Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

BUSH: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught In Schools

Bush: Intelligent Design Should Be Taught

Tuesday, August 2, 2005

(08-02) 04:05 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

President Bush said Monday he believes schools should discuss "intelligent design" alongside evolution when teaching students about the creation of life.

During a round-table interview with reporters from five Texas newspapers, Bush declined to go into detail on his personal views of the origin of life. But he said students should learn about both theories, Knight Ridder Newspapers reported.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The theory of intelligent design says life on earth is too complex to have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must have had a hand in creation.

Christian conservatives — a substantial part of Bush's voting base — have been pushing for the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. Scientists have rejected the theory as an attempt to force religion into science education.

On other topics during the group interview, the president:

_Refused to discuss the investigation into whether political aide Karl Rove or any other White House official leaked a CIA officer's identity, but he stood behind Rove. "Karl's got my complete confidence. He's a valuable member of my team," Bush said.

_Said he did not ask Supreme Court nominee John Roberts about his views on Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion.

_Said he hopes to work with Congress to pass an immigration reform bill this fall, including provisions for guest workers and enhanced security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Bush spoke with reporters from the San Antonio Express-News, the Houston Chronicle, The Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and The Austin American-Statesman.

Link

So? What other unsupportable mythological, magic bullshit should be taught? America: keeping our children ignorant in an increasingly competitive and technology driven world. No child left behind...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-02-2005, 08:10 AM.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Oooh-gaaah!

Ooops! I think I meant Raquel WELCH, not "Barbra'" Bach. No child indeed! Ha ha...

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-02-2005, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I don't see anything wrong with it, if you have several different alternatives, like evolution. The athiests got their way, so why shouldn't the people who believe in a higher power?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
        I don't see anything wrong with it, if you have several different alternatives, like evolution. The athiests got their way, so why shouldn't the people who believe in a higher power?
        It's a waste of time and valuable resources. Kids have enough to learn today, teachers have enough material they can't cover already, without having to be force fed religion derived, creationist euphemisms.

Fucking spare me with the "atheist" evolution crap. If you want to teach kids theology, take it to Sunday school and read the Bible at home.

Americans are ignorant enough when it comes to science....

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth...

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The irony here is that I never believed in Darwinism until they put a Chimp in the White House.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Complex topic.

Overall, the school year is already compressed enough and I think we're playing a dangerous game by virtually dismissing science.

Then again, if parents can have their kids excused from the room for sex ed, shouldn't they be able to have a say in what kind of science they learn?

But here's the provision: if you go with "intelligent deisgn", you forever cede your right to go to your doctor for a check-up, or medical attention. Why? Because if all this design is from someone else, as the Christian Scientists say, then if God wants to fix something, he will on his own. He can create something as complex as the ocular units, then He can fix your ingrown toenail or yourpersistent vegatative state without human/medical intervention.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think the only other countries that teach creationism in schools are the 'Axis of Evil', Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Funny that...

Also maybe some people running about in loincloths streaked with their own shit making ugh ugh noises in the deepest Amazon.
                Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-02-2005, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Better yet, let's take all discussion of how man came into being out of science in grades K - 12. There is simply no need for it. None. Most courses and teachers only give the subject a cursory glance anyway. This is a subject better off left to the college years.

OR......

If people insist on having it in High School, more than one theory can and should be taught.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• knuckleboner
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

the devil is, as they say, in the details:

personally, i've always believed in some form of so-called, intelligent design.

taking the SCIENCE of how the universe began, we can go all the way back to the big bang, but scientists can't tell you what started it. it's impossible.

for me, it makes more sense that some intelligent, all-powerful entity set the big bang in motion intentionally, than thinking that it all just occurred randomly out of nothing.

nonetheless, science does not, and CAN NOT point to that. there is no evidence, whatsoever to support it.

it's either faith or speculation, depending on how you look at it. but neither belong in a scientific debate without at least some evidence to bolster them.

by themselves, evolution and the big bang do not preclude there being a higher power that set things in motion. (in fact, it's what i personally believe.) but currently, that's a concept more suited to the spiritual arena, rather than the schoolhall.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                      for me, it makes more sense that some intelligent, all-powerful entity set the big bang in motion intentionally, than thinking that it all just occurred randomly out of nothing.
                      But that begs the question of where the "intelligent, all-powerful entity" came from -- did it just occur randomly out of nothing?

I agree with you that science cannot answer either of these questions.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                        But that begs the question of where the "intelligent, all-powerful entity" came from -- did it just occur randomly out of nothing?

I agree with you that science cannot answer either of these questions.
                        But I can

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                          Better yet, let's take all discussion of how man came into being out of science in grades K - 12. There is simply no need for it. None. Most courses and teachers only give the subject a cursory glance anyway. This is a subject better off left to the college years.

OR......

If people insist on having it in High School, more than one theory can and should be taught.

But it's ok to start the indoctrination of superstitions when they are only 3 years old?

The fact that a lot people escape from it despite that, shows how silly it all is.

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Teach all points of view or teach nothing, that's what i say.
                            Until science can prove how it all started they can't disprove the existance of God any more than they can prove he does.

5 year olds are like a computer in the respect that they do what they are programmed to do until around age 13, then they rebell.

So cover all the bases and let them grow up to make their own decisions.
                            All of mankind is flawed and led by it's own individual understanding.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

So teach them Jesterstar's view on how to spell?

Comment

Working...