Any Diehards Disappointed with Dave's Current Career Status?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firestarter
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Any Diehards Disappointed with Dave's Current Career Status?

Mostly everyone here is pro dave. but Dave may have dissatisfied some of his diehard fans with his career decisions.
  • John Holmes

The guy isn't perfect, so of course he committed a few mistakes. But it's easy to point your finger _after_ something has went wrong.

I really doubt me and you and the average Joe would have made better decisions than his.

When Nirvana surfaced, it was the end for the 80's and for stars like Dave.

With no Media coverage, with labels refusing to push anything else than Grunge, many careers and gifted musicians were doomed to fail even with Rock n' Roll masterpieces.

The fact even Metallica went Alternative, when Grunge was actually alternative to them, lets you imagine the label pressure on artists in those times.

Luckily, Dave kept doing good music and never sold out to those wacky fashions.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Life is a big wheel my son. All that was, will be again.

If Dave continues to stick to his guns, he will be fashionable again.

It is in the stars.

Comment

• academic punk
        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I'm currently most disappointed with the fact my FB didn't pick up her phone when I called to see if she wanted to hook up last night...

Comment

• VonHalen
          Foot Soldier
          • Jul 2005

whatever he does is fine with me

Comment

• Kelly_Clark
            Roadie
            • Mar 2005

Who are we to be "satisfied" or "dissatisfied" with Dave's career?

By the time the guy was 30 years old, he had seen more, done, more, been more than most of the posters here can ever hope to be. Every thing else is gravy.

Comment

• Kelly_Clark
              Roadie
              • Mar 2005

Except for the reunion. Thats icing.

Comment

• Nigel

Interesting Topic. DAVE is the greatest and certainly was during CVH. In my opinion his peak was Fair Warning through Diver Down in terms of KING OF ROCK.

Record sales aside, his last album was a "cop-out" listened to it a few times, but no lasting appeal. The big problem is that Bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith etc. etc (even Billy Idol) manage to outsell Dave's stuff now.

Knowing what a great Radio personality he WAS and still IS, you'd think stations all over the U.S and Canada would still support HIM. It was always DAVE that WAS the VOICE of Van Halen, even in interviews. Funny, interesting, Hell even fascinating at times. Knowing Dave was ON THE RADIO was something to look forward to and even the DJ's would drink some Jack in anticipation of Dave coming on.

Music always has a way of returning to "the root, not the fruit" (a Dave-ism), and surely Dave should have been able to pull it off.

As much as he is STILL my fave performer, I'm pissed at him for not "Workin' It.

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kelly_Clark
                  Who are we to be "satisfied" or "dissatisfied" with Dave's career?

By the time the guy was 30 years old, he had seen more, done, more, been more than most of the posters here can ever hope to be. Every thing else is gravy.
                  Napalm in the morning right there.

Comment

• Diamonds Kid
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Aug 2005

i think dave rocks

Comment

• jero
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamonds Kid
                      i think dave rocks
                      We all think that

Comment

• golden boy
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Nov 2004

He made one mistake he left Halen.
                        mark miles

Comment

• DR CHIP
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Jan 2004

Who wouldn't love to see 1978-1984 again?

That being said, David Lee Roth's legacy to rock music is solidified (whether certain media outlets or magazines who seem to try at lengths not to mention it continue to do so).

David Lee Roth is a victim of what all rock stars eventually fall prey too...father time. Sure there are a few bands that still play to large crowds that have aged (the Stones, U2, etc.), but even they have little too do with current musical trends or video play.

The reality is this: labels love their rock stars young. When the stars get older and richer it's on to the next thing. As DLR said, "here today gone later today...it's club dates in the sticks".

DLR realizes who and what he is. He says himself he sells summer time past. He will never be the cutting edge frontman he was to the music public at large (even if VH reunited), but he will always be the cutting edge frontman he WAS and nobody can take that away.

So am I disappointed with DLR's current status? No, not really. He is still great to go see live, the musical catalog he has is still great to listen to, and he sells summers past better than anyone else in the business, albeit maybe to a fewer less people per concert than I would like (and probably himself too!).

Remember this though as someone who saw CVH live and DLR (EEAS forward): all the things that define CVH were brought to you by DLR - He is Van Halen.

Peace
                          Last edited by DR CHIP; 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Well, no, because it really comes down to what's on the grooves in the end that's gonna do it for me, as opposed to how popular Dave is or how many albums Dave is selling.

I mean, I wasn't overly thrilled with Diamond Dave, and that wouldn't have changed if it had went platinum. Totally dug the DLR Band CD, and that one selling less than 100,000 didn't diminish my enjoyment of it.

With the lack of style AND substance that I'm seeing in virtually every outlet of the entertainment and media industry in general (from contemporary movie stars to musicians and tv/radio personalities), it is kinda curious to me that Dave hasn't landed more high-profile gigs, but Roths' image is very attached to CVH, and a lot of people just won't accept him outside of that context. But I totally dug what I saw on the Bar-B-Que, for example, in that it certainly kept me entertained (more than I can say for most swill put out by the entertainment industry these days)...do feel to a degree that if Roth got more exposure there might be an increase in his sales...

...part of the problem is that Roths' current career status is gonna be determined to what Dave himself does, and that's pretty much been limited to hitting the road and playing CVH tunes. Dunno...kinda doubtful Dave's gonna put out a solo album nowadays that's gonna sell millions of units. Think that time is just past. Not really gonna serve Dave well to undertake a calculated maneuver in order to be 'relevant' (i.e. commercially successful) in todays market. Just best off doing what he wants to do and being true to his audience. Some probably dug him when he was in VH and have no use for him outside of that group. Fine. Whatever. I mean, all the guy can do is release the material and hit the road with it. The rest of it is really out of his hands.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...