Is there just one thing you dont like about Dave?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Troubles
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Feb 2004

Is there just one thing you dont like about Dave?

Really though. I consider myself a huge Dave fan, but is there just one thing you dont like or wish he would do differently? For me, Id want Dave to include his band more into videos or album covers. Id want him to acknowledge his band mates as more than just after thoughts in interviews. Look at his videos. Lil' Aint Enough. Where's the band? Tell the Truth. Nightlife. Im sure theres more. Even Shoo Bop doesn't have much of a "this video/band is a group effort" feel to it. I guess in Daves mind, there really is only ONE band. I dont know.

any thoughts.
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

You know BT...think about the demise of Dave...

We ALL know how good Dave is...but after the Vai era was over...there seemed to be a distinct shift in Dave perception in videos...

of course...his solo album...but there seems to be a bit of fact to when Dave stopped "including" the band in the visible piece of his act...to when his popularity diminished. I don't really know what the connection there is...

but there is some fact to it...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Past that...I don't know...

I envy a lot that the guy has done...and the attitude that he brought to it...

The one thing that I've always wanted to hear from Dave was a real deal. I'd love to hear a flat...hour long interview where Dave the showman sits down...and DLR stands up. Thing is...I wonder how much of the schtick has become part of his life...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• DLR7884
        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I've stated this before, but I'll say it again.

Dave has never visited Jason Becker, there is no excuse for that at all.

DLR7884
        Sad.
        Originally Posted by WARF:
        DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• bigc
          Head Fluffer
          • Aug 2004

isnt there a Jan 2004 interview on vhnd with Dave where he is just more upfront and less showman.

and i agree about the videos...plus..images. have you EVER see a pice of the ALAE band together? I havent seen one! I mean,there were band shots for EEAS but thats about all I've seen.

and I agree with DLR7884 about Jason Becker. We all shit on EVH for being a crap guy,but he's visited Becker.

Comment

• Big Troubles
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Feb 2004

Id say the schtick is him now. He tends to be more humble and less flash when he's doing radio. For obvious reasons. But yeah Id like to think he has more than one happy go lucky emotion. As much as I admire Dave for his "showmanship" I also think it takes away from the real Dave Id like to know.

His band names since leaving VH has spoken volumes in terms of his "place" in rock and roll. That to me, is why there will never be another Van halen as we knew it. Sure they get together. Might even tour with a new album. But they will never again have that click they had without any conflict.
            "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Feb 2004

I dont want this to be an anti Dave thread. Not my intention, but sometimes you call shit when you see it. And we all see it differently with everyone. He'll always be my "rock and roll God" and I'll always be patiently waiting for his next cd to come out, covers or not-

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Yeah...the Becker thing is interesting...but look...

I know plenty of people that don't handle that shit well...

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  there seems to be a bit of fact to when Dave stopped "including" the band in the visible piece of his act...to when his popularity diminished. I don't really know what the connection there is...

but there is some fact to it...
                  Maybe he thought the demise in popularity was because of the band? I just remember radio interviews with Van Halen and it would be all 4 guys talking and having fun. Then I remember the EEAS band on the radio, then it eventualy just became Dave doing the promotional shit. The host would ask Dave about the band he's got and Dave would give a shout out to the "band" without much name mentioning.

Kinda shitty. lol C'mon Dave. If you are reading this. be fucking nice.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Perhaps having a serious band behind him...with serious chops...and publicizing it was the perfect match to Dave's attitude...

Comment

• Big Troubles
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Feb 2004

Perhaps having a serious band behind him...with serious chops...and publicizing it was the perfect match to Dave's attitude...
                      Im sure Edward and Alex were banking on the idea that Dave would try to do most shit on his own in 85/86.

They had an album half in the can already, plus they brought in a solo artist would also bring in his fans. They had a huge promotional "shin dig" in every possible city to ensure it was kept like competition.

Hmmm... Dave should have let Steve Vai, Greg and Billy have more input. There'd still be an EEAS band.

Comment

• bigc
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Aug 2004

yeah I know what you mean bout Roth/Becker and people handling those things badly.

not a good example I know but my nan has alzhemirs, and I find it hard to visit her,cos its so sad to see someone degenerate like that. But I do manage it from time to time, feel awful afterwards though.

Comment

• DLR7884
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yeah...the Becker thing is interesting...but look...

I know plenty of people that don't handle that shit well...
                          I'm one of them, but if a guy in a band I were in got sick, I'd go see him at least once over a 15 year span.

DLR7884
                          I still say that there is no excuse.
                          Originally Posted by WARF:
                          DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• bigc
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Aug 2004

Yeah exactly.

its quite a disturbing piece of DLR info.

what does it say about Dave? no emotional connections with people?

Comment

• Northern Girl
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR7884
                              I've stated this before, but I'll say it again.

Dave has never visited Jason Becker, there is no excuse for that at all.

DLR7884
                              Sad.
                              Just because he's sick? I bet he doesn't visit Ed or Steve either.
                              Same ole song and dance...

Comment

Working...