Clear All
  • monkeythe
    Foot Soldier
    • Apr 2004

Dwight Gooden

Police still searching for former baseball star Dwight Gooden
    Posted: Wednesday Aug 24, 2005 8:43 PM
    FREE EMAIL ALERTS EMAIL THIS PRINT THIS SAVE THIS MOST POPULAR

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Police talked to relatives and acquaintances of Dwight Gooden for a third day Wednesday in their effort to find and arrest the former baseball star, who fled after being pulled over on suspicion of drunken driving.

Authorities say the 41-year-old Gooden was visibly intoxicated when he was pulled over for driving erratically near downtown Tampa early Monday. He twice refused to get out of the car for a field sobriety test, drove away suddenly and hasn't been seen since, police said.

Officers have visited his two known residences in Tampa, made contact with family members, former drug counselors and every attorney who has represented him, and talked to his former employer, the New York Yankees, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

Everyone was "extremely cooperative,'' she said, but no one has seen him. Police don't even know if he's still in the Tampa area.

"It's a sad situation for someone who obviously has a serious problem and is adding to his own problems by his actions right now,'' McElroy said.

Gooden, who has a history of substance abuse and currently has a domestic violence charge pending in the court, is wanted on felony charges of DUI and fleeing police, and a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest without violence.

The 1984 Rookie of the Year and the 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner while with the New York Mets, Gooden went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Gooden was arrested by Tampa police in 2002 on a drunken driving charge, but later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and received a year probation. He was charged with hitting his live-in girlfriend in March.

While playing with the Mets in 1994, Gooden was suspended 60 days for a positive cocaine test. The drug came up again in a test during his suspension and he was sidelined for the 1995 season.

He recently worked for the Yankees as a special adviser but quit in April.

Gooden's nephew and fellow Tampa native, Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield, said the family has "tried everything'' to straighten him out. "I've done everything I can possibly do,'' Sheffield said Tuesday.
  • DlocRoth
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Fuckin sad....

That dude had fucking talent...
    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• redblkwht
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Like tyson nothing to do
      after the last hurrah..

i cant comprehend anyone
      who would rather kill their own
      legend status for drugs
      & abuse women..

EUAS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

TAMPA, Fla. -- Dwight Gooden will be jailed without bail until an October hearing, a judge ruled Friday, three days after the former star pitcher fled police during a DUI traffic stop.

Gooden

Gooden, dressed in an orange jail outfit and shackled at the wrists and ankles, looked gaunt in court as he was flanked by his mother and lawyer. He didn't speak during the brief hearing except to acknowledge the judge's questions with a "yes, sir" or "no, sir."

State Circuit Judge Nick Nazaretian approved an agreement between both sides that will allow the former All-Star to enter a secured substance abuse treatment facility if a bed becomes available. Gooden also has a March domestic violence charge pending with the court.

Gooden's attorney, Peter Hobson, would not say where the 40-year-old Tampa native had been or what he had been doing since driving away from the officer near downtown at about 2:40 a.m. Monday. The lawyer asked for privacy for Gooden and his family.

Gooden appeared in court for the first time since surrendering to police Thursday. He had been missing since speeding away from an officer who stopped him on suspicion of drunken driving early Monday.

Nazaretian set an Oct. 25 hearing on the latest charges, which include a felony count of fleeing police and misdemeanor charges of DUI and resisting arrest without violence.

Gooden was pulled over in his 2004 BMW for driving erratically, police said. Slurring his words and smelling of alcohol, he twice refused to get out of the car for a field sobriety test and bolted while the officer was still holding his driver's license, police said.

Investigators had been talking to Hobson all week about his client's surrender but were surprised when the two turned up at a Hillsborough County jail Thursday afternoon.

"I think it's clear that he recognizes he needs help," said prosecutor Pam Bondi, who agreed to let Gooden try to get into treatment for "evaluation of an alcohol and/or drug problem."

The attorneys said it wasn't clear if or when space would become available for Gooden.

These latest developments mean both Gooden and his 19-year-old son, Dwight Jr., are in jail. The younger Gooden was arrested this month for violating his probation on a cocaine possession conviction and faces additional charges after police said they found marijuana and bullets in his car parked outside a nightclub.

Nazaretian commended the elder Gooden for turning himself in, saying "if police had picked you up, we wouldn't be talking right now."

"That's the first sign toward getting things better in your life," the judge told him. "I hope you can turn this around."

Gooden, the 1984 rookie of the year and 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner while with the Mets, went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the Yankees, Indians, Astros and Devil Rays.

Gooden was arrested by Tampa police in 2002 on a drunken driving charge but later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and received a year's probation. He was arrested in March and charged with hitting his live-in girlfriend in the face during an argument. Bondi said Gooden most likely would negotiate a plea deal on the domestic violence charge.

During his playing days, Gooden was suspended for 60 days in 1994 for testing positive for cocaine while with the Mets. He tested positive for cocaine again while on suspension and was sidelined for the 1995 season. He recently worked for the Yankees as a special adviser but quit in April.
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

These latest developments mean both Gooden and his 19-year-old son, Dwight Jr., are in jail. The younger Gooden was arrested this month for violating his probation on a cocaine possession conviction and faces additional charges after police said they found marijuana and bullets in his car parked outside a nightclub.
          [/B]
          Jesus...nothing like fucking following in your dad's fucking footsteps...

shameful...fucking shameful...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• WARF
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Oh man, do I have a story about Strawberry.

I hanged out with him one night a few months ago...

It's so wild you won't believe me!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Do tell...was Pete there?...lmfao...

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

"I think it's clear that he recognizes he needs help," said prosecutor Pam Bondi, who agreed to let Gooden try to get into treatment for "evaluation of an alcohol and/or drug problem."

he didn't recognize that he needed help in the past, why will this time be any different?
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...