PDA

View Full Version : best damn tone

sammysucks65
08-27-2005, 02:10 PM
my apologies if there is A THREad like this...but what guitaristsj tone is your favorite.

mine are slash from gnr...demenstrated perfectly in november rain
and randy rhoads classic distorted guitar tone in any of his work with ozzy but escpecially in over the mountain off madman

POST AWAY!

Matt White
08-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Hmmm...good question!

EVH---CLASSIC VAN HALEN I - FAIR WARNING

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN---EVRYTHING

YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN---Killer tone

AC/DC---BALLSY TONE

BrownSound1
08-27-2005, 02:28 PM
I think my username already states my favorite guitar tone. If I have to be specific, then it would be Ed's tone on VH1, VH2, and Fair Warning. It isn't over-processed, or anything like that. No distortion pedals...just raw ass Marshall Super Lead with everything dimed.

Big Fat Sammy
08-27-2005, 02:59 PM
SRV hands down.

The El Macombo video in particular.

Don Corleone
08-27-2005, 03:46 PM
EVH - VH1/Fair Warning Tone
Adrian Smith's tone - all era's of Maiden
Paul Weller - All Mod Cons (a Rik through a Vox AC30 with a hint of distortion)

Soul Reaper
08-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Eric Johnson - crystal like tone
Pat Metheny - beauty incarnate (the tone)
Yngwie Malmsteen - very good killer tone
Steve Vai - instantly recognisable tone

Big Fat Sammy
08-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Lets not forget Billy Gibbons!

Dig the tone on the Rhythmeen album....probably my fav overdrive tone ever!

zeronumber
08-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Eric Clapton - Pretending.

jackassrock
08-28-2005, 11:52 AM
King Buzzo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the Melvins)
Tommy Victor (Prong)

Gibbons for sure.
Dave Gilmour
Some Jimmy Page

sammysucks65
08-28-2005, 04:58 PM
i like the gibbons trademark sound especially in his solos

guitarboy5150
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
David Gilmour:From DSOTM to The Wall
EVH:VH1, VH2, WACF, 1984
Jimmy Page:Led Zeppelin to Led Zeppelin IV
Hendrix:All
SRV:All
Clapton:All Cream, Live tone on Crossroads DVD

Brett
08-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Ed's FW tone.

A tone nobody seems to ever be able to duplicate.

Tex
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Billy Gibbon's tone on Brown Sugar.

cdwillis
08-30-2005, 09:46 PM
My favorite heavy metal tone is Dimebag Darrells tone on Vulgar Display of Power.

My favorite rock tone is probably the Van Halen I tone. It has balls, it's not overproduced and you can pick out all the notes.

BruinJer
08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
The concert was complete garbage but the tone Eddie had on his guitar was un-fucking-real... it was a Van Halen (3) concert broadcast during the VHIII tour from Pittsburgh on MTV. The man was ON that night! Too bad that fruit Gary Cherone was fronting the band.

Nitro Express
09-01-2005, 02:42 AM
I went to a VH3 show just to watch Eddie play the old songs again. Man, you are right sir, Ed was spot on. In fact, to be honest, it was the best playing I've ever seen Ed do live. Having Gary Cherone up there sucked. I don't know why Eddie sucks so bad now because it wasn't too long ago that he could play.

My favorite guitar tones are:

1 Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen I)
2. Ynngwie Malmsteen (The older I get the more I appreciate this guy)
3. Jimmy Page (I never tire of Led Zeppelin)
4. Henry Garza (Los Lonely Boys, The latest guitar player who just blew me away watching him play live.)
5. Dick Dale (Fun as hell to watch live, this dude invented shred a long time ago)

Big Fat Sammy
09-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Dick Dale's tone is a staple of American music...you hear it copied in commercials, etc...

Saw him once, he is fun to watch...especially stoned and right in front of him. :D I touched his guitar a few times while he was playing...but he didn't notice 'cause his eyes were closed. :D

This chick beside me lit up a cig, and Dick looked down (while RIPPING the guitar a new one) and said, we read his lips..."Smoking is bad for your health" :D

And while I'm on a Stones kick of late, another great distorted tone is Keith Richards on 999.

Agreed on the VHIII live tone/playing as well.

tripper
11-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Totally agree...anyone who saw/listened to Ed's tone on the VH III tour knows what I'm talking about! First time in a looooong while he brought some classice..like SGMD, Unchained, I'm the one, Romeo Delight, Dance the night away, Jamie, Cryin......whew!!!! unbelievable tone!! Cherone was a terrible front man!