PDA

View Full Version : Fucking ridiculous! 14 More Marines Butchered!

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Aug 3, 7:31 AM EDT

14 Marines, Interpreter Killed in Iraq
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/B/BAG11008021116-big.jpg
An Iraqi firefighter tries to push back crowds of onlookers around a charred US military Humvee that was the target of a roadside attack, Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2005, in Baghdad, Iraq. A roadside bomb exploded at the entrance to a tunnel in central Baghdad on Tuesday targeting a U.S. military convoy, police said. At least nine Iraqis were injured in the blast. (AP Photo/Karim Kadim)
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Fourteen U.S. Marines and a civilian interpreter were killed Wednesday in western Iraq, the U.S. command said.

The Marines, assigned to Regimental Combat Team 2, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), were killed in action early Wednesday when their vehicle was hit by an improvised explosive device, the military said. One Marine was also wounded in the attack.

The incident occurred during combat operations just outside Haditha, which is 140 miles northwest of Baghdad.

Names of those killed are being withheld pending notification of next of kin and release by the Department of Defense.

The latest losses come on the heels of the deaths of seven U.S. Marines in combat two days ago in the volatile Euphrates Valley of western Iraq. The American deaths come as the Bush administration is talking about handing more security responsibility to the Iraqis and drawing down forces next year.

At least 39 American service members have been killed in Iraq since July 24 - all but two in combat. In addition, the Iraqi Defense Ministry said that since the beginning of April, more than 2,700 Iraqis - about half of them civilians - had been killed in insurgency-related incidents.

Six of the seven Marines killed Monday died near Haditha, and the seventh was killed in a suicide bombing in Hit to the southeast. The extremist Ansar al-Sunnah Army claimed responsibility for killing the six Marines.

Masked gunmen showed up in the Haditha public market Monday afternoon displaying helmets, flak jackets and other equipment they said were taken from the bodies of the dead Marines.

Fighting has intensified in recent weeks in Haditha, Hit and other dusty towns along the Euphrates River as American forces step up efforts to seal off the approaches to the Syrian border and prevent foreign fighters from entering the country.

The Marines launched a series of operations in the region in May and June in hopes of pacifying the area so that Iraqi military and civilian forces could assume effective control. But the insurgents have proven resilient.

Link (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/photos/B/BAG11008021116.html?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

Đ 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

"Pacifying the area?" RUMMY never sent enough troops for that. But hey, they pacifyed the oil wells in the first week...:rolleyes:

kentuckyklira
08-03-2005, 07:53 AM
"Mission accomplished!"

Phil theStalker
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Aug 3, 7:31 AM EDT

14 Marines, Interpreter Killed in Iraq

And da war is OVER!

Remember dat.

"Mission Accomplished." He said.

HE lied.

:spank:

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
"Mission accomplished!"

Is it 'Mission Accomplished' when innocent Iraqis are butchered by the insurgents as "collateral damage?"

If it is, then shut the fuck up about Americans killing Iraqi civilians. Too wrongs don't make a right.

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
You know, I'm at home watching CNN right now, and all they're fucking talking about is the Air FRANCE Flight (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CANADA_PLANE_CRASH?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME) that crashed in TORONTO. Who gives a flying fuck!? (No pun intended.) That's somewhat of a local story to me.

These assholes on the network are always looking for the shocking pictures of 'telegenic' events (like plumes of smoke) instead of covering real issues, like the fact that the War in IRAQ is going nowhere and has been bungled from it's rationale to it's conduct...

It's leading me to an ever increasing sense of doom. Is there no hope?

FORD
08-03-2005, 09:40 AM
You know, I'm at home watching CNN right now, and all they're fucking talking about is the Air FRANCE Flight (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CANADA_PLANE_CRASH?SITE=NYBUE&SECTION=HOME) that crashed in TORONTO. Who gives a flying fuck!? (No pun intended.) That's somewhat of a local story to me.

These assholes on the network are always looking for the shocking pictures of 'telegenic' events (like plumes of smoke) instead of covering real issues, like the fact that the War in IRAQ is going nowhere and has been bungled from it's rationale to it's conduct...

It's leading me to an ever increasing sense of doom. Is there no hope?

This serves two purposes for the Whore of Babylon Media

1) Reinforces fear of flying. Even though there were no casualties on the Toronto flight, it certainly looked frightening enough. In fascist regimes, freedom of movement is discouraged. Doing it mentally is a lot easier to pull off than through force at the moment.

2) If you don't see war casualties on TV, they didn't happen, right?.

The people demanded the end of the Vietnam war because the reality of it was on the 6:00 news. If the BCE weren't censor-happy chickenshits, the same would be happening NOW.

And since this war has even less validity than Vietnam did, it should have ended long ago.

Bring the troops home now, and let them have their fucking civil war.

academic punk
08-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Huh? Iraq? What's going on in Iraq? I haven't heard anything on the news about iraq since the Gulf War back in '91.

The Rafael Palmeiro story is the only one I can find on my telly.

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by FORD

1) Reinforces fear of flying. Even though there were no casualties on the Toronto flight, it certainly looked frightening enough. In fascist regimes, freedom of movement is discouraged. Doing it mentally is a lot easier to pull off than through force at the moment.

The people demanded the end of the Vietnam war because the reality of it was on the 6:00 news. If the BCE weren't censor-happy chickenshits, the same would be happening NOW.

And since this war has even less validity than Vietnam did, it should have ended long ago.

Originally posted by academic punk
Huh? Iraq? What's going on in Iraq? I haven't heard anything on the news about iraq since the Gulf War back in '91.

The Rafael Palmeiro story is the only one I can find on my telly.

Oh! And MARTHA STEWART has a new reality series on TV! Splendid! I just heard it on CNN's "Pop Minute for Fucking Retarded Air Heads"...I can hardly wait!

thome
08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Perhaps the iraq men that are helping us at the base camps and
general services areas are spies .

Maybe they should be blamed also for the continued mayhem.

Maybe they need to go back to living in a county size cage.

The communist freed people werent happy either for a long time
having to get up and make their life continue without being ordered
what to do.

Freedom is a strtange and scary place when you look at the cost.

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I just heard these guys are from the same OHIO USMC Reserve unit that lost those six snipers a couple of days ago.

Seshmeister
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM

300 people get a great drinking story.

Don't want to tempt fate but I always thought it would be kind of cool to be in a plane crash and survive. Gives you a brilliant trump card whenever the conversation comes to the bad flights subject that always seems to come up when you meet new people.

Cheers!

:gulp:

academic punk
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
What's the latest on that cute blonde who's missing in Aruba?

God, she's hot.

Seshmeister
08-03-2005, 10:56 AM

You don't need to worry about a backlash from public opinion about casualties if your cause is just, right and decently executed. Quite the reverse.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Sucks to be an American right now. We're fat, lazy, stupid, and the whole world hates us for our own ignorance.

BigBadBrian
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Sucks to be an American right now. We're fat, lazy, stupid, and the whole world hates us for our own ignorance.

Especially Liberals.

FORD
08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Don't blame us. We told you the damn monkey didn't win.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Especially Liberals.

Once again, BBB shows off that dazzling wit of his. :baaa:

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Don't blame us. We told you the damn monkey didn't win. http://www.demstore.com/scstore/DemStore/images/buttons/button-blame-Kerry.jpg

LoungeMachine
08-03-2005, 12:03 PM
War?, what war?

We aint in no war

It's a "struggle", dummy.

If we were still in a "war" we'd know about it, and our soldiers would receive combat pay, etc.

There is no "war", unless you're a "Liberal pinko-commie"

These wonderful men and women are dying for our future military bases and pipelines, dammit.

Show some gratitiude....Buy an Expedition or Escalade TODAY

Seshmeister
08-03-2005, 12:59 PM
They're not getting combat pay?

That is a fucking outrage they should go on strike.

Phil theStalker
08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I just heard these guys are from the same OHIO USMC Reserve unit that lost those six snipers a couple of days ago.
They are. And nothing on the news.

Brook Park, Ohio is losing FOUR (4) Ford plants and jobs to China with the blessings of Washington, D.C., closing NASA and losing 1,800 NASA federal jobs for being a BLUE vote county against Bush, and losing 20 Marine reserves, "weekend warriors," in 72 hours, YEH, this is LEADERSHIP from Washington, D.C..

I've just got one question.

When does the revolution start?

It's very close...

scam failin
08-03-2005, 03:18 PM
combining the above thread"time for maiden" and this one."bring your sargeant to the slaughter".yes it is fucking ridiculous.........and will be at full blown maximum when the u.s. becomes like iraq, how they invade and break into innocent people's homes looking for weapons right before the iraq elections. america watches(tv) in hypnotic apathy their future everyday.

Warham
08-03-2005, 04:04 PM

Ridiculous, FORD. As you stated, all 309 people aboard lived. It only strengthens the assertion that pilots know what the hell they are doing up there when emergency situations arise. Everybody knows there's a risk to flying...hell there's a risk of eating at McDonald's. I'm sure most people also know their chances of getting killed are much greater on the ground, in the car they drive to work every morning. It certainly doesn't discourage me from flying. I'm doing so tomorrow afternoon.

And this war has far more validity to it than Vietnam. Why the hell did we go over there, anyway, besides bail the French out?

Phil theStalker
08-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by scam failin
combining the above thread"time for maiden" and this one."bring your sargeant to the slaughter".yes it is fucking ridiculous.........and will be at full blown maximum when the u.s. becomes like iraq, how they invade and break into innocent people's homes looking for weapons right before the iraq elections. america watches(tv) in hypnotic apathy their future everyday.
Dat's very poetic, butt wot are yoo trying t2o say?

Ally_Kat
08-03-2005, 04:33 PM

It goes the other way, too.

If you don't see our boys and gals actually achieving improvements, they never happened and the whole country of Iraq hates us and wants us dead, right?

I know a lot of people who've come back to watch the news and asked what war they were covering because they said the media made it sound worse than it actually was. My cousin has a huge photo album and most of it is Iraqi civilians he's befriended, not to mention the boxes of gifts he was given.

I guess the BCE wants to censor almost everything those guys did over there and focus on all the roadside bombings and marine deaths, eh?

And reporting on the Air France crash isn't to enforce fear of flying. If they wanted to do that, they would report on all the crashes and near-crashes that happen each day OR there would be a huge story about all the illegal Mexican workers in the Southern Eastern Coast that were fixing planes using flashcards and how the one plane they worked on had a tail that disintergrated before everyone's eyes AND was still okayed to fly.

There are worse flying stories than an airplane going off the runway in a bad storm with a good number of witnesses saying it was hit by lightning, because planes that go off the runway just don't explode. And if so, the fact that that happened and everyone got out with only minor injuries is actually a story. It'll fade out after today with maybe a couple of update stories.

Antonella
08-03-2005, 04:53 PM
thank george for the beautiful mess u.s. is into, and all this for gas...

let's get a bigger truck... maybe 2 you know for the wife... we really need it, it's just like water... it's an essential even VOGUE said it!

kentuckyklira
08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Is it 'Mission Accomplished' when innocent Iraqis are butchered by the insurgents as "collateral damage?"

If it is, then shut the fuck up about Americans killing Iraqi civilians. Too wrongs don't make a right. Never said it was! Iīm just quoting your president.

And about shutting the fuck up! Every day the US administration obviously is clueless about how to solve the problems in Iraq is a war crime according to the Geneva Convention! I see no reason to shut up. Your administration (I know you donīt like them) started it, so theyīre responsible for the whole thing!

kentuckyklira
08-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
When does the revolution start?

It's very close... With 60 or more % of the adult population in the USA dangerously obese, ainīt no revolution starting anytime soon!

Fattening up the poor and ignorant is all part of the plan!

kentuckyklira
08-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Warham

And this war has far more validity to it than Vietnam. Why the hell did we go over there, anyway, besides bail the French out? The French were in Vietnam to do the dirty work for you while you were securing Korea. Too bad the French arenīt as good at dirty work as your guys are!

Va Beach VH Fan
08-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
They're not getting combat pay?

That is a fucking outrage they should go on strike.

Yes, of course they are...

Unless they added some more since I retired, they're getting combat pay, hazardous duty pay, and imminent danger pay....

All of that, combined with their basic pay, is tax free while in the combat zone...

That's why you see unprecedented amounts of people re-enlisting while they're deployed...

Most of the time, and depending on your job, that's usually around 30,000 clams tax-free...

And don't think that it's only for the ground pounders....

Us Navy boys get all of those, except for combat pay, when deployed as well.... You gotta be in the designated area...

thome
08-03-2005, 09:34 PM

I know u could care less what i say but i do take offence to
this statement of yours your personal self loathing is not the
reality of me or this country everyone here works their fingers to
the bone in hopes of retiring at too old of an age to enjoy it 1000%.

This country you loathe provides 85% of the worlds humanitarian
work, money and food.So shaddapp !!

ODShowtime
08-03-2005, 09:36 PM
At least 39 American service members have been killed in Iraq since July 24 - all but two in combat. In addition, the Iraqi Defense Ministry said that since the beginning of April, more than 2,700 Iraqis - about half of them civilians - had been killed in insurgency-related incidents.

That's completely out of control.

Fighting has intensified in recent weeks in Haditha, Hit and other dusty towns along the Euphrates River as American forces step up efforts to seal off the approaches to the Syrian border and prevent foreign fighters from entering the country.

I just hope this push to seal the border is causing the spike in violence and it will subside once we secure the area. That border should be sealed.

Although I can think of some other borders that are more important that are open as hell.

ODShowtime
08-03-2005, 09:43 PM

I almost had to kick some Canadian fag's (literally a fag) ass at a party in Phoenix because of gw. We start talking about Iraq or some shit and he gets all crazy like I voted for the schmuck.:confused:

BigBadBrian
08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I almost had to kick some Canadian fag's (literally a fag) ass at a party in Phoenix because of gw. We start talking about Iraq or some shit and he gets all crazy like I voted for the schmuck.:confused:

OK, props to OD. Anyone who calls a fag a fag can't be all bad.

Also, thanks for not shirking back into the woodwork like some liberal pussies would do.

Good job.

Seshmeister
08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't think the Navy people are in 'imminent danger'...:)

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 04:35 AM
OK, props to OD. Anyone who calls a fag a fag can't be all bad.

Also, thanks for not shirking back into the woodwork like some liberal pussies would do.

Good job.

Okay, you're a fag.

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 05:33 AM
August 4, 2005

A Hard Blow for One Town in Ohio
By P.J. Huffstutter, Times Staff Writer

BROOK PARK, Ohio — Crisp American flags and emotionally worn spirits Wednesday filled the streets of this working-class town, headquarters of a Marine battalion that this week lost 19 young men in Iraq.

Families and neighbors waited anxiously to hear the names of the 14 members of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, who died Wednesday while on patrol near Haditha, about 130 miles northwest of Baghdad. Military officials said the reservists' armored vehicle hit a roadside bomb.

On Monday, five Marines from the same battalion who had been trained as snipers were killed in an ambush near the Syrian border.

"How much more are we expected to give?" asked Nancy Chase, 47, a schoolteacher who came to place flowers and flags at the entrance of the battalion's headquarters.

"We are patriotic people. We love our country. But how many lives are enough?"

Outside the headquarters' fence, residents created an impromptu memorial. Handwritten notes expressed sorrow, one signed "a grateful American family" and another "an old Vietnam combat Vet." Bunches of red roses covered the ground, scenting the air even as the blooms wilted in the muggy heat.

Nestled in one bouquet was a color photograph of Cpl. Jeffrey A. Boskovitch. The 25-year-old from Seven Hills, Ohio, had planned to apply to the local police department when he returned in October, family members said. He was engaged to be married.

Flags waved at half-staff throughout the town, and shops displayed "We Support Our Troops" stickers in their windows. The staff at the Amy Joy Donut shop, just a few blocks from the battalion's headquarters, tucked tiny flags in baskets next to maple-sugar and cherry-filled pastries.

The battalion's estimated 800 members, divided into five companies, deployed to Iraq this year. About a quarter of them train at Brook Park, a Cleveland suburb, military officials said. Most of the 19 killed this week are believed to be from Ohio.

Military service has a long tradition here. It is a popular option in a town where most of the jobs are in manufacturing and the median family income is just over $53,000 a year.

And residents are proud of their service.

Niki Straubhaar said that most Sunday mornings, as she picked up a hose to water her garden, she would peek over the fence and watch the recruits train. Sometimes, she saw members of the Junior ROTC running drills and doing push-ups in uniforms that seemed just a touch too big.

Sometimes, those taking part were members of the battalion's Headquarters & Service Company — local police officers, factory workers and college students preparing for battle.

"It wasn't a matter of if they'd go, but when," said Straubhaar, 39, who works at a local credit union.

"I knew their faces. Everyone understood the risk. But there's a difference between understanding the risk and seeing the reality of it in the paper."

Now Straubhaar says she can't bear to watch the local news.

Each report of casualties tests the patience of residents, who say the sacrifice that their families and neighbors made to military campaigns has become too painful.

That frustration has been heightened by the deaths this week, and many express a growing fear for those overseas.

Many in Brook Park know someone killed this week in Iraq. Mayor Mark J. Elliott said he spent the morning on the phone with a close friend whose son was stationed in Iraq.

"We are grieving and stunned," Elliott said. "What else could we feel?"

Rosemary Palmer told reporters that military officials had said her son — Lance Cpl. Edward Schroeder, 23, of Cleveland — was among those killed.

The family of Lance Cpl. Daniel N. Deyarmin Jr., who died in the Monday attack, said he had turned 22 last weekend.

Deyarmin, who played high school football in the area, enlisted in the Marine Corps after graduating in 2002. He had planned to open his own real estate firm when he returned.

Lance Cpl. Brian P. Montgomery, 26, also was killed Monday. Montgomery's younger brother Eric is in the same unit. Family members told local reporters that Eric was bringing his brother's body home to northeastern Ohio.

"We can't talk right now," said a woman who answered the phone at the Montgomery house. "We have too much planning to do for the memorial service."

One former Marine, however, is determined to go overseas.

Donald Morgan, 21, stood in front of battalion headquarters, remembering those who died.

He said he joined the Marines in 2002, but left after being injured during a military exercise in 2003.

He knew both Montgomery and Boskovitch.

"I was checking on my reenlistment paperwork when I heard they'd been killed," Morgan said. "I know if I reenlist, I'm going to Iraq. I don't care. I need to be there. I should have been there, with them, when this happened."

His brothers, 19-year-old twins James and Ryan, have joined the Marines. One is at boot camp. The other will leave for boot camp later this month.

Morgan's mother says she prays that she won't lose all three sons.

"I've given them all my sons, all my children," said Lynn Morgan, 46. "I have to trust that they will come back."

Link (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-ohio4aug04,1,1135143.story?page=1&ctrack=1&cset=true&coll=la-headlines-world)

scam failin
08-04-2005, 06:30 AM
phil. what i am trying to say is that when america just sits and watches on t.v.( like it's only entertainment), the american soldiers invade and break down doors into innocent iraq people's homes.............they are getting a glimpse of THEIR own future, because america has long long ago decided not to care about anything or anyone but themselves.i've been over here in romania the past two and a half years and have really changed for the better.people here are not so hung up on sex and the guilt that surrounds that in merica.and i look back at my behavior here and am ashamed of the "puritanical" element i have carried my whole life.it took me two years to identify and just start to accept that i am fucked up in these areas not the other way around.YOUR ONLY FIGHTING WITH YOURSELVES,YOU ARE THE WORLD,NOW WE. AND THE WAR IS IN YOU.WHEN YOU STAND BEFORE JESUS CHRIST ALL THIS BULLSHIT THAT IS HAPPENING WILL NOT MATTER.THE WORLD ENDED LONG AGO.

Phil theStalker
08-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by scam failin
phil. what i am trying to say is that when america just sits and watches on t.v.( like it's only entertainment), the american soldiers invade and break down doors into innocent iraq people's homes.............they are getting a glimpse of THEIR own future, because america has long long ago decided not to care about anything or anyone but themselves.i've been over here in romania the past two and a half years and have really changed for the better.people here are not so hung up on sex and the guilt that surrounds that in merica.and i look back at my behavior here and am ashamed of the "puritanical" element i have carried my whole life.it took me two years to identify and just start to accept that i am fucked up in these areas not the other way around.YOUR ONLY FIGHTING WITH YOURSELVES,YOU ARE THE WORLD,NOW WE. AND THE WAR IS IN YOU.WHEN YOU STAND BEFORE JESUS CHRIST ALL THIS BULLSHIT THAT IS HAPPENING WILL NOT MATTER.THE WORLD ENDED LONG AGO. Well, dat's grate, scam failin, dat's just grate..

butt why is dis addressed t2o mmme?

And, don't bee ASShamed..

i have alreedy accepted dat you are "fucked up in these areas"..

not a problem..

no press..

scam failin
08-04-2005, 07:07 AM
phil....everything and nothing depends on you.it's only when you confess"your sins" to one another you begin to overcome them.but that takes letting down the pride.i only see it building up in merica.and you know what happens before a fall don't you?only because i have great sadness in my heart for merica that i condemn her so much.

scam failin
08-04-2005, 07:16 AM
phil............you replied to my post first remember???????? and i am not condemning you but what america symbolizes.you are the only one here who says anything worthwhile reading.excuse me i must continue to get my food and water and get outta town........oops!!! i forgot i already did all that.

BigBadBrian
08-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
The French were in Vietnam to do the dirty work for you while you were securing Korea. Too bad the French arenīt as good at dirty work as your guys are!

Oh yes they are. Ever smell them stinky fuckers? Peeewwww!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
08-04-2005, 08:16 PM

Well Sesh 'ol buddy, ask the 17 Sailors that lost their lives on the USS Cole if it wasn't imminent danger...

In the Middle East and Adriatic (during the Bosnian crap), most of the concern was for small boats, with mines and missles.....

I know what you mean though, for the most part....

Seshmeister
08-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I guess but does that mean that every time I visit London I am un imminent danger?:)

Right enough maybe the US forces should call Bush out on his constant claims that the US is at war.

Otherwise you will never not be at war because if the fact that a couple of thousand Islamofacists would like to set off bombs mainly against soft civilian targets and manage it every year or two constitutes war then we will be at war permanently.

Nickdfresh
08-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Dad: Marine felt mission 'a bit fruitless'
Schroeder was one of 21 Marines killed in Iraq; 13 from Ohio

Friday, August 5, 2005; Posted: 6:44 a.m. EDT (10:44 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/08/04/marines.reax/story.schroeder.ap.jpg
Lance Cpl. Edward Schroeder, shown in an undated photo provided by his family.

(CNN) (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/04/marines.reax/index.html) -- The father of one of the Marines killed this week in Iraq said his son felt the U.S. mission was "a bit fruitless," because insurgents always returned after the military flushed them out.

"Every operation would be a week or two out in the field at some loss of life or at least wounded," said Paul Schroeder, father of 23-year-old Lance Cpl. Edward Schroeder II, who died Wednesday.

"And then they would leave, and then the insurgents would come back. And, obviously, they were back in Haditha, which was supposedly cleared out in Operation Newmarket in early June.

"The insurgents were back in Haditha yesterday. And his vehicle, unfortunately, hit -- struck a roadside bomb," the father told CNN Thursday from Ohio.

"So his comment to us about it was becoming less and less worthwhile, I think -- I took to mean that he was seeing that this was a bit fruitless."

Fourteen Marines and a civilian interpreter were killed Wednesday when a bomb struck their amphibious assault vehicle in northwest Iraq, south of Haditha, the military said. (Full story)

At least eight were from the Marine Reserve's 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, based in Brook Park, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. The battalion was activated in January and went to Iraq in March.

It also has companies in Columbus and Akron, Ohio; Moundsville, West Virginia; and Buffalo, New York. The Pentagon has not yet identified one of the Marines. (Profiles)

It has been a devastating week for Marines from Ohio. Since Monday, 21 Marines have been killed in combat in and around Haditha, 13 of them assigned to units in that Midwest state. (Full story)

Schroeder's mother, Rosemary Palmer, said her son liked the Iraqis, calling them "so kind and so polite," and felt bad when he had to search their possessions in anti-terror missions.

"But as the time went on, he started saying, 'You know, look, we're just redoing.' And he did mention that the closer it came to the time to go home, the less he felt that it was worth what they were doing."
'Don't worry, Dad'

The father of Sgt. Nathaniel Rock, 26, of Toronto, Ohio, said his son insisted on going to Iraq, even though he had a newborn son.

He said, "I have a job to do for my country," said Paul Rock. "He said, 'Don't worry, dad. I'll be back.'"

Rock was one of six Marine snipers killed near Haditha Monday from "enemy small-arms fire" in a gunbattle with insurgents, the Pentagon said. (Marines identified)

Five of the six, including Rock, also were with the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment.

Rock's younger brother, Eric, also is stationed in Iraq, and is coming home for his brother's funeral. The two brothers were in the same unit, but on different missions when the older son was killed.

Their father told CNN that when the Marines came to his door, he thought something had happened to Eric, figuring that if his older son had died, the Marines would notify his son's wife.

"I thought, 'Eric is dead,' and I went to the door, and I was already crying, and I said, 'Eric?' and they said, 'Oh no, no, no, Eric is fine,' and just for a split second, I thought, 'Oh, thank God.'

"You know, 'So what do you guys want?' And then the light bulb came on," he said.
'A tremendous void'

Cpl. Jeffrey Boskovitch, 25, of Seven Hills, Ohio, was also killed in the gunbattle Monday with insurgents near Haditha. He was from the same Brook Park unit.

"He spoke of those young men all of the time," his father, Jim Boskovitch, said this week. "He didn't want to rotate out of that group. He wanted to do his time and make absolutely sure that when he came home that they all came home together."

Boskovitch and the others were patrolling on foot outside the city when they came under attack.

Five died in the initial attack, and the body of a sixth -- apparently Boskovitch -- was discovered later a few miles away.

"I would suspect that, knowing my son, that he was probably shot several times, and given up for dead, and probably tried to head back in the direction to his base," the father said.

He described life without his son as "a tremendous void."

Lt. Col. Kevin Rush of the Brook Park Reserve Center, who has had to inform families about the deaths, said it has been a heart-wrenching experience this week.

"There really is no preparation for looking into the eyes of a father and a mother and telling them that their son was killed in action," he said Thursday on CNN's "American Morning."

"It's all got to come from the heart. It's got to come directly, like you said, right from the gut," Rush said.

"You just emphasize your own personal feelings towards them. Obviously, you offer your condolences and sympathies, and you've got to understand there's no way you can ease their pain."

BigBadBrian
08-06-2005, 05:35 PM

I think you are also forgetting that Navy people are forward deployed on the ground in Marine units as their Doctors and Corpsmen. Not exactly a safe business. Also, forward area liaison people and U.S. Navy Seals are also "Navy people." That qualifies as well in addition to what VB VH Fan said.

Ozzy Fudd
08-07-2005, 11:20 PM
We need to pull out of that shit pile and Turn that place into one pile of Glass:D

kentuckyklira
08-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
We need to pull out of that shit pile and Turn that place into one pile of Glass:D But then, you canīt get the oil. And thatīs what itīs all about in the end!

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 08:12 AM
I think you are also forgetting that Navy people are forward deployed on the ground in Marine units as their Doctors and Corpsmen. Not exactly a safe business. Also, forward area liaison people and U.S. Navy Seals are also "Navy people." That qualifies as well in addition to what VB VH Fan said.

Being a corpman/medic has to be one of life's toughest job...