PDA

View Full Version : Guitar cables/Chords: What brand do you use???

Matt White
08-06-2005, 08:28 PM
I used to use Spectraflex...been switching to MONSTER lately....

They seem to be more durable.......................

BrownSound1
08-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I've got an Armored cable that has been pretty durable. It is made like a metal clad payphone cord, and it has held up to amps and everything else being put on it.

Other than that I don't really care as long as it isn't intermittent or something. LOL

Don Corleone
08-07-2005, 06:39 AM
I'm not really too picky on my cables, generally I just go with what ever is in the shop at the time.

kentuckyklira
08-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Wireless!

Cables are a pain in the ass!

fryingdutchman
08-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Always used Whirlwind stuff myself....but generally not too picky or dedicated to one brand.

Nitro Express
08-09-2005, 04:56 AM
I always seem to break the wire or soder connection at the jack. I've made my own cables with Switchcraft pluge and good coax and I still fuck em up. so I need a cable with heavy duty reinforcement in that area. Sevral good ones on the market.

zeronumber
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
I usually don't take the time and considertation to really try out different brands. Usually I just by 20ft cables whenever an old one wears out on me.

GAR
08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
I play so loud I have to make my own cables or the microphonics take over.

I use budget cords in the house though; pile in the corner says Rapco for Guitar Center, which is a $15 neoprene-jacketed 18 footer.

House speaker cords I just make from Switchcraft (180?) mono 1/4" ends soldered to whatever cords I cut off from disposeable appliances, so probably 18 gauge stranded, 2-conductor.

My stage speaker cords are handmade too because that way theyre done right: either 16, 14 or 12 gauge if possible and depending on how unnecessarily thick the jacketing is, because if I have to trim the junk off to where it won't fit and I have to then grind off the plug barrel end so it fits and don't have time, I know it's gonna crystallize from bends and kinks and then cause problems.

So I don't mind sacrificing gauge size for peace-of-mind. Plus the weight of a 12 gauge 2-cond wire gets heavy too and tends to bend off a straight plug and break it if someone stupid walks behind the amp and bumps it off. That's happened.

GAR
08-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't recommend using guitar cords, or more specifically the shielded cables for connecting an amp head to a cabinet. I know most of you older guys know this, just thought I'd make that point clear.

Always use a speaker cable for a speaker. NOT shielded wire. Too thin and can cause problems.

BrownSound1
08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Good point to bring up GAR. I have seen countless people use instrument cables for speaker cables, this is a major no-no.

Eyes of the Night
08-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I used to use Spectraflex...been switching to MONSTER lately....

They seem to be more durable.......................

Word, yeah monsters are a bit pricy but I use the "rock" monster cables for every connection whether it's 1/4 plugs to 30 ft ...

jhale667
08-17-2005, 05:21 PM
...I use Monster too. Gotta love that liftetime guarantee!

GAR
08-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Whoever was quoted as saying, "the best of warrantys need the worst of products" was quite true.

I have cables 30 years old, and some only a few years old and can hear a shitty, old, oxidized cable I don't care how old. If it's made well, you don't need a warranty unless you wanna cheat the maker because you won't take care of your stuff.

mako_kimura
06-20-2006, 07:47 PM
I use two kinds: Monster and Rapco. Rapco is dirt cheap and durable as hell, Monster is just plain awesome

The_KiD
06-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I use these ones that are made locally and sold at Guitar Center.. I have been itching to try something better like a Monster or an Audience Cable. I use all Audience Cables in my 2 channel Tube Stereo Setup and they are awesome. Unforutnately the Audience is $250.00 for a 6 Meter length.. My playing will definitely need to improve before that happens..

KiD

mako_kimura
06-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Well KiD, the next time you're in Wal-Mart (if ya got one), go to where they sell the cheapo First Act guitars. Pick up the 20 foot Rapco cord, it's durable, has good tone, and dirt cheap.

Don Corleone
06-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Good point to bring up GAR. I have seen countless people use instrument cables for speaker cables, this is a major no-no.

But it's something we've all done at an early point.