• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Utah Woman Charged With Murdering Fetus

Utah Woman Charged With Murdering Fetus
    Fri Mar 12, 8:55 AM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By ALEXANDRIA SAGE, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - As Melissa Ann Rowland's unborn twins got closer to birth, doctors repeatedly told her they would likely die if she did not have a Caesarean section. She refused, and one later was stillborn.

Authorities charged 28-year-old Rowland with murder on Thursday, saying she exhibited "depraved indifference to human life," according to court documents. Prosecutors said Rowland didn't want to be scarred, and one nurse told police that Rowland said she would rather "lose one of the babies than be cut like that."

The case could affect abortion rights and open the door to the prosecution of mothers who smoke or don't follow their obstetrician's diet, said Marguerite Driessen, a law professor at Brigham Young University.

"It's very troubling to have somebody come in and say we're going to charge this mother for murder because we don't like the choices she made," she said.

Court documents did not list an address for Rowland, and she is not listed in telephone books for the Salt Lake City area. It could not immediately be determined whether she had an attorney.

Rowland was warned numerous times between Christmas and Jan. 9 that her unborn twins would likely die if she did not get immediate medical treatment, the documents allege. When she delivered them on Jan. 13, one survived and the other was stillborn.

The woman sought medical advice in December because she hadn't felt the fetuses move, documents said.

Regina Davis, a nurse at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake, told police that during a visit there, Rowland was recommended two hospitals to go to for immediate care. Rowland allegedly said she would rather have both twins die before she went to either of the suggested hospitals.

On Jan. 2, a doctor at LDS Hospital saw Rowland and recommended she immediately undergo a C-section based on the results of an ultrasound and the fetus' slowing heart rates. Rowland left after signing a document stating that she understood that leaving might result in death or brain injury to one or both twins, the doctor told police.

The same day, a nurse at Salt Lake Regional Hospital saw Rowland, who allegedly told her she had left LDS Hospital because the doctor wanted to cut her "from breast bone to pubic bone," a procedure that would "ruin her life."

LDS Hospital can't comment on the case because of medical privacy issues and the pending court case, said spokesman Robert Pexton.

The doctor who performed an autopsy found that the fetus died two days before delivery and would have survived if Rowland had undergone a C-section when urged to do so. It was not immediately clear how far along Rowland was in her pregnancy.

She was charged in Salt Lake County with one first-degree felony count of criminal homicide. Rowland was being held on $250,000 bail at the Salt Lake County jail, and was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

If convicted, she could be sentenced to between five years and life in prison.

A spokesman for the district attorney, Kent Morgan, said Rowland is married and has other children, but he did not know how many.

"We are unable to find any reason other than the cosmetic motivations by the mother" for her decision, Morgan said.

Caesarean sections usually involve delivery through a surgical incision in the abdomen and front wall of the uterus. Dr. Christian Morgan, a family practice doctor who regularly performs C-sections at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center, said he had never seen vertical skin incisions performed at LDS Hospital for a first-time C-section.

"Even when you need to get a baby out in minutes, it can still be done in the bikini incision," Christian Morgan said.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Get the latest Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem news of the day. Catch the top stories, sports and weather from the team at WXII12.

Mom Charged With Homicide For Refusing C-Section

POSTED: 10:07 a.m. EST March 12, 2004
    UPDATED: 12:06 p.m. EST March 12, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY -- A 28-year-old Salt Lake City woman woman faces murder charges after allegedly rejecting doctors' warnings to have a Caesarean section to save her twins.

Officials doctors warned Melissa Rowland several times between Christmas and January 9 that her twins would likely die if she didn't have the procedure.

Mom Charged With Murder For Refusing C-Section

One baby was stillborn in January -- and an autopsy found it would have survived if delivered by C-section.

A nurse told police that Rowland refused a C-section and said she'd rather "lose one of the babies than be cut like that."

Salt Lake City prosecutors say the mother showed a "depraved indifference to human life."

A legal expert calls it "very troubling" that officials are prosecuting Rowland.

A law professor at Brigham Young University said prosecuting a mother "because we don't like the choices she made" could affect abortion rights.

Professor Marguerite Driessen said the case could also open the door to charges against mothers who smoke or don't follow their obstetrician's diet.

Utah prosecutors said Melissa Rowland refused the C-section because she didn't want to be scarred.

Rowland is charged in Salt Lake County with one first-degree felony count of criminal homicide. A conviction could bring a sentence from five years to life in prison.

The charges carry a sentence of five years to life in prison.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• OLPMM1
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Jan 2004

They showed her nasty picture here in Utah on the Local News and I have to say I am now sick.

Comment

• Junyore Grades
        Roadie
        • Jan 2004

I wouldn't be here if my mother thought like that. She had a c-section before the "bikini cut" was used, and I've never heard her say it was a sacrifice.
        http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...ertificate.jpg

Comment

• Jesus Christ
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

Anybody know where the Lord might find a millstone to hang around the neck of one who would treat their own child in such a manner?

Comment

• knuckleboner
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

i'm don't like this concept.

technically, i don't see how the law can allow for a murder conviction for an unborn child. to do so, means that you're recognizing that there is a separate life there, prior to birth. and if that's the case, then there's an inconsistency with allowing abortion.

mind you, i'm all for declaring life prior to birth and changing the law. i just don't like the inconsistency this kind of prosecution brings to the existing laws.

and oh yeah, fuck that bitch.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
              Anybody know where the Lord might find a millstone to hang around the neck of one who would treat their own child in such a manner?

Passing judgement.. hypochrist ??

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                Passing judgement.. hypochrist ??
                Uh, Gregory, art thou forgetting, that I *am* the Judge?

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

I can't hardly read stuff like this. It gets my blood pressure up, and depresses me at the same time. I simply can't imagine the loss of a baby. I don't know how people handled it when infant mortality was so high (and is still high in many parts of the world). And to have a dumb bitch like this breeding... Here goes the blood pressure again.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Appalling.

A c-section scar is pretty tiny and hidden anyway...

I can only be comforted by the fact that god knows what her offspring would be like.

You also wonder how the father could have got wood in the first place but then I wonder that a lot wandering around maternity hospitals...

Cheers!

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

They'll probably convict her in Utah,the appeals will get interesting.She's obviously completely nuts.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

You also wonder how the father could have got wood in the first place but then I wonder that a lot wandering around maternity hospitals...

Boy, if that isn't the truth.
                        “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

anyone read this article? Some old stuff, some new, interesting stuff

Utah woman denies she shunned C-section

She stands charged with murder
                          after one twin died before delivery

SALT LAKE CITY - A woman accused of murder because she allegedly avoided a Caesarean section that could have saved her unborn twin has denied the charge, saying she already had scars from earlier C-sections.

Her attorney, meanwhile, said she had a long history of mental illness.

Melissa Ann Rowland, 28, was charged Thursday of showing “depraved indifference to human life” by ignoring medical advice to deliver her twins by C-section because she didn’t want to be scarred. One nurse told police Rowland said she would rather “lose one of the babies than be cut like that.”

But Rowland told Salt Lake City radio station KSL from jail that “I already have a pretty nasty scar, it doesn’t matter at all now,” The Salt Lake Tribune reported.

Attorney says client has ‘major mental illness’
                          Her attorney, Michael Sikora, called a C-section major surgery and told the Tribune “it would come as no surprise that a woman with major mental illness would fear it.”

The documents allege that Rowland was warned numerous times between Christmas and Jan. 9 that her unborn twins would likely die if she did not get immediate medical treatment, the documents allege. When she delivered them on Jan. 13, the twin girl survived but the boy died.

Shortly afterward, Rowland was jailed on a child endangerment charge involving the surviving twin, who has been adopted by a family Rowland knows.

Rowland told the radio station she has two other children who live with their grandparents in Virginia. Sikora said Rowland moved to Utah with a boyfriend and is either divorced or estranged from her husband. She lives in the Salt Lake City suburb of West Jordan.

A spokesman for the district attorney, Kent Morgan, had said earlier that Rowland was married.

Case could affect abortion rights debate
                          The case could affect abortion rights and open the door to the prosecution of mothers who smoke or don’t follow their obstetrician’s diet, said Marguerite Driessen, a law professor at Brigham Young University.

“It’s very troubling to have somebody come in and say we’re going to charge this mother for murder because we don’t like the choices she made,” she said.

The woman sought medical advice in December because she hadn’t felt the fetuses move, documents said.

Regina Davis, a nurse at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake, told police that during a visit there, Rowland was recommended two hospitals to go to for immediate care. Rowland allegedly said she would rather have both twins die before she went to either of the suggested hospitals.

On Jan. 2, a doctor at LDS Hospital saw Rowland and recommended she immediately undergo a C-section based on the results of an ultrasound and the fetus’ slowing heart rates. Rowland left after signing a document stating that she understood that leaving might result in death or brain injury to one or both twins, the doctor told police.

Defendant allegedly feared operation would ‘ruin her life’
                          The same day, a nurse at Salt Lake Regional Hospital saw Rowland, who allegedly told her she had left LDS Hospital because the doctor wanted to cut her “from breast bone to pubic bone,” a procedure that would “ruin her life.”

LDS Hospital can’t comment on the case because of medical privacy issues and the pending court case, said spokesman Robert Pexton.

The doctor who performed an autopsy found that the fetus died two days before delivery and would have survived if Rowland had undergone a C-section when urged to do so. It was not immediately clear how far along Rowland was in her pregnancy.

She was charged in Salt Lake County with one first-degree felony count of criminal homicide. Rowland was being held on $250,000 bail at the Salt Lake County jail, and was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

If convicted, she could be sentenced to between five years and life in prison.

“We are unable to find any reason other than the cosmetic motivations by the mother” for her decision, Morgan said.

Caesarean sections usually involve delivery through a surgical incision in the abdomen and front wall of the uterus. Dr. Christian Morgan, a family practice doctor who regularly performs C-sections at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center, said he had never seen vertical skin incisions performed at LDS Hospital for a first-time C-section.

“Even when you need to get a baby out in minutes, it can still be done in the bikini incision,” Christian Morgan said.

linkie
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

my favorite parts include:

Her attorney, meanwhile, said she had a long history of mental illness.
                            Her attorney, Michael Sikora, called a C-section major surgery and told the Tribune “it would come as no surprise that a woman with major mental illness would fear it.”
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...