PDA

View Full Version : Could John Kalodner Save Van Halen ?

Diamondjimi
08-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Maybe John Kalodner should give 'ol leather liver a call. You know he'd
tell him to sober up and call Dave. The one issue would be the pussy-assed ballad factor......Can't picture Dave being into singin pussy shit.

Between him and Dave, they whip those lazy bastards into shape..

Hey , if Kalodner can reform a band of drugged out fuckups like Aerosmith. He could sure do some good helping make VH "MIGHTY" again !

If this topic has been posted before , ce' la vie !

The idea is still relevent !

DavidLeeNatra
08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
there is only one lady that could rescue mr edward van heineken and that's good old betty ford...

Diamondjimi
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
True but he's been there/done that trip before with temporary results.
But hey , it could'nt hurt !

Unchainme
08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Maybe John Kalodner should give 'ol leather liver a call. You know he'd
tell him to sober up and call Dave. The one issue would be the pussy-assed ballad factor......Can't picture Dave being into singin pussy shit.

Between him and Dave, they whip those lazy bastards into shape..

Hey , if Kalodner can reform a band of drugged out fuckups like Aerosmith. He could sure do some good helping make VH "MIGHTY" again !

If this topic has been posted before , ce' la vie !

The idea is still relevent !

Auctually It was Tyler's wife who convinced him and perry to reunite, (Sorry I Am Aerosmith Fanatic, It was On Behind The Music.), So Tyler and Perry made up on Valentines Days in 1984, Then in about 1986 they got clean off drugs, (While Recording Permanent Vacation.). It really pisses me ioff to see that ed can't see what a reunited Aerosmith has done, and continues to put out shitty singles Like "Up For Breakfast."

fanofdave
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
he'll probably follow up that winner hit with
"up for puking".....

FORD
08-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Kalodner is the guy who signed Hagar (as well as Aeroshit) to Geffen Records in the 80's. Probably not trustworthy in this case.

Diamondjimi
08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Maybe so. But getting them playing onstage is the first step .
Roth will no doubt steer the ship from there.
If they know what's good for them. LOL !

Terry
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Don't think that Aerosmith is such a good example, in the wake of the mid-1980s Tyler/Perry reunion that produced a lot of corporate, pussy power ballads for a band that had once put out searing hard rock discs such as Rocks and Toys In The Attic.

CVH don't need Kalodner, Doc -fucking- McGee or any other combination of longtime record industry major players.

Ed and Dave just need to get together in a rehearsal room, come up with some shit, bring in Al and Mike for some rehearsals (or really ANY bass player and drummer at this point; am not so rigid that it HAS to be the original lineup or nothing at all, although I'd like to see it), demo the shit, record, release (don't even have to be on a major label, either), get someone to manage the band and line up the promoters/concert dates, and that's about it.

CVH don't need outside songwriters, big name producers, therapists or a calculated media blitz to pull of a successful reunion. All they need is the desire and the will to do it. After that, the rest is easy.

Unchainme
08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Am I the only guy who likes Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get a Grip?, I thought they were good records, I thought they we're pretty solid songs even the ballads. Plus I Love The videos Love In An Elevatr is one of my Favorites, so is the Get a Grip triolgy with Alicia Silverstone, (Especially Crazy with Liv Tyler stripping :D.) Anyone else agree with me?

Terry
08-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Am I the only guy who likes Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get a Grip?, I thought they were good records, I thought they we're pretty solid songs even the ballads. Plus I Love The videos Love In An Elevatr is one of my Favorites, so is the Get a Grip triolgy with Alicia Silverstone, (Especially Crazy with Liv Tyler stripping :D.) Anyone else agree with me?

Not so much. Maybe a handful of decent songs on them, but they pretty much stink on ice. Although considering the tripe Aerosmith has put out post-Get A Grip, one can be forgiven for considering them decent albums if only in retrospective comparison.

hollywood5150
08-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Like the gentlemen said.............CVH doesn't need any outside record producers or songwriters.

Kalodner made pussies out of decent rock bands. (IF CVH did colaborate)

then they would prove to be exactly what they weren't. A major force, to be reckoned with.

the only thing CVH needs is ROTH, ed, alex, and mike

PERIOD

Molly Blue
08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Not so much. Maybe a handful of decent songs on them, but they pretty much stink on ice. Although considering the tripe Aerosmith has put out post-Get A Grip, one can be forgiven for considering them decent albums if only in retrospective comparison.

Maybe at this stage in the game... a handful of decent songs is all we can expect...even in retrospective comparison... when we look at what a Van Halen reunion would give us. But it would be worth it and for three reasons.

1. I have no doubt there are a few kick ass songs dying to escape those two creative souls who are keeping them locked inside... and few die hard fans dying to have them released.

2. It will never be 1977 again. That picture posted above is a great picture... but its part of the problem. They can't go back... but they don't need to let that stop them from moving forward.

3. Betty Ford don't stand a chance... and I think Val has done all she is going to in the matter. Maybe the Dalai Lama? These guys need some spiritual healing. And I think maybe so do the fans. And I sure as fuck know that Classic Van Halen deserves a better ending than the one currently on the books!

hollywood5150
08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
read my post in EDWARS DEMONDS! that would apply here as well

Terry
08-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Molly Blue
Maybe at this stage in the game... a handful of decent songs is all we can expect...even in retrospective comparison... when we look at what a Van Halen reunion would give us. But it would be worth it and for three reasons.

1. I have no doubt there are a few kick ass songs dying to escape those two creative souls who are keeping them locked inside... and few die hard fans dying to have them released.

2. It will never be 1977 again. That picture posted above is a great picture... but its part of the problem. They can't go back... but they don't need to let that stop them from moving forward.

3. Betty Ford don't stand a chance... and I think Val has done all she is going to in the matter. Maybe the Dalai Lama? These guys need some spiritual healing. And I think maybe so do the fans. And I sure as fuck know that Classic Van Halen deserves a better ending than the one currently on the books!

Absolutely. Wouldn't want CVH to reunite solely to make an attempt to recreate the past/perform just CVH material, because it WON'T be 1984 all over again. Want some NEW CVH MUSIC. For me, that's an integral part of any CVH reunion scenario, 'cuz just going out and flogging the oldies isn't a trip I'm gonna participate in or shell out any money to see.

Would hope that CVH wouldn't feel the need to bring in a bunch of people like Ballard, Childs and the like to help them create the new music and have it turned into an excercise in writing songs for whatever rock demographic will buy them. These guys tend to look at music as a financial excercise as much as a form of artistic expression. CVH would just need to get into a room and let it rip.

FORD
08-04-2005, 10:53 AM

The videos were OK, and I'll admit to a slight Alicia/Liv fetish at the time, but if you grew up listening to REAL Aerosmith, then you gotta know those records were every bit as bad as Van Hagar. And at least Eddie & Cheddie wrote their own shit. AeroShit hired the same corporate shit miners who wrote for Michael Bolton & Celine Dion.

That ain't rock n roll.

Unchainme
08-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The videos were OK, and I'll admit to a slight Alicia/Liv fetish at the time, but if you grew up listening to REAL Aerosmith, then you gotta know those records were every bit as bad as Van Hagar. And at least Eddie & Cheddie wrote their own shit. AeroShit hired the same corporate shit miners who wrote for Michael Bolton & Celine Dion.

That ain't rock n roll.

Yeah, igot to agree with you there Aerosmith Should have NEVER Hired writers, Thats what ruined them, I mean you hear these great song like sweet emoton and Last child and they sound like nothing that the 1987-pres aerosmith ever put out. BTW Didn't Dave used to cover a lot of Classic Aerosmith songs in the 70's?

Romeo Delight
08-05-2005, 02:07 AM

Permanent Vacation was the last OK Aerosmith album. Everything since blows

Cathedral
08-05-2005, 02:29 AM
The only thing that can save Ed is a coffin.
At this point it's the only way to restore at the most, 20% of the legacy he has destroyed.

And it's a shame too, he was once the best thing since MAGNUM condoms.

Antman
08-05-2005, 09:23 PM
The only human being that can save VH is David Lee Roth. And that time passed us by 10 years ago. Aerosmith has been a fucking joke sine Permanent Vacation.

NATEDOG001976
08-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Aerosmith "Pump" blows? What the fuck is wrong with you? That CD rules!

jumpback
08-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Done with Mirrors....their first sober record..............their last good one.

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
God I'm so fucking sick of people saying that the past is fucking part of the problem...

horseshit...and wake the fuck up...

the music fucking transcends the fucking eras...

which is why IT'S STILL FUCKING RELEVANT...

No shit they can't go back...but I also don't fucking think there are many people around that BELIEVE IN TIME MACHINES.

as for the point of this post...

JOHN THE BAPTIST couldn't save this band...

conyo
08-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I wrote John K at his website a while back and and his answer very political and he is a huge Hagar fan, so I think he would be biased, IMHO. Here is the Question and answer:

Seen you over the years on TV, PUMP is a masterpiece largely due to you (and Aerosmith of course) But here is the real questions. You say your favorite song of all time is Van Halen's "Runnin' With The Devil" and you've worked with Sammy Hagar. In your honest opinion, who should be fronting Van Halen?

Where do you see Van Halen going? What advice would you give David Lee Roth? I think he's got at least one great solo album in him and at least two with a reunited Van Halen. I think if Dave is serious about a comeback, he should hire a good A and R guy like yourself and follow his/her advice to the letter, just like Aerosmith did in the 90's. I don't think DLR's problem is a talent one as much as a weak management issue. I could be wrong, but I think David Lee Roth is David Lee Roth's worst enemy. What do you think? I saw the Sam and Dave show, IMHO he held his own against Sam, but he's doing a nostalgia tour at this point. Is there some friction between you and DLR, since you have pictures with Sammy and his band and all of DLR's band, but no Dave. What's up with you two? No I do not work for Dave's management, but would love to!

First of all, there’s nothing between David Lee Roth and I – I would love a picture with him but there wasn’t an opportunity during the tour to take a picture. I think a reunited Van Halen should have both David Lee Roth and Sammy as the singers. I’d love to A&R any Van Halen record and so would most of the people who visit the website, according to the recent poll. DLR and his band were very good on the tour and I think he could do whatever he wanted to if he set his mind to it. As for Sammy, as you may know, he is one of my favorite artists and I think he could also do whatever he wanted but I definitely would like to see both of them do a Van Halen reunion tour.

Diamondjimi
08-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Cool post Conyo !

The thought of 2 VH singers sharing a stage with VH makes me sick !

One word for VH.......DAVE !!!

Vinnie Velvet
08-09-2005, 10:38 AM
The thing is all Dave, Ed, Al and Mike gotta do is FUCKING PLAY!!

Forget about writing new music, forget about trying to record new music.

Get the fuck together -- rehearse the classics and just FUCKING PLAY THE GODDAMN SONGS!!! And this can be done in the studio.

I think that's part of the problem with them trying to get back together.

Ed always wants to make new music FIRST, then tour.

While most bands who've reunited have always done the opposite.

Dave knows the system. He tried in the '96 sessions(according to his book) to get the band to warm up the chops and play a dozen or so of the classic VH songs. But apparently, Ed wouldn't go for it.

But, like sports teams, you gotta do some kind of warm up and practice before trying to hit those high notes again, if you know what I mean.

Its been way too long since Dave and the band played together.

They need to play together FIRST before ever even thinking or sitting down to write music.

That's the thing I can't understand.

Why can't these fuckers just get together like they did in the bar days, plug in, and rock out!!

Its that simple and enough for the band to say, "let's take it on the road!".

After a tour, THEN sit down to record new music -- at that point the chemistry would have re-found itself and have been glued back into place.

Why can't it be like this:

EDDIE: Hey Dave, come down and let's do a few tunes.

DAVE: Alright.

---in the stuido----

1-2-3...

The band bursts into the opening riff of Unchained.....