PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding VHIII song

Big Fat Sammy
07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Someone showed me a vid, long ago...the 98 Australia one...from the VHIII show with GC singing.

GC is no Dave (of course) but there was one very cool part where they were playing one of the VHIII songs (never bought it, don't know the title) and Ed was ripping a very intense extended solo on something...

I wanna hear this again...just need the title of the song.

It was an uncharacteristic solo for Ed...very raw, blues scale type of thing...anybody know the name?

Thanks...

:)

ALMOSTsaved
07-29-2005, 03:57 PM
It's called "A Year To The Day." Excellent solo. The guitar parts of the songs is the only good part of this album. Would love to have a computer program that removes Cherone's voice.

Big Fat Sammy
07-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Cool thanks!

The few things I have heard from it...Ed sounds better than previous stuff w/ Hagar

Rikk
07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
I always thought the guitar playing in that era was fookin' excellent. That's another reason I'm so mad at the brothers. Eddie was ready to play guitar again, but he gets that idiot Cherone instead of bringing back Dave. Dave plus Eddie in the late 90s would have been a great combination for a new album.

That album has some great playing but horrible, horrible vocals and arrangements. Still better than anything they did with Hagar the Horrible, though.

ALMOSTsaved
07-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I always thought the guitar playing in that era was fookin' excellent. That's another reason I'm so mad at the brothers. Eddie was ready to play guitar again, but he gets that idiot Cherone instead of bringing back Dave. Dave plus Eddie in the late 90s would have been a great combination for a new album.

That album has some great playing but horrible, horrible vocals and arrangements. Still better than anything they did with Hagar the Horrible, though.

I totally concur!

superdave
07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I thought the music for 'Without You' was excellent, just didn't like the vocals

bueno bob
07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
VH3 has some decent moments guitar wise. There's that.

Rikk
07-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, those decent moments guitar-wise are better than almost anything I can think of that they did with Cheesehead. If you get rid of some of the tracks on VH3, wipe off the vocals on the ones that are left, and then add Dave and then a few other new songs with Dave, you'd have a smokin' VH album. When I hear anything off 5150, I'm almost glad Dave isn't around to sing on it. But when I hear anything off VH3, I sit and roll my eyes that Dave could maybe have done something with some of this music.

bueno bob
07-30-2005, 08:34 PM
It's a possibility. 3 had some definite moments of potential. With a new mix, re-structured songs, better production, and the imput of all four of them, anything could have happened. Ed's playing was mostly pretty good, and he certainly seemed to be in the right place for it.

Oh well.

Rikk
07-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Oh well.

That should be the title of Ed's biography.

bueno bob
07-31-2005, 11:14 AM
"Oh Well: The Life and Times of Edward Van Halen
A Study in Failure by Bueno Bob"

Has a ring to it, you think?

DLR_EngineRoom
07-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Someone showed me a vid, long ago...the 98 Australia one...from the VHIII show with GC singing.

GC is no Dave (of course) but there was one very cool part where they were playing one of the VHIII songs (never bought it, don't know the title) and Ed was ripping a very intense extended solo on something...

I wanna hear this again...just need the title of the song.

It was an uncharacteristic solo for Ed...very raw, blues scale type of thing...anybody know the name?

Thanks...

:)

It was a song called 'A Year To The Day', unmistakably.

Great, underrated album - not as good as the Classic 6 but better and more honest/heartfelt than anything Spammy did with VH.

The concert was the same as the CD. Underrated. Ed was playing his best since '84. Only one token song per Hagar album, and that was ONLY because Eddie insisted - Gary didn't want to play any Hagar stuff at all. The rest of the material were GREAT jobs of DLR classics and VH3 songs.

Cherone is, IMO, the most successful Roth fan there is. He's a homeboy. He grew up influenced by Classic VH, opened for DLR on his ALAE tour, recorded and toured with Van Halen for a year....

For the record, Gary did no wrong...any one of us online that had the pipes and the talent to say 'no' to what he was offered, is BSing thru their lying sack o' teeth.......

Last_Child
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Uhm..

The live Solo for One I Want is quite good.

fryingdutchman
08-01-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Rikk

Eddie's playing on the "3" tour was extremely tight. He looked good...he played great.

Agreed that it's a cryin' shame that it had to be Cherone and not Dave.

DavidLeeNatra
08-01-2005, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
Eddie's playing on the "3" tour was extremely tight. He looked good...he played great.

he looks good on the australia videos, right...it's shocking what happened in such a few years to this man...

RuzDNailz
08-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Without you was the better song of the VHIII album in my opinion. Kinda got me back into the whole VH thing. Taught me how valuable DLR was and why the rest of the band needed a kick in the nards.

One thing I can't get over was the fact that they peformed one of my favourite CVH tunes, DTNA when they had GC. Hagar would NEVER have
performed that song with them. Seeing Dave perform it live was good enough for me anyways.

cvawter
08-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Mayday, mayday, mayday...mayday

stilleddiesangel
08-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Cherone gave me the creeps.. however he LOVED singing the CVH tunes and it showed!!!

Wonder Twins
08-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Without you was a great song howvere, the song That's Why I Love you(which was cut from teh CD) may have been better.

SloBurn
08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Man, i live in Australia and saw this tour (THE ONLY VH TOUR EVER, I MIGHT ADD), but where was this one filmed? I'd like to get a copy; but only 'cause i was SO excited to actually see them i got drunk off my ass on goon and can't remember a lot of it!

All i can say in Cherone's defence was that he tried pretty hard and that they opened with 'Unchained' (my favourite CVH tune).

Please if anyone has a link, let me know.

Dave's the MAN!!!

Terry
08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
The band in general were decent on that tour, agreed. But back then the band had something to prove again, after a decade of banality with Hagar. The choice to go with Cherone over Roth needed to be backed up with some solid performances.

Van Halen 3 had some guitar work that showed potential...just didn't care for Cherone's lyrics (or Eddie's, or whoever wrote them), and the production was fucking terrible. The album just SOUNDED so goddamn awful that it was like an endurance contest just getiing to the two or three decent musical ideas Ed threw on there.

zeronumber
08-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Meh, VH3 was...ok...
Guitar wise, it was one of Eddie's better albulms, since eddie made all of the music, gary just wrote the lyrics. But, the majority of the albulm imo sucked. Nearly all the songs sound exactly the same. I guess the reason for that was mostly for the fact that eddie had to make a song from a lyric sheet, where as dave always came up with the majority of the Harmonies and melodies for eddie to work with, and sam wrote most of the songs for the van hagar era.

Anyway, onward to quotes.

Dave plus Eddie in the late 90s would have been a great combination for a new album.

Agreed. Seriously, It dissapoints me that it never happens, espeisally when ever I listen to the final two tracks of the "Best of". They were going in a really cool direction with their music, so one could have only imagined how awesome the rest of the albulm would have sounded like.

Funny you should say that, because frankly, Cherone's voice sounds very similar to that of Sammy Hagar.

Without you was the better song of the VHIII album in my opinion. Kinda got me back into the whole VH thing. Taught me how valuable DLR was and why the rest of the band needed a kick in the nards.

I really liked the song because it wasn't so saturated with flanger and chorus which you would find in a lot of the guitar rigs in both cvh and van hagar eras, plus the insane amount of tapping in the song, and freaky melodies showed that eddie still had it. Too bad though that the rest of the albulm really...well sucked.

[b]If you get rid of some of the tracks on VH3, wipe off the vocals on the ones that are left, and then add Dave and then a few other new songs with Dave, you'd have a smokin' VH album.

By few do you mean 8 right? Because I could think of maybe 3 songs that I liked on that albulm, and the instrumental track "neworld", other than that, I don't see much of the albulm.

Better yet, if they had material that was worked on by Dave for dlr band, and the best of albulm tracks, it would have been an real kick ass cvh albulm.

1- Neworld
2- Without You
3- Slamdunk
4- Can't Get This Stuff No More
5- Me Wise Magic
6- Fire In the Hole
7- Year To the Day
8- Ballot or the Bullet

Perhaps even some choice covers, and yeah, you would have gotten an kick ass cvh albulm.

Hell, when you think about without you, with the exception of the lyrics and vocal work, that song wreaks of cvh due to it's instrumental arrangments. Seriously, that song sticks out like a soar thumb. Sometimes I wonder if that was one of the songs in production for the cvh reunion, but sort of got carried over once eddie and dave parted ways again.

bigc
08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
apparently "thats why i love you" was the only one carried over from the work with Dave in 1996,back then it was called "blood from a stone"

but without out was written the day eddie and gary first worked together. so the ideas musta been as near as complete by the time the sessions with dave ended.

i feel sorry for cherone, I mean, at least he isnt Hagar attitude wise

zeronumber
08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
I feel more sorry for him for the fact that they didn't allow a single cherone track on the best of both worlds release. It's as if he was completely dissmised by van halen.

Seriously, those 3 live tracks where sam covers dave material wasn't an neccessairy addition, they could have added some cherone songs to really catalog all of Van halen's work over their near 30 year existance.

That and the fact that he had huge shoes to fill, and his addition to the band came at a bad time. How do you replace 2 singers that fans appricated, while at the same time, pick up the pieces of cvh after a failed reunion and expet to run with it?

twonabomber
08-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Twins
Without you was a great song howvere, the song That's Why I Love you(which was cut from teh CD) may have been better.

nah. i've heard that song, and it was just a Can't Stop Lovin' You rehash.

they left it off III for good reason...it sucked harder than what they already included on III.

bueno bob
08-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber

they left it off III for good reason...it sucked harder than what they already included on III.

Never heard it...but I do remember some of the Links'ers (back when I lurked there) ranting and raving about how it was the best song ever, some other assorted bullshit...

stilleddiesangel
08-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
I feel more sorry for him for the fact that they didn't allow a single cherone track on the best of both worlds release. It's as if he was completely dissmised by van halen.

Seriously, those 3 live tracks where sam covers dave material wasn't an neccessairy addition, they could have added some cherone songs to really catalog all of Van halen's work over their near 30 year existance.

That and the fact that he had huge shoes to fill, and his addition to the band came at a bad time. How do you replace 2 singers that fans appricated, while at the same time, pick up the pieces of cvh after a failed reunion and expet to run with it?

I gotta agree there, they could have put in Without you and FITH .. out of simple courtesy to Cherone.

bueno bob
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
They knew they were fucked from the moment they stepped on stage at the '96 MTV awards.

Ed and Al KNEW it.

zeronumber
08-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
They knew they were fucked from the moment they stepped on stage at the '96 MTV awards.

Ed and Al KNEW it.

Indeed.

house0paincakes
08-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
[B] Eddie's playing on the "3" tour was extremely tight. He looked good...he played great.

That's because he was SOBER during that album & tour.

zeronumber
08-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Eddie was sober and filled with confidence, because in the first time in his musical career, he wasn't just the guitar player, making music for others, or adding guitar parts for others, he actually wrote all of the music by himself, and co wrote some of the lyrics, it was the first time in vh history that ed had the majority of creative control of the band instead of having to put up with dave or sam's direction. That was mostly due to the fact that Gary was willing to allow eddie have that sort of control without an agrument, where as sam and dave had major control over melodies, lyrics, and which direction the band should or shouldn't go.

It must of been a dream come true to eddie.
Anybody who was ever in a band, and had to play along to music that was already structured, and you had little to no input towards anything, knows how great it feels to do what you want to do, and others co-operating.

The best Eddie ever got out of vh were mike and Al, who were always co-operating with what he gave them....where as with cherone, he had a full line up.

VonHalen
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
it was ok

RuzDNailz
08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
On the back of the album, it had a message from Eddie. It read 'this album is for the fans'. Or something to that effect. Hey, if you guys wanted to do something for us? You know what you coulda done!

The whole Best Of Both Worlds album is a biased album towards Spamuel because of those live 3 tracks. I heard 'Panama' and discovered that it was done sloppy. I"m not spending a fucking cent towards that album.

fatmanwalking
08-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Actually to take Eddie's control even further, I don't believe Mike played any bass on there. People will disagree but there are some chops present on that CD unlike any other VH album.

Spam even said it after when he was doing crap with the bass player a couple of years ago.

I think that the song Ballor or the Bullet was probably written for Dave. Sounds very CVH.

DLR7884
08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by fatmanwalking

I think that the song Ballot or the Bullet was probably written for Dave. Sounds very CVH.

I think you are right. I think it was called "Blood From A Stone."

DLR7884
No, that was "That's Why I Love You," damnit.

TOM_5150
08-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Ed was at the top of his game in the late 90's. If VH would of recorded a full album with Roth (Glen Ballard) producing, it would of totally kicked ass and propelled VH back to the top easily.

ben halen
08-01-2005, 07:36 PM
When I heard "Without You ", I was kinda psyched cause it was a definite departure from Van Hagar. Vocals were tough to take, but not in the same way Hagar's are- you know what I mean. Kinda funky song with some unexpected changes- unlike the totally predictable lyrics and tempo of Van Hagar.
Unfortunately, I could only listen to the album a couple of times before filing it. It's horrible.
I think this album was Eddie's baby, and the negative fallout made him insecure and unconfident to the point of being afraid to tarnish his legacy by taking anymore chances. Between that and his health and personal problems, its not surprising to see him like he is now.

ritetoolforjob
08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
what could old yeller do with any vh music today but ruin it? the dlr band album had great music on it only to to be soiled by talk singing and shitty screams. anyone who thinks that dave added anything positive to that music other than cool lyrics has to be tone deaf. i guess i'm past the point where i shell out hard earned money for shit. some of you here would buy a release of dave farts and find some merit in it!

Nickdfresh
08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ritetoolforjob
what could old yeller do with any vh music today but ruin it? the dlr band album had great music on it only to to be soiled by talk singing and shitty screams. anyone who thinks that dave added anything positive to that music other than cool lyrics has to be tone deaf. i guess i'm past the point where i shell out hard earned money for shit. some of you here would buy a release of dave farts and find some merit in it!

Old yeller? WTF are you talking about?

DAVE added a hell of a lot to CVH like harmonies and a cool, distinctive vocal style that wasn't a Robert PLANT rip-off. Perhaps you don't like his singing style, fine. But then again, why the fuck are you here SHEEP?

RuzDNailz
08-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Old yeller? WTF are you talking about?

DAVE added a hell of a lot to CVH like harmonies and a cool, distinctive vocal style that wasn't a Robert PLANT rip-off. Perhaps you don't like his singing style, fine. But then again, why the fuck are you here SHEEP?

Between you and me nick, I guess some are attention starved.

fryingdutchman
08-02-2005, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
he looks good on the australia videos, right...it's shocking what happened in such a few years to this man...

Indeed. When I first saw those videos....I was amazed at Eddie in his contempo-casual wear.

Looks like the band tried to reinvigorate some style after being led around for a decade by Hagar the horrible and the "tequila-swilling beach bum" look.

I fear that we saw Eddie's last gasp on that tour. I don't know if he can ever recover the form he was in on that tour.

fryingdutchman
08-02-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber

I, too, have heard that song and twonabomber hits it right on the nose.

It sucked...and it was a solid decision to cut it.

Now if they could have only had the same decision-making clarity with "How Many Say I"....then the album may have been salvageable.

I believe that Eddie and Val were reaching the end of the line right around that time, and it seems that EVH was using the music as marriage counseling.

Bad move.

audiospectrum
08-02-2005, 09:22 AM

Just have a little read over the lyrics from VHIII and scope the meaning of the songs, and then the album as a package. Ok now try the same with DLR Band and tell me what you got, ok? Then do it with the music in mind and write down your true feelings. Tell me what meanings and life attitudes you draw from the music into your ears and into your mind. I think your head is below the surface. Let me guess, you're a technical fan right?

DavidLeeNatra
08-02-2005, 09:36 AM

what's wrong with you, dude? too much "wham, bam, amsterdam?"

Terry
08-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by TOM_5150
Ed was at the top of his game in the late 90's. If VH would of recorded a full album with Roth (Glen Ballard) producing, it would of totally kicked ass and propelled VH back to the top easily.

Gotta take exception to that.

Glen Ballard is a puss.

If VH records an album with Roth, they should steer clear of the Ballard/Bob Rock/Mutt Lange school of bringing in outside writers and overproducing the shit out of it. Too much calculation kills the spontaneous atmosphere that always served CVH best.

DavidLeeNatra
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
bob rock produced ALAE and did a good job...

Rebel
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
THe tour was awesome, Cherone checked his ego at the door, and played just whatever. He didn't have to crap up the set with Extreme tunes either, I remember an interview with Gary where he mentioned Ed asking him what solo stuff to put in the set, and he said "None".

DLR7884
08-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
bob rock produced ALAE and did a good job...

Yes, but much like Motley Crue and Metallica, the band was never the same after the first album he did with them.

DLR7884
He squeezed out all he could for one album with each band.

Brett
08-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Ed's playing on the 3 tour was flawless. If you doubt it, go find some boots. He shredded the old stuff, nearly note for note.

The tour were solid performances night in and night out.

rustoffa
08-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
THe tour was awesome, Cherone checked his ego at the door, and played just whatever. He didn't have to crap up the set with Extreme tunes either, I remember an interview with Gary where he mentioned Ed asking him what solo stuff to put in the set, and he said "None".

Remember the story on metalgrudge about Gary cutting his hair off? Some questionable shit about him just bawling his ass off? Fuck, I gotta find that....supposedly Mike had said some shit about them joking that Ed made Gary cut his hair off.

Anyone?

DLR7884
08-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Ed's playing on the 3 tour was flawless. If you doubt it, go find some boots. He shredded the old stuff, nearly note for note.

The tour were solid performances night in and night out.

That's because Ed was still off the sauce at that point.

At a minimum, he was less drunk.

DLR7884
I agree though, Ed's playing was flawless on the VD3 tour.

Brett
08-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Well there ya go. I think he was pretty clean back then yes. Very clear-headed. He played very well on the Balance tour too when he had his head right.

DLR7884
08-03-2005, 12:13 AM
I had never seen any footage of the tour from last year until yesterday...that was really sad to watch.

DLR7884
How bad were his solos?

Brett
08-03-2005, 12:26 AM
See dude the show I went to in LA was really fucking good. He was on. Maybe because he was home, he wasn't wasted as much I don't know. But ask anyone who was there that first night at Staples. He sounded like Ed. He still did meander during his solo, but the songs were tight and Ed was playing fine. Even whipped out the "Hot For Teacher" intro for his solo, and it sounded perfect.

I have seen the bad footage too, I really can't explain why he was fine at that show I went to.

Rebel
08-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Remember the story on metalgrudge about Gary cutting his hair off? Some questionable shit about him just bawling his ass off? Fuck, I gotta find that....supposedly Mike had said some shit about them joking that Ed made Gary cut his hair off.

Anyone?

I don't remember that, but I could believe it. I could see Gary bawling his ass off, if you know what I mean :D