PDA

View Full Version : Another Explosion in London

BigBadBrian
07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Just heard on the news there may have been another explosion in a train station in London. Details are still sketchy at this time. Still developing...

BigBadBrian
07-21-2005, 08:28 AM
The BBC is reporting three train stations have been evacuated. Smoke is coming out of one.

jero
07-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Warren Street, Oval and Shepherd's Bush stations!!

diamondD
07-21-2005, 08:41 AM
A witness says a rucksack exploded on the subway. So far no injuries reported.

diamondD
07-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Now they are reporting a nail bomb possibly on a bus. Wild times in London.

BigBadBrian
07-21-2005, 08:45 AM
July 21, 2005

Incidents reported at three Tube stations and on bus
By Philippe Naughton, Times Online

Emergency services were called out to incidents at three different Tube stations in London today, including a reported nailbomb attack at Warren Street Tube.

A British Transport Police spokeswoman said Warren Street, Shepherds Bush and Oval stations had all been evacuated, and nearby buildings emptied. She said the incidents were "ongoing".

An explosion was also reported on a bus at Hackney in East London.

Police sources said that there were no reports of any casualties at this stage.

Passengers at Warren Street, on the Victoria line, reported seeing smoke. One passenger who had been passing through Warren Street told Sky News that another passenger's rucksack had exploded on the train - although he said that no-one was injured, including the passenger in question.

Services on the Victoria, Northern and Hammersmith and City lines were suspended following the incidents. London fire brigade said that there were reports of smoke coming from Oval station, which crews were investigating.

"I can confirm that emergency services are responding to reports of three incidents on the London Underground," a Scotland Yard spokeswoman said. "They are Oval, Warren Street and Shepherd's Bush."

Sosiane Mohellavi, 35, was travelling from Oxford Circus to Walthamstow when she was evacuated from a train at Warren Street - which is just a few hundred yards from King's Cross.

"I was in the carriage and we smelt smoke - it was like something was burning. Everyone was panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking," Ms Mohellavi said. "We pulled into Warren Street and were evacuated. It was horrible," she said.

The incidents come exactly two weeks after four suicide bombers blew themselves up on three Tube trains and a London bus, killing more than 50 people.

Ivan McCracken, a passenger on a Victoria line train at Warren Street station, smelled smoke and described "extremely frightened" passengers running into his carriage after a small explosion occurred in a man's rucksack.

Mr McCracken spoke to a witness who was in the carriage where the explosion happened, and said: "There was this man, a man who was a young man, who was holding or wearing a rucksack, I don't know if he was standing or sitting. The rucksack was blown open by the force of the explosion, or whatever it was. The man looked extremely dismayed, alarmed and made some exclamation, I don't know what it was.

"The train was only 15 seconds from pulling into Warren Street when this happened, so we arrived normally and there was an orderly evacuation. The escalators were working," Mr McCracken told Sky News.

The Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22989-1702712,00.html)

jero
07-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Fucking assholes!!

LoungeMachine
07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Reports are a possible bomber suspect in hospital.

It was 1 pm there?

All of the previous attacks, Madrid and NY included, happen around 9am

strange. Lame amateur copycat perhaps?

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Reports are a possible bomber suspect in hospital.

It was 1 pm there?

All of the previous attacks, Madrid and NY included, happen around 9am

strange. Lame amateur copycat perhaps?

Speculation is rampant that it may have been a prank, carried out in order to protest London's perceived lack of preparedness for another bombing.

BigBadBrian
07-21-2005, 04:12 PM
London blasts cause chaos on Tube

Emergency services in protective clothing were deployed at the bus site
London's Tube network has been plunged into chaos with stations cleared after minor blasts on two trains and a bus.
Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair said three Tube lines were suspended but it was time London returned to normal.

The minor explosions - two weeks after blasts killed 56 - involved detonators only, a BBC reporter said. There was one injury.

Police sources say the blasts may have been near simultaneous and that they are being linked with the 7 July bombs.

They say a number of fugitives are being sought. Two people have been arrested in Whitehall.

Detectives are recovering a lot of evidence from the sites, and believe the latest events may either be a repetition of the 7 July attacks or may help with a breakthrough in the investigation.

Eyewitnesses heard bangs and saw abandoned rucksacks at the sites of the incidents at Warren Street and Oval tube stations as well as the number 26 bus in Bethnal Green.

There was an attempt to cause an explosion at Shepherd's Bush Hammersmith and City line, police said.

Police told reporters that a man had threatened to blow himself up and then ran off.

At Warren Street and Oval a man was seen running away from the scene.

On the bus, there were no injuries and the bus suffered no structural damage.

Large areas around all four sites were cordoned off. Tests for chemical, biological and radiological weapons proved negative.

One person was injured at Warren Street. There were reports the injured person may have been holding a rucksack containing the detonator.

In other developments:-

The whole of the Northern Line has been suspended, along with the Hammersmith and City line.

University College Hospital was cordoned off twice, with armed police entering the building. There were reports they were searching for a suspect from the Warren Street incident.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, Sir Ian Blair, Lord Chancellor Lord Falconer, Attorney General Lord Goldsmith, Immigration Minister Des Browne and Transport Secretary Alistair Darling attended Downing Street for a meeting with the prime minister.

There were also alerts at Wood Lane in Shepherd's Bush, around St Paul's and, outside London, at St Albans station.

A number of other stations were closed during the alert, including Great Portland Street, Westminster, Waterloo, St Paul's and Oxford Circus tube stations, as well as Waterloo tube station and King's Cross Thameslink.

Sir Ian appealed for witnesses with mobile phone pictures of any of the incidents to visit the www.police.uk website.

Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "We can't minimise incidents such as this because they obviously have been serious in the four different places as we know.

"I think all I'd like to say is this that we know why these things are done, they're done to scare people and to frighten them, to make them anxious and worried."

Police have set up cordons round the stations

Sofiane Mohellebi, 35, was travelling from Oxford Circus to Walthamstow when she was evacuated from a train at Warren Street.

"I was in the carriage and we smelt smoke - it was like something was burning. "Everyone was panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking."

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4703777.stm)

FORD
07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
This was likely a dummy operation designed to keep the fear level up.

Problem is that the Brits went through all this shit before with the IRA, so they aren't buying into the fear.

Warham
07-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by FORD
This was likely a dummy operation designed to keep the fear level up.

Problem is that the Brits went through all this shit before with the IRA, so they aren't buying into the fear.

Then it wouldn't make sense to do it in the first place, unless you are some fundamental extremist.

VonHalen
07-21-2005, 04:34 PM
thats fucked up

Soul Reaper
07-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Just heard on the news there may have been another explosion in a train station in London. Details are still sketchy at this time. Still developing...

i heard this afternoon.

this is awful!!

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Jul 21, 6:30 PM EDT

Two Arrested in London Subway, Bus Blasts

By DANICA KIRKA
Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRITAIN_UNDERGROUND?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME) Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/X/XLST10707211747-big.jpg
A police officer gives directions to the public who found their way leading to Hackney Road blocked off , in east London, where a double decker bus was abandoned, Thursday, July 21, 2005. Explosions shut down three underground train stations and hit a double-decker bus just after midday Thursday, authorities said. They reported one casualty. The explosions that struck London underground trains and a bus Thursday appeared less sophisticated than the deadly attacks that hit the British capital two weeks ago, terrorism experts said. (AP Photo / Sang Tan)

LONDON (AP) -- Police in London have arrested two men in connection with four attacks on three subway trains and a double-decker bus on Thursday, a scene hauntingly similar to deadly explosions set off by four suicide bombers exactly two weeks before. It was an inescapable message that life in London now means living with the threat of terror.

The explosive devices were either faulty or too small to cause bloodshed, and the only reported injury turned out to be an asthma attack. But the lunch-hour blasts rattled a capital already on edge after the July 7 explosions, which killed 52 people and four suicide bombers.

Police said one man was detained near Downing Street, site of the prime minister's residence; the other was picked up near Tottenham Court Road, close to the Warren Street subway station where one attack took place.

"We can't minimize incidents such as this," Prime Minister Tony Blair said. "They're done to scare people, to frighten them and make them worried."

They did that.

Authorities said it was too early to determine whether the attacks were carried out by the same organization as the July 7 blasts - or whether they were linked to al-Qaida.

"Clearly, the intention must have been to kill," Police Commissioner Ian Blair told reporters. "You don't do this with any other intention. And I think the important point is that the intention of the terrorists has not been fulfilled."

Londoners fled the three Underground stations at midday, some sprinting barefoot after leaving their shoes behind in the scramble.

Witnesses on the Underground heard a pop like a bursting champagne cork. Others smelled an odor like burning rubber. At least one reported a minor explosion in a man's backpack, and then the man muttering that something had gone wrong.

Bus passengers reported a bang on the upper level, where windows were blown out. But some witnesses said the blast wasn't loud. Witnesses first saw the police running up the road, followed soon after by news cameramen lugging tripods.

The prime minister appealed for calm, and a Buckingham Palace garden party for 8,000 people, hosted by Queen Elizabeth II, went ahead.

But even among the famously stoic British, nerves were on edge.

"When I got home, my hands were shaking," said 24-year-old Lisa Chilley, who uses the targeted Oval station. "I'm panicking like hell. It's just too close to home."

Firefighters and police with bomb-sniffing dogs sealed off city blocks and evacuated rows of restaurants, pubs and offices.

Britain's Press Association news agency reported detectives were working on the belief that the bombs were not properly primed - which could help explain the limited damage.

Although authorities did not say how many devices exploded, Paul Beaver, an independent defense expert, said an official told him it appeared that two bombs detonated and two others did not. Detonators are often faulty on commercial and military explosives, he said.

"These attacks don't look like they were a hallmark of any one group," Beaver told The Associated Press. "They don't fit into any clear patterns that we know of except they were timed."

One of the greatest police fears is that an audacious attack will inspire similar attacks, said Rachel Bronson, director of Mideast Studies at the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations. "It's all done to sow terror, and there's nothing more terrifying than bombs followed by bombs," she said.

Alarmingly, it appears the group was able to attack in the midst of an intense investigation of the previous bus and train bombings. Often such follow-up attacks are uncovered and thwarted, Bronson said.

"What is very worrisome, London intelligence, which is among the best in the world, was not only surprised two weeks ago, but they're surprised by this," she said.

Emergency teams were sent to the three Underground stations after the attacks, and the police commissioner said forensic evidence collected could provide a "significant break."

In one closely watched development, an armed police unit entered University College hospital shortly after the blasts. Sky News TV reported that police were searching for a man with a blue shirt with wires protruding from his pocket. Officers asked employees to look for a black or South Asian man about 6-foot-2.

By late Thursday, the hospital said police had searched the facility but that three small rooms in an unoccupied part of the complex were cordoned off.

The attacks paralleled the July 7 blasts, which involved explosions at three Underground stations simultaneously starting at 8:50 a.m., followed about an hour later by a bomb going off on a bus. Those bombings took place in the center of London.

Thursday's attacks were more spread out and occurred during the lunch hour - beginning at about 12:38 p.m.

The bombs, which targeted trains near the Warren Street, Oval and Shepherd's Bush stations, did not shut down the subway system, only three of its lines. The bus was hit while on Hackney Road in east London.

At the Warren Street station, witness Ivan McCracken told Sky News that he spoke to an Italian who was comforting a woman after the evacuation.

"He said that a man was carrying a rucksack and the rucksack suddenly exploded. It was a minor explosion but enough to blow open the rucksack," McCracken said. "The man then made an exclamation as if something had gone wrong. At that point everyone rushed from the carriage."

Subway passengers smelled something like burning rubber and began racing through the cars of a moving train to get away. The Victoria Line train entered Warren Street station seconds later and hundreds of people streamed onto the street, eyewitnesses told the AP.

Near the bus explosion, firefighters and police, some with bomb-sniffing dogs, sealed off a city block of restaurants, shops and apartments. Residents peered through the curtains of upper floor windows, speaking on cell phones.

With fear spreading to other capitals, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said authorities would begin conducting random searches of packages and backpacks carried by people entering the subway.

But Transport for London, which runs the British capital's bus and transport network, rejected such measures. Spokesman Steve Taylor said it would be impractical to check bags or install airport-style metal detectors and X-ray machines. London buses and subways carry 9 million passengers a day.

"We are running a massive transport infrastructure," he told the AP. "Would people accept an additional 30 to 40 minutes on their journey every morning and afternoon? It would bring the network to a standstill."

Dozens of people living near the attacks were unable to return home by late Thursday evening, and police set up reception areas to help them.

Among those affected was Eileen Moreland, 91, who has lived since 1950 in an apartment complex above Warren Street station.

"I'm feeling a bit shaky because I haven't been very well and I find it difficult to walk," she said.

For some commuters, the new closures would hardly matter. Fethi Brandou, 36-year-old gardener, said he'd be reluctant to take the Underground again- no matter what.

"I wouldn't take the Tube now," he said. "I'll buy a bicycle or walk."

---

Associated Press writers Thin Lei Win, Kate Bouey, Brian Murphy, Beth Gardiner, Jason Keyser, Jill Lawless, Sarah Blaskovich and Michael McDonough in London contributed to this report.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Seshmeister
07-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Witnesses on the Underground heard a pop like a bursting champagne cork. Others smelled an odor like burning rubber. At least one reported a minor explosion in a man's backpack, and then the man muttering that something had gone wrong.

I like to think that if I had been there I would have immediately kicked the living fuck out of the cunt!

At the moment it appears that it was a replica of the last attack but that they fucked up connecting the detonators to the explosive.

Last I heard they'd caught two out the four and no doubt they will get the other 2 soon.

I'm a pretty reasonable guy but I can understand people thinking that it would be fair enough to dip them in pig fat and burn the fuckers.

Technically speaking the UK still allows the death penalty for treason...

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I like to think that if I had been there I would have immediately kicked the living fuck out of the cunt!

Actually I heard on CNN that's exactly what happened to one of 'em. He was sent to a prison hospital I think.

At the moment it appears that it was a replica of the last attack but that they fucked up connecting the detonators to the explosive.

Last I heard they'd caught two out the four and no doubt they will get the other 2 soon.

I'm a pretty reasonable guy but I can understand people thinking that it would be fair enough to dip them in pig fat and burn the fuckers.

Technically speaking the UK still allows the death penalty for treason...

One of the pit falls of suicide bombing, often times the best, most capable people blow themselves up initially. And the inexperienced hacks take over.:)

Mohammed Atta was probably the best of terrorists, and he's gone. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed sent to America before 9/11.

Seshmeister
07-21-2005, 10:26 PM
I wonder if in 20 years time there might be a 'Suicide Bombers Reunited' website...

These cunts are so fucking useless.

It's the same in the Middle East you constantly hear of suicide bombers killing 3 or 4 people.

If I was going to do it I'd make damn sure I took out hundreds.

It gives you hope that evil ultimately tends to lose because it's weakened by it's nature. e.g. Hitler's regime was critically inately weakened by it's own ethos.

Oops I just had a hippy moment...:)

Cathedral
07-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Hey, if someone wants you dead there is only one person who will step up to counter that assault..............YOU!

Don't wait for Homeland Security to come to your rescue, you need guns and ammunition if you want a chance to stay alive.

The government says they are working for you, yet when a threat comes in they build bunkers for themselves, NOT US!
They do nothing about open borders that allow the threats to get to your door, and they work for you?

Bullshit, have you purchased your family gun yet?
Better get to shopping cause you'll regret not having it when you need it. that's "WHEN", not "IF"...........

It's your move, so move, dammit!

Seshmeister
07-22-2005, 12:54 AM
I was wrong they seemed to have missed all four and they're still at large.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 08:02 AM
I was wrong they seemed to have missed all four and they're still at large.

It appears they may have gotten' one of the bastards.

Jul 22, 7:28 AM EDT

London Police Kill Man at Subway Station

By ROBERT BARR
Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) -- Police shot and killed a man wearing a thick coat at a London subway station Friday, a day after the city was hit by its second wave of terrorist attacks in two weeks.

The man died after being shot by officers at the Stockwell subway station in south London, police said.

Passengers said a man, described as South Asian, ran onto a train at Stockwell station in south London. Witnesses said police chased him, he tripped, and police then shot him.

"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked petrified."

Whitby said the man didn't appear to have been carrying anything but said he was wearing a thick coat that looked padded.

Alistair Drummond, of the London Ambulance Service, said paramedics had been called to the station at 10:10 a.m.

Service on the Northern and Victoria Tube lines, which pass through Stockwell, was suspended because of the shooting, British Transport Police said. Stockwell is one station away from the Oval station, which was affected by Thursday's attacks.

Elsewhere, police evacuated one of London's largest mosques after a bomb threat before Friday afternoon prayers.

"Someone phoned our director and said there was a bomb inside," said Mohammed Abdul Bari, chairman of the East London Mosque.

The Metropolitan Police lifted the cordon about an hour later, saying no armed officers were involved, and the incident appeared unrelated to the subway shooting.

More than 6,000 people were expected for Friday afternoon prayers but there were only about a dozen people inside at the time the threat was telephoned in.

Investigators, meanwhile, searched for fingerprints, DNA and other forensic evidence connected to Thursday's attacks on three subway trains and a double-decker bus, which were hauntingly reminiscent of suicide bombings only two weeks before.

The devices in Thursday's attacks were either small or faulty, and authorities said the only person who needed medical attention was a person suffering an asthma attack. The July 7 bombings on three Underground trains and a bus killed 56 people, including the four suicide bombers.

A statement posted Friday on an Islamic Web site in the name of an al-Qaida-linked group claimed responsibility for Thursday's attacks. The group, Abu Hafs al Masri Brigade, also claimed responsibility for the July 7 bombings. The statement's authenticity could not immediately be verified.

The attacks targeted trains near the Oval, Warren Street and Shepherd's Bush stations. The double-decker bus had its windows blown out on Hackney Road in east London.

Jittery commuters already facing cutbacks in service from the last attack faced more Underground closures Friday.

"People are worried, but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen, isn't it?" said Chidi O'Hanekwu, 23. Still, he said he found himself being "a bit more paranoid" on the ride in.

Mia Clarkson, 24, defiantly said she refused to change her schedule. "You've got to keep living, don't you?" she said as she exited the Chancery Lane station after a trip from across town.

Newspapers reflected the city's volatile mood - part defiance, part anxiety.

"Britain will not be beaten," vowed a front-page headline in the Daily Express. "Is this how we must now live?" asked the Daily Mirror over pictures of the attacks' aftermath. The Independent had a similar photo montage and the words: "City of Fear."

Police would not comment on the investigation. Witnesses described seeing men fleeing several of the attack scenes.

The nearly simultaneous lunch-hour blasts agitated a jittery capital.

Police appealed for witnesses to give information and set up a Web site to receive amateur video of the attacks and their aftermath.

"Clearly, the intention must have been to kill," Police Commissioner Ian Blair said. "You don't do this with any other intention."

The London transport agency said the three affected subway stations remained closed Friday, and service was suspended on all or part of several lines. Other lines have been disrupted since the attacks two weeks ago.

Authorities said it was too early to determine whether the attacks were carried out by the same organization as the July 7 blasts - or whether they were linked to al-Qaida.

Saudi ambassador Prince Turki al-Faisal said the attacks had "all the hallmarks" of al-Qaida.

"The modus operandi, the sheer cowardice associated with them and the attacks on innocent civilians - these are all part and parcel of al-Qaida," he said in an interview with BBC radio.

Michael Clarke, director of the Center for Defense Studies at King's College, London, said Thursday's attacks looked "very amateurish."

"It looks like determined imitators who perhaps must have planned this a little while ago ... but it doesn't look quite like the same network behind it," Clarke told BBC radio.

Link (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRITAIN_UNDERGROUND?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME)
---

Associated Press writer David Rising contributed to this report.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 09:20 AM
CNN is reporting that all four suspects have been IDed using the tube's closed-circuit video system.

stilleddiesangel
07-22-2005, 12:27 PM
I live in Leeds, in fact the bombers come from the next street to where I grew up. Not a good atmosphere here!!!

Guitar Shark
07-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by stilleddiesangel
I live in Leeds, in fact the bombers come from the next street to where I grew up. Not a good atmosphere here!!!

Hey Angie, not to change the subject, but since you're from Leeds have you heard of the Mekons? One of my cousins married one of the members of that band.

Mr Grimsdale
07-22-2005, 02:32 PM
"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked petrified."

Only 5? Come on chaps do the job properly.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I think I saw a witness say "it was a lot more than three shots" on CNN early this morning. I think they peppered him.

Warham
07-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Five shots from what I heard, all in the noggin.

stilleddiesangel
07-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Hey Angie, not to change the subject, but since you're from Leeds have you heard of the Mekons? One of my cousins married one of the members of that band.

Hi Sharky, dont remember much of the music but the name is familiar.. were they a punk/rock band?

Guitar Shark
07-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by stilleddiesangel
Hi Sharky, dont remember much of the music but the name is familiar.. were they a punk/rock band?

I'm not sure what you'd call them; perhaps indie, punk, or folk. They started in Leeds about 20-30 years ago and they still perform. I don't actually own any of their music.

stilleddiesangel
07-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I'm not sure what you'd call them; perhaps indie, punk, or folk. They started in Leeds about 20-30 years ago and they still perform. I don't actually own any of their music.

Me neither babe.

Seshmeister
07-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Five shots from what I heard, all in the noggin.

This is berzerk movie stuff for us over here.

You have to understand that cops shoot people maybe only 5 times a year here. To shoot someone at point blank while he is lying on the ground is a new thing for us.

Sounds like it was justifiable. He was followed from an address associated iwth one of the bombers and then broke into a run when challenged and jumped a barrier.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 07:16 PM
This is berzerk movie stuff for us over here.

You have to understand that cops shoot people maybe only 5 times a year here. To shoot someone at point blank while he is lying on the ground is a new thing for us.

Sounds like it was justifiable. He was followed from an address associated iwth one of the bombers and then broke into a run when challenged and jumped a barrier.

Ahh, but SESH you've moved into the murky world of "terrorism," shoot to kill is the norm for that over there.

Seshmeister
07-22-2005, 07:31 PM
True I forgot about the IRA stuff for a minute there.

Assuming it turns out the guy was unarmed and didn't have a bomb it's still hard to argue against though isn't it?

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 07:36 PM
True I forgot about the IRA stuff for a minute there.

Assuming it turns out the guy was unarmed and didn't have a bomb it's still hard to argue against though isn't it?

I assuming they were afraid that he may have had a bomb on him, but have they released any info on this guy? I know he was being followed.

BigBadBrian
07-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I assuming they were afraid that he may have had a bomb on him,

Oh bullshit, they just outright executed him.

:gulp:

Seshmeister
07-22-2005, 08:11 PM
I assuming they were afraid that he may have had a bomb on him, but have they released any info on this guy? I know he was being followed.

Not yet.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, if I was in a situation where I had to apprehend a possible suicide bomber, then I'd shoot first and ask questions later if I felt there was the slightest chance the prick was to set himself off.

Cathedral
07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey, live by the sword, die by the sword.

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 01:54 AM
attention british dudes.....

DO NOT WANDER AROUND WITH A JACKET AND BACKPACK!!!!

especially if you're olive skinned, and bearded.

Seshmeister
07-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Holy shit they got the wrong fucking guy!

Shot man not connected to bombing

A man shot dead by police hunting the bombers behind Thursday's London attacks was a Brazilian electrician unconnected to the incidents.

The man, who died at Stockwell Tube on Friday, has been named by police as Jean Charles de Menezes, 27.

Two other men have been arrested and are being questioned after bombers targeted three Tube trains and a bus.

Police also said a suspect package found in north-west London on Saturday may be linked to Thursday's attacks.

'Tragedy'

Scotland Yard said Mr Menezes, who lived in Brixton, south London, was completely unconnected to the bomb attacks and added: "For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets."

The Brazilian government has expressed its shock at the killing and Brazil's foreign minister Celso Amorim is on his way to London to get an explanation from foreign secretary Jack Straw.

In a statement the government said it "looks forward to receiving the necessary explanation from the British authorities on the circumstances which led to this tragedy".

The shooting is being investigated by officers from Scotland Yard's Directorate of Professional Standards, and will be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The family of Mr Menezes told the Brazilian media there was nothing in his past which would give him a reason to run from police.

Mr Menezes' cousin, Alex Alves, told O Globo television: "I asked that the body be released as quickly as possible, we need to bring him to Brazil, which is what the family wants".

"He does not have a past that would make him run from police," he said.

Mr Alves said Mr Menezes, who was from the city of Gonzaga in Minas Gerais state, had lived in London legally for at least three years and was employed as an electrician. Civil rights groups have called for a full inquiry into the shooting.

Meanwhile Dr Azzam Tamimi from the Muslim Association of Britain told BBC News the police should review their procedures.

"Frankly it doesn't matter whether he is a Muslim or not, he is a human being.

"It is human lives that are being targeted whether by terrorists or whether in this case unfortunately, by people who are supposed to be chasing or catching the terrorists."

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, said: "The police acted to do what they believed necessary to protect the lives of the public.

"This tragedy has added another victim to the toll of deaths for which the terrorists bear responsibility."

Suspicious package

A package was found by a member of the public in bushes in Little Wormwood Scrubs on Saturday morning.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Explosives officers attended the scene. An initial examination suggests that the object may be linked to devices found at four locations in London on July 21."

Police said it would be subject to "detailed forensic analysis".

Police have also raided a house in Streatham Hill, south London, in connection with the failed attacks.

Meanwhile the News of the World newspaper has offered a �100,000 reward to catch the second wave of London bombers.

Scotland Yard said they had been contacted by over 500 members of the public following the release of CCTV footage of four suspects.

Detectives said they were hopeful of useful lines of inquiry coming from the calls and e-mails.

Seshmeister
07-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm glad that police here are not routinely armed...

Shot 5 times in the head while on the ground. That's worse than the LAPD...

Seshmeister
07-23-2005, 10:33 PM
http://www.flaneur.org.uk/b3ta/shirt.jpg

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 11:07 PM
fucking tragic.

ashstralia
07-24-2005, 09:01 AM
why did he run?

wtf?

Mr Grimsdale
07-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Oh bullshit, they just outright executed him.

:gulp:

That's a bit rich. You usually love it when the Israelis do this sort of thing.

Georgevader
07-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
why did he run?

wtf?

Seems he was in the country on an out of date student visa and panicked when he was challenged by the Police.

Mr Grimsdale
07-26-2005, 04:37 PM
the bloody daego

Seshmeister
07-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Spellink?

Nickdfresh
07-26-2005, 08:52 PM
This is a terrible tragedy, very unfortunate. But that's what it is, nothing more. The Brazilian guy had really bad luck and even worse judgement. That being said, the "counterterrorists" apparently were not so afraid of a potential suicide bombing that they tackled him and held him down for the eight shot coup de grat.

Mr Grimsdale
07-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Spellink?

Yeah, I know. Funnily Microsoft Word couldn't help with that and it wasn't in the dictionary either.

So how should it be spelt?

Seshmeister
07-27-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it's diego, as in

You put your left hand in, your left hand out
In out in out, and shake it all about
You do the Maradona and you turn around
He put the English OUT OUT OUT!!!

Ohhhhhh Diego Maradona, Ohhhhhh Diego Maradona, Ohhhhhh Diego Maradona
He put the English OUT OUT OUT

Mr Grimsdale
07-28-2005, 04:05 PM