PDA

View Full Version : Spammypalooza

VAN HLN CA
08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
heres the whole story from billboard----if youve read PASS, didnt see it posted

Hagar Happy Without Van Halen On Summer Tour

By Gary Graff, Detroit

Sammy Hagar has titled his latest tour "The Tequila Made Me Do It." And his fans are hoping he keeps the bottle open.

Rather than a traditional concert, Hagar, who's done stints fronting the bands Montrose and Van Halen in addition to his solo work, has created what he calls a "lifestyle concept." It's basically a Sammypalooza, a harder-rocking version of what Jimmy Buffett does, with gates opening in the afternoon and a variety of activities -- including beach volleyball, a "Sammy-oke" karaoke stage and photo ops with donkeys wearing sombreros -- preceding the music.

"We have a direction and a lifestyle and a way we want to live," explains Hagar, 57, a Monterey, Calif., native. "It's beach by day and dancing all night, tank tops and flip flops. It's all about keeping my fans happy, giving them a little direction if I can find it for them and turning them on to anything I get turned onto, and that's it."

Hagar also hopes to turn them on to some new music of his own soon. He's five songs into his next album, which he says will be a "lifestyle concept record" that will include cover songs and possibly new recordings of his older material by Hagar and his band, the Waboritas.

A year ago, however, Hagar wasn't entirely sure he'd be back to his solo enterprise. In 2004 he was in the midst of a reunion by Van Halen, who recorded three new songs for a greatest hits album and were doing big business at the box office. All indications were that the band was a going concern again.

But, Hagar, whose first run with the group was from 1985-96, says things didn't work out as planned, and he places the blame almost solely with guitarist Edward Van Halen.

"The Van Halen thing wasn't a horrible experience, but it wasn't a great experience," he recalls. "I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it. I think the whole world knows that he's changed. He used to be a great guy, a fun guy, but now he's miserable and he likes to make everyone around him miserable.

He continues: "And I'm the happiest guy on the planet, y'know? Anybody who makes me miserable, I don't want to be around. That's a simple way to put it; I don't like being around Eddie. He's not any fun."

Hagar says, hopefully, that "maybe he'll change back, and then we can do it again." But he adds that things definitely ended badly. "We almost got into it after the last show," he says. "They just pulled him one way and me the other. We didn't even say goodbye to each other. It was a horrible way to end the whole thing, so I just said 'Man, that's it for me. I'm not playing with people like this."

Hagar still plays with Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony in the covers band Los Tres Guzanos. And in addition to the Waboritas, he's re-formed Montrose to play some of The Tequila Made Me Do It shows -- a model for more "special events" he'd like to be part of his future festivals.

"I like to do 'An Evening With;' I'm not interested in bringing Joe Blow & the Goofballs out to open for me," Hagar explains. "My dream come true would be to have a guy like Eddie [Van Halen] be buddies with me and go out with the Wabos and have Montrose and ... everybody, man. That's my dream situation, and I think the fans would be real happy with that."

light 'em up!
08-04-2005, 10:47 PM
He just won't go away... like he's punishing us for something.

Romeo Delight
08-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Eddie be buddies with me and play with the Wabos!!!?????

Fuck Sammy, the wabos are like a fucking house band!!

He is delusional!!! Eddie may be off his rocker at the moment, but playing with the Wabos will never happen.

End the charade Eddie and call Roth!!!

Terry
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Gotta love Sambo's caveat, wherein he mentions that he didn't have any fun with Van Halen in 2004, and doesn't like being around Eddie, yet ANOTHER Van Hagar reunion is possible if Eddie changes.

It's like, why even fucking bother? Sounds like 2004 with Van Halen was as much of a waste of time from Sammy's perspective as it was for people hopeful for a CVH reunion. So why would Sam even leave the door open for doing a Van Hagar tour? Pretty much for the money, I'm assuming.

It wouldn't make a difference if Sam had said he was all done with Van Halen for good anyway, 'cuz the fat fuck lies with every breath his bloated sack of protoplasm can muster.

As for the Sammypalooza angle and these waboritas gathering to celebrate Hagar's 'lifestyle concept' (which seems to boil down to giving Sam money and watch him act like a second-rate Jimmy Buffett), that shit is just...scary.

Hardrock69
08-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Notice the title of the tour "Tequila Made Me Do It"

It is a) an excuse for the reason he got back together with VH last year, and b) CONTINUING ADVERTISING FOR HIS FUCKING TEQUILA!!!!

This motherfucking klown will not stop!!!

Photo ops with DONKEYS IN SOMBREROS????

This dumbass is trying to make it a Disneyland On Tour!!!

Hey! Let's sell tequila to the adults, and then have guys in donkey suits with sombreros to baby-sit the kids while the grownups get drunk while listening to bad elevator music!!!!

I am thoroughly disgusted....

Terry
08-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Definitely a corporatized, marketed, ad-campaign style of presenting yourself as far as what Sam does these days.

Best promo for any band, IMO, is just letting the music do the talking. Go out on tour and bring it to the masses. If it's good enough, and the interest is there, people will respond. As opposed to merchandising yourself to the hilt.

VonHalen
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM
hes like a fuckin wedgie