PDA

View Full Version : Ok who here can honestly say "I'm not into DURAN DURAN!"

Golden AWe
08-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I've come out of the closet, I can honestly say

I'm a fan!

I've always been!

I listened to them when I was a kid, and I'm still listening to some of their stuff...their last album "ASTRONAUT" was some great pop.

Unchainme
08-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Their Ok, Their a lot better than the pop, we have now a days because they auctually play their instruments. I'm a huge fan of 80's music everything from Heavy Metal to New Wave To Pop to rap, if its in the 80's I'll probably li8ke it (With A Few exceptions Van hagar Sucks). Man MTV must have kicked major ass back then. No crappy reality TV show and Hip-Hop videos. Just music 24 hours a day.

Last_Child
08-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Uhmm...

No, I'm no fan...
Haven't heard much of them either.

Terry
08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
They were ok. Pretty much sucked from Seven And The Ragged Tiger onwards. Wouldn't say I'm 'into' them, though. Like, wasn't any big deal when 'the original lineup' got back together.

bueno bob
08-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Just basically what I heard on the radio back then..."Rio" and "Hungry Like the Wolf", right? I had a buddy of mine who was REALLY into "Ordinary World", but basically because he fell in love with a stripper who was dancing to it...she wasn't half bad, so I could see his point.

On a personal note, though, I guess it wasn't much my thing.

mewisemagic
08-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I Loved the un-edited video of"Girls on film"...That shit was hot1

bueno bob
08-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Oh, yeah...I remember that video now. :D

Reverberator
08-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I fookin larve them .

FORD
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
The worst thing about Duran Duran is that there was too much emphasis on Simon and Nick when it was Andy & John who were the true talent in the band. When they split in 1985 and released the Power Station and Arcadia albums, that question was settled permanently. And then the so called "Duran" albums after that never really sounded right. A couple decent songs on that record in the early 90's. "Ordinary World" or whatever, but mostly forgettable. The Taylors proved themselves as capable ROCK musicians in their work outside of Duran Duran, and though I haven't heard "Astronaut" yet, I would hope that John & Andy had a little more input on the record than the 80's synthesizer fests.

Overall, they were a decent pop band back in the day. I just thought they had potential to be more.

mewisemagic
08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Oh, yeah...I remember that video now. :D How could ya forget...

Rebel
08-01-2005, 02:44 PM
they fuckin suck

Golden AWe
08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The worst thing about Duran Duran is that there was too much emphasis on Simon and Nick when it was Andy & John who were the true talent in the band. When they split in 1985 and released the Power Station and Arcadia albums, that question was settled permanently. And then the so called "Duran" albums after that never really sounded right. A couple decent songs on that record in the early 90's. "Ordinary World" or whatever, but mostly forgettable. The Taylors proved themselves as capable ROCK musicians in their work outside of Duran Duran, and though I haven't heard "Astronaut" yet, I would hope that John & Andy had a little more input on the record than the 80's synthesizer fests.

Overall, they were a decent pop band back in the day. I just thought they had potential to be more.

Yesss...I really fell out of interest after listening to all their oldest albums back in the day...and then totally forgot them during the 90's as they hardly managed to do anything interesting.

UNTIL, last year that is, when I heard some of the new songs...it's not like I shitted my pants because of the reunion, but the "Astronaut" is a good pop album...if you'll find it on Nice Price or something, I can recommend it. The sound of songs like "What happens tomorrow" sounds a bit retro...but there's some of that timeless feeling that only the best pop has...a thing that majority of today's pop fails to achieve.

hollywood5150
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I have never like Duran Duran, Never not in the 80's or 90's, and esp. NOW....

HONESLTY.

so yes many agree, that they are great and/or good but they never moved me.

Golden AWe
08-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Btw, Simon Le Bon is married to her...

Mr Grimsdale
08-01-2005, 04:27 PM
I've always liked their stuff. Ordinary World is an outstanding track, and it's not even with their classic line up.

lesfunk
08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Let's hear it for another great Italian...

VonHalen
08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Wild Boys has got to be there worst song

PHOENIX
08-01-2005, 05:05 PM
I never paid much attention to these guys untill last year. Some good pop at best. Great Bass Player though.

Golden AWe
08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by lesfunk
Let's hear it for another great Italian...

uhhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

Matt White
08-01-2005, 11:47 PM
...Heard some old stuff recently, wasn't as bad as I remembered. I'm a sucker for 80's music........

"Sentimental fool...................................."

twonabomber
08-02-2005, 10:05 AM
i had DD's "Thank You" on earlier. kind of a throwaway disc, but it's not all that bad.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I hate them.

I think they cared more about image than they did about music.

DavidLeeNatra
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
no fucking way...I grew up as a deeply duran duran and depeche mode hater...and haven't changed a bit...

saint
08-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Had a Nostalgia Trip recently, downloaded a lot of D.D cranked it up in the car stereo. Listened to it a couple of times then got bored.

It was good for what it was back in the 80íes haven’t heard any recent stuff though

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
i'm not into duran duran

Full Bug
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
In my school days if you were a guy and liked DD you may have well posted a sign on your head sayin "I'm a fag, beat me up!"
Only the chicks dug that stuff, at least where I lived....

Reverberator
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Hand up who likes Chas n' Dave .

Nickdfresh
08-02-2005, 02:45 PM
I absolutely detested them in the 80's. But I've grown to appreciate them a bit more.

Mr Grimsdale
08-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Are you talking about Chas n'Dave?

Golden AWe
08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
HAHAAHAH!!!

stilleddiesangel
08-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Gotta agree with FORD, saw them on the reunion tour and it was a terrific gig. Andy and John Taylor are awesome musicians. Andy came on the stage with a black suit, sunglasses and a ciggie dangling from his mouth and played up a storm. They of course worked with the late great Robert Palmer and I still love "Some Like It Hot"..

Ah Duran memories!!! God I feel old!!!:D

Mr Grimsdale
08-03-2005, 03:34 AM
Show us yer growler.