PDA

View Full Version : DLR guitarist inbetween Vai and Becker..

bigc
07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I was reading a book which had a pretty comphrensive run down of all releases be they singles or albums by all major rock bands, it also had line up changes.

I flicked to look at the DLR section.I was curious to find out it mentioned 2 band members in the early 90s I hadnt heard of. Someone from "ex-steppenwolf and black rose" and another called something like rikki dixx, or something along those lines.

apart from that book, I hadnt heard of them ever. Did they actually exist.It seemed quite a comphrensive book so it would surprise me if it was a n actual error,but I havent heard of either of them ever working with DLR.

can anyone shed any light?

mewisemagic
07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by bigc
I was reading a book which had a pretty comphrensive run down of all releases be they singles or albums by all major rock bands, it also had line up changes.

I flicked to look at the DLR section.I was curious to find out it mentioned 2 band members in the early 90s I hadnt heard of. Someone from "ex-steppenwolf and black rose" and another called something like rikki dixx, or something along those lines.

apart from that book, I hadnt heard of them ever. Did they actually exist.It seemed quite a comphrensive book so it would surprise me if it was a n actual error,but I havent heard of either of them ever working with DLR.

can anyone shed any light? The Only One That I Know Of Was "Rocket Richot"But Im Not Sure Of The Year...Anybody?

bigc
07-28-2005, 02:09 PM
it said in the book april 89 to feb 90..i think

I'll find the book again tomorrow and right down the info.

its just weird...seeing as I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it seemed quite a professional book(foreword by John Peel..all UK readers will know who I mean)

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 02:13 PM
It would have been whoever else is on ALAE besides Becker...Steve Hunter is one.

bigc
07-28-2005, 02:16 PM
nah its not Steve Hunter.

sorry...I'm just curious where this info comes from.

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
ok, the guitar players in question never played in the studio or live, correct?

bigc
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm assuming so. If they were around from early 89 to the start of 1990.

the book could just be wrong..but it seems a bit surprising that such a weird mistake would pop up

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Ok...the Rocket guy claims to have played sessions on ALAE.....I'm not sure if it says in the liner notes.

From http://www.rocketritchotte.com/index.html

"Rocket's hard-hitting, tasty guitar playing gave him the reputation of one of the best guitarists in LA. It came as no surprise that when David Lee Roth needed someone for his band, Rocket was the man to get. The other band members were Brett Tuggle, Gregg Bissonette and Matt Bissonette, all of whom would become best friends for the next decade and help to make "Salute" as fine a CD as it is."

He was the guy in Steppenwolf.

bigc
07-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah...that was one of them

the other was something like rikki someone or other.

the book was right!

i would have taken it out but it was reference only...grrr

Mezro
07-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Desi Rexx

Mezro...played in two other bands: Diamond Rexx and D'Molls...Chicago glam stuff...

bigc
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
thats the one.

what happened to those 2? were they fired or something?

apologies for anyones time ive wasted with this thread, I'm just always curious about stuff to do with DLR and his various bands

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm curious too.

Regarding Desi...from http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/dmolls/dmolls.shtml

"With a new album to promote Rexx unleashed a bombshell; that he was leaving the group in favor of a job playing guitar for David Lee Roth. Shortly after that announcement the band broke-up (ironically, Rexx's new gig lasted a mere eight weeks). "

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
From what I can gather....Desi played rhythm guitar for 8 weeks on the European tour of ALAE...with a guy named Joe Holmes on lead.

I take it that Joe Holmes was Becker's replacement for the tour.

Now someone tell me who played guitar on the YFLM tour! :D

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by bigc
thats the one.

what happened to those 2? were they fired or something?

apologies for anyones time ive wasted with this thread, I'm just always curious about stuff to do with DLR and his various bands

If memory serves me correct...in Dave's book, he metioned musicians that would ask for more money while in the middle of a tour, putting him in a bind.

I bet thats the case with Desi...he was hired as just a touring musician, and was probably expecting a "Vai paycheck". :D