PDA

View Full Version : Could Stern's anti-Bush rants shock the vote?

FORD
03-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Could Stern's anti-Bush rants shock the vote?

By Matthew Gilbert, Globe Staff, 3/18/2004

American liberals have been waiting for a perch on talk radio, a medium dominated by conservative and right-wing voices since the 1980s. And on March 31, the new Air America Radio network will give them a nascent one, as it premieres in the New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago markets. Just as "The Daily Show" brings an openly lefty spin to TV news, Air America will fly in the face of the right wing with hosts including Al Franken, Janeane Garofalo, and Marty Kaplan.
ADVERTISEMENT

But wait a minute: Is "shock jock" Howard Stern -- stripper aficionado, champion of misfits everywhere, all-purpose radio provocateur -- already giving liberals a voice on the airwaves? And is that voice powerful enough to affect the upcoming presidential election?

Since the FCC crackdown on media "indecency" in the wake of Janet Jackson's Nipplegate incident, Stern has transformed his morning variety show into a rabidly anti-Bush talk forum. Every weekday, he has been devoting hours of his broadcast (locally on WBCN-FM, 104.1) to impassioned criticism of President Bush and support of Senator John Kerry. Railing tirelessly against the president, Stern has been attacking Bush's yoking together of church and state, the legitimacy of his National Guard service, his use of Sept. 11 imagery in his campaign ads, his stances regarding First Amendment rights, his handling of Iraq, and his stands on gay marriage and stem-cell research.

"Join me and friends of this show who are outraged," Stern said on the air last Friday. "Vote out every Republican you can find." He has also been urging his listeners to send money to Kerry's campaign, calling him "a good man" and praising his record in Vietnam as well as his later criticism of the Vietnam War.

"With all the talk of liberal talk radio," says Michael Harrison, the editor and publisher of Talkers magazine, "we're seeing emerging from the ranks of `shock jocks' one of the most potent and articulate liberal talkers we've seen in years."

Harrison calls Stern's's recent crusade "historic." "Anytime you have somebody suddenly igniting political interest with an audience who has the kind of loyalty factor Stern has, it could turn an election." A large percentage of Stern's listeners -- some 8 1/2 million a week -- were leaning in favor of Bush, Harrison says. "If Stern could turn several million Bush supporters away from Bush, that has even more impact than Rush Limbaugh, who's preaching to the choir. So this is pivotal to what is shaping up to be a close election."

"On a national level, I don't know how much influence Stern could have," says Chuck Todd, editor of The Hotline, a Washington-based daily briefing on politics. "But we assume too little at our own peril when it comes to Stern and talk radio in general. . . . Does Bush really need to worry about him? If New York were a swing state, we definitely would take this more seriously. Is Stern's popularity as devoted outside of New York? We only know it is ratings-wise."

Stern is frequently dismissed, by liberals and conservatives alike, as a sexist, a racist, and a narcissist. But he is one of the most influential entertainers in America, particularly among the much-sought-after 18-to-25-year-old male demographic. His show is a critical stop for actors plugging youth-market movies, and his skits serve as the blueprint for many reality TV concepts. Last month, in an effort to borrow some of Stern's mojo, Jay Leno hired Stern sidekick "Stuttering John" Melendez to be an announcer and correspondent on "The Tonight Show."

Harrison says that Stern's audience is broader than most people realize. "They're not just 18-year-old, beer-drinking yahoos. They're 20- and 30- and 40-something professionals. They're mainstream American citizens who are well-educated and affluent and socially active and politically interested, though not politically active. But they're being motivated. Wouldn't that be amazing if millions of people vote who otherwise wouldn't, because of this issue?"

"Some people will dismiss Stern not because they don't believe he has a following, but because they believe his listeners don't vote," Todd says. "I would argue that a swing voter is just that; they swing between not voting and voting, not between the two parties. So if he brings some nonvoters to the polls, then that's a big impact."

Over the years, Stern has occasionally taken political positions. In the 1994 New York gubernatorial election, he briefly ran as the Libertarian Party candidate, before withdrawing and endorsing Republican George Pataki. "One could argue that he had an effect on that New York governor's race, that he was an impact player," Todd

says. And until recently, Stern was supportive of Bush and the decision to go to war in Iraq. But Stern has never come out so relentlessly for or against a politician, and he is best known as someone who would just as soon joke about flatulence and prostitution as take on the government. His anti-Bush push began in earnest after the FCC crackdown on "indecency" inspired Clear Channel -- which he calls "Fear Channel" -- to remove his show from six cities the week of Feb. 23. While those markets form a relatively small portion of his audience, the punitive action threw Stern for a loop. And his outrage has boiled to a head with news that Congress is currently considering a radical increase in the amount of FCC indecency fines (from a maximum of $27,500 to $500,000).

"It's over," Stern said on the air Tuesday. "When the Senate passes that bill, it's over. The show is over. . . . We can't do a radio program that's cutting edge . . . if the government keeps second-guessing everything we do."

Stern is also maintaining that Clear Channel dropped him last month not because of indecency but because of some of his Bush criticism earlier in the year. "There's a real good argument to be made that I stopped backing Bush and that's when I got kicked off Clear Channel," he said on the air earlier this month.

"When he takes that FCC persecution mantle and wraps it around his political views," says Mark Walsh, CEO of Air America, "and when he implies that it wasn't until he started to criticize this president that he really started getting nailed for `immorality' and `obscenity,' he throws gasoline on the fire.

"If he says, `I'm being stifled because I have the temerity to challenge this president,' and `Remember a year and a half ago when entertainers were chastised for questioning the war and now I'm getting nailed for the same thing,' if he starts pounding that drum, I would contend that a significant portion of his listenership will take that as gospel truth."

"He is self-aggrandizing if he thinks he's being singled out here," says Jeffrey Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy, a Washington-based advocacy organization. "Congress is engaging in this kind of witch hunt generally. I don't think they're singling out Stern for his alleged critical comments against the Bush administration."

Whether or not he is being censored for putting down Bush, the First Amendment issues at stake in his case remain incendiary. How much is America willing to let politicians determine what is "decent" and "indecent"?

"It has been this bubbling issue that unites liberals and conservatives, this free speech stuff," says Todd. "And it could pop under the right circumstances. It probably needs a linchpin, the way gay marriage got its linchpin thanks to the mayor of San Francisco suddenly issuing marriage licenses. It will need a seminal moment. Is Stern getting thrown off the air that moment for this FCC issue? I don't know."

"I'm no fan of Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh and what I think is the tabloid-esque domination of radio and a great deal of television," says Chester. "But Congress is stampeding to censor a whole range of speech." Chester says it is unclear whether Kerry will indeed be Stern's "savior," and that "what Stern really should be doing is trying to get Kerry to be public and accountable on this."

One thing does seem clear, however. If Stern loses this battle, his cause will take on added vigor. "Take Stern off the air because of the government?" says Harrison. "Take a guy that's a beloved icon and turn him into a beloved martyr."

Matthew Gilbert can be reached at gilbert@globe.com.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

FORD
03-18-2004, 07:33 PM
I might actually have to change the dial on my clock radio... at least temporarily ;)

ELVIS
03-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Why.. you admit you're a misfit ??

Howard Stern was cool in 1996...

:rolleyes:

FORD
03-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Why.. you admit you're a misfit ??

Howard Stern was cool in 1996...

What's wrong with the Misfits?http://www.misfitscentral.com/mpix/m_sta.jpg

(that's the REAL Misfits, of course! Just like Van HALEN, they weren't worth a shit after the singer left.)

John Ashcroft
03-18-2004, 09:22 PM
So you still plan on voting for Kerry this November Ford?

Sarge
03-18-2004, 09:41 PM
No one takes Stern seriously

I do like the guy though..

FORD
03-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
So you still plan on voting for Kerry this November Ford?

I will never vote FOR Kerry.

I will however, vote against Bush Jr.

Cult of Roth
03-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Never much cared for Stern, but at least he's fighting the good fight now. This new crackdown on "indecency" is some scary stuff. "1984" scary.

NE169
03-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
No one takes Stern seriously

I do like the guy though.. Bush can't afford to underestimate Stern--Howard did help put 2, maybe 3 governors in office.

And there's still almost 6 months to go...

I thought Stern was as unlistenable as anybody these past few weeks, but with Congress FAST TRACKING these fines, the FCC seeing fit to do as they please regarding radio, but hypocritically ruling that Bono's use of FUCK was indecent, yet no fines :confused: :rolleyes:

Stern's got a very legitimate beef--he sounded paranoid at first, but everything he's said, has come to pass.

I'm just surprised Howard hasn't asked Rudy Giuliani to help his case...

With this, and the call for a gay marriage ban, Bush has handed Kerry the election .

I said a long time ago, that Bush will get re-elected easily, unless he made the same, fundamental mistake his dad did--lose touch with the average American--and he did just that these last few months.

Who'da thunk that Janet Jackson's right tit could cost George Bush the election?

BTW, Illinois just had it's primary this past Tuesday. I wrote in Giuliani to be President--sure, it's a wasted vote cause it's voided, but at this time, I cannot vote Bush back to office. I didn't vote to re-elect his dad either.

No, I didn't switch parties--no way am I voting for Kerry--do you think I'm nuts??!

NE169
03-18-2004, 11:16 PM
I hate to use a litmus test on a few issues to decide who I'd support, but so far, I ain't liking what I see...

If Bush loses, Giuliani will get tapped to run in 2008--assuming Kerry hasn't led the US down the path to destruction by giving the UN more power...

thefive
03-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Stern was wishy washy with Dave though. For 10 years he was totally for Dave. I dont have to tell you all the interviews and the Private Parts Movie Premiere. You guys already know this stuff.

Then Sam came on his show and he kissed his ASS. The Cherone and Vh came on and he kissed their ass. Howard was being neutral just like Sweden in WWII.

That suprised me about Stern. Being loyal to Dave for 10 years and then just being neutral with Sammy and EVH. Howard said" Van Halen is nothing without David Lee Roth." Then plays the nice game to VH and Sam.

bologne!!! in my book.

thefive

lucky wilbury
03-19-2004, 12:06 AM
come on people! is there any station stern is on in a state that would go for bush? i don't think so. ny,nj ma, etc etc

FORD
03-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
come on people! is there any station stern is on in a state that would go for bush? i don't think so. ny,nj ma, etc etc

Which is why Fear Channel had to cut him off, right? Because they aired him in the "red" states? ;)

John Ashcroft
03-19-2004, 08:24 AM
You beat me to it Lucky. So Bush is going to lose New York??? Say it isn't so! What a surprise!

Oh, and Ford. You went from "I'll never ever vote for Kerry, I'll stay home instead" to "I'll vote against Bush, not for Kerry". In democrat circles that may fly, but it's a contradiction to normal folks.

You've waffled... Maybe you really are a Kerry supporter after all. :D

FORD
03-19-2004, 09:09 AM
You beat me to it Lucky. So Bush is going to lose New York??? Say it isn't so! What a surprise!

Oh, and Ford. You went from "I'll never ever vote for Kerry, I'll stay home instead" to "I'll vote against Bush, not for Kerry". In democrat circles that may fly, but it's a contradiction to normal folks.

You've waffled... Maybe you really are a Kerry supporter after all. :D

Actually it's more like this.... I live in a state where a GOOD Democratic candidate would win with no problems whatsoever. So if I leave the top spot on the ballot blank, there shouldn't be any problems.

But in the unlikely event that Junior wins this state, the disaster for us would likely be far worse than just 4 more years of the BCE. We got an open governor's race here, and as a state employee, a Republican boss really isn't my preference. And George Nethercutt (possibly the only George on the planet dumber than Junior) as a Senator? Not in my lifetime!

So my absentee, non-Diebolded ballot will be in on time as usual. And the top spot will only be used if there's a danger of the Idiot Son of an Asshole winning here.

Mr Walker
03-19-2004, 09:29 AM
You know Stern can't be heard anywhere in Florida right?
Who's running that state?
That's what I fucking thought.

If you can't hear the show where you are... call the station and you can listen to it through your phone speaker.
I'd only recommend doing this while your job is putting out the dime for the call.

John Ashcroft
03-19-2004, 09:35 AM
http://www.goodfoodfast.com/images/small%20cartoon%20unit.jpg

Cathedral
03-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by NE169
Bush can't afford to underestimate Stern--Howard did help put 2, maybe 3 governors in office.

And there's still almost 6 months to go...

I thought Stern was as unlistenable as anybody these past few weeks, but with Congress FAST TRACKING these fines, the FCC seeing fit to do as they please regarding radio, but hypocritically ruling that Bono's use of FUCK was indecent, yet no fines :confused: :rolleyes:

Stern's got a very legitimate beef--he sounded paranoid at first, but everything he's said, has come to pass.

I'm just surprised Howard hasn't asked Rudy Giuliani to help his case...

With this, and the call for a gay marriage ban, Bush has handed Kerry the election .

I said a long time ago, that Bush will get re-elected easily, unless he made the same, fundamental mistake his dad did--lose touch with the average American--and he did just that these last few months.

Who'da thunk that Janet Jackson's right tit could cost George Bush the election?

BTW, Illinois just had it's primary this past Tuesday. I wrote in Giuliani to be President--sure, it's a wasted vote cause it's voided, but at this time, I cannot vote Bush back to office. I didn't vote to re-elect his dad either.

No, I didn't switch parties--no way am I voting for Kerry--do you think I'm nuts??!

Ne, the average American is against same sex marriage so i don't see your point.
I'm all for free speech, but there have to be rules.....enforced rules over the airwaves that are owned by the people of this country.
I mean it is to the point where i cannot turn my radio on near my child without being repulsed by one thing or another.
I am against Free Speech being used to fast track immorality on public forums.
Howard Stern is a joke, he does nothing but exploit women and give the whacko's a forum in which to spread more of the same.
How can anyone think he has credibility?

That is what truly concerns me.
I am having trouble with re-electing Bush myself, but the alternative is an even scarier thought.
I have come to the conclusion that by NOT voting for a second Bush term we will inadvertently elect Kerry....That cannot be allowed to happen.

Seshmeister
03-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I will never vote FOR Kerry.

I will however, vote against Bush Jr.

Helping Bush get in though.

SPLITTER!:D

Cathedral
03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Sesh, i think he means he will cast a vote for Kerry but he is NOT FOR Kerry, lol.

It will be a power play vote on Ford's part i do believe.

FORD
03-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Exactly. I sure as Hell ain't voting for Ralphie.

ELVIS
03-19-2004, 10:45 AM
So FORD's gonna vote for Judas...

Hmmm...
:elvis:

John Ashcroft
03-19-2004, 10:45 AM
So you're going back on your word...

Cathedral
03-19-2004, 10:52 AM
I knew better, JA.
I have been reading between the lines when it comes to Ford's posts and i know exactly what his agenda is.

I am just glad he is interested in the process as i have been recently reminded myself.

In fact, I have the same agenda when it comes to Bush. I am not real happy with some of the things he has done but not enough to elect Kerry by voting for someone else who has no chance of winning.

I learned my lesson when i voted for Perot and it cost Bush Sr. a second term. (not that my single vote did it, it was however a mistake i made and have regretted since)

John Ashcroft
03-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I know. Just having a little fun because he just may be the most ideological of us all. Interesting to see him crack and give in. Again, let go of the hate brother Ford, let go of the hate...

ELVIS
03-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Guess that shut him up for awhile...

FORD
03-19-2004, 03:23 PM
So FORD's gonna vote for Judas...

Hmmm...
:elvis:

No, I'm going to write in HOWARD DEAN, as he's the best candidate for the job. Unless I have reason to believe George Bush Jr could win the election by 1 vote. And in this state, that is not likely.

ELVIS
03-19-2004, 03:25 PM

BigBadBrian
03-19-2004, 03:59 PM

Yup.

Cathedral
03-19-2004, 11:45 PM
LOL...

Lou
03-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Let's not forget that Stern is also heard in PA, another Democratic state. I'm actually glad PA lost two votes in the electoral college for this reason.

Cathedral
03-20-2004, 01:08 AM
The people and their children in this country have a right to be protected from this kind of garbage just as much as those who are on the air have a right to free speech...But the public airways are owned by the public and they should be able to enforce laws that protect the children and those who are offended by it in our society.

It is wrong to impose this kind of garbage on people who are disgusted by it...If they want to be disgusting then they should have Private airwaves to do it on...Just like it used to be with TV...you either had decent programming on public broadcasting channels or you got cable and had all the dirty R rated movies and had a choice.

I am sick and tired of people shoving their garbage in my face and telling me they have a right to do so...what about my rights to reject it? what about my right's NOT to have to hear that garbage at 8 am when i'm taking my child to school?
What about my right's to raise my child with values?
In fact, what about the right's of the youth in this country?
The public schools are battle grounds these days in case you haven't noticed, yet Liberal society takes no responsibility for polluting the minds of our children...

steve
03-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
The people and their children in this country have a right to be protected from this kind of garbage just as much as those who are on the air have a right to free speech...But the public airways are owned by the public and they should be able to enforce laws that protect the children and those who are offended by it in our society.

It is wrong to impose this kind of garbage on people who are disgusted by it...If they want to be disgusting then they should have Private airwaves to do it on...Just like it used to be with TV...you either had decent programming on public broadcasting channels or you got cable and had all the dirty R rated movies and had a choice.

I am sick and tired of people shoving their garbage in my face and telling me they have a right to do so...what about my rights to reject it? what about my right's NOT to have to hear that garbage at 8 am when i'm taking my child to school?
What about my right's to raise my child with values?
In fact, what about the right's of the youth in this country?
The public schools are battle grounds these days in case you haven't noticed, yet Liberal society takes no responsibility for polluting the minds of our children...

Cathedral - you've hit the nail on the head. I feel the EXACT same way about organized religion. Get rid of it and ban it from the airwaves. It is offensive and psychologically self-destructive. I would NEVER want my kids exposed to that garbage.
-steve

BigBadBrian
03-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by steve
Cathedral - you've hit the nail on the head. I feel the EXACT same way about organized religion. Get rid of it and ban it from the airwaves. It is offensive and psychologically self-destructive. I would NEVER want my kids exposed to that garbage.
-steve

Yeah, but nudity and obscenity is OK, isn't it?

Igosplut
03-20-2004, 10:13 AM
It all depends on a persons definition.....

The catch phrase "offensive" is the worst part of all this.....

FORD
03-20-2004, 11:16 AM
The simple solution to all of this - whether it's Howard Stern, Pat Robertson, or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - if you don't like it, CHANGE THE FUCKING CHANNEL!!

There's no question Stern pushes the envelope. But that's NOT why Fear Channel took him off the air. They took him off because he was speaking against their business partners, the Bush Criminal Empire.

Mush Limpdick is a junkie, besides being a hate spreading windbag. But you don't see me trying to get his show yanked off the radio. I don't want to hear his bullshit, so I don't listen to it. What's so difficult about that?

Lqskydiver
03-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Actually it's more like this.... I live in a state where a GOOD We got an open governor's race here, and as a state employee, a Republican boss really isn't my preference.

And as a state employee shouldn't your ass be working instead of posting on a message board and wasting Wash. taxpayers' dollars?? Falls in line with your party's M.O.

;) :)

BTW, is anyone else's monitor "BLINKING" when they visit this site??!

Cathedral
03-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Whats wrong with that? well how about the fact that I cannot listen to radio at all because every station here is nothing but nasty?

I guess i have no rights to the public airwaves, eh?
I can't even tell you the last time i listened to the radio. I have nothing but CD music when i drive because of it so i have "turned the dial" but i don't think that is right at all.......

It's just a case of the immoral trampling the rights of the moral.
But instead of having to "turn the dial" they should have to provide their own PRIVATE channel to spew their garbage.

Like i said, i'm all for free speech, but i'm against that speech being used in a irresponsible way that damages our culture and undermines how i choose my child to be raised and what she is exposed to at 8 years old.

FORD
03-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Lqskydiver
And as a state employee shouldn't your ass be working instead of posting on a message board and wasting Wash. taxpayers' dollars?? Falls in line with your party's M.O.

Actually, I believe it was about 6:00 in the morning when I posted that, so I was on my own time :)

ELVIS
03-20-2004, 02:07 PM
No way do you work as much as you post...

Don't try to be misleading.. we've been observing your behavior for years Mr. FORD...

FORD
03-20-2004, 06:54 PM
No way do you work as much as you post...

Don't try to be misleading.. we've been observing your behavior for years Mr. FORD...

I wouldn't be throwing stones in that glass house if I were you ;)

Cathedral
03-21-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm about to quit my job because i don't post enough...kidding of course...
I may get the boot though for lack of business. I'm on salary and the last few weeks have been really light so i am a tad concerned about that.
Must be the bad time of year for Insurance.

NE169
03-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Ne, the average American is against same sex marriage so i don't see your point.
I'm all for free speech, but there have to be rules.....enforced rules over the airwaves that are owned by the people of this country.
I mean it is to the point where i cannot turn my radio on near my child without being repulsed by one thing or another.
Howard Stern is a joke, he does nothing but exploit women and give the whacko's a forum in which to spread more of the same.

That is what truly concerns me.
I am having trouble with re-electing Bush myself, but the alternative is an even scarier thought.
I have come to the conclusion that by NOT voting for a second Bush term we will inadvertently elect Kerry....That cannot be allowed to happen. Most Americans are against gay marriage, but the call for an amendment was unnecessary, mostly because I don't think the required votes by Congress and the states would be there to make it happen--it's more a state issue, IMO.

I don't listen to Stern at home in the morning, I listen in the car, so there's no problem with the kids not listening to him--besides they listen to much lamer initations of him. I'm out the door by 6 AM so what could I do about it anyway?

You may not think he has credibility and influence, but he has a lot of fans that are too fucking stupid to think on their own. I disagree with a lot of his political views & logic. especially when he says Bush always takes vacations, or was acting cowardly when 9/11 happened by flying away from DC--that PISSED me to no end :mad: cause it's complete BULLSHIT--but a great deal of his moronic, numbskull fans buy it anyway--and those are the ones that'll vote Bush out of office.

And I don't have to worry about inadvertently voting Kerry by not voting Bush--Illinois will be solidly in Kerry's pocket, just like Gore--Bush has all but conceded IL already...

Cathedral
03-21-2004, 01:21 AM
I wonder just how many Stern fans even vote at all. That is a better question.
I have talked with quite a few of my friends and they have no interest in the process at all, yet they fill my ear with all the things they hate about whats going on in this country.

Alot of good people have never ever registered which i find quite offensive.

NE169
03-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Got a point there--they may be too stupid to register!

BigBadBrian
03-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by NE169
Most Americans are against gay marriage, but the call for an amendment was unnecessary, mostly because I don't think the required votes by Congress and the states would be there to make it happen--it's more a state issue, IMO.

This proposal for an amendment against gay marriage was nothing more than political posturing. They're simply pacifying the conservatives who had their panties in a bunch about immigration policy. Everyone knows this amendment will never fly. :gulp:

ELVIS
03-21-2004, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't be throwing stones in that glass house if I were you ;)

I haven't posted from work since 2002...

I work 6p-6a 5 nights a week and there is no computer...

Seshmeister
03-21-2004, 11:57 AM
What the fuck is this a Perry Como fansite?

Cat you sound like an old woman.

Everything that gets broadcast must be suitable for your 8 year old.

Fuck off.

It's up to you to bring her up and shield her from what you think is inappropriate, not censor what everyone else see's or hears after your road to Damascas transformation.

Of course the evidence shows that if you keep trying to sheild her into her teens she'll be pregnant by the time she's 15.

Exploiting women?

I nearly sprayed my drink at that one. More like women exploiting men as they always have.

Jeez...

Cheers!

:gulp:

Roth & Roll
03-21-2004, 01:01 PM
No, I'm going to write in HOWARD DEAN, as he's the best candidate for the job. Unless I have reason to believe George Bush Jr could win the election by 1 vote. And in this state, that is not likely.

Now THERE'S a guy who should have access to the button... :rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
03-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

It's up to you to bring her up and shield her from what you think is inappropriate, not censor what everyone else see's or hears after your road to Damascas transformation.

Yes Sesh, it's the parents job to teach the child a little morality and their sense of right and wrong, however, I sure as hell don't want my kids exposed to that crap until they're old enough to understand or with my say so. I don't need some horses ass to be showing his dick or spouting out the word "fuck" on broadcast TV or in public in the name of Free Speech. It's that slippery slope argument once again. :gulp:

Seshmeister
03-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Kids swear like to each other the minute they hit school, I know I did.

Just not in front of adults.

The US nanny approach to language censorship is weird.

Violence is ok but better not say shit on TV.

It affects us too because sometimes we end up getting US TV versions of films.

It's ludicrous that fuck is removed from an Al Pacino film that's being shown at 11:30 at night.

Cheers!

BigBadBrian
03-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Kids swear like to each other the minute they hit school, I know I did.

Just not in front of adults.

They know it's wrong then. What'll you do when you're paperboy delivers your morning paper and when you complain, says "too fucking bad?" You'll feel like wringing the little shit's neck. :gulp:

Cathedral
03-21-2004, 03:43 PM
What the fuck is this a Perry Como fansite?

Cat you sound like an old woman.

Everything that gets broadcast must be suitable for your 8 year old.

Fuck off.

Of course the evidence shows that if you keep trying to sheild her into her teens she'll be pregnant by the time she's 15.

Exploiting women?

I nearly sprayed my drink at that one. More like women exploiting men as they always have.

Jeez...

Cheers!

Thanks alot...."Friend"......I appreciate the comments.
Now why don't you take your own advice and spare us all your "booze" filled banter.

I'd never attack you in that fashion no matter how much i disagree with your posts.
But i am not the least bit surprised i have to admit.

God Bless, and thanks again...

ELVIS
03-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Hmmm...

Cathedral
03-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Hmmmm is right.
Where an alcoholic who has no idea what being a responsible parent is all about gets off trying to tell me about raising kids is a practice in pure ignorance.

It's not my kid i am worried about, it's his for having a parent such as himself.
I meant what i said no matter what anyone says and that's what matters to me.

Sesh, do yourself and your family a favor and put the drink down for good, or get help to rid yourself of the addiction.

Again, God Bless and Have a Nice Day!!!

Seshmeister
03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Alcoholic?

LMAO! You may be confusing my online shtick with reality there friend.

I didn't attack you personally or your parenting, just your reactionary viewpoints on censorship which is the antithesis of the freedom you people claim to be in favor of.

I just think it's hypocritical to do such a U-turn and become a PMRC reactionary type.

As FORD said if you don't like it turn the dial.

Cheers!

Seshmeister
03-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
They know it's wrong then. What'll you do when you're paperboy delivers your morning paper and when you complain, says "too fucking bad?" You'll feel like wringing the little shit's neck. :gulp:

Of course!:)

But he won't have learned the phrase from TV he'll have learned it from his peers...

Any kid who has parents allowing them to watch late night TV has more to worry about than if someone uses a naughty word.

Cheers!

lucky wilbury
03-21-2004, 11:34 PM
like buying a hagar solo disc?

Cathedral
03-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Alcoholic?

LMAO! You may be confusing my online shtick with reality there friend.

I didn't attack you personally or your parenting, just your reactionary viewpoints on censorship which is the antithesis of the freedom you people claim to be in favor of.

I just think it's hypocritical to do such a U-turn and become a PMRC reactionary type.

As FORD said if you don't like it turn the dial.

Cheers!

Yeah, right, whatever dude...

You can think whatever you want about me and my "Road to Damascus Transformation" but the fact is my brother, when you see the light you turn it on, NOT continue to walk in the dark.

I think i made it clear that i have turned the channel and my view on the whole deal is hardly reactionary when it's bugged me for years. even before the "Transformation" you attacked and apparently find offensive.
Then you suggest that my child will grow up to be a whore or something and you claim to know how i am raising her, that's funny.

Then there's the F.O. remark, but it's cool, i forgive and forget.

I really do hope it was all a cherade because i respect you Sesh, and i only wish the best for you and your's in life...believe that...

madraoul
03-22-2004, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cathedral
[B] Ne, the average American is against same sex marriage so i don't see your point.

I personally can give a rat's ass about gay marriage. Two people love each other? Who am I to intercede? Why are we worried about this shit when our entire industrial base is going overseas? I find this to be treason of the highest form, especially in a time of war. Anyway, immorality. Trust me, as a parent I found getting the "F" word out of the way quickly works magic. Shield your children as much as you can, but eventually they are going to face the big bad world. If the world was "The Lion King," hell I'd tell someone to put a sock in their mouth. The First Amendmant is there for a reason. DISSENT! Fuck Fuck Fuck! Ain't it great to be an American!!!!

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Yeah, right, whatever dude...

I never said whore, jeez.

What I meant was that the US has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in the world because of poor sex education due to parents taking a very fundamental line.

A third of strippers in the the UK went to convent school...

Cat I don't want to fight with you because I always make allowances for the shitty hand life has dealt you over the past few years.

And fuck off was meant in a oooh fuck off way not FUCK OFF. Damn internet.:)

Cheers!

John Ashcroft
03-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Spoken like a true foreigner. Sesh, it's quite clear you have some healthy misconceptions of what goes on in the U.S. Also, highest teen pregnancy huh? Sure then. And let's pretend for a second your absurd claim is true, your opinion of the cause is hilarious. Pay attention boy! Our teen pregnancy rate climbed after we started doing things the liberal way (I.E. sex ed in 1st grade, and condom training in 2nd).

You're also missing the big picture. It's not up to the government or some ignorant limey as to how parents raise their children in the U.S. You can sneer all you want, but come tell an American parent on the street of N.Y. how to raise their kid. I triple-dog dare ya. Now, we have decency standards for broadcast media (and have forever). Laws are laws, it's as simple as that. This all started with a titty-flash during halftime. No big deal right? Well, it's a big deal to millions of parents sitting with their children watching the game that night. They weren't expecting it, so it's not a simple matter of "changing the channel". We know where T&A television is. We have skin-a-max, showtime, Playboy, etc. Parents know what to expect from 9pm on when tuning into those channels. But no one expected titty on the Superbowl halftime show. Which brings me right back to my original point. It's not up to MTV or Janet Jackson, or you, or even I to force parents to discuss titties with their children (by flashing them on Network TV) at what we feel is the appropriate time. I know you Euro-weenies are a bunch of follower-sheep, lapping up any propaganda the State throws your way, but Americans don't work that way. We've elected leaders to make laws like the ones dictating decency standards on clear-air radio and TV. Just because you don't like the law doesn't mean you can ignore it (well I guess you can, just be ready for some fines). You psuedo-Commies in Europe certainly understand this, no? Oh... That's right... You're media is government controlled, they make the law on the fly. Whatever they say is appropriate because they are the law. And the government knows best.

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 08:40 AM
It was because it was a black tit you got your pants in a twist.

It was about three frames and she had a nipple cover thing on.

I bet you blindfold babies during breastfeeding.

Cheers!

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Teenage pregnancy rates per 1,000

Russia - 101.7
United States - 83.6
Bulgaria - 83.3
England and Wales - 46.9
Australia - 43.7
Sweden - 24.9
Netherlands - 12.2

Source: Alan Guttmacher Institute 2000

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Sweden and the Netherlands 'coincidently' have the most extensive sex education programs in schools.

BigBadBrian
03-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Sweden and the Netherlands 'coincidently' have the most extensive sex education programs in schools.

You can also pick your prostitute out of a store front display window there, kind of like a sex mart.

"Gimme the blonde for now and a redhead to go!" :D

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You can also pick your prostitute out of a store front display window there, kind of like a sex mart.

"Gimme the blonde for now and a redhead to go!" :D

Absolutely.

So you don't get skanky whores hassling people on the street.

Or worse, girls getting hassled by sleezy pricks in cars trying to pick them up just because they are dressed for a rock gig.

I'm all for it!:)

Cheers!

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 09:18 AM
You're media is government controlled, they make the law on the fly. Whatever they say is appropriate because they are the law. And the government knows best.

Nope.

But to a lesser extent than the US our government is media controlled...

Cathedral
03-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Sesh, it's no big deal and i understand your point...no fighting on my end just opinions bro...

I'm also not promoting censorship, i am promoting the responsible use of the public airways. If that is what people want then they have that choice, i won't make it for them. I am saying there is a time and a place for everything.
My job is to raise my kid(s) to know the difference between right and wrong, moral or immoral, and it is my job to make sure they know the difference and make the best choice possible.

So far i nailed 1 out of 2 and I had to do it alone. I was young once too and i know all about peer pressure and the way society operates.
I also know that my own parents never gave a thought to what awaits a child out in the world, and i learned the hard way what was proper and improper...it only took 29 years to figure it out. (even longer to fix it)
I don't shelter without explanation and have made keeping open lines of communication a top priority in my branch of the family tree.

Smothering a kid will always backfire, but if you go about it the right way then they will always know that good or bad, they can discuss everything and anything with you.
Some parents wait for these discussions and take the Judgemental, Parental Lecture route which will destroy that trust and that is wrong.
If you listen to them and offer objective advice and allow them to make the choice 9 times out of 10 they will make the right one...And it is a good thing to remember that all people make mistakes, it's the one's who don't recognize those mistakes who are destined to repeat them.
I can only do so much but the battle just gets harder every passing year with the quality of accepted activity in our culture dropping like a lead pipe in a river and there simply has to be a line drawn if for no other reason the simple fact that our children are so impressionable.

There is simply a time and a place for everything and that has become a clouded issue.
When i was a kid two parents didn't even share the same bed on TV, now and in a very short time, we are seeing any sexual activity known to man being dramatised and so far i have rolled with the punches and stayed my course as a parent against the odds.

We have kids killing kids in schools and that is due to a lack of responsibility being handed down by the parents, the FCC not doing their job only makes that job tougher when it comes to what our kids are exposed to in everyday life in the media.

Rule with an iron fist, but listen with a soft ear....It's worked for me in preparing my kids for what awaits them out there. But there is something wrong with the fact that people i don't even know are dictating when i have to have these discussions with my children.

The Super Bowl isn't a good example to me because grown football fans have a tendancy to be more vulgar over a bad play then anything i hear on the tube. But a halftime show becoming a titty show doesn't help matters much.
I didn't even see Janet's boob and i was watching the game, my daughter isn't into football and wasn't even watching at all so that is a non-issue for me.
All i ask for is more responsibility by those who braodcast on the public airways, no more, no less.....But that alone is enough to make me an outcast in society and i say so be it....I will do my job regardless and adjust my tactics to compensate.

Howard Stern types are like kids themselves in the fact that they will push those limits and cross the line more as an attempt to rise against the system. but i have to say that not everyone is adult enough to understand it for what it is and there is the problem for me as a parent.
It used to be that things like they broadcast only happened after 8 pm....Now, it's the sky is the limit and it only serves to pollute the minds of those too young to tell the difference.
It's part of the reason we have a teen pregnancy problem in this country, that and parents who don't do anything in the home to correct their distorted view of what life should be about and what is an acceptable way to live it.

The first step is to keep them from watching television all the time because they won't learn proper values from it at all....unless it's Sesame Street.
What we really need is for the "Shock Jocks" to understand this and place better standards on themselves, then the government would not be involved.
But just like kids, they will try to get away with whatever they can and then cry censorship when they get called on it.

It boils down to a lack of responsibility by those who should be responsible and if they won't be then their Boss/ownwers (the public) has a right to implement them.
It's not about shutting them up, it's about putting it in it's proper context, time, and place.

No more, no less...

John Ashcroft
03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Sesh made a point? Let's see, you said the U.S. has the "highest teen pregnancy rate in the world", then display as proof stats showing us behind Russia. Oh well, facts matter little when liberal's argue.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you "enlightened" European socialists think anyway. You don't live here, and if you decide to move here vote in accordance with your beliefs. Don't look down your noses at us "backwards" Americans while us "inbred hicks" are driving markets around the world (how many currencies are tied to the dollar?), have an unprecedented economy ourselves (complete with half your unemployment rate), and an unmatched military. I'd say the United States is doing pretty damn fine without your "enlightenment". What you Commies always fail to offer is an explanation as to just why we should emulate you in any way.

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 10:52 AM
The first step is to keep them from watching television all the time because they won't learn proper values from it at all....unless it's Sesame Street.

I'm not so sure about that...:)

http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/be_jfk3.JPG

http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/smbert.jpg

http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/mv1p4657.jpg

http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/ernie-titten.jpg

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 10:53 AM
http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/ernie2.jpg

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 10:55 AM
http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/devils.jpg

Seshmeister
03-22-2004, 10:56 AM
http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/teresabert.jpg

Cathedral
03-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I said "watching" Seseme Street, not the perverse things people do with the characters in other forums, lol...

Nothing is off limits...and that is my point and you just helped me prove it in a small way.

FORD
03-22-2004, 12:26 PM
http://claus.fellermann.bei.t-online.de/bert_page/ernie2.jpg

That pictures fake!

Everybody knows that Bert & Ernie wouldn't have any interest in strippers.

Well, not female strippers, anyway.... ;)

John Ashcroft
03-22-2004, 12:28 PM
:D :D :D

That's some good shit!