PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' about replacing my current Floyd Rose trem...

fret_buzz_blues
08-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Ok, I have a Jackson, and it has one of them licensed Floyd Rose trems. I want to replace it with an Original Floyd Rose. Any suggestions on that, like good places to buy one? I was looking at the Speedloader, is that any good?

BrownSound1
08-29-2005, 12:45 AM
The Speedloader is cool, but you have to buy those special strings. I would figure the Original Floyd would be the easiest to swap to.

fret_buzz_blues
08-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Are those special strings any good?

Don Corleone
08-29-2005, 03:11 AM
They're no better than regular strings from what I understand.

fret_buzz_blues
08-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh...so maybe I'll just get the Original Floyd Rose. Any good places to purchase them?

BrownSound1
08-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Those strings are of a calibrated length, so when you pop them in they are immediately in tune. Those new Floyd guitars have no tuning machines on them except fine tuners. Cool concept.

Brett
08-30-2005, 03:02 AM
Original Floyd Roses are expensive, but IMO they are so far superior to any of the licensed crap out there. I see them on Ebay, they usually go used for $120 or so, sometimes I've seen them lower. Keep checking Ebay, or even some ot the guitar sites. I post on KramerForum.com a lot and guys there are always dumping stuff for reasonable prices.

fret_buzz_blues
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I've seen that they're $180 on some sites. Is the Speedloader just as great as the Original Floyd Rose, or is the difference just that it gets the strings on faster?

Don Corleone
08-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Original Floyd Roses are expensive, but IMO they are so far superior to any of the licensed crap out there

Got to disagree with you there Brett. I've got original Floyds and a Gotoh licensed one, and imo the Gotoh smokes the Floyd (point of interest here: EVH fitted the Gotoh to his own EBMM guitars)

jhale667
08-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I prefer original Floyds to Gotohs....gotta disagree with YOU ;)

PS: I think you can still get original Floyds from places like Carvin even, online....like $150-160 last time I checked.....just gotta look around....:rolleyes:

Don Corleone
08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
At the end of the day it comes down personal preference.

jhale667
08-30-2005, 02:25 PM
So true.

Jimmy Jingles
08-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
I prefer original Floyds to Gotohs....gotta disagree with YOU ;)

PS: I think you can still get original Floyds from places like Carvin even, online....like $150-160 last time I checked.....just gotta look around....:rolleyes:

But Carvin sells them without the locking nut. You have to buy the nut seperate for an addition $28.

Check www.warmoth.com They sell them for $170 with the locking nut included.

BrownSound1
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by fret_buzz_blues
I've seen that they're $180 on some sites. Is the Speedloader just as great as the Original Floyd Rose, or is the difference just that it gets the strings on faster?

Well the Speedloader is cool, but as far as me personally, I don't want to have to buy strings made specifically for a type of bridge. It is much easier to go get a regular set of strings and cut the ball ends off.

I have only played with a Speedloader for a couple of hours...so I can't tell you if it is a great as the Original Floyd. It definitely didn't make me just HAVE to have it. Who knows what the future holds for the Speedloader...suppose it doesn't take off, and there you'd be.

jhale667
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jimmyjingles
But Carvin sells them without the locking nut. You have to buy the nut seperate for an addition $28.

Check www.warmoth.com They sell them for $170 with the locking nut included.

...You should always buy the nut separately, as there's 5 different versions. Can't believe I forgot about Warmoth selling --- I'm usually the guy singing the praises of Warmoth on this site:D