five-year lease was not disclosed.
Henry Nutbrown, authority director of engineering-construction, said the gaming board also is considering space in Green Tree and in Cranberry. The Port Authority moved nearly all office functions in August 2000, relocating to the Heinz 57 Center.

SEA board members unanimously passed a resolution yesterday stating that they would make available a site in the vicinity of Mellon Arena and negotiate development rights to any "qualified group" with or without a slots license willing to make such a commitment.

Shortly after the board vote, Mayor Tom Murphy, Mayor-elect Bob O'Connor and county Chief Executive Dan Onorato issued a statement in support of the SEA's action.

"It is critical that we begin to put the pieces in place to secure the Penguins' future in Pittsburgh with a new arena," Mr. Murphy said.

"This city needs a world-class, multi-purpose arena complex," Mr. O'Connor added. "I agree that this effort will require private funding and support from the commonwealth."

The resolution was timed to coincide with the current Dec. 28 filing deadline with the state Gaming Control Board for parties interested in competing for the license for the Pittsburgh slot machine casino.

SEA Executive Director Mary Conturo said the board wanted to let all potential applicants know that it is willing to work with any of them on a replacement for the aging Mellon Arena, the oldest in the National Hockey League.

The SEA owns the Mellon Arena site, and the Penguins have a lease to play at the facility until the summer of 2007.

"We just didn't want anyone to think that anyone had any more of a favorable position than anyone else," she said.

David Morehouse, a Penguins consultant, described the statements as a "significant development" in the team's bid for a new facility.

"We're very encouraged that the SEA unanimously and Dan Onorato, Mayor Murphy and Bob O'Connor all have made keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh and building a new arena in Pittsburgh a priority," he said.

The Penguins have already indicated that they would apply for the slot machine license and dedicate gambling revenue to building a new arena near the existing one. Another potential applicant, MTR Gaming, also has pledged about $6 million a year from slots toward an arena.

Merrill Stabile, the Alco Parking Corp. president who wants to build a casino on the North Shore near PNC Park, said he has no problem with the SEA resolution.

"I think that's good. It basically opens up the option to anyone who is going for a gaming license if they contribute to the effort," he said.

Mr. Stabile said that "supporting the Sports & Exhibition Authority is an option we are seriously considering. It's up to the SEA to make decisions from there." He would not comment further, but that presumably means he would pledge a portion of slots revenues to the SEA for use as it sees fit.

The two other known potential applicants for the license are Forest City Enterprises at Station Square and Beaver County developer Charles Betters as part of a race track, residential and commercial project in Hays.

In the past, Mr. Murphy and Mr. Onorato have supported the use of slots revenue to fund a new arena. Mr. O'Connor has said it is "an option we have to explore."

Yesterday's resolution and remarks came on the heels of a report in the Kansas City Star newspaper last week that the Penguins could be a top candidate as a tenant for an arena being built there if they were to leave Pittsburgh after their lease expires.

In a separate matter yesterday, SEA board chairman Mark Schneider announced his resignation after seven years on the panel, two as chairman. John Chalovich was elected to replace him as chair. Mr. O'Connor must appoint someone to fill the vacancy.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I agree Va...the Bay signing was something this club should have been doing for years...

now nail down a few more...even take some gambles on the fringe guys...

lock up 9 or 10 guys...

THAT...will not only send a message to the fans...but to free agents that this team wants to win...

call it the "Hart plan..."

We shall see, we shall see...

They've been chirping for a year now that they'll have "money to spend" on free agents this offseason, due to the increased season tickets sales for All-Star game tickets this coming year (you really didn't think their attendance would go up after the 13th consecutive losing season)....

So, time to put up, or get the fuck out of town... Sell the team to someone who is willing to send the money [[ See: Cuban, Mark ]]...

They unloaded a few deadbeats yesterday, Tike Redman, Bobby Hill (who I thought was a decent hitter, but underutilized by that shitty ex-manager), and Michael Restovich....

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 02:10 PM
And hey, how 'bout some Baby Pens news !!!

Tell me these fuckers ain't on a roll, 14-0-1 !!!...

I wanted to take my son down to the Scope and watch this last night, but the old lady bought tickets for them to go watch that faggot Harry Potter.... Oh well, they'll be back down here Dec 2 and 3....

http://www.wbspenguins.com/News/111805_Norfolk.asp

FLEURY FANTASTIC, OUELLET OUTSTANDING IN WIN

It was just two nights ago that Marc-Andre Fleury turned in one of the best perfromances by a Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender this season. His 45 saves were undoubtedly the main factor in the parent Pens taking a 3-2 overtime win in Philadelphia.

The phenominal Fleury found himself back in the American Hockey League 48 hours later, but his skills remained of an NHL caliber.

Fleury stopped 34 shots for his eighth AHL victory of the season, as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins posted a 3-1 win against the Norfolk Admirals, extending the Pens' road winning streak to 10 games overall.

The victory also saw Fleury lower his already ridiculously small goals against average to 1.44, while his save percentage moved up to .943 both the best marks in the league.

Fleury's acrobatic heroics overshadowed an impressive outing by Michel Ouellet, who picked up three points (1+2) and extended his scoring streak to 10 games.

It took nearly a full period befor the Pens opened up the most potent offense in the league, as they failed to capitalize on their first two power plays. But Matt Hussey made sure advantage number three wasn't wasted, as he pounded home a slap shot shortside on goalie Adam Munro at 15:08 of the first period to give Wilkes-Barre the lead after 20 minutes.

Period two saw the Pens and Admirals trade early power plays, but it would be at even strength where the visitors would extend their lead.

Norfolk broke in on a 2-on-1 just as a major penalty to Kenny Corupe was expiring, but Michel Ouellet got back in time to break up the advantage with a diving play. The Penguins' leading scorer then swung the puck to Stephen Dixon on the near boards, who fed a wide open Guillaume Lefebvre for a back door score at 10:45.

Ouellet wasn't done yet, though. Just two seconds after the goal, Colin Fraser was whistled for a slash and the Norfolk bench received an additional minor penalty, giving the Pens a 5-on-3 for two minutes. It took nearly all of that time, but Ouellet made it pay when he picked up a loose puck off a Colby Armstrong feed in front and deposited it easily in the back of the net at 12:38.

Daniel Carcillo missed a golden opportunity to make it 4-0 early in the third, but his backhand try in close banged off the far post in the opening seconds.

Brian Lee spoiled Fleury's shutout bid 2:51 into the third, as a Norfolk shot deflected in front of the screened netminder and hugged the inside of the left post.

The goal was of little consequence, though, as Fleury established a new season-best for saves in a game.

The Penguins and Admirals will face off for the third time this season Saturday night in Wilkes-Barre. Game time is 7:05pm.

NOTES: Ouellet passed Eric Meloche for sixth place on the Penguins' all-time points list on Friday. Ouellet now has 140 for the Penguins career to Meloche's 138...Ouellet's power play goal was the 23rd of his career, tied for fourth on the club's all-time list...Colby Armstrong moved into a tie for 10th on the all-time points list with Ross Lupaschuk (116) with his second period assist.

Michel Ouellet now has 20 points (8+12) in his past 10 games following Friday's three point effort.

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I thought Cuban was out as a potential?

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 02:13 PM
I thought Cuban was out as a potential?

They're only denying that the team is for sale NOW....

But after they finish up with the All-Star game, and get that extra cash in their pockets, there are many that say they may put the team for sale....

I don't think they'd make a bigger profit by waiting any longer....

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 02:18 PM
You'd think they could make a bigger profit now...up the price with the All-Star game this year...

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Randal El set to play some qb?

Emergency measures
Steelers' Randle El prepares to step under center
Posted: Friday November 18, 2005 3:03PM; Updated: Friday November 18, 2005 9:14PM

Antwaan Randle El has completed 12 of his 14 career NFL passes and notched a heady quarterback rating of 139.6.
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- As the offensive linemen walked into a Steelers quarterbacks meeting for a game-simulation drill, the room seemed more crowded than usual.

There was Ben Roethlisberger, injured and not expected to play Sunday in Baltimore. And backup Tommy Maddox, who will start three weeks after being No. 3 on the depth chart. And Charlie Batch, the starter last weekend who is sidelined with a broken bone in his right hand, plus practice squad QB Rod Rutherford.

But why was wide receiver Antwaan Randle El in the room?

"El broke the huddle and all the linemen turned around and looked at him, so it was pretty funny," Maddox said.

The thought of pressing a receiver into duty as an emergency quarterback might not make many NFL owners and coaches smile but, to Randle El, the idea isn't as preposterous as it might seem.

"I've got all the confidence in the world in my ability," said Randle El, an NCAA record-breaking quarterback at Indiana. "I know all the offense. It's just a different perspective when it comes to playing quarterback. It's just again getting the trust of them."

With Roethlisberger and Batch hurting, Randle El is ready to play quarterback if an in-game injury occurs, and there is some precedent for it in team history.

Tony Dungy, now the Colts' coach but then a Steelers defensive back, filled in at QB in a 1977 game against Houston with Terry Bradshaw and Mike Kruczek hurt -- making an interception but throwing two while going 3-of-8 for 43 yards. He is the only player since the NFL merger in 1970 to throw an interception and make one in the same game.

The most famous example of a position player being thrust into a quarterback's role came in 1965, when Baltimore Colts halfback Tom Matte started two important games after Johnny Unitas and Gary Cuozzo were injured.

Calling plays written on a wristband -- possibly the first such use of what now is a familiar tool for young QBs -- Matte led the Colts past the Rams to force a playoff with Green Bay for the Western Conference title. Matte nearly got the Colts into the NFL title game, only to lose to the Packers 13-10 in overtime after a disputed tying field goal by Don Chandler.

While Randle El is in his fourth season as a receiver, he still considers himself a quarterback and is annoyed when it's suggested it would be a folly for him to play QB in the NFL.

Randle El was the first QB in Division I-A history to throw for more than 6,000 yards and run for more than 3,000, totaling 11,384 yards with 86 touchdowns. Randle El was also the first major college player to throw for at least 40 touchdowns and run for 40. Missouri's Brad Smith has since accomplished both feats.

And guess which NFL player has the highest passer rating?

No, not Roethlisberger, but Randle El after throwing a 51-yard scoring pass to Hines Ward on a wide receiver option pass Sunday night against Cleveland. Randle El's last two passes have gone for touchdowns, and he also had a 43-yard run on a reverse two weeks ago in Green Bay.

Randle El has a passer rating of 158.3, the highest possible. So does San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who has completed all three of his passes this season for touchdowns.

Not that Roethlisberger thinks Randle El is a serious competitor for his job, even though Randle El took one snap from center in the Browns game.

"We've always said that if it comes down to Antwaan, oh, watch out," Roethlisberger said. "But Antwaan's one of those guys who can go out and make plays. He's probably not a guy that you're going to go, `Wow, he's a guy I could lose my job to.' But he's a guy who will go out and get it done if he has to. So it will be interesting if it comes to that -- but I hope it doesn't."

Because the cornerbacks are so fast and the NFL game so physical, Randle El said it would be impossible for a team to run the college-style option as a full-time offense -- no quarterback could stay healthy.

But given his speed and playmaking ability, Randle El thinks the Steelers' offense would be better off in his hands than those of some of the league's least-accomplished quarterbacks.

"I know coverages and can read defenses, and I'm able to make a play when it breaks down," he said. "I didn't have the best protection at Indiana, but when I had to make a play, I'd make a guy miss and throw the ball downfield -- still keep the play alive and still be able to complete the pass."

Here's another scenario: What happens if Randle El plays quarterback and he gets hurt? Is it any coincidence that fellow receiver Hines Ward also played QB at Georgia?

"If El goes down, I don't know what's going to happen," said Ward, who has taken a few snaps from center on gadget plays. "Let's not go there."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
After leading the Steelers in rushing each of the last two weeks, Duce Staley will step aside for a new starter against the Baltimore Ravens. Willie Parker, who missed Sunday night's game against the Cleveland Browns with an ankle injury, will return as the starting halfback against the Ravens -- the position he has held since the beginning of the season.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
After that 50 yard bomb that he threw on the run last week, I wouldn't mind seeing him under center for a few snaps on Sunday....

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow...check this shit out...

Motivated by making a protest more than a profit, local fans are willing to give the Ravens a home-field disadvantage Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Even the most loyal season-ticket holders are selling their seats this week to their hated division rivals in an attempt to voice their displeasure over the worst start in Ravens history.
-- Baltimore Sun

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 02:55 PM
That is pretty fucking hilarious...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Ridiculous is a pretty accurate description...

You're supposed to be a fan, in the good times AND the bad...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Here's a good shot of Sid....

POJO_Risin
11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Could his head get any bigger or uglier than that?

Va Beach VH Fan
11-19-2005, 06:15 PM
LOL, he's a hockey player alright.....

Va Beach VH Fan
11-20-2005, 07:37 PM
U
G
L
Y

That was fucking UGLY....

Quick question: Since when did Tommy Maddox get the mobility of, oh I don't know, Billy Kilmer ??

Holy shit, in retrospect, has he been the same since getting his noggin run in Tennessee a few years ago ??

But I can't lay ALL of the blame on Maddox.... O-line and Special Teams both sucked balls all day long....

Even though they had a few chances to win in in the 4th qtr. and OT, they didn't deserve to win it...

Oh well.... The Bungles are getting ready to go down, so they're still tied for the division lead....

Va Beach VH Fan
11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Whew...

OK, let me first start off by saying I gotta give Indy some props, BUT I WILL NOT JUMP ON THEIR COCKS LIKE THE MEDIA HAS, undefeated not withstanding....

I am impressed with their improvements on defense, particularly their speed....

But let's not get carried away....

Yes, the Colts outplayed the Steelers without a doubt....

However, they scored only two touchdowns, and had 4 field goals....

And let's narrow it down a little more...

After the 1st bonehead play of the game that Ike Taylor bit on the fake to Edge, their offense wasn't the juggernaut that everyone's claiming today...

Now, to the Steelers...

First of all, Caaaaaaaaawher needs to be bitch-slapped this morning...

Onside kick, down by 9, giving the Colts the ball on the Pitt 40 yard line ??

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ??

Fourth and 4, and you run a QB draw with a QB with shaky knees ??

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ??

Secondly, the offensive line is NOWHERE near the dominant force they were last year....

And I'm not even talking about the injury to Marvel Smith either....

Pro Bowlers Faneca and Hartings were getting pushed around all night long.... Simmons false starting 3 times.... Just a terrible performance...

And of course, not only does that cause Ben to run for his life all night, it fucks up the running game as well....

But having said all that, a win at home on Sunday vs. the Bungles puts the Steelers back on top in the division....

But some asses need kicked today, that's for sure....

ALinChainz
12-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Bud Carson, architect of Steel Curtain defense, dies at 75

December 7, 2005

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) -- Bud Carson, the architect of Pittsburgh's "Steel Curtain" defense who later coached the Cleveland Browns, died Wednesday. He was 75.

Carson, who had been ill with emphysema, died at his home, according to his wife's employer, TV station WWSB.

Carson was the Steelers' defensive coordinator from 1972-77, and shaped a defense led by Joe Greene, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert into one of the best in NFL history. During that time, the Steelers won three Super Bowl titles under coach Chuck Noll.

Carson then became defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams, who lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl after the 1979 season. He coached the Browns in 1989-90, posting a 11-13-1 record in 1 1/2 seasons.

Cleveland won the AFC Central in his first season, beating Buffalo 34-30 in the playoffs before losing to Denver 37-31 in the AFC championship game. He was fired the next year when the team got off to a 2-7 start.

Carson also coached Georgia Tech from 1967-71, posting a 27-27 record, including a win in the 1970 Sun Bowl.

He was a defensive back at North Carolina from 1949-51 before spending two years in the Marines.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-carson&prov=ap&type=lgns

ALinChainz
12-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Lemieux hospitalized with irregular heartbeat

December 7, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Penguins owner-player Mario Lemieux was hospitalized Wednesday for observation of an irregular heartbeat, general manager Craig Patrick said.

Lemieux will be monitored overnight in the undisclosed hospital and won't play Thursday night against the Minnesota Wild. The team said his playing status will be day to day after that.

According to Patrick, Lemieux reported having an irregular heartbeat after practice.

"We thought the best precaution was to have him enter the hospital for observation," Patrick said.

The 40-year-old Lemieux recently missed two games because of what the team described as the stomach flu, but it was not immediately known if an illness that he said lingered for days was related to his latest problem.

The Hall of Fame center has had numerous medical problems during a career that began in 1984, including a bout with Hodgkin's disease in 1993 that was partly responsible for him sitting out the 1994-95 season for medical reasons.

Lemieux also has been sidelined for long periods with back and hip problems, and he missed more than half of the Penguins' 1990-91 Stanley Cup championship season with severe lower back pain. After retiring for 3 1/2 years, he returned in December 2000 and has played since, but missed large portions of the 2001-02 and 2003-04 seasons with hip injuries.

Lemieux had seven goals and 14 assists for 21 points in 25 games this season, and recently had a four-game streak without a point that was the longest of his career.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=An46F8KT1IZ5_m242r8sV345nYcB?slug=ap-penguins-lemieuxhospitalized&prov=ap&type=lgns

Va Beach VH Fan
12-07-2005, 07:27 PM
What else can happen with this guy....

POJO_Risin
12-07-2005, 07:31 PM
I just read it and was going to post it...christ...hope it's just related to illness...and not some narrow valve...or some shit like that...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I can't believe I'm reading an article like this about the Steelers....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05344/620346.stm

Missing in action: Steelers' confidence
Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Steelers' injury report lists eight players as probable for the game tomorrow against the Chicago Bears at Heinz Field, the most prominent of whom is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, owner of the most discussed thumb since Little Jack Horner.

The list also includes only one player who has been ruled out for the Bears' game, and that's left tackle Marvel Smith, who will miss his third start in the past four games because of an ankle injury.

Not listed under any category, though, is the collective confidence of the Steelers. At best, it is fractured and considered very, very questionable after three consecutive losses.

Whether the Steelers can recapture that in a hurry and remain plausibly alive for an AFC playoff spot is tantamount to any subplot that might exist against the Bears (9-3), who have won eight games in a row and are being compared to the Steelers of 2004.

"When you look at the formula they have and the personnel they have, they have the exact same team that we had last year," said safety Troy Polamalu. "They have a rookie quarterback who they don't put too much pressure on, and they count on the running game and the defense. That's pretty much the formula we haven't had this year."

The Bears have enough confidence to overflow the banks of the Allegheny River, thanks to the league's No. 1 defense and a running game that averages 4.2 yards per carry and takes the pressure off rookie quarterback Kyle Orton, a fourth-round draft choice.

The Steelers barely have enough to fill a pothole on Second Avenue. After the 38-31 loss Sunday to Cincinnati, a defeat that dropped the Steelers two games behind the Bengals in the AFC North, center Jeff Hartings delivered the most telling statement when he said, "I don't think right now we're the most confident team." Coach Bill Cowher acknowledged as much several days later, calling confidence "a very fragile thing."

Right now, if the Steelers' mental state were any more precarious, the word "FRAGILE" would be stamped in red across their uniforms.

"I think a talented and veteran team that knows how to win, we can get it back quicker than other teams," said defensive end Aaron Smith. "We still know we're a good football team. We just haven't played that way. It's a few things here and there."

Cowher cited three areas this week as the biggest reasons for the team's three-game losing streak -- penalties, turnovers and special teams.

Not included in the laundry list of problems was the running game, which has plunged into similar dysfunction the past three games. Consider:

The Steelers have not rushed for more than 100 yards in any of the past three games, the first time they have done that since they went four weeks without rushing for more than 100 yards in 2003 -- the year their offensive line was in shambles. And you can't blame attempts for the problem.

In the past three games, the Steelers have carried 78 times for 251 yards, an average of 3.2 yards per carry.

"We're just not on the same page," said running back Willie Parker, who will start against the Bears. "Once we're on the same page, we'll be all right."

Parker is 11th in the AFC with 788 yards. His per-carry average is 4.5 yards, the same as San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson and third-best among the players who have more rushing yards.

But Parker, who had four 100-yard games in his first six starts, hasn't had a 100-yard rushing game since Oct. 23 in Cincinnati. He has 173 yards on 45 carries in the past three games, numbers that were aided by a meaningless 24-yard run with 1:32 remaining in Indianapolis.

What's more, running back Duce Staley is expected to be inactive against the Bears because the Steelers will use Verron Haynes as the third-down back. Staley has two of the three best rushing performances in the past six games (76 yards at Green Bay, 64 yards against Cleveland).

It might not get any better against the Bears, who have the NFL's No. 7 run defense and have allowed just 87.3 yards in their past three games.

"When you have success, it's easier to expect success," Cowher said. "When it's not there, it becomes more of a challenge to have that positive frame of mind and to have positive thoughts running through your head."

Even those haven't been running very well.

POJO_Risin
12-10-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm not worried about any of that shit...

nothing against Willie Parker...

but he's not exactly a confidence builder...

I think the Steelers will be fine...but it's pretty fucking obvious they need to establish the run...

They haven't rushed for 100 yards in five games...

guess which ones...

POJO_Risin
12-10-2005, 12:01 PM
I read in the article that a lot of players think Tracy is similar to Jim Leyland in mentality...

that can only be a good thing for the Pirates...

POJO_Risin
12-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Casey predicted he'd be a Pirate
Saturday, December 10, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steve Mellon, Post-Gazette
Upper St. Clair native Sean Casey was introduced as the Pirates' newest player at PNC Park yesterday. "Hopefully, we'll be able to bring winning baseball back to Pittsburgh."
Click photo for larger image.

More Pirates

Pirates make Hernandez first free-agent signing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean Casey pulled a freshly ironed Pirates jersey over his bear-like frame, tugged on his cap, looked down at the insignia and laughed.

"I feel like a little kid," he said under his breath as the cameras clicked and whirred at his introductory news conference at PNC Park.

He turned to general manager Dave Littlefield, shook his hand and said, "Thank you."

With that, the little kid from Upper St. Clair had come full circle, growing up on the sandlots of the South Hills and finally -- officially this time, rather than as a fan -- donning the jersey of his hometown team.

And it did not take long for the man nicknamed "The Mayor" to illustrate why the Pirates are so delighted to have acquired him from the Cincinnati Reds:

On the 2006 Pirates: "Hopefully, we'll be able to bring winning baseball back to Pittsburgh. We're always excited about the Steelers, obviously, and I hope we can all get excited about Pirates baseball again. Oh, it would be so exciting for this city."

On coming home to play: "My dad used to get these day-game season-ticket packages along the third-base side at Three Rivers," he said, referring to Jim Casey. "And I remember telling him, 'Dad, I'm going to be here one day. I'm going to play for the Pirates.' "

On why a prominent Carrick native was his favorite player as a youngster: "You know, you had all these different guys with those Pirates ... Barry Bonds ... Bobby Bonilla. John Wehner, man! I used to come see him just because he's from Pittsburgh. I was, like, 'Can we go see John Wehner play?' Who knows? Maybe people will come out just because a Pittsburgh boy's on the team."

On a half-hour phone conversation he had Thursday with new manager Jim Tracy: "I left that with a lot of excitement in my heart. This guy's an old-school, get-after-it type of manager, and he's going to bring something to the team that's going to be special."

On how this compared with the previous time he was at PNC Park, carried off on a stretcher Sept. 16 after being knocked unconscious by a collision with Humberto Cota: "At least Cota is my teammate now. He doesn't have to be throwing flying elbows at me."

No doubt, Casey's bat is the primary reason the Pirates look forward to having him on the roster, but his personality was no small factor, it appears.

Even Littlefield, who almost invariably shrugs when asked how much he values leadership, was moved yesterday to acknowledge how much Casey might mean to the team in that way.

"Every team can use a Sean Casey," Littlefield said. "When you talk to people around the league, they'll tell you he's one of the strongest leaders."

The Pirates might be in greater need of that than most teams. Largely because their clubhouse was dominated last season by younger players looking to prove themselves individually, the general focus seemed to be much more on the individual than the group. Coupled with a culture of losing that extends 13 years, that represents a challenge even Willie Stargell might have spurned.

Casey expressed eagerness to get to it.

"I'm new, so I'm not just going to come in right away and be in anybody's face or anything like that. I'm just going to be me, be the guy I've always been," he said. "But I think there's only one way to play the game, and that's full tilt. Go as hard as you can, play through the nicks when you have to, and get out there every day for your team. Show up."

He said he had seen many young players take the me-first approach when first reaching the majors.

"When you're young and trying to get established, it's tough. But you learn: It's about 'we,' about 'us.' The only way we're going to win is as a team. Hey, you know what? If you do your job and you're a team guy, you're going to have success, and you'll get paid. That stuff takes care of itself. People worry about, 'Oh, I went 0 for 4 tonight, look at my ERA at 6.50, I haven't hit a homer in a month, and I've got arbitration coming up.' That stuff's irrelevant. Do your job tonight. Give us the best chance to win."

In Cincinnati, Casey was the one who made newcomers feel welcomed, walked them to the stall of Ken Griffey Jr. to shake his hand, even invited them to dinner at his house. And he usually did so with a joke or prank.

"You've got to come to the park and love what you do. You've got to come to the park and love who you're with. You've got to be able to open up to guys, to joke around, to laugh at yourself. You've got to have that environment. In the clubhouse, on the team bus, on the plane, going out to dinner together ... you're developing relationships."

Casey said he already had heard from shortstop Jack Wilson and that he planned to phone outfielder Jason Bay.

"What's he like?" Casey asked. "I hear he's a pretty good guy. That's great for us, to have a player like that."

To watch and hear him yesterday, it sounded very much like Casey might like to stick around beyond the expiration of his contract. He can be a free agent after next season.

He acknowledged it already had crossed his mind.

"I think we'll have to see how things play out. Hopefully, we have some success this year on the field and that breeds something else. Right now, though, it's just been about taking things one day at a time and getting ready for spring training."

Littlefield was typically cautious when asked about keeping Casey beyond a year, but he did not rule it out.

"It's going to be one of those decisions we make going forward. We've got a talented, young first baseman in Brad Eldred who has done extremely well moving through the minors. But, of course, Sean has been a very productive major-league player, so you never look at things solely as one or the other. If Sean continues to play at his rate, certainly, we'd be interested in looking at it further."

POJO_Risin
12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Looks like the Pirates may have found a leader...and still in his Prime...

Didn't realize he was a hometown boy...

POJO_Risin
12-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Roethlisberger vows to finish season
Dec. 9, 2005
The Cincinnati Post

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger plans to play out the rest of the season despite a thumb injury so severe it may need surgery, partly because "it's not over for us yet" despite three consecutive losses.

The injury is causing last year's NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year visible pain and is affecting his ability to throw some passes, but Roethlisberger said a protective splint he wears under a glove is allowing him to play.

"We'll probably do that the rest of the way -- we won't be able to take snaps without it," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "I can't grip the ball if I don't wear it. The splint takes the pressure away and puts it back on my wrist, so actually I can grip the ball a little better than I could if I didn't have it on."

Roethlisberger isn't saying if the thumb is broken, and neither is coach Bill Cowher, but Roethlisberger expects to be able to finish the season unless he is hurt again. The Steelers (7-5) play a division-leading team for the third consecutive week Sunday when they face the Chicago Bears (9-3).

"It's pretty bad. It's painful, but it's been worse and it's been better," Roethlisberger said of a thumb he hurt during a 26-7 loss in Indianapolis on Nov. 28.

Despite the injury, Roethlisberger passed for a career-high 386 yards and three touchdowns in a 38-31 loss Sunday to AFC North leader Cincinnati, but he also threw three interceptions that the Bengals turned into two touchdowns.

Midway through the second quarter, Roethlisberger was hit while throwing an incompletion and instinctively put his right hand to the ground to brace his fall. His thumb hurting badly, he was asked to throw on the next play and underthrew a pass that was intercepted. The Bengals quickly turned the mistake into a touchdown and a 21-14 lead.

"That was something we talked about when I talked to the hand doctor," he said. "If you're going to fall, fall on your shoulder, don't go all the way down and don't put your hand down. That's kind of hard to tell someone to do, so I did and I put my hand down and it made it pretty painful and obviously the next play was an interception."

Roethlisberger said the thumb also bothered him on a deep ball heattempted to throw to Cedrick Wilson.

"I told him, 'Ced, I'm sorry about that, I probably could have got you a touchdown if I was healthy,'" Roethlisberger said. "I threw it as far as I could and it only went about 40 yards."

ALinChainz
12-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Penguins fire Olczyk, promote former Canadiens coach Therrien

December 15, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Penguins coach Eddie Olczyk was fired Thursday in the midst of one of the most disappointing starts in franchise history and replaced by former Montreal Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.

Olczyk, a former team broadcaster and player who had no coaching experience before being hired in 2003, was dismissed following a run of eight losses in nine games that dropped Pittsburgh's record to 8-17-6, worst in the Eastern Conference.

Only St. Louis (6-17-4) has fewer wins in the NHL, and general manager Craig Patrick decided to fire Olczyk after a string of dismally played losses in the last week.

Patrick said it became obvious during a 5-0 loss to Minnesota last Thursday that the players were tuning Olczyk out and no longer respected him, and the situation got only worse during losses to Detroit (3-1) on Monday and St. Louis (3-0) on Tuesday.

"The Minnesota loss was very disturbing -- the team had shown its face and for whatever reason they weren't listening," Patrick said.

But Patrick also faulted himself and the players, and he acknowledged the blend of newer players such as super prospect Sidney Crosby and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and old-line stars such as John LeClair, Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy and Jocelyn Thibault wasn't working. He promised more changes if there isn't a fast turnaround under Therrien.

"I can't say why," Patrick said when asked why the players didn't respond to Olczyk. "But we're going to find a solution."

The 39-year-old Olczyk is the first NHL coach to be fired since the league resumed play following a one-season labor impasse.

Therrien, who coached the Penguins' Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club to a 21-1-2-1 record that represents the best start in AHL history, ran Penguins practice Thursday and will coach his first NHL game since the 2002-03 season Friday night against Buffalo. He was 77-77-13-13 as Montreal's coach from 2000-03.

Therrien. 42, will bring a much more disciplined approach to a team that has been criticized for its lazy work habits and inability to stick to a system. He emphasizes controlling the puck and creating turnovers in the transition game, and doesn't hesitate to call out players when they're not performing.

"He's a no-nonsense guy and it's either his way or you don't play -- and from what I see, we definitely need that," Patrick said.

The Penguins were a league-worst 23-47-8-4 during Olczyk's first season in 2003-04, including an 18-game losing streak. But the pressure on Olczyk to begin winning increased when the Penguins won the NHL draft lottery in July and chose Crosby, considered Canada's best prospect since Penguins owner-player Mario Lemieux.

But the Penguins got off to a terrible start by losing their first nine games. Lemieux also had another medical setback, being diagnosed last week with a heart disorder. Crosby has averaged a point a game but also has been slumping with only one goal in eight games.

"We look pretty on paper, but what are we? What are we?" Patrick said. "I don't know, but we're going to find out."

This is the fourth time Patrick has fired a coach during the season.

Therrien replaced Alain Vigneault as Montreal's coach on Nov. 20, 2000 but was fired and replaced by Claude Julien on Jan. 17, 2003.

Penguins assistant coaches Joe Mullen and Randy Hillier also were fired, as were goaltending coach Shane Clifford and strength coach John Welday. Therrien brought his Wilkes-Barre staff with him -- assistant Mike Yeo, strength coach Stephane Dube and goaltending consultant Gilles Lefebvre.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AnDUhgpbhTi_ZFDW10TK4iw5nYcB?slug=ap-penguins-olczykfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Va Beach VH Fan
12-15-2005, 07:56 PM
It's too bad, Edzo was well-liked, but this was the right move....

And quite obviously, they need a coach like Thierren now....

Gonna be an interesting next couple of weeks....

ALinChainz
12-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I thought Eddy O would be there a long time when he was hired.

There were pretty high expectations when the season started, I thought the Pens would be a player.

Shit went bad.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-18-2005, 05:15 PM
That was one ugly win in 'Sota...

I didn't like the gameplan at all...

The pass defense continues to be very mediocre....

Kick returns are looking bad as well....

NATEDOG001976
12-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Vikes shot themselves in the foot. Good win for Pitt, Vikes need to score plain and simple.

ALinChainz
12-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Undrafted Parker closing in on unlikely 1,000-yard season

December 22, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Thirteen NFL running backs have rushed for 1,000 yards this season, and four are fewer than 100 yards away. Most share a common bond of college stardom, getting enormous money before playing their first NFL game, being a big name and a big deal long before they were pros.

Nine were first-round draft picks. Two more went in the second round, one in the third and one in the fourth.

Then there's Willie Parker, who needs 63 yards in his final two games to become only the sixth running back in the Pittsburgh Steelers' 73-season history with a 1,000-yard season.

First-round draft pick? He wasn't even the first back picked most Saturdays by his own college, spending all but a few games at North Carolina as a backup -- barely getting 1,000 yards in his career. He had speed and strength, often outlifting the other backs in the weight room, but for some reason he didn't have what the Tar Heels wanted.

Dan Rooney Jr., the son of the Steelers' chairman and a team scout, remembered Parker from his starring days at Clinton (N.C.) High School and recommended signing him as an undrafted free agent.

Parker was as raw as could be in his first training camp in 2004, but his speed made such an impression on coach Bill Cowher that he made it through the roster cuts. The first time he got more than a few carries in a game, he ran for 102 yards against the Bills in the season finale.

When Jerome Bettis and Duce Staley got hurt in training camp this summer, Parker stepped in and gained 272 yards in the first two games. He's had only one 100-yard game since, but has never given back his job to two backs who have a combined 11 1,000-yard seasons between them.

All season, Parker has deflected credit for his success to the offensive line, the coaches' game plan or to Bettis and Staley for showing him the way. But now that 1,000 yards are so close, Parker acknowledges it would mean a lot personally.

"I can't say a lie and say it's not so," he said. "It's because of how I got here and the fact I haven't rushed for 1,000 yards since high school. Being in the elite role of runners like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Edgerrin James, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jerome, it would be real good for me to get over the mark."

Parker has always had the kind of turn-the-corner speed the Steelers have lacked at running back; as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said, "It's a lot of fun to just give him the ball and watch him run."

What Parker is showing is that he also possesses perseverance, motivation and mental toughness, qualities not always found among first-round draft picks who have generally known little adversity in their pre-NFL careers.

Parker showed it again Sunday when, after getting benched the week before for fumbling for the third time in two games, he came back with a solid 81-yard game against the Vikings.

"Because of my parents, `I can't' wasn't allowed to be part of my dictionary," Parker said. "I'd be saying at North Carolina, `I can't take any more of this,' and some parents would have been like, `Give it up, you don't have to take this.' But they wouldn't let me leave, and I stuck it out. Now, if I'm ever a father, I'm going to tell my kids they can never use the words, `I can't.' You can do anything the next man can do."

What's surprising about Parker's near-accomplishment is that, for a franchise long known for its power running game, the only Steelers running backs with 1,000-yard seasons are Bettis, Franco Harris, John Henry Johnson, Rocky Bleier and Barry Foster. Bleier and Foster did it only once each.

For Parker, it's a case of so few yards to go for a man who has come so far.

"Let me tell you a story that happened in high school," he said. "The two best teams in the state were in the same conference, and this other team beats us. We play them again in the regional, and they've already got their buses ordered and their T-shirts for going to state. So my team got a little fired up about that.

"We already knew we were the best team, and we beat them like 33-0. And the next day in the paper they said Willie Parker is only a junior, his team's not supposed to win this game," Parker said.

And how fitting is this? His high school team is nicknamed the Dark Horses. If there ever was a dark horse candidate to be an NFL 1,000-yard rusher, it's Parker.

"The moral of the story? It's not supposed to happen that way again -- I'm not even thinking in my wildest dreams of being near 1,000 yards, and it's coming around now," he said. "The picture's being painted now."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-willies1&prov=ap&type=lgns

POJO_Risin
12-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Congrats to Parker...and to do it with Staley and Bettis there...is even more impressive...

ALinChainz
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
It is.

Next season with their OL coming back healthy and more than likely a stranglehold on the job, all he has to do is toughen up a litlle holding onto the ball.

I don't see why a full slate of starting can't be 1,400+ and 10+ TDs.

POJO_Risin
12-23-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree 100%...and I really curious to see what the Steelers do.

Parker is good...but...

he's not BIG on having a #1 that isn't a north/south guy...

I look at Parker and see Pegram...so if Bettis and Staley aren't back...I still think you'll see Pittsburgh bring in a big back...

ALinChainz
12-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Gibbs adjusted to Portis.

Not that Parker is Portis, but who knows.

He'll obviously bulk up some over the off-season.

But yeah, Cowher needs at least one earth mover at RB.

With Staley's salary, wonder if he'll restructure to stay.

POJO_Risin
12-23-2005, 12:13 AM
He'll have to...because his health is certainly an issue...if he doesn't restructure...he's gone...

they may just try and resign Haynes...or go into the draft...

Every time I see Lendell White run the ball...I think Pittsburgh...

but it depends on when he goes...I think he could be a first rounder...but if he falls to late 2nd round...Pittsburgh will take him...

POJO_Risin
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM
excuse me...LenDale White...lmfao...

of course...he's only a junior...and no way is he coming out...

ALinChainz
12-23-2005, 12:17 AM
I would like to see what Haynes could do with a little more action. Seems like he has the same fumble problem though, maybe he doesn't and not enough carries to determine.

Seemed to play the 3rd down role pretty well. Not your classic burner, but Pittsburgh seems to have that little bit of the Denver thing going as where most any back playing excels to an extent, some more than others.

And they did have a lot of injury and shifting along the OL this season. And some games without Ben in there and the running game being the number one priority of the oppostion.

ALinChainz
12-23-2005, 12:19 AM
excuse me...LenDale White...lmfao...

of course...he's only a junior...and no way is he coming out...

Nope, you know he wants all those Bush carries added to his next season.

But it will only help him barring injury.

Not that he wouldn't be a first day selection anyway, but may as well gaurantee himself a first round slot.

POJO_Risin
12-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Bush could win in '06 ... if he elects to go pro

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(Nov. 21, 2005) -- These days, Bush's approval ratings are way up.

It's now to the point that should running back Reggie Bush enter the 2006 NFL Draft -- and the smart money says he will -- he could end up as the No. 1 overall pick. There are multiple reasons San Francisco would be the ideal landing spot for Bush.

For one, Bush's high school teammate in San Diego was quarterback Alex Smith, the 49ers' first-round pick last April.

For another, landing the Southern California running back -- who piled up 513 all-purpose yards Nov. 19 during a 50-42 victory against Fresno State -- would give the 49ers a dream backfield that features a Bush and a Gore. Bush would complement former University of Miami standout Frank Gore. What's more perfect than that, a Bush and a Gore?

And there are more interesting ties to the USC backfield. Trojans running back LenDale White, who also is expected to turn to the NFL after this season, has been receiving counsel about turning pro from his cousin, Detroit Pistons guard Chauncey Billups. They speak twice a week. Billups has counseled White and given him direction about what life would be like in the pros.

White also would be expected to go in the first round, giving USC's backfield three potential first-round draft choices.

POJO_Risin
12-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Didn't realize Billups is his cousin...

and lmfao...

Bush and Gore for San Fran...

that would be a fucking hilarious marketing strategy...

ALinChainz
12-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Bush and Gore ... unreal ... lmao ...

They'd be crazy to pass him up, SF that is.

Even with Gore.

POJO_Risin
12-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Fuck Gore...San Fran needs him just for the PR piece...

ALinChainz
12-23-2005, 12:35 AM
And you know if they can draft Bush, and can get out of Barlow's ridiculous contract ...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Making preps for the PA roadtrip for the holidays...

See ya on Tuesday night at center ice for Leafs/Pens (don't ask how much those tix cost :D )..... We'll be behind the penalty boxes....

Gonna make a half-day out of it... We'll head to the new Western PA Sports Museum first (heard lots of good things about that), then take the "subway" over to Station Square, grab some chow at the Hard Rock, then back over to the Igloo...

I was thinking about heading to Primanti Brothers for one of their great sandwiches, but I'll pass this time....

Va Beach VH Fan
12-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I those lousy politicians don't award the slots license to this group, they're even more crooked than I thought....

Not only completely funding an arena without a penny of taxpayer money, but a BILLION dollar economic development plan in the Hill District....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05356/626343.stm

Penguins name Isle of Capri as casino partner for new arena
Gambling firm betting connection will win it a license
Thursday, December 22, 2005

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Isle of Capri Casinos Inc., a major player in the gambling industry, is the power behind a $1 billion plus plan to to redevelop the lower Hill District and secure the Penguins' future in Pittsburgh.

The Penguins are banking that the proposal -- in which Isle of Capri also promises to build an arena -- will carry the day with state regulators and enable Isle of Capri to capture the license for a Pittsburgh slots casino.

"When you look at the merits of what we've spoken about today," Penguins President Ken Sawyer said yesterday, "it's pretty hard to think why not? Great site. Great opportunity to keep the team here, get a brand new arena at no cost."

Isle of Capri, with 15 casinos in 13 locations in the United States, Europe and the Bahamas, will be teaming with the Penguins, Nationwide Realty Investors of Columbus, Ohio, and a community coalition led by the Rev. James Simms, a former Allegheny County Council president, in an ambitious plan to remake the lower Hill District with at least $400 million in new office, retail and residential development.

The gambling operator would supply $290 million for construction of an 18,000-seat arena for hockey, concerts and other events. It also expects to commit at least another $1 million a year in slots revenues for community givebacks, said Tim Hinkley, Isle of Capri president and chief operating officer.

The Penguins will take no profits from the casino or have any equity role in its ownership. The team would, however, operate and keep the revenue from the new arena, in an arrangement similar to one the Pirates and Steelers have at PNC Park and Heinz Field. Like the stadiums, the arena would be owned by the city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority.

"It was our decision to make sure the maximum can be provided for a new arena," Mr. Sawyer said. "We just want a place to play."

The entire effort, of course, is contingent on Isle of Capri winning the state license to operate the Pittsburgh casino in a competition that may be the most heated for any venue in Pennsylvania.

Even as public officials scramble to find ways to fund a new arena and keep the Penguins, with or without gambling revenue, Mr. Sawyer said there is a "risk" that the team could leave town if it and its partners do not get the slots license.

The Penguins' lease at Mellon Arena expires June 30, 2007, but Mario Lemieux and his ownership group can start shopping the team this summer. Mr. Sawyer said there is a possibility that could happen even with a slots application pending before the state Gaming Control Board, which could take up to a year to award the license after Wednesday's application deadline.

"We have to make sure we know where we are a year from now. It's been very, very difficult for us to operate the last several years in the old arena," Mr. Sawyer said.

The Penguins and Isle of Capri are expected to be one of at least five competitors for the Pittsburgh slots license.

Others include Station Square owner Forest City Enterprises, which is expected to team with gambling power Harrah's Entertainment; Alco Parking Corp. President Merrill Stabile; MTR Gaming, owner of Mountaineer Race Track and Gaming Resort in West Virginia; and Beaver County developer Charles Betters.

Mr. Stabile had little comment on the plan, saying he wanted to see more details. But John Brabender, an MTR spokesman, said he saw advantages to MTR's plan to build a casino on the North Shore while directing about $6 million year to funding an arena. The casino, he said, would be in a separate location from "where you're going to have 'Sesame Street on Ice.' It gives the community the best of both worlds."

Publicly traded Isle of Capri has 11,000 employees and generates about $1.1 billion in gambling revenues annually. It is not as big as Harrah's or MGM Mirage but "definitely has evolved into one of the major players in the gaming industry," said Joseph Weinert, vice president of Spectrum Gaming Group, an industry consultant.

In addition to Pittsburgh, the company had been investigating sites in the Lehigh Valley in Eastern Pennsylvania for a possible casino.

The Pittsburgh casino, which would reflect Isle of Capri's trademark Caribbean theme, and the new Penguins home would be built on a 50-acre site that now includes Mellon Arena. The two venues probably would be built side by side and would cost $600 million to $700 million combined.

About 28 acres of land now occupied by the arena would be opened for redevelopment, to be spearheaded by Nationwide Realty. The company developed Nationwide Arena in Columbus and a surrounding arena district filled with bars, clubs, housing and a movie theater.

It also has been involved in The Waterfront shopping and residential complex in Homestead and as an investor in the ongoing redevelopment of the North Shore between the stadiums.

The Penguins and Isle of Capri plan to form a nonprofit coalition called Pittsburgh First to redevelop the arena site into residential, office and retail space. A goal is to reconnect the Hill District with Downtown, one of the reasons Mr. Simms, a member of Pittsburgh's state-appointed oversight board, decided to support the proposal.

The proposal also has the backing of the Greater Pennsylvania Regional Council of Carpenters. State Sen. Jim Ferlo, D-Highland Park, also gave it an initial endorsement, calling it an "economic development no-brainer."

County Chief Executive Dan Onorato could not be reached for comment.

In a statement, Mayor-elect Bob O'Connor said the effort to build a new arena "is off to a good start. I'm looking forward to working with Dan Onorato and the Penguins to secure a new arena for Pittsburgh and the region."

Isle of Capri already has begun filing information related to its application to the Gaming Control Board. If awarded the license, it expects to begin construction of the casino in early 2007. It also may open a temporary casino site above the existing arena.

Earlier yesterday, in another arena-related development, the Penguins received an the option to renew their lease for one year to June 2008 under an amendment approved by the sports authority board.

Authority Executive Director Mary Conturo said the one-year option gives public officials and the Penguins some breathing room to find a way to finance a new arena.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Another one....

POJO_Risin
12-24-2005, 11:06 AM
That's going to be hard to beat...that proposal...

considering what it can do for the city...

a lot of folk wonder what a stadium can do for a city...

Well...it can spur on redevelopment...

I know Cleveland isn't the same place it was 20 years ago...

and a major piece of that was the Gateway project...

POJO_Risin
12-24-2005, 11:08 AM
On a football note...I was thinking last night...

damn...I wish the Cleveland/Pittsburgh games would have the same fury they used to...

then remembered what Cleveland COULD do if they beat Pittsburgh today...

and Cleveland is playing better...much better...

I think Pittsburgh's D will have some interesting stuff for Mr. Frye though...

and if they stop Droughns..game over...

POJO_Risin
12-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Steelers Browns...

should be fun today...