PDA

View Full Version : A Page From Pastorious

zeronumber
08-01-2005, 11:15 AM
I was watching mag rack yesterday, and they had a segment titled "Bass by Pastorious" in which in the interview he explains how he practices, by moving his fingers (and alternating fingering) all over the fret board to improve dexterity, which is a pretty cool way of practicing.
I was doing that all day yesterday, and I got to say, my hand and fingers haven't felt this soar since I first started to learn how to play the guitar.

I started off by practicing the melody for "Reelin' In The Years" by Steely Dan, but instead of using my index and ring finger, I used my middle and pinky fingers.

I also tried moving up and down the fret board using solely my ring and pinky fingers.

Hard stuff.
What do you guys make of this practice, and what do you do to challange yourself to become a better guitarist?

cdwillis
08-02-2005, 01:53 PM
That's a cool idea, substituting the middle and pinky fingers for the index and ring fingers. I'm gonna try that with my guitar exercises.

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 02:39 PM
i tried out bass lessons for a week and the teacher was a HUGE Pastorius fan.
he taught me some exercises using that alternate fingering stuff - it wasn't fun!
i learnt a lot about natural harmonics too, something which Pastorius is a genius at...

BlimpyCHIMP™
08-02-2005, 08:28 PM
IF YER FINGERS TOO WEEK IT BEST TO MAYBE ONLY DO THAT 20 MINS AT A TIME AN HOUR APART THE FIRST WEEK

AND DRINK HAMMS BEER WHILE WAITING FOR THAT HOUR

BC!!