PDA

View Full Version : Tap Harmonics?

zeronumber
08-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Now that I understand a bit more of pitch harmonics, and how to get it done upon request(certian notes anyway)...

I now move on to Tap harmoics.

Just what the hell is tap harmonics anyway?
What's a good "CVH" song that uses it for an example for me to hear...

And ...well...

How the hell do I go about doing it?

Matt White
08-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
Now that I understand a bit more of pitch harmonics, and how to get it done upon request(certian notes anyway)...

I now move on to Tap harmoics.

Just what the hell is tap harmonics anyway?
What's a good "CVH" song that uses it for an example for me to hear...

And ...well...

"WOMEN IN LOVE"

Hold any note on the guitar....tap exactly 12 frets higher on the same string..tap directlty above the fret (Hold the High E 3rd fret...tap the High E at the 15th)....

Viola! Tappped Harmonics!

Hold a chord...tap all notes 12 frest higher......Instant EVH.....

Redballjets88
08-28-2005, 02:46 AM
and he does it again

*crowd goes wild*

instant matt chant

Matt White
08-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
and he does it again

*crowd goes wild*

instant matt chant

LOLThanks man!

A similar cool trick....

Bend the G(3rd) string at the 5th fret....lightly & quickly touch above the 17th fret on the same string...release bend.....really howls!!!:D
Of course...you have to be using a ton of gain to get the desired effect.

nosuchluck
08-28-2005, 12:01 PM
they work on the same principle as natural harmonics.

natural harmonics can be found all over the fretboard, but the ones that are easiest to 'sound' are the ones at the 12th, 7th, 5th frets. the harmonic on the 12th fret is the same note as the open string - ie., if you play the natural harmonic on the A string on the 12th fret, the harmonic will be an A. the 5th fret harmonic will also be an A, but an octave higher. the 7th fret harmonic will be the 5th of A, which is E.
now natural harmonics are for open strings - hence they can only pertain to a limited number of notes.
tapped harmonics are used to sound harmonics for all the notes possible. all one has to do is fret a note and tap the string 12 frets higher than the note, to get the harmonic of the same note. tap 5 frets higher than the fretted note and you'll get the harmonic of the note, but in a higher octave. tap 7 frets above the note and you get the harmonic of the 5th note.

for practice, its best to start on the A string.

Don Corleone
08-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Another good one (and one Ed uses often) is whilst bending the G (3rd string) at the 7th fret to tap the 12th fret. Continue bending the string and then tap the 14th fret before slowly releasing the bend and tapping the 12th fret again.

Brett
08-28-2005, 12:55 PM
There's a ton of tapped harmonics on "Dance The Night Away." Every chorus and the break uses the same technique.

The bend at the G 7th fret, tapped 12th and 14th thing Ed used a lot during the Sammy era stuff, so if you listen to "5150" (yeah I know guys, 5150), it's almost on every solo.

BrownSound1
08-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I've used that a time or two. ;)

Don Corleone
08-28-2005, 01:25 PM
There's also the intro for Spainish Fly as well.

nosuchluck
08-28-2005, 01:58 PM
i love that bit in "Girl Gone Bad" , where Ed plays those tapped harmonics right before the vocals kick in. sounds damn cool...

Seshmeister
08-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Brett

The bend at the G 7th fret, tapped 12th and 14th thing Ed used a lot during the Sammy era stuff, so if you listen to "5150" (yeah I know guys, 5150), it's almost on every solo.

Different argument but that's the thing about post Roth EVH playing.

He keeps repeating himself - he lost it.

Brett
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Whatever Sesh,, this is a guitar technique thread, not a bash EVH thread. Someone wanted to know where to hear him doing that stuff, that's where he does it a lot.

zeronumber
09-12-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks guys.

Matt White
09-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Another cool EVH move ZN....

Rapidly trill the 4th string & lightly run your pinky up the same string simultaneously.....

VIOLA! More EVH tricks!!!

Soul Reaper
09-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber

it's actually pretty easy when you get used to it....e.g. when you fret a note with the left hand on, let's say, the 5th fret on the A string, lightly tap an octave higher (17th fret) and it makes a harmonic on that fret (17th). But you don't have to tap an octave higher from the fret, experiment on other frets on that string....and in different positions

GAR
09-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Take a busted G-string;

- insert self into cochring
- tie one end of G-string (or thongpiece) onto yer bell-end
- tie the other end to a 1lb spool of solder
- drop spool down your pantleg, adjust length if needed so as not to drag on ground

http://www.kingsnake.com/emeralds/004.jpg

Voila! Instant schrporruck-stretcher...

zeronumber
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Whaaa?

Matt White
09-16-2005, 11:36 PM
GAR has the answers.......you must ascertain the question.....