• Apr 2004

State (CA) rejects e-voting system

I guess all hope isn't lost...

Article Last Updated: 7/29/2005 09:27 AM

State rejects e-voting system
    Counties scramble to replace Diebold machines

By Ian Hoffman, STAFF WRITER

Inside Bay Area

After possibly the most extensive testing ever on a voting system, California has rejected Diebold's flagship electronic voting machine because of printer jams and screen freezes, sending local elections officials scrambling for other means of voting.

"There was a failure rate of about 10 percent, and that's not good enough for the voters of California and not good enough for me," said Secretary of State Bruce McPherson.

If the machines had been used in an actual election, the result could have been frustrated poll workers and long lines for thousands of voters, said elections officials and voter advocates on Thursday.

"We certainly can't take any kind of risk like that with this kind of device on California voters," McPherson said.

Rejection of the TSx by California, the nation's largest voting system market, could influence local elections officials from Utah to Mississippi and Ohio, home of Diebold corporate headquarters, where dozens of counties are poised to purchase the latest Diebold touchscreen.

State elections officials in Ohio say they still have confidence in the machines.

"Absolutely," said Carlo LoParo, spokesman for the Ohio Secretary of State's Office.

But McPherson's decision did send California counties from San Diego to Alameda to Humboldt hunting for potential alternatives to their plans to use the TSx.

By January 2006 every polling place nationwide must offer at least one handicapped-accessible voting machine — touch screens are one example — and all California touch screens must offer a countable paper record so voters and election officials can verify the accuracy of electronic votes. So far, no voting system has been state- approved that meets both requirements.

"This is a muddle because there is no certified system right now," said Elaine Ginnold, acting registrar of voters in Alameda County. "We have to look at all of the nonoptions."

McPherson denied approval of the TSx after a series of failedtests, culminating in a massive, mock election conducted on 96 of the machines in a San Joaquin County warehouse. San Joaquin is one of three California counties that purchased a total of 13,000 TSx machines in 2003 for more than $40 million and have paid to warehouse them ever since.

For eight hours on July 20, four dozen local elections officials and contractors stood at tables and tapped votes into the machines to replicate a California primary, one of the most complex elections in the nation. State officials watched as paper jams cropped up 10 times, and several machines froze, requiring a full reboot for voting to continue.

Diebold Election Systems Inc. plans to fix the problems and reapply for California's approval within 30 days, company spokesman David Bear said.

"They had 10,000 ballots and 10 paper jams. Obviously that needs to be looked at and addressed, and it will be," he said. "But it needs to be put into perspective."

Elections officials and voting activists said they had never heard of more extensive testing for a single voting system, outside of an actual election. Kim Alexander, president of the Davis-based California Voter Foundation, said McPherson deserves credit for ordering rigorous testing.

Ordinarily, states and the National Association of State Elections Directors approve voting systems after labs hired by the manufacturers perform tests on a handful of machines. The Diebold TSx managed to get through those tests — twice. But none of the testing standards addresses printers on electronic voting machines, even though more than 20 states either require a so-called paper trail or are debating such a requirement.

For years, voters have reported frozen screens and other glitches in the polling place.

"It's always been the voters' word against election officials' and the vendors'," Alexander said. "Now we have real proof right before the eyes of state elections officials."

Reliable voting equipment has been a problem before for Diebold in California. In the weeks before the March 2004 presidential primary, the firm rushed a new device called a voter-card encoder through assembly, testing and temporary state approval. Hundreds of the devices broke down on election day. Without the devices, thousands of voters in two of California's largest counties, San Diego and Alameda, could not vote on Diebold's touch screens. Lines developed, and hundreds walked away without voting.

California withdrew approval for some Diebold voting systems, and company stock sagged. Elections experts said McPherson's decision probably saved the company from a repeat.

In the Bay Area, Alameda and San Joaquin counties had planned to use all TSx machines in the 2006 elections, and Marin County planned to put at least one machine in each of its polling places.

Contact Ian Hoffman at ihoffman@dailyreviewonline.com.

• BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Yeah, let's just count votes on our fingers and toes.

Or, let's have 15 hour waiting lines like they did in Ohio. That sounds like a great plan.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
      Yeah, let's just count votes on our fingers and toes.

Or, let's have 15 hour waiting lines like they did in Ohio. That sounds like a great plan.

The lines in Ohio were because Uncle Tom Blackwell deliberately undersupplied the college precincts with machines, knowing full well there would be a larger than usual turnout.

BTW, while any victory over Diebold is good, it's disturbing that the PROVEN UNRELIABILITY of these machines wasn't reason enough.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Cathedral
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

I've never had the opportunity to even see one of these machines, they haven't shown up in my city.

I'm against the e-voting bullshit anyway. I don't trust my home pc much less one designed for voting.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Let's just think about this logically. With the advacements in technology, do you really think votes will be cast and counted manually in 50 years?

I think not.

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

It's ridiculous, Brian, especially after that hanging chad snafu in Florida in 2000. In any of those Democratic precincts that were being recounted, a person doing the recount could have taken a pencil and 'accidentally' given a vote for Al Gore. Same in any Republican precinct.

Technology is good. Even Howard Dean says only Republicans have time to wait 8 hours in line, so we need to find a way to get Democrats back to work at McDonald's on time.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              It's ridiculous, Brian, especially after that hanging chad snafu in Florida in 2000. In any of those Democratic precincts that were being recounted, a person doing the recount could have taken a pencil and 'accidentally' given a vote for Al Gore. Same in any Republican precinct.

Technology is good. Even Howard Dean says only Republicans have time to wait 8 hours in line, so we need to find a way to get Democrats back to work at McDonald's on time.
              Exactly. Walmart doesn't pay for being late either. Democrats should remember that.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                Exactly. Walmart doesn't pay for being late either. Democrats should remember that.

Well, we'll try to extend the olive branch to our white trash BUSH fawners.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Sorry, I don't find any goddamned humor in the voter fraud and disenfranchisement which led to the ongoing destruction of this country.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

You might not, but it appears Howard Dean does.

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

I got nothing against technology, but rushing into something new before working out all the bugs isn't smart.

And i'm ok with the machines if they leave a trail that can be confirmed in more than one way.

A 10% error rate with only 10,000 ballots being run through represents a disasterous event on the scale of an Official Election.

2%? That would be acceptable, but i'd be cautious even at that.
                      Anything over 5% is a huge red flag.

I mean really, let's understand that an election, especially a close one, could be thrown to one side or the other with a 10% error rate like that.
                      I'd just like the machines to be working properly and be dependable before they do any official balloting.

And it's not like there hasn't been enough time to ensure that it is as efficient as possible.

Then again, if someone rigs the machines, and hacking is a big issue, it doesn't really matter how efficient they are.
                      We need to make the process more efficient than it ever has been since the days of landslide victories are apparently over.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

There's error rates with any means of voting, even normal paper ballots. Errors are going to happen as long as humans are not perfect.

Comment

• Cathedral
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

I understand that, but all i'm saying is that humans are more perfect than what these tests have shown the machines to be.

Plus, with the old way, the paper ballots can be counted as many times as need be to get an accurate count.
                          If a machine goes down and all the votes are lost, then those votes can't be recounted.
                          So the printer comes into play, but if it goes down as well, those votes are gone.

If they can fix them before time to vote, fine with me.
                          But so far they haven't earned any trust that they'll be dependable.

And then there is still the hacking issue, i just don't trust anyone basically, lol.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                            I understand that, but all i'm saying is that humans are more perfect than what these tests have shown the machines to be.

Nope, I'm betting on the machines.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't have a problem with touch screen machines as long as the voter is provided a receipt and it is continually verified by poll watchers.

Comment

Working...