PDA

View Full Version : why was YFLM delayed so much?

bigc
08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
from my research online,I found out that initally YFLM was scheduled to be released in Late 1992/Early 1993, what happened to cause nearly a year delay?

from reading CFTH at the end of the "Travels With Dave" chapter, he talks about decisions he regretted following getting back from his 1991 holiday, I was wondering if this was linked to an album he was "persuaded" into doing, then junked and went off in the Nile Rodgers direction.

From one of the Roth Army interviews on this site, from one of the writers(Monty Byrom) of She's My Machine, he says it was demoed 3 times, once with Bob Rock(so does that mean it was originally destined for ALAE,Jason Becker mentions a song of the same name), once with Bob Erzin(original YFLM?), and finally with Nile Rodgers(the finished article).

Its just because I'm extremely curious about the behind the scenes situation with DLR's career. Its also because I've been trying to nail when "Bad Habits", from Diamond Dave, was recorded. The recent stuff I found out/guessed makes me think perhaps it was part of Dave's initial ALAE sequel, which also was to contain the unreleased songs such as "Kill the Guy" and "Cruel Obsession" which used to be available in Cato's rarity collection.

(the Bad Habits guess was further backed up by seeing James Hunting as bass player, and he was initally to be bass player on YFLM-and co-wrote "Everybodies Got The Monkey",but I was further confused by seeing Rod Richotte as playing guitar, who was the pre-ALAE guitarist to Becker, so that made me unsure of which album it was cut from)

woah...thats a long post. I'm not sure if anyone will know the answers, I was away in switzerland for a few days and at a quiet moment I suddenly began thinking all those different scenarios. apologies to anyone this has bored, its just I'm always very keen to know song origins,band origins, the whole creative evolution,so to speak.

golden boy
08-13-2005, 01:17 PM
maybe Dave owes a couple of favors and made them up later in life.

DLR7884
08-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Bad Habits was recorded in 1986 and appeared in the movie Sgt. Bilko.

Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117608/soundtrack

DLR7884
With all of your internet research....how did you fail to find this info?

bueno bob
08-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Sgt. Bilko wasn't all that hot (I saw it in the theater, God knows why), but I did notice the Roth song - first time I heard it, and I still like it.

bigc
08-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Bad Habits was recorded in 1986 and appeared in the movie Sgt. Bilko.

Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117608/soundtrack

DLR7884
With all of your internet research....how did you fail to find this info?

too obvious?lol

I mean its life summed up well, you spend ages searching obscure and bizarre references,when it was easily available on one of the most mainstream internet sites there is.

spmusicplyr
08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
bad habits was recorded in1986? Dave's voice sounded too rough for it to be recorded in 1986...i figured 1995 for sure...

i dont know when shes my machine was recorded but you can tell daves post alae material by the introduction of his head voice into most of the songs.....that high, unnatural sounding voice that kinda plagued YFLM...i think it sounds horrible!

alae and yflm sound very very difference in regaurds to dave's vocal style...his voice sounds like it's pinched so he could squeeze out those notes, and thats why anything post 1991 is instantly recognizeable...

Terry
08-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Could definitely hear a certain amount of strain in Roth's voice starting around ALAE, continuing with YFLM to this day. Smacks more of the sheer act of putting in an effort than anything else.

Have no factual basis for this, but possibly YFLM was delayed as a reaction to ALAE not being as strong a seller as EEAS and Skyscraper, wherein WB was injecting input into YFLM perhaps to a degree that hadn't been before. Perchance there was friction between Dave and the record company in that respect. Also, possibly the release was delayed because maybe Dave didn't want to have all of his ducks in a row as far as having a competent touring band ready to hit the road in 1993, didn't want a lengthy delay between the initial release date and the first series of concert appearances.

bigc
08-14-2005, 07:36 PM
he didnt have a competent touring band in 1994 by all accounts?

at least desi rexx was gone though

academic punk
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Might even have somehting to do with WB transferring him from the parent company to one their at-time "boutique" labels, Reprise.

The transfer I imagine had something to do with the drop in sales and Dave as a commerical figure with ALAE.

Worst of all is now BOTH albums are out of print. :mad:

bigc
08-14-2005, 07:53 PM
i know..i got both off ebay.

was reprise a shitty label then?

academic punk
08-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by bigc
i know..i got both off ebay.

was reprise a shitty label then?

I'm not sure...it's under the same umbrella, but used a different staff: promo people, etc.

It doesn't carry the same clout as the parent label...but, hey, it's been good for Neil Young and lots of others.

bigc
08-14-2005, 08:00 PM
fair enough.

it would have been a bit of an ego dent for him.

academic punk
08-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Come to think of it, YFLM was a step - a big step - towards Dave trying to reinvent himself as a hard rock singer-songwriter, and also somone who explores many styles of music: YFLM has rock, hard rock, country, reggae, blues, a couple of ballads, one kind of jazzy.

WB might have found that to be too eclectic, and reprise being more conscious of artist satisfaction than enormous sales, moe suited to their approach. (at least in the companys mind)

But, yeah, had to be a dent on Dave's ego. I always wondered why it wasn't marketed more for its country tunes - at the time Garth Brooks was the biggest thing in the world, and there is "Cheatin' Heart Cafe", which I imagine country radio would have eaten up...

bigc
08-14-2005, 08:11 PM
perhaps the name David Lee Roth put them off...regardless of music?

I often thought of YFLM as Dave free of worries...like the fact he KNEW he wasnt gonna get a new contract so he thought he'd do what he wanted to do on his last album. Kinda...released from the freedom of working for another deal.

Terry
08-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Have to give Dave credit on YFLM for defying expectations with just the sheer breadth of styles he undertook, even if the results were somewhat uneven.

At the very least, he still had the capacity to shock, unlike his former bandmates who settled into a series of albums full of bland power ballads and limp thud-rock tracks (if anyone seriously thinks Finish What You Started was some great Van Hagar ode to country music, they deserve a smack)

Calderone
08-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Bad Habits wasn't recorded in 1986

bigc
08-15-2005, 06:32 AM
I think it was just a typo

Polk High
08-15-2005, 11:27 AM
no way bad habits was from 86, that was eeas years doesn't fit in

Polk High
08-15-2005, 11:28 AM
but then again what the hell do i know...

firestarter
08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
wasn't bad habits recorded in 1995 with the ice cream band(edgar winter,nile rodgers,etc)??

bigc
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I reckon it was from 1995,but it wasnt with the Ice Cream Band, Gregg Bissionette,Brett Tuggle,Rod Richotte,James Hunting played on it.

Baby's On Fire
08-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Could definitely hear a certain amount of strain in Roth's voice starting around ALAE, continuing with YFLM to this day. Smacks more of the sheer act of putting in an effort than anything else.

Have no factual basis for this, but possibly YFLM was delayed as a reaction to ALAE not being as strong a seller as EEAS and Skyscraper, wherein WB was injecting input into YFLM perhaps to a degree that hadn't been before. Perchance there was friction between Dave and the record company in that respect. Also, possibly the release was delayed because maybe Dave didn't want to have all of his ducks in a row as far as having a competent touring band ready to hit the road in 1993, didn't want a lengthy delay between the initial release date and the first series of concert appearances.

Dave HIMSELF said he lost his passion after ALAE.................everybody's a fucking psychiatrist on this board.

True Roth fans would know these things. Read his fucking book.

bigc
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I said that at the top I think, and considering I quote CFTH, I have read it.

considering Roth is doing lil' at the moment..it doesnt hurt to speculate over the past.

i'm no shrink,but if i was...I'd say you had some unresolved issues wiith your own insignificance

Baby's On Fire
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Or maybe I have the brain capacity to READ, LISTEN and ABSORB facts..............not just blurt out whatever horseshit sounds good.

"look at me, look at me"............:rolleyes:

bigc
08-15-2005, 07:53 PM
its called a discussion board isnt it?

if I want to discuss things, I have to put across my point of view. The majority on this thread have all made interesting and useful contributions.

there are alot of unanswered questions in Dave's career

academic punk
08-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by bigc
I said that at the top I think, and considering I quote CFTH, I have read it.

considering Roth is doing lil' at the moment..it doesnt hurt to speculate over the past.

i'm no shrink,but if i was...I'd say you had some unresolved issues wiith your own insignificance

Nice one. From the looks of it, I'd say you got him in the kneecaps with that one. :D