PDA

View Full Version : Rickenbackers

Don Corleone
07-30-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm actually a bit of a Rickenbacker fan, I've played (but never owned) a number of them over the years (including a John Lennon model), but I was wondering what everyone else thought of them?

BrownSound1
07-30-2005, 02:47 PM
I associate them with "jangle" rock because all of those bands use them. By that I mean The Byrds, Tom Petty, REM, etc. The 12 strings have a very distinct sound, and I wouldn't mind having one.

Their basses were very popular at one time, but I haven't seen one used in years.

Big Fat Sammy
07-30-2005, 05:08 PM
The John Lennon model is the 3/4 scale one...could never play that!

They are like a novelty IMO

They come in one flavor...but you can't get that one sound out of any other guitar!

I always think of the Byrds and Tom Petty whenever I see one as well.

sammysucks65
07-30-2005, 08:26 PM
classy basses

bueno bob
07-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I LOVE THEM!

Right now I'm kinda pissed at the company, though, because they're not honoring their warranties, apparently, and as a result, a lot of the local gear shops around me have quit carrying them. Right about as I was ready to buy one, as well...

Cathedral
07-31-2005, 02:45 AM
I like their Basses, just not a fan of the twangy aspect of the guitars though.
They were big with the New Wavers in my town back in the 80's.

Nitro Express
07-31-2005, 03:09 AM
Ricks make me think of Princes slutty guitar player Wendy.

Pie- bread
08-19-2005, 05:58 AM
the basses are preety nice, i've only ever played one in a shop but it was real easy to play and the sound was pretty clean.

Brett
08-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not a bass player but I've heard their basses are pretty nice.

Their guitars just really do nothing for me, not into that look I guess.

zeronumber
08-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Meh, I'm not much of a fan of semi hollow guitars...so I really can't talk to highly about ricks.

Everytime I pick one up, is just to play some bryan adams tunes.

The basses however are phenomal. They have such a smooth, thick, filling sound to them. There are times I felt a brand new rick bass had a better tone than a well aged fender p-bass.

Plus, if it's good for lemmy, it's good for anybody.

Jahuli
08-21-2005, 01:35 AM
John Deacon from Queen played a Rickenbacker Bass when he auditioned for Queen back in like '71. RickenBackers, Fender Precisions and Gibson 'birds are the only basses i like the look of.

Nitro Express
08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I really wanted to screw the girl in the Bangles who played the Rickenbacker. The famouse Rickenbacker basses make me think of Geddy Lee, Rick James, and Lemmy. Rickenbacker guitars make me think of The Beatles and guitar strumming pops queens who I would like to fuck.

DrMaddVibe
08-25-2005, 05:46 PM
What do I think about them?

HEAVY!

They make a Thunderbird seem light!

That said...I'd love to have a Chris Squire Edition!!!!!!!!