PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC - CVH : a comparison ?

flappo
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
bothe lost their original , charismatic lead singers in the prime of their formation ( ok diff reasons ) both lead to ultimately shyte careers

anyone agree ?

Golden AWe
08-28-2005, 01:48 PM
hmmm...I do like "Back in black" too, no matter how much I'm from the Bon Scott-camp...

Brett
08-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Bon's the man, but I don't think you can argue about how good "Back in Black" is. "For Those About To Rock" is decent as well. I think everything after that minus a few songs on "Razor's Edge" is pretty much crapola though.

FORD
08-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Both groups released 6 albums of the greatest music ever made.

Both should have changed the name of the band after losing the lead singer who was half the band's identity.

But of course, Ac/Dc with Brian Johnson wins hands down over Van Hagar. They weren't the same band, but at least they remained a ROCK band.

Unchainme
08-28-2005, 04:14 PM
And at least AC/DC didn't to need to make ballads to try and get hits.

Bill Lumbergh
08-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I prefer the Bon era big time, but I have grown into a Brian Johnson fan over time. Those mid-late 80's albums sucked major league cock for the most part, though.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
FORD said it all very well, IMO.

Van Hagar sucks monkey balls (but not in hell, unfortunately), but at least some of post-Bon Scott AC/DC records are top stuff (Back in Black, Razor's Edge and Stiff Upper Lip).
The loss of identity was big in both groups, but B. Johnson never was more than a new vocalist (he never tried to act as the guy who can do it IN BON'S SHOES) and he has always kept his mouth shut in between.

Musically speaking, AC/DC carried on being what they were with Bon (a fucking exciting rock 'n' roll machine) in spite of weak albums after Back in Black (4 1/2) and between Razor's Edge and Stiff Upper Lip (one)... While they never stopped kicking ass on stage.
Van Hag never stopped spoiling the glorious background left by Dave.

It was a good idea to suggest to compare both bands. But it leaves you even more pissed as a CVH fan, wondering if there's any WORSE waste than Van Halen...

DavidLeeNatra
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
brian johnson always payed the highest respect to bon scott...he is a cool guy, has a god humor and puts on a good show...do I prefer bon scott? maybe yes, because he was the original singer but I got to see two absolutely fantastic concerts with BJ and would always go again...can I say that about van hagar...guess not...

Jérôme Frenchise
08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
AC/DC fans are "spoiled" as compared to CVH fans as well when you think of all the material that was released: "Let there be rock" (Jan. 1980 concert in Paris), the "Bonfire" boxed set and the recent 2-DVD set, "Family Jewels", with that whole disc dedicated to Bon Scott...

All we got was 3 vids with Dave, considering you had to buy the rest which was Van Hag crap, and two videos with the not-funny clown from Cabo... Damnation!:mad:

Mr Badguy
08-29-2005, 06:59 PM
What`s wrong with Brian Johnson?

Listen to his singing on the "For those about to rock" album and hear one of the best rock vocal performances ever.

I don`t think it`s fair to compare him to Bon, it wasn`t as if they fired Bon to get someone better.

I don`t think their post 1980 career has been shite.

A few good-but-not-great albums aside, they have flown the flag for uncompromising, unashamed anthemic rock.

AND they still don`t do ballads.

rustoffa
08-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah, Johnson had some mighty big shoes to fill. The success of Back In Black and their continued viability is nothing short of amazing when compared to other front-man replacement deals.

I saw 'em on the Highway To Hell tour and many times since. Actually, the comparison of the raw, no-frills Bon show v/s the huge later productions is a good one. Both fantastic in their own regard.

ben halen
08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I guess I prefer the Bon era as a whole , but gotta give it to Back in Black over my favorite Bon albums, Let There be Rock and Highway to Hell.

No Van Hagar album should even be mentioned in the same sentence as any CVH album.

Never!!!

Anonymous
08-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
What`s wrong with Brian Johnson?

Listen to his singing on the "For those about to rock" album and hear one of the best rock vocal performances ever.

I don`t think it`s fair to compare him to Bon, it wasn`t as if they fired Bon to get someone better.

I don`t think their post 1980 career has been shite.

A few good-but-not-great albums aside, they have flown the flag for uncompromising, unashamed anthemic rock.

AND they still don`t do ballads.

These points are so valid they deserve a quote, just to make you read 'em again.

Cheers! :bottle:

Matt White
08-30-2005, 08:31 PM
I just heard "Flick of the Switch" the other day....

Not as bad as I remembered........

AC/DC did the best they could under the circumstances......

THe Sisters have done everything possible to sabotage their own careers after DAVE pulled the plug........

AC/DC in a landslide over the sisters......

DAVE IS STILL THE MAN

Rebel
08-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Both eras of AC/DC were awesome IMO. Bon Scott was the man no doubt, but Johnson has done well, and it's not like he refuses to play any of their classic tunes.

VH changed alot more with the singer change.

Panamark
08-31-2005, 03:49 AM
AC/DC still kick ass live with Brian.
They never compromised their sound either.
Van Hagar sucked both onstage and in the studio.

Van Hagar definately went downhill, but AC/DC remained
a great Band, especially live, where they have slaughtered
Van Hagar for decades.

(All over the world)

Panamark
08-31-2005, 03:51 AM
Van Hagar couldnt even average 8000 people a night on their
"big reunion" tour... Hell they couldnt even tour past the US.

AC/DC wins this shit, no contest.

We could bring Worldwide album sales in too, if anyone is in
a "Defend Van Hagar" mode...