PDA

View Full Version : A CHINESE General Said what?

Nickdfresh
07-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Chinese General Threatens U.S. Over Taiwan
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:44 AM EDT
The Associated Press (http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=12052150&ps=1012&cat=&cps=0)
By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese general said Beijing might respond with nuclear weapons if the United States attacked China in a conflict over Taiwan, news reports said Friday.

The comments could add to tensions with Washington at a time of U.S. worries about China's military buildup and the proposed takeover of the oil company Unocal Corp. by a Chinese state-run company.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition into the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons," Maj. Gen. Zhu Chenghu, a dean at China's National Defense University, told visiting Hong Kong-based reporters. His remarks were reported by The Asian Wall Street Journal and The Financial Times.

Zhu stressed that he was expressing a personal view, not official policy, and was confident that China and the United States would not go to war, the reports said. While Zhu is a serving officer, he isn't involved in policymaking.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry didn't respond to requests for comment on the general's remarks. A woman who answered the phone at the protocol office of the Defense Ministry said it had no comment. She refused to give her name.

China claims Taiwan, which split from the mainland in 1949, as part of its territory and has threatened to invade if the self-governing island declares formal independence or puts off talks on unification.

Also Friday, the visiting president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, called on Beijing to open direct talks with Taiwan, saying it would help to promote peace in East Asia.

"The international community would welcome China starting a direct dialogue with Taiwan as a sign of great maturity," Barroso said in a speech at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the government's main think tank.

China has a "particular responsibility for peace and security in East Asia," Barroso said. "Both the region and the world as a whole cannot afford conflict in East Asia."

Zhu was responding to a question about how China might react to U.S. involvement in a conflict with Taiwan, the Journal said. The United States is Taiwan's biggest arms supplier and could be drawn into fighting to help defend the island.

"If the Americans are determined to interfere ... we will be determined to respond, and we Chinese will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all cities east of Xi'an," a major city in central China, Zhu said.

"Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds of, or two hundreds of, (or) even more cities will be destroyed by the Chinese," he said.

The general said his comments were "my assessment, not the policy of the government," the Journal said.

In Washington, witnesses at congressional hearings this week criticized the bid by Hong Kong-based CNOOC Ltd. to take over Unocal as a strategic effort by China to gain control of foreign energy supplies.

China exploded its first nuclear weapon in 1964 and has an arsenal of missiles that can carry nuclear warheads.

China has a "no first strike" nuclear policy, but according to the Journal, Zhu said he believed that applied to non-nuclear powers and could be changed.

The general said China has no intention of getting into an arms race with the United States, noting the experience of the former Soviet Union as evidence of the futility of doing so, the report said.

Phil theStalker
07-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Chinese General Threatens U.S. Over Taiwan
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:44 AM EDT
The Associated Press (http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=12052150&ps=1012&cat=&cps=0)
By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese general said Beijing might respond with nuclear weapons if the United States attacked China in a conflict over Taiwan, news reports said Friday.

The comments could add to tensions with Washington at a time of U.S. worries about China's military buildup and the proposed takeover of the oil company Unocal Corp. by a Chinese state-run company.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition into the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons,".............

I've been telling everyboody dis..

Tell tit t2o Ford and GM..

and congress, da pres...

naw, they're in on tit..

tit's waaaaaaaaaaay t2oo late..

Nick, doo yoo think vacuum packed ammo is better? huh

:spank:

Nickdfresh
07-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Yez I do PHIL...Send me those bunker blueprints, will ya?':confused:

Phil theStalker
07-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Yez I do PHIL...Send me those bunker blueprints, will ya?':confused:
You got tit..

git as mmuch canned and dry food as you can, t2oo..

BigBadBrian
07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
You got tit..

git as mmuch canned and dry food as you can, t2oo..

http://www.cert.dfn.de/infoserv/dib/c3_animation.gif

Phil theStalker
07-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
SPAM [/B]Put a little Flax seed on dat, BBB.:)

FORD
07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
I wonder how much money the Carlyle Group division of BCE has invested in Chinese weapons that might someday be used against us?

knuckleboner
07-15-2005, 01:20 PM
this is surprising?

isn't that the whole point of a nuclear deterant?

"don't attack us, or we'll nuke you."

Cathedral
07-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Oh, so Generals are the one's who make the decision to use nukes in China?

In the first place, we are in no way shape or form going to attack China over little Tiawan.

Or let me put it this way, an attack on China would be the very last thing America ever does.
There is no way we could even think we could beat them without the help of ALL our Allies, and even then, i doubt we would win.

Yes, you read me right, China is one country I suggest we don't start fucking with, period.

Mezro
07-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Why is this a surprise?

Taiwan is not our business and if we stick our noses in it, China will blast it off.

Anyone familiar with Chinese culture are aware of a few key points: 1. the Chinese are not known for forgiveness or mercy. 2. They don't fear shit 3. They put the good of country before personal needs. 4. They have a level of discipline most of us can't even comprehend. 5. Even in the rare event they lose, they will not forget and figure out a new way to win.

To summarize: the Chinese are rice powered Terminators. We will fucking have our asses handed to us ten times over.

Mezro...China already owns us...the Wal-Mart crowd are just too uneducated to see it...

Cathedral
07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Why is this a surprise?

Taiwan is not our business and if we stick our noses in it, China will blast it off.

Anyone familiar with Chinese culture are aware of a few key points: 1. the Chinese are not known for forgiveness or mercy. 2. They don't fear shit 3. They put the good of country before personal needs. 4. They have a level of discipline most of us can't even comprehend. 5. Even in the rare event they lose, they will not forget and figure out a new way to win.

To summarize: the Chinese are rice powered Terminators. We will fucking have our asses handed to us ten times over.

Mezro...China already owns us...the Wal-Mart crowd are just too uneducated to see it...

Well said, as usual..............

Warham
07-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Oh, so Generals are the one's who make the decision to use nukes in China?

In the first place, we are in no way shape or form going to attack China over little Tiawan.

Or let me put it this way, an attack on China would be the very last thing America ever does.
There is no way we could even think we could beat them without the help of ALL our Allies, and even then, i doubt we would win.

Yes, you read me right, China is one country I suggest we don't start fucking with, period.

A few nukes will take care of anybody...

thome
07-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Nukes couldnt stop them 1/3 world pop over there they could just
take off walking like locusts and EAT the world.

Warham
07-15-2005, 04:42 PM
huh?

Mezro
07-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Mezro...it won't take care of the millions of Chinese already living here...they will rise up and kill everything that is white and moves...poor snow...

Warham
07-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Didn't the Japanese fold up like a cheap suit when we dropped 2 atomic bombs over there? The power of a nuke is much stronger than an atomic warhead, and will surely bring anyone to their knees. I just feel sorry for anyone who tries to hit the U.S. with any nukes, because we will surely have MORE warheads pointed in their direction. I'm sure this has all been carefully assessed following the Manhattan Project.

thome
07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Who thinks China doesnt have a very tight freindship w/ the U.S.

In the big picture not in the press they are one of our closest alies.

Warham
07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Looks like as of 2002, we had 10,600 warheads ready to go (7,982 deployed, and 2,700 for a hedge/contigency stockpile). It's enough.

Warham
07-15-2005, 04:51 PM
18. Total known land area occupied by U.S. nuclear weapons bases and facilities:

15,654 square miles

U.S. Nuclear Weapons Cost Study Project

19. Total land area of the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, and New Jersey:

15,357 square miles

http://www.geocities.com/weisskirche/antiwar/nuclear_weapons.html?200515

BigBadBrian
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Indeed.

:gulp:

Warham
07-15-2005, 04:53 PM
If the blast doesn't kill them, the fallout will.

BigBadBrian
07-15-2005, 06:52 PM
If the blast doesn't kill them, the fallout will.

Then we can order Chinese takeout.

I want Kung Pao Shrimp! :D

thome
07-15-2005, 07:35 PM
You see my friends as i speak so lovingly to you all from high upon my mountain top.My seekers of Knowledge.Yeah tho!

The objective of WAR is to occupy territory there need not be a reason.
To achieve this one must occupy the land physically so thus with
residual left overs from NUKULAR radiation the land the people,
left after are useless.So any country with the capability already
knows the result all others seeking this knowledge are fools .

The only ones who will use nukular are the ones who want Nothing,
but to kill, mame ,injure ,destroy. Yet have no Question, no Want
no Answers.This my friends is the TERRORIST Do not question his
motive he has none ,Do not ask why,Do not embrace him as a
revolutionary.Simply give him no reason to want to be like he is.
That my friends is the dilemma since he has no wants no questions
all is merely a falsehood to confuse the weak and vulnerable.

The only treatment for their illness is their Destruction or Confinement.

These are my only fears of nuclear detonation.

LoungeMachine
07-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Mezro

Irony at it's purest form.

The only American products you'll ever find in Wal-Mart are the 6 little sniveling mouthbreathers hanging on fat momma's stretch pants.

:cool:

Guitar Shark
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
OK, I can't take it anymore. thome is now officially on my ignore list.

LoungeMachine
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM

You're quite the Relic :rolleyes:

Got a poster of Ronald Wilson Reagan still on your wall, I bet

LoungeMachine
07-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
OK, I can't take it anymore. thome is now officially on my ignore list.

Welcome to my world.

I find scrolling right past his posts without reading them quite enjoyable.

thome
07-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Irony at it's purest form.

The only American products you'll ever find in Wal-Mart are the 6 little sniveling mouthbreathers hanging on fat momma's stretch pants.

Ah, yes Americas greatest natural resource,White Trash.

Nickdfresh
07-15-2005, 08:25 PM
There was a time when the USN sent a carrier battle group into the South China Sea, and the CHINESE shuddered...

We'd better make very close friends out of INDIA.

FORD
07-15-2005, 08:56 PM
There was a time when the USN sent a carrier battle group into the South China Sea, and the CHINESE shuddered...

We'd better make very close friends out of INDIA.

After all the high tech jobs we have given those fuckers the last few years, they better be our friends.

Except the way the BCE cozies up to Pakistan probably doesn't sit well with them.

BigBadBrian
07-15-2005, 09:08 PM

http://www.theamericanmind.com/images/reagan-tshirt.jpg

FORD
07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Funniest thing about that poster is that Reagan would have absolutely fucking hated it. :D

Warham
07-15-2005, 09:44 PM

Best president in the last quarter century.

LoungeMachine
07-15-2005, 09:50 PM

I've told you before, huffing gasoline at your age is unwise :cool:

LoungeMachine
07-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Funniest thing about that poster is that Reagan would have absolutely fucking hated it. :D

First Term maybe.

By his second, someone would have had to read it to him, between naps

Cathedral
07-15-2005, 09:54 PM

Damn Skippy!
I loved that man and had the honor of voting for his second term, my first election.
I registered for the selective service the same day i registered to vote.

Oh the early 80's, what a time that was and we had it all...Van Halen, Ronald Reagan, lots of pot and beer to go with the long hair and naked chicks.

I wanna go back...:(

Warham
07-15-2005, 09:56 PM
You think when any of these presidents head for that big siesta in the sky, they'll get the kind of send-off like Reagan got? I think not.

Nickdfresh
07-15-2005, 10:01 PM
CLINTON will be remembered fondly and warmly, though he may not get the Gipper's farewell party.

FORD
07-15-2005, 10:06 PM
You think when any of these presidents head for that big siesta in the sky, they'll get the kind of send-off like Reagan got? I think not.

I'll be partying my ass off the day Junior dies.

Hopefully behind bars in a federal (or international) prison.

Warham
07-15-2005, 10:18 PM
CLINTON will be remembered fondly and warmly, though he may not get the Gipper's farewell party.

Especially by all his former lovers and interns. ;)

Dr. Love
07-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll be partying my ass off the day Junior dies.

Hopefully behind bars in a federal (or international) prison.

What will you be in jail for?? :confused:

Nickdfresh
07-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Especially by all his former lovers and interns. ;)

He'll be just a gigolo...;)

Cathedral
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love

LMMFAO, nothing gets by you, does it?

Big Train
07-16-2005, 04:09 AM
I actually got a kick out of his statements about nukes. Very old school indeed.

China and the US will never get in a war over Tawain (Sp?). Ever. It is the bitch of both countries. Secondly, the US could beat the Chinese in a conventional war over the island, as air and sea superiority is ours. A land-based engagement with China is a different story. That would be a difficult battle we would have to have the strong will to fight. Which would only happen if they started in towards these shores.

The nuke statements I read sometimes make me laugh. My mother has spent her career working in this field and my childhood had some interesting learning experiences because of it. For example, the US alone has enough nuclear firepower to destroy the entire world 40 TIMES OVER. 40 fucking times. There are nuclear warheads aimed at the frontdoors of telecommunications, hospitals and higher learning facilities of every major city in this country from several countries.

Nuclear war is the endgame. You can't just lob a few there and "take care of them". If just one were to go up, all of them go up on both sides. Game over.

It is not a concept to be toyed with. Which makes me think the Chinese are more concerned about our abilities in this conflict than we give ourselves credit for. There is no other reason to go straight to the ace in the deck. Unless of course, the guy is senile.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 05:08 AM
One of the reasons some are worried is that this general is on the high command.

Phil theStalker
07-16-2005, 09:57 AM
One of the reasons some are worried is that this general is on the high command.
It kind of worries mmee dat Bill Ford aff da Ford Motor Co. hasn't heard dis.

Git reedy f4or da civil war..

and aff i wuz billy ford i'd change mmy last name.. and move t2o China, yeh..

dark dayz, darker dayz ahead..

FORD
07-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love

Okay, you got me.

reading that again, I left myself wide open :p

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 12:48 PM
I left myself wide open :p

I hear that's the best way to make friends in the slammer... :)

FORD
07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
I hear that's the best way to make friends in the slammer... :)

:mad:

DrMaddVibe
07-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Pass the duck sauce.

Warham
07-16-2005, 02:43 PM
lmao

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 03:09 PM
:mad:

LMMFAO, Well dude, you just keep making it so easy.

There is a reason I am the President of "Brute Force Cybernetics".
I see a need and then fill it.

:D

Dr. Love
07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I think FORD has a 'need', Cat... :P

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm not going to reply with what is itching to be posted, I think i pissed him off with my last one.

I was only kidding though... :(

Ford may be accepting of the gay lifestyle, but I am 110% sure he isn't on that team.

Dr. Love
07-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I think FORD can take it. :D

LoungeMachine
07-16-2005, 05:36 PM

Ford may be accepting of the gay lifestyle, but I am 110% sure he isn't on that team.

Doubt it, highly:rolleyes:

But the Mayor of Spokane, a Republican Gay Basher is.

So is Ken Mehlman, KKKarl Rove, Scotty McClellan, JimmyJeffGannon/Guckert, and many others in the RED Party:cool:

The "religious" right is the biggest bunch of fucking hypocrites to come along in decades

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm related to a couple of those people, it's scary the way the mind works.
Judgemental and unable to admit when proven wrong.
Waving the flag and saying "This is God's War!"
Accusing people of being thieves when they don't pay their own taxes.
And thinking we have a right to impose our way of life on everyone, blah blah blah..............
The only guarentee of a downword spiral is that you are sure to hit the bottom sooner or later.

The end has been coming since the beginning, so in my view, the end will be coming when it comes.

But some are bound and determined to bring that end on themselves in the name of Benny Hinn, John Hagee, Jimmy Swaggert and whoever else is on the tube preaching fear to empty wallets.

The whole fucking country has gone mental, and i'm seeing that for myself.

Warham
07-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Yes, I dislike those who preach that this is the endtimes immensely. They put out a new book every year and tour endlessly saying that this is it! He's comin' soon!

After the Y2K spin machine came out and they were preaching to people that it was the end of the world and you better stock up on generators, canned food and bottled water, I had heard enough.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Yes, I dislike those who preach that this is the endtimes immensely. They put out a new book every year and tour endlessly saying that this is it! He's comin' soon!

After the Y2K spin machine came out and they were preaching to people that it was the end of the world and you better stock up on generators, canned food and bottled water, I had heard enough.

Ever watch "The Day After Tomorrow?"

Warham
07-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Ever watch "The Day After Tomorrow?"

No, but I remember some critics saying it was a dud besides the special effects.

Is it any good?

LoungeMachine
07-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Just Watched "Control Room" on the media in Iraq pre and post invasion.

Much of it was quite prophetic, to say the least.

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 10:57 PM

You should see the storage space my Mother has.
Canned goods, generators (2), gallons and gallons of water.

This started in 2000, and is still being loaded to this day.

Needless to say, I have first hand experiences that have opened my eyes wide to the crap corporate faith has spawned.

It's somewhat disturbing to watch a parent go off the deep end.

Warham
07-16-2005, 11:03 PM
I remember listening to this radio show back in '99. The host had all these 'experts' on, saying the utilities were going to fail, and the water treatment plants wouldn't be able to operate, and the banks would lose information. On and on. Then they insisted that listeners buy these $1000 freeze-dried food packages that would last for two years. Then the generators, etc. etc. It was insane, and all to make a fast buck from gullible Christians.

LoungeMachine
07-16-2005, 11:09 PM

It was insane, and all to make a fast buck from gullible Christians.

Sounds alot like the RNC to me :cool:

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 11:11 PM
I remember listening to this radio show back in '99. The host had all these 'experts' on, saying the utilities were going to fail, and the water treatment plants wouldn't be able to operate, and the banks would lose information. On and on. Then they insisted that listeners by these $1000 freeze-dried food packages that would last for two years. Then the generators, etc. etc. It was insane, and all to make a fast buck from gullible Christians.

Well, it clearly seperates the independant thinkers from the sheep, don't it?
I'd laugh, but it isn't funny at all.

WACF
07-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Amazing how much has "made in China" on it...I was just in Banff and pretty much most of what I saw was made in China...including alot of the shop owners.

Good point on India Ford.

kentuckyklira
07-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Didn't the Japanese fold up like a cheap suit when we dropped 2 atomic bombs over there? The power of a nuke is much stronger than an atomic warhead, and will surely bring anyone to their knees. I just feel sorry for anyone who tries to hit the U.S. with any nukes, because we will surely have MORE warheads pointed in their direction. I'm sure this has all been carefully assessed following the Manhattan Project. This shows what everybody knows anyhow, how friggin stupid you are!

Figure this out dude,

we only have one world to destroy and once it´s dead and gone, that´s it!

China nuking as much of the USA as they can and you nuking all of China will definitely be the end of the world as we know it.

Happy skin lung and thyroid gland cancer to all the survivors, everywhere!

kentuckyklira
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Especially by all his former lovers and interns. ;) Still jealous he got lots of head while you´re busy waiting for the next issue of Hustler!!??

Warham
07-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Still jealous he got lots of head while you´re busy waiting for the next issue of Hustler!!??

Not when I see who he got it from.

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
It should be duely noted that CHINA really does not have a lot of ICBMs.

Warham
07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Noted my friend.

FORD
07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Nuclear war with China isn't realistically an issue, because NOBODY would survive that, and the Chinese aren't under any such illusion.

Conventional warfare against a nation that outnumbers us 8:1 is very troubling, however.

Warham
07-19-2005, 03:32 PM
The U.S. would never enter into a ground war with the Chinese. It'd be all bombers and fighters until the white flags came out.

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
The U.S. would never enter into a ground war with the Chinese. It'd be all bombers and fighters until the white flags came out.

Our bombers carry white flags?

Warham
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Yes, since we never use ours, we'll loan them to China.

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Nuclear war with China isn't realistically an issue, because NOBODY would survive that, and the Chinese aren't under any such illusion.

Conventional warfare against a nation that outnumbers us 8:1 is very troubling, however.

There is no War Game with them that we come out the victor

Mutually Assured Destruction is the term most often used

Besides, we're on our way to becoming a "wholely owned subsidiary" of China anyway:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes, since we never use ours, we'll loan them to China.

And the fall of Saigon was what again?

:rolleyes:

Warham
07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
There's no war game where they come out the victor.

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
There's no war game where they come out the victor.

Bullshit.

Convential ground forces = They Win

Are you really this stupid today?:rolleyes:

Warham
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
And the fall of Saigon was what again?

:rolleyes:

Quit living in the past, Lounge. Get with the times, man! Stop thinking about the good old days of Clinton, and move into the present day.

Warham
07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Bullshit.

Convential ground forces = They Win

Are you really this stupid today?:rolleyes:

I guess you aren't paying attention, Lounge.

I said that we would never enter that kind of war with them. I SAID it would be all bombers and fighters.

The only stupid one here is the one who doesn't read the other's posts before he replies.

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Quit living in the past, Lounge. Get with the times, man! Stop thinking about the good old days of Clinton, and move into the present day.

Still can't come to grips with the fact we lost Viet Nam?

Care to learn from your mistakes? No?

I forgot, you're a Republican.:rolleyes:

Warham
07-19-2005, 03:41 PM
We've learned from our mistakes.

That's why we've been in control of the government since '94.

When are you libs going to learn from yours?

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM

No you haven't. The Senate is corrupt as it ever has been, the Administration is driven by an increasingly unpopular and discredited ideology, and your President can get nothing done any longer. He's blown his wad with his last Supreme Court card to play. Have fun for the rest of this term. Bush has only shown he's a stubborn fool and is incapable from learning his mistakes. It should be interesting with "mandate" boy's public approval ratings continuing to fall precipitously...

Warham
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Do you remember the corruption in the Senate before the Republicans took control?

Some notable cases when the Democrats held the power, in case you thought that it was squeaky clean operation.

Jim Wright, 1989

In May 1989, following two intense years of ethics investigations, Rep. Jim Wright (D-Texas) became the first Speaker ever to be forced from office.

Wright, first elected to the House in 1954, came under scrutiny because of charges submitted by Gingrich that included intervening with regulators on behalf of contributors with interests in savings and loans, circumventing outside income limits in a book deal, improperly directing an aide to help write a book for him and accepting gifts from a business partner who allegedly benefited from federal appropriations backed by Wright.

In the spring of 1989, the House ethics committee charged the Speaker with violating 69 rules, and by mid-May it had become clear that censure was inevitable if he remained in office. On May 31, Wright announced he would step down as Speaker and resign from office.

The episode had significant political reverberations. It proved that the Congressional ethics process can provide a powerful political tool to a minority party willing to use it. The aggressive ethics attacks by a then-obscure backbencher helped rupture bipartisan comity and, indirectly, created the conditions for Gingrich himself to become Speaker — and be ousted for alleged ethical failings.

House Bank Scandal, 1991-1992

In 1990, then-Roll Call reporter Tim Burger alerted readers to troubling findings about the now-defunct House Members’ Bank. A General Accounting Office audit had shown that the facility had cashed hundreds of bad checks in a single year, putting the institution at risk for “material losses in the future.”

That initial GAO review turned up $200,000 worth of bad checks. House Sergeant-at-Arms Jack Russ, who ran the House Bank and had been treating Members’ overdrafts as salary advances, made promises to reform the system, which included no written procedures for check cashing. But he did little to actually improve matters.

By September 1991, GAO investigators handed a damning report to House leaders showing that the level of abuse was actually much worse. The audit agency had uncovered more than 4,000 bad checks written by House lawmakers. Two dozen Members had bounced checks worth more than $1,000.

While Russ blamed the excess of bounced checks on Members’ low salaries, the burgeoning scandal took on a life of its own.

Ultimately, 46 Members were discovered to have made 100-plus overdrafts — in effect, using the bank as their own petty cash fund. A report by the House ethics committee in April 1992 named 22 lawmakers who had “abused” their banking privileges, as well as dozens more who had overdrawn their accounts but were not deemed to have abused their privileges.

Voters were unforgiving. The scandal led to the retirement or defeat of more than 50 Members. “Nearly one-third of the House — the stewards of our tax dollars — were all bouncing checks worth more than $1,000, without even having to repay the debt,” said a spokeswoman for the Project on Government Oversight.

Worse, Reps. Albert Bustamante (D-Texas), Carl Christopher Perkins (D-Ky.) and Mary Rose Oakar (D-Ohio) and Del. Walter Fauntroy (D-D.C.) were convicted on House bank-related charges.

As a result of the scandal, the House Bank was shut down. Members and staffers can still do their banking inside the halls of Congress, but they are subject to the strict rules and procedures of the Wright Patman Congressional Federal Credit Union.

Of course, you could come back with Newt Gingrich. But the point has been made. It's no more corrupt now than it was before the GOP took control.

Warham
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
No you haven't. The Senate is corrupt as it ever has been, the Administration is driven by an increasingly unpopular and discredited ideology, and your President can get nothing done any longer. He's blown his wad with his last Supreme Court card to play. Have fun for the rest of this term. Bush has only shown he's a stubborn fool and is incapable from learning his mistakes. It should be interesting with "mandate" boy's public approval ratings continuing to fall precipitously...

Bush never cared about the ratings, Nick, like Bubba did. Bush was elected twice, regardless of that 50% approval rating.

And even if Bush can't get anything else done in this term besides the two (likely) Supreme Court nominations, the next Republican will just take the reigns in three years.

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Bush never cared about the ratings, Nick, like Bubba did. Bush was elected twice, regardless of that 50% approval rating.

And even if Bush can't get anything else done in this term besides the two (likely) Supreme Court nominations, the next Republican will just take the reigns in three years.

All evidence to the contrary, you don't get elected with a sub 50% rating. And did I mention that all of your speculative candidates are virtually unelectable for 08.';)

We hear about HILLARY running, but gee, who are the REPUBLICAN names being mentioned? JEB BUSH?

BUHUHAWHAWHAWHAW!

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 07:33 PM

So, you've been "in control of" the Government since '94?

Did I read that right?

Okay.

SO MUCH FOR YOUR "BUSH WAS ONLY IN OFFICE 8 MONTHS, 9/11 IS ALL CLINTON'S FAULT" ARGUMENT

I'm so glad you're on the record as to being in control the last 11 years.

You sure fucked up alot of shit in 11 years. Asleep at the switch to say the least.

kentuckyklira
07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
It should be duely noted that CHINA really does not have a lot of ICBMs. Says the same "Intelligence" that couldn´t prevent 9/11, and that knew there were WMDs to be found in Iraq!!??

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 07:35 PM

We hear about HILLARY running, but gee, who are the REPUBLICAN names being mentioned? JEB BUSH?

BUHUHAWHAWHAWHAW!

Jeb Bush

Rick Santorum

George Allen

3 candidates any Neo-Con shit-bag would be proud of:D

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Says the same "Intelligence" that couldn´t prevent 9/11, and that knew there were WMDs to be found in Iraq!!??

" We know exactly where they [WMDS] are. They are to the north, south, east, and west of Baghdad"

- Donald Rumsfeld March 2003

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 07:44 PM

You mean the last time CHINA was actually afraid of us?

DrMaddVibe
07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
You mean the last time CHINA was actually afraid of us?

Yeah, but before Clinton gave them the missle technology and whatever else they could steal out of Los Alamos!!!!

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Yeah, but before Clinton gave them the missle technology and whatever else they could steal out of Los Alamos!!!!

The didn't get their tech from Los Alamos, that's a nuke lab. SUNBURN hypersonic anti-ship missiles are RUSSIAN.

Actually, we helped CHINA develop a more western style main battle tank under the Reagan administration, you know, the ones they ran over the students in Tiananmen Square with? They were our anti-Soviet pals then. Are you gonna bitch about that too?

And since CLINTON is supposedly personally responsible for CHINESE espionge in the 90's, is BUSH responsible for RUSSIAN espionge at the FBI, or for terrorism during 9/11? After all, he was president...

DrMaddVibe
07-19-2005, 09:19 PM
You better go back and look at a picture of those tanks...Soviet baby!

LoungeMachine
07-19-2005, 09:20 PM

Nick just bitchslapped the taste of Santorum right out of your mouth.

Nice.:cool:

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 09:26 PM
You better go back and look at a picture of those tanks...Soviet baby!

No no no...Those were the older CHINESE made versions of T-55/56/62 versions. The one I'm talkin' about is this one. It mounts the same British designed L-7 105mm main gun that all US tanks had before the M1A1's US-German 120mm.

Type 80

Notes: Though it has also been referred to as the Type 88 and the Type 69-III, Type 80 is the most common designation for this tank. As one of its alternate names suggests, it is a development of the Type 69 series. Improvements include a more modern ballistic computer, a 105mm gun, a change in suspension including new sock absorbers and 6 smaller roadwheels instead of the 5 larger ones of the Type 69, a more powerful engine, and the deletion of the IR searchlight and the addition of an image intensifier. The Type 80 can lay a smoke screen by injecting diesel fuel into its exhaust, or two banks of 4 smoke grenade dischargers may be fired to create a thicker smoke screen. External fuel tanks may be added at the rear of the vehicle to increase range. A large stowage basket runs around the sides and rear of the turret. The Type 80 is in service only with China.

The Type 80-II is virtually identical to the Type 80, but it weighs 500 kilograms more. It has an automatic transmission and a more powerful American-made radio. It may be intended as a command tank.

Type 85

Notes: This series of tanks marks a dramatic leap in Chinese armor technology, as for the first time, China used composite armor in their tanks. In addition, previous Chinese designs used cast steel turrets, while the Type 85 series uses welded steel with composite plates in the front. The Type 85-II is slightly lighter than the Type 85-IIA and has thinner armor; both use a 105mm L-7-type main gun.
http://www.sinodefence.com/army/tank/type88_1.jpg
The Type 85-IIM is a heavier version with somewhat stronger armor and using a 125mm gun; this gun is autoloaded and the loader’s crew position has been eliminated. The engine is somewhat more powerful.

The Type 85-III is almost a ton heavier than the Type 85-IIM.This is mostly accounted for by a larger and more powerful engine, but the Type 85-III is also equipped with a longer-ranged radio and a GPS system. This version is also used by Pakistan, but they refer to it as the Type-85-IIAP.

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 10:29 PM
BTW, sorry for the tank mumbo jumbo, but I love my pretty panzers:)
http://www.oorlogsmusea.nl/upload/7194040820224938.jpg http://wwiitanks.tripod.com/images/USA-M26_Pershing-01.jpg http://www.artcom.com/Museums/vs/gl/300.jpg http://www.usd230.k12.ks.us/espictt/military%20stuff/T34%20Soviet2.jpg

tjvhou812
07-19-2005, 10:32 PM
does it seem cold in here to you

Nickdfresh
07-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
does it seem cold in here to you
:D

Actually it's rather hot and humid at the moment.