PDA

View Full Version : Rock Star: Van Halen

Unchainme
07-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Recently I watched This Rock Star: INXS, And boy Did I wanna Hurl. The saddest part is when they make them dress up with designers and shit, God That pisse me off, Rock Stars don't get dressed up by Designers, Pop Stars Do! Never the less CBS is making INXS into a Fucking joke. Which got me thinking If CBS turns this into a series who would be there next target? Well Van Halen of course :Pukes:, Knowing Ed and Al and there money grabbing ego, they will do this and try to make money rather than have Diamond reunite with them, and If they do, do this, Ed better be wearing a cup because I will personally kick his ass. Do you realze that if this were to happen Ed were to take the Van Halen name to a new low, If were to hypotheticlly happen it would make VH3 look like Fair Warning. I'm praying to God this show gets cancelled so we don't have to be subjected to this living hell.

POJO_Risin
07-23-2005, 12:42 AM
If Ed and Al were trying to make money...they'd actually DO SOMETHING...

this will never happen...no way Ed gets involved with something that actually puts them in the public eye...

It will never...ever happen...

FORD
07-23-2005, 12:49 AM
I doubt it would ever happen, but I'm just imagine Eddie talking to the constestants like the INXS members are doing...

"Dude, you got a Hell of a stage presence man, you really know how to work a crowd"

Thanks, Eddie. That's a real compliment coming from....

"Hey, just knock that shit off, alright? I'm Edward Van Halen, and this is MY band. I don't have to share the fuckin spotlight with anybody. If I wanted that, I'd call Dave. You're out!!"

qtipp
07-23-2005, 12:49 AM
I think this thread should rank among the highest of ass-clown worries.

Sticky....
Double Sticky....
Schwiiiiiiiiiiing

You Rock man:P

Unchainme
07-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I doubt it would ever happen, but I'm just imagine Eddie talking to the constestants like the INXS members are doing...

"Dude, you got a Hell of a stage presence man, you really know how to work a crowd"

Thanks, Eddie. That's a real compliment coming from....

"Hey, just knock that shit off, alright? I'm Edward Van Halen, and this is MY band. I don't have to share the fuckin spotlight with anybody. If I wanted that, I'd call Dave. You're out!!"

There'd probably be Scandal where one of the comtestants bribes Ed with a Keg.

David Lee Rocks
07-23-2005, 01:00 AM
yeah, lets impeach Bush, that tool

David Lee Rocks
07-23-2005, 01:00 AM
oops, wrong thread!! hehehhe

mewisemagic
07-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by qtipp
I think this thread should rank among the highest of ass-clown worries.

Sticky....
Double Sticky....
Schwiiiiiiiiiiing

You Rock man:P WTF,Is Your Point?

Thorman
07-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Sammy should front INXS...that would be awesome!!

BAM

Panamark
07-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Sammy's enjoying his finest hour as we speak.

Its good to see him back.

twonabomber
07-23-2005, 07:42 AM
the show's not that bad, a lot better than pop drivel like American Idol. the house band doesn't sound like a karaoke tape.

i can't see Ed and Al being complimentary to people. instead of saying "you're just not right for our band," Ed would be telling people "get the fuck off the stage" and shit.

qtipp
07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by mewisemagic
WTF,Is Your Point?

My point is this:

Worrying that Van Halen has any integrity left to diminish by doing a reality show is silly.
They lost every remaining shred of it in 96, every member of both versions of the band.

Roth should also stop being a fucking nostalgia act. He needs to suck it up & hire some people to help him write & produce another rock album instead of more of the gay ass show tunes he likes to make. Otherwise, he should retire from entertaining & focus on being a paramedic only.
He's even started to sing all of the great old CVH tunes like fucking Tom Jones or some other Vegas lounge lizard. Yankee Rose & some of the other EARLY solo work were just as good as CVH for me.

That's my point...
Now wash your hands & fix me a sandwich, I'm James Brown biatch.

SloBurn
07-23-2005, 07:25 PM
INXS will have to learn that there is NO replacing Michael Hutchence, just like Dave can never be replaced. While there is always a chance(however small) to duplicate past SUCCESSES they will never be able to reach the same artistic heights.

They've already tried one other singer, Jon Stevens from the moderately successful (in Australia anyway) band Noiseworks. He's very talented and far and away a better choice than an unknown would be i think - but it didn't work out and why? Because he had too many ideas of his own.

Sound familiar?

FORD
07-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SloBurn
INXS will have to learn that there is NO replacing Michael Hutchence, just like Dave can never be replaced. While there is always a chance(however small) to duplicate past SUCCESSES they will never be able to reach the same artistic heights.

They've already tried one other singer, Jon Stevens from the moderately successful (in Australia anyway) band Noiseworks. He's very talented and far and away a better choice than an unknown would be i think - but it didn't work out and why? Because he had too many ideas of his own.

Sound familiar?

Jon Stevens didn't work out because he sucked.

Now the disclaimer there is that I never heard Noiseworks, so I don't know what he sounded like with his own band. But in INXS, he was terrible. Apparently Terrence Trent D'arby sang with them for a while too, but I didn't hear any of that.

It's true that Michael Hutchence *is* INXS just as David Lee Roth *is* Van Halen. But it's just as true that Bon Scott *is* Ac/Dc, yet they managed to reinvent themselves. And I'll never consider them the same band with Brian Johnson, but you can't deny they have done well for themselves. Unlike Van Hagar, for example.

This being the case, I won't pass judgment on INXS until I hear the final product. But in either case it won't be the same band that recorded "Don't Change" or "We Are The Vegetables".

SloBurn
07-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Jon Stevens didn't work out because he sucked.

Now the disclaimer there is that I never heard Noiseworks, so I don't know what he sounded like with his own band. But in INXS, he was terrible. Apparently Terrence Trent D'arby sang with them for a while too, but I didn't hear any of that.

It's true that Michael Hutchence *is* INXS just as David Lee Roth *is* Van Halen. But it's just as true that Bon Scott *is* Ac/Dc, yet they managed to reinvent themselves. And I'll never consider them the same band with Brian Johnson, but you can't deny they have done well for themselves. Unlike Van Hagar, for example.

This being the case, I won't pass judgment on INXS until I hear the final product. But in either case it won't be the same band that recorded "Don't Change" or "We Are The Vegetables".

See, the way i see it is - Michael Hutchence elevated his fellow band members to where it SEEMED they were on a par with him, but they never, ever were. Not to dis' them but musically, they were never groundbreaking and only occaisionally, accidentally brilliant.

So (in my opinion) the way you saw INXS with Jon Stevens out front is the same way they will be with almost ANYBODY else - mutton dressed up as lamb!

Btw, they played only one show with TTD and apparantly he didn't 'feel' right.

Unchainme
07-23-2005, 09:39 PM

Come To think Of it out of all the bands that have had to replace Lead Singers, The most successful was Brian Johnson for Bon Scott For AC/DC, Even though They know they'll be the same band they were with Bon, But they stayed true to their fans and wrote NO POWER BALLADS I have the most respect for them beacuase of this, and this why they are one of My top 5 favorite bands.

Wonder Twins
07-24-2005, 10:45 AM
I enjoy INXS rockstar. Howvere, the band is nothing without hutchence and the whole premise of a new leader singer is retarded. As far as teh show with VH. That would be the ultimate disgrace to one of the most colorful bands in rock history. We all know eddie and al are fucked up, but that would be a level that they would not even rsort to. I HOPE.

Brett
07-24-2005, 01:52 PM
INXS was already a joke, so who cares. Does anyone even know the other members of that band, or care?

twonabomber
07-24-2005, 02:06 PM
yes, and yes.

i'm not expecting INXS to have another year like 1988, and another album like Kick...but i dig their music.

Brett
07-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Twona, you actually know who those guys are?

twonabomber
07-24-2005, 02:21 PM
my collection of INXS discs and swag is about equal to my collection of DLR/VH swag. as i've said many times, i was an avid New Waver back in the day, and i'm not ashamed of it.

Brett
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I had no idea Twona, I stand corrected. But still that's you, you were a big fan. I don't think most of us old farts who were around then know any of the guys in that band besides Hutchinson.

twonabomber
07-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Hutchence. :D

Brett
07-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Seee? LOL!! Actually I knew that was his name, I don't know why I typed that. That name just came to mind fast. :)

SloBurn
07-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
yes, and yes.

i'm not expecting INXS to have another year like 1988, and another album like Kick...but i dig their music.

Totally agree here. John Kalodner might be attached to the project but he won't be able to do for them what he did for Aerosmith.

Being Aussie, i know quite a bit about the band. They were an Australian institution for a great many years. Our music industry is very insular and INXS had a lot of success here before they broke elsewhere in the world.

I like them but those guys should stick to doing soundtacks or something.

katie
07-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Recently I watched This Rock Star: INXS, And boy Did I wanna Hurl. The saddest part is when they make them dress up with designers and shit, God That pisse me off, Rock Stars don't get dressed up by Designers, Pop Stars Do! Never the less CBS is making INXS into a Fucking joke. Which got me thinking If CBS turns this into a series who would be there next target? Well Van Halen of course :Pukes:, Knowing Ed and Al and there money grabbing ego, they will do this and try to make money rather than have Diamond reunite with them, and If they do, do this, Ed better be wearing a cup because I will personally kick his ass. Do you realze that if this were to happen Ed were to take the Van Halen name to a new low, If were to hypotheticlly happen it would make VH3 look like Fair Warning. I'm praying to God this show gets cancelled so we don't have to be subjected to this living hell.

If Dave passed away i bet they would do it in a nano second!

Terry
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
At this point, Van Halen's name has been in the toilet for so long that they might as well try and do something cheesy like that. CVH was the bomb. Always will be, and nothing Ed 'n Al have done under the moniker 'Van Halen' since 1985 has changed that.

All 'Van Halen' have been good for in the last ten years are a couple of laughs. Just like the cliche of the car wreck that everyone rubbernecks as they drive by. If it ain't gonna be Roth singing, I'd rather hear a bunch of unknowns take a stab at it than listen to the Chubby Waboritas shrill whine yelping out a bunch of trite, power balladeering nonsense.

FORD
07-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Brett
I had no idea Twona, I stand corrected. But still that's you, you were a big fan. I don't think most of us old farts who were around then know any of the guys in that band besides Hutchinson.

Count me in. I'm proud to say I own a copy of "INXSive", an early compilation of singles which was released only in Australia. I love that CD as much as I do my AC/DC 6-pack (the original Bon Scott Aussie albums)

Considering Van Halen didn't release an album in 1983, someone else had to make the record of the year, and as far as I'm concerned it was "Shabooh Shoobah"

BOMBER
07-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Totally agree here. John Kalodner might be attached to the project but he won't be able to do for them what he did for Aerosmith.

Being Aussie, i know quite a bit about the band. They were an Australian institution for a great many years. Our music industry is very insular and INXS had a lot of success here before they broke elsewhere in the world.

I like them but those guys should stick to doing soundtacks or something.
You'll probably disagree but I think you are spot on about our music industry being very insular.
I think Powederfinger are a good enough band to make it anywhere in the world but it just won't happen.The same thing happened with Chisel.

MAX
07-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Brett

I always likes INXS going back to "The One Thing" off "Shaboo Shabah" (sp?) when it was played in the very early days of MTV. As far as the members go I remember Hutchence and a shitload of Ferris brothers. lol.

SloBurn
07-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by BOMBER
You'll probably disagree but I think you are spot on about our music industry being very insular.
I think Powederfinger are a good enough band to make it anywhere in the world but it just won't happen.The same thing happened with Chisel.

Why would i disagree i said it in the first place?! Both the 'finger are and Chisel were world class - remember Barnes was considered for VH so someone must have heard him (& i'm not referring to Working Class Man!)

Grinspoon, silverchair, The Living End, The Screaming Jets - all worthy of at least a chance on the world stage but overseas companies are at a loss on how to market them.

Fuck, Seattle had a 'scene' - why can't Australia?

FORD
07-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Silverchair had a hit or two over here. But only because they sounded like they were from Seattle.

Hell, I don't know why Aussie bands have such a hard time catching on over here. I was listening to Ac/Dc and tracking down vinyl copies of import albums long before most people in this country knew who they were. Got into INXS early. Hell I still remember The Angels (marketed as "Angel City" over here so they wouldn't be confused with the glam band Angel)

I'll listen to any Aussie band at least once, as long as nobody named Gibb is involved. ;)

BOMBER
07-25-2005, 02:05 AM
Why would i disagree i said it in the first place?! Both the 'finger are and Chisel were world class - remember Barnes was considered for VH so someone must have heard him (& i'm not referring to Working Class Man!)

Grinspoon, silverchair, The Living End, The Screaming Jets - all worthy of at least a chance on the world stage but overseas companies are at a loss on how to market them.

Fuck, Seattle had a 'scene' - why can't Australia?
I didn't mean disagree on your initial comments,I said I agree with you.
I just have this debate with a few mates over whether or not Powderfinger have the material to make it bigtime.
I'm glad we agree.

SloBurn
07-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Silverchair had a hit or two over here. But only because they sounded like they were from Seattle.

Hell, I don't know why Aussie bands have such a hard time catching on over here. I was listening to Ac/Dc and tracking down vinyl copies of import albums long before most people in this country knew who they were. Got into INXS early. Hell I still remember The Angels (marketed as "Angel City" over here so they wouldn't be confused with the glam band Angel)

I'll listen to any Aussie band at least once, as long as nobody named Gibb is involved. ;)

Hey man, don't hassle the Gibb's!!!:D

If they did a song good enough for Faith No More to cover, well.....

You should definetly check out Grinspoon. Silverchair did sound like they came out of Seattle but since then they've developed thier own style. But imitation is what comes from being ignored for having a sound that's your own.

Little River Band had a lot of success in the states but they were doing the Eagles/E.L.O. thing. Cold Chisel were a great band and are also worth checking out.

SloBurn
07-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by BOMBER
I didn't mean disagree on your initial comments,I said I agree with you.
I just have this debate with a few mates over whether or not Powderfinger have the material to make it bigtime.
I'm glad we agree.

Powderfinger are world class. The world just hasn't worked it out yet!

LockedandLoaded
07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
INXS Kicks Ass! Kirk Pengilly (sax/guitar), Garry Gary Beers (bass), The Farriss brothers - Andy (keyboards), Tim (guitar), and Jon (drums) are all great musicians. It's too bad Michael Hutchence died. I don't see how the band can find the right replacement thru a format like RockStar, i.e. American Idol where America picks the new singer. I've noticed that all the singers have a cheesy cruise ship style of singing and performing ala' America Idol.

The majority of the contestants are female, which is typical of the new american TV reality format. Not that I have anything against female singers, but INXS is a male fronted band.

In fact, one of the female singers had a country-rock vibe to her voice. INXS is Rock/Funk, not Country! it's like anything American has to have some jeremiah johnson type of person to be part of the cast, because focus groups find that the majority of americans are of german decent, so they have to cater to the greater population.

I like the comparison to AC/DC, that's how it should be done, like a surprise to the fans, instead of a cheesy contest with crappy singers who have NO SOUL or stage presence.