PDA

View Full Version : Kicked Out of Barnes & Noble, over a Joke

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 03:03 AM
McCarthyism Watch

Santorum’s People Toss Young Women out of Barnes & Noble, Trooper Threatens Them with Prison
Matthew Rothschild
August 19, 2005

On the evening of August 10, Hannah Shaffer of Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, decided to go to the nearby Barnes & Noble outside of Wilmington. She wanted to see Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, who was promoting his book, “It Takes a Family.”

The event was billed as a “book signing and discussion,” Shaffer says.

But discussion was the last thing that the Senator’s people wanted.

Shaffer, her friends, and two other young women were booted out of the store and threatened with imprisonment even before they had a chance to say a word to Santorum, as Al Mascitti first noted in the Delaware News Journal.

Shaffer, 18, thought Santorum’s public appearance might be a good occasion to ask him a few questions.

“He is my Senator,” she says, and she wanted to challenge him on his notorious claim that legalizing gay marriage was akin to legalizing incest and bestiality.

“So I contacted a few of my left-leaning friends, and they said they’d really like to be there because they felt the same way,” she says.

When she arrived at 6:00 p.m., some of her friends were already there, along with two other young women she didn’t know, Stacey Galperin and Miriam Rocek.

As Shaffer was talking with her friends, Rocek made a joke.

She held up a copy of a book by the gay writer Dan Savage called “The Kid,” which is about how he and his partner adopted a son. And Rocek said, “It would be funny if we got Santorum to sign this book.” (To discredit Santorum, Savage and his readers in 2003 came up with a nasty definition of “Santorum” that now often appears on Internet searches for Santorum’s name.)

Not everyone enjoyed the joke.

“A woman nearby snapped: ‘He’s only here to sign his own book. He won’t sign that,’ ” recalls Galperin.

Shaffer says the woman also added, “You’re shameful and disgusting.”

For a minute, the young women thought that would be the end of it.

But no such luck.

A state trooper in full uniform, including hat and gun, was in the store, and, according to Shaffer and Galperin, he met with the person who didn’t care for the Dan Savage joke, along with a few others, including members of the store and Santorum’s people.

Galperin says she heard the trooper ask, “Do you want me to get rid of them?”

And then the trooper, Delaware State Police Sgt. Mark DiJiacomo, who was on detail as a private security guard, came over to the group of women.

Here is the conversation, as Galperin remembers it: “You guys have to leave.”
“Why?”

“Your business is not wanted here. They don’t want you here anymore. If you don’t leave, you’re going to be arrested. If you can’t post bail, you’ll go to prison. Those of you who are under 18 will go to Ferris [the juvenile detention center]. And those of you over 18 will go either to Gander Hill Prison or the woman’s correctional facility. Any questions?”

Shaffer remembers the conversation basically the same way.

“I said, ‘Sir, we’re not doing anything wrong. We’re sitting in a bookstore. On what grounds would we be arrested?’ ”

“He said, ‘This is private property. Are you going to leave on your own, or are you going to leave in cuffs?”

Shaffer decided to leave with her friends.

Galperin and Rocek decided to stay.

“That’s it,” he told them, according to Galperin. “You’re under arrest. Give me your ID. You’re going to prison.”

Sgt. DiJiacomo led the two out to his police car.

“You’re going to embarrass your families,” he told them, she recalls. “Your names are going to be all over the paper.”

He told Rocek to put her hands on the squad car, and then told both of them to call their parents and tell them to bring “at least $1,000 in bail money,” Galperin says.

Galperin reached her father, an attorney.

“I told my dad, ‘I’m under arrest for expressing dissenting opinions.’ ”

Her father asked to speak to the sergeant.

“Your dad says get out of here,” the sergeant told her. “He’ll meet you at home.”

And so they both left.

By this time, Hannah Shaffer managed to reach her mother on the phone, who was planning on going to the event anyway.

“She came and said whoever wants to return to the bookstore should come with her and we would talk respectfully to the police officer and to Barnes & Noble about why they had kicked us out and threatened to arrest us,” Shaffer says.

“Six or seven of the braver kids got in the car and we drove back over to the parking lot of Barnes & Noble,” she recalls. “We were standing outside in the parking lot and my mother went into the store. Just as she entered, the officer came out, and he saw us, and he drove over in his car very fast.”

Here’s her account.

“You’re under arrest. Get into the car.’

“But my mom took us over here and wanted to speak to you.”

“Do I look like your mother? You’re not wanted here. You had your chance. You showed up again. Now you’re under arrest.”

Shaffer said he then asked the ages of everyone in the group, and he used this information to further threaten her.

“Not only will you be arrested for trespassing, but I’ve got you on the counts for contributing to the delinquency of one, two, three, four, five minors,” he said, according to Shaffer. “Those are serious charges. Is that really something you want on your record? Is that something that will make your parents proud?”

And he warned them, she says, that they would be arrested if they ever showed up at the bookstore or the mall again.

At that point, he let Shaffer and the other young women leave.

“I was pretty upset,” Shaffer says.

So was her mother.

“These are the cream of the crop--the outgoing student class president, students who had given hundreds of hours of community service, kids who wouldn’t know how to cause trouble in a public place much less in their own basements,” says Heidi Shaffer, who had encouraged her daughter to go to the book signing. “This is unconscionable.”

Heidi Shaffer says she approached Sergeant DiJiacomo.

“I actually tried to talk humanely to the policemen,” she says. “He told me if I took any of the underaged kids in, I would be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.”

Heidi Schaffer says she is most upset about the strong-arm tactics of Sgt. DiJiacomo. “One of the girls came home and was hysterical for about two days,” she says. “Some even were afraid to tell their parents. That this hired gun can say whatever he wants and terrorize these kids is very, very scary.”

Sgt. DiJiacomo did not return my phone calls seeking comment.

“From all indications that we have, he handled his duties and responsibilities appropriately,” says Lieutenant Joseph Aviola, director of public affairs for the Delaware State Police. Aviola says two customers warned Sgt. DiJiacomo that the young women were planning a disturbance and that there had been a previous incident at a book signing with Santorum.

Aviola says it is not uncommon for Delaware state troopers, in their official capacity, to work for private contractors, who later reimburse the state.

Senator Santorum’s office did not provide comment on this story. Robert Traynham, communications director for Santorum, told me to contact the public relations firm that was handling the book tour, Shirley&Banister, in Virginia. Account Supervisor Kevin McVicker at Shirley&Banister failed to return three calls for comment.

When I contacted the Wilmington Barnes & Noble store and asked for a manager, someone named Pam came on the phone, said “No Comment,” wouldn’t give her last name, and hung up.

At Barnes & Noble’s headquarters, Mary Ellen Keating, senior vice president for corporate communications and public affairs, gave this account.

“I spoke to the assistant manager, and what she told me was that the store management was not consulted on how the situation was managed,” she says. “A state policeman, without consulting management, removed these students from the store.”

Drew Fennell, executive director of the Delaware ACLU, sees the incident in a larger context. “This is trickle down from Bush: Politicians are now keeping away, out of sight, anybody who disagrees with them,” she says. “If the Senator’s staff was so put off by the idea he might be asked a difficult question that they brought in the police, that’s a sad commentary on the state of political discourse. ”

Fennel is also particularly concerned about the participation of the Delaware state trooper. “That puts a different and far more disturbing face on this,” she says. “Frankly, it’s a great deal more intimidating to be asked to leave by an armed police officer threatening you with arrest than if the manager does it.”

She says Sgt. DiJiacomo “truly overstepped the bounds” in threatening the young women.

While the ACLU and the women involved have not decided whether to take legal action, they are considering their options.

DLR'sCock
08-24-2005, 04:09 AM
Seig Heil!!!! You shall fall in line because the RIGHT WING FUCKING FASCIST PIGS ARE FUCKING LYING CHEATING MURDERING SCUMBAGS AND SO DECLARE THAT RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

GET IN LINE OR PAY THE PRICE LEMMINGS!!!!

BigBadBrian
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Much ado about nothing. If some liberal author had a book out with a Christian disrupting the process and being led away in cuffs, you guys would be laughing. STFU and swallow your own medicine.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
STFU ?

Isn't that exactly what the jack-booted cop said?

STFU

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I can't wait until Sen. SANTORIUM (R. PA) s tossed out on his ass...

m_dixon1984
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
HAHAHAHA - Dan Savage (AKA - Hey, Faggot) is hilarious. You can check him out every week in The Onion or at www.theonion.com. Here's a link to the Santorum definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorum_(word)

M

And here's the definition...

Santorum

Savage reacted strongly to United States Senator Rick Santorum's statements about homosexuality in an interview with the Associated Press published April 20, 2003. (See Santorum controversy for the details.) In the interview, Santorum describes homosexual acts as part of a class of deviant sexual behavior, including incest, polygamy, and zoophilia, which he said threaten society and the family. Furthermore Santorum stated that he believed consenting adults do not have a Constitutional right to privacy with respect to sexual acts.

Savage was outraged by these statements. At the suggestion of a reader, Savage challenged his audience to come up with a sex-related definition for the word santorum as a satirical form of political protest, a smear campaign for the express purpose of "memorializ[ing] the Santorum scandal […] by attaching his name to a sex act that would make his big, white teeth fall out of his big, empty head".

After Savage published several definitions suggested by readers, a vote was taken among the readers of his column. The winning definition

"the frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex"

was announced in the June 12, 2003 column.

Fans of Savage (among others) have made a concerted effort to make the newly coined term a part of the English language, setting up a web site[2] for the purpose and employing Google bombing to drive that site to the first result slot for a Google search on "santorum". At its annual meeting in January 2005, the American Dialect Society selected "santorum" as the "Most Outrageous" word of the year 2004.

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Or to use in a sentence.......

Jesterstar awoke bathed in his own Santorum.....again.

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Much ado about nothing. If some liberal author had a book out with a Christian disrupting the process and being led away in cuffs, you guys would be laughing. STFU and swallow your own medicine.

:gulp:

I agree with you in principle, Bri, however that's not the point of the thread / story.

It was the strong arm intimidation tactics OVER A JOKE that got me.

They weren't "disrupting the process" in any way.

Had they been heckling or causing an interruption you'd be correct.

THEY SIMPLY TOLD A JOKE THAT WAS OVERHEARD BY AN OVER SENSITIVE SANTORUM FLUNKY

The fact that it was Rick " Liberals are to blame for Catholic Pedophilia" Santorum was just icing on the cake.

Had someone made a joke at a Clinton book signing you'd be saying the same thing.

:cool:

diamondD
08-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Drew Fennell, executive director of the Delaware ACLU, sees the incident in a larger context. “This is trickle down from Bush: Politicians are now keeping away, out of sight, anybody who disagrees with them,” she says. “If the Senator’s staff was so put off by the idea he might be asked a difficult question that they brought in the police, that’s a sad commentary on the state of political discourse. ”

Doesn't get much dumber than that. Bad cops with attitudes have been around forever. I guarantee he's just as much an asshole over a traffic ticket if he feels he can bully the person.

State troopers have always guarded politicians of all parties. This guy's an idiot.

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Doesn't get much dumber than that. Bad cops with attitudes have been around forever. I guarantee he's just as much an asshole over a traffic ticket if he feels he can bully the person.

State troopers have always guarded politicians of all parties. This guy's an idiot.

Well said dd

Thanks for "getting it"

kentuckyklira
08-25-2005, 06:23 AM
You´re living in the "Land of the Free" and don´t you forget that!:o

diamondD
08-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Well said dd

Thanks for "getting it"

I've had more than enough encounters wtih smart ass cops. ;) :cool:

DrMaddVibe
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
That's a funny story!

Keeyth
08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Power corrupts... ...and cops are the worst. They think they can play God, literally. It's disgusting.

jacksmar
08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a38d7f76d7017.htm

And lounge, you don't know a lot about Joe McCarthy. I suggest The Venona Project.

jacksmar
08-26-2005, 03:13 PM
BTW< McCarthyism was coined by Washington Post cartoonist Herblock, the term was actually introduced by the Communists to discredit their opposition.