Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Mayor: Katrina May Have Killed Thousands

Mayor: Katrina May Have Killed Thousands
    By BRETT MARTEL, Associated Press Writer
    38 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina probably killed thousands of people in New Orleans, the mayor said Wednesday _ an estimate that, if accurate, would make the storm the nation's deadliest natural disaster since at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

"We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water," and other people dead in attics, Mayor Ray Nagin said. Asked how many, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands."

The frightening estimate came as Army engineers struggled to plug New Orleans' breached levees with giant sandbags and concrete barriers, while authorities drew up plans to clear out the tens of thousands of people left in the Big Easy and all but abandon the flooded-out city. Many of the evacuees _ including thousands now staying in the Superdome _ will be moved to the Astrodome in Houston, 350 miles away.

There will be a "total evacuation of the city. We have to. The city will not be functional for two or three months," Nagin said. And he said people will not be allowed back into their homes for at least a month or two.

Nagin estimated 50,000 to 100,000 people remained in New Orleans, a city of nearly half a million people. He said 14,000 to 15,000 a day could be evacuated.

The Pentagon, meanwhile, began mounting one of the largest search-and-rescue operations in U.S. history, sending four Navy ships to the Gulf Coast with drinking water and other emergency supplies, along with the hospital ship USNS Comfort, search helicopters and elite SEAL water-rescue teams. American Red Cross workers from across the country converged on the devastated region in the agency's biggest-ever relief operation.

Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast on Monday just east of New Orleans with howling, 145-mile wind. The death toll has reached at least 110 in Mississippi alone. But the full magnitude of the disaster had been unclear for days; Louisiana has been putting aside the counting of the dead to concentrate on rescuing the living, many of whom were still trapped on rooftops and in attics.

If the mayor's estimate holds true, it would make Katrina the nation's deadliest hurricane since 1900, when a storm in Galveston, Texas, killed between 6,000 and 12,000 people. The death toll in the San Francisco earthquake and the resulting fire has been put at anywhere from about 500 to 6,000.

State officials said the mayor's figure seemed plausible.

Lt. Kevin Cowan of the state Office of Emergency Preparedness said there is no way to determine with any accuracy how many died. But he noted that since thousands of people had been rescued from roofs and attics, it could be assumed that there were lots of others who were not saved.

"You have a limited number of resources, for an unknown number of evacuees. It's already been several days. You've had reports there are casualties. You all can do the math," he said.

A full day after the Big Easy thought it had escaped Katrina's full fury, two levees broke and spilled water into the streets Tuesday, swamping an estimated 80 percent of the bowl-shaped, below-sea-level city, inundating miles and miles of homes and rendering much of New Orleans uninhabitable for weeks or months.

Around midday, officials with the state and the Army Corps of Engineers said the water levels between the city and Lake Pontchartrain had equalized, and water had stopped pouring into New Orleans, and even appeared to be falling, at least in some places. But the danger was far from over.

The Army Corps of Engineers said it planned to use heavy-duty Chinook helicopters to drop 15,000-pound bags of sand and stone as early as Wednesday night into the 500-foot gap in the failed floodwall.

But the agency said it was having trouble getting the sandbags and dozens of 15-foot highway barriers to the site because the city's waterways were blocked by loose barges, boats and large debris.

Officials said they were also looking at a more audacious plan: finding a barge to plug the 500-foot hole.

"The challenge is an engineering nightmare," the governor said on ABC's "Good Morning America."

With the streets awash and looters brazenly cleaning out stores with law enforcement officers too busy to do anything about it, authorities planned to move at least 25,000 of the New Orleans' storm refugees to the Astrodome in a vast, two-day caravan of some 475 buses.

Many of the city's storm refugees _ 15,000 to 20,000 people _ were in the Superdome, which had become hot and stuffy, with broken toilets and nowhere for anyone to bathe. "It can no longer operate as a shelter of last resort," the mayor said.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said the situation was desperate and there was no choice but to clear out.

"The logistical problems are impossible and we have to evacuate people in shelters," the governor said. "It's becoming untenable. There's no power. It's getting more difficult to get food and water supplies in, just basic essentials."

Walter Baumy of the Army Corps of Engineers said that it could be weeks before the water is removed from the city, but that he is confident New Orleans' pumps, once they are back in service, can handle the load.

As the sense of desperation deepened in New Orleans, hundreds of people wandered up and down Interstate 10, pushing shopping carts, laundry racks, anything they could find to carry their belongings. Dozens of fishermen from up to 200 miles away floated in on caravans of boats to pull residents out of flooded neighborhoods.

On some of the few roads that were still passable, people waved at passing cars with empty water jugs, begging for relief. Hundreds of people appeared to have spent the night on a crippled highway.

In one east New Orleans neighborhood, refugees were loaded onto the backs of moving vans like cattle, and in one case emergency workers with a sledgehammer and an ax broke open the back of a mail truck and used it to ferry sick and elderly residents.

Police officers were asking residents to give up any guns they had before they boarded buses and trucks because police desperately needed the firepower: Some officers who had been stranded on the roof of a motel said they were being shot at overnight.

The sweltering city of 480,000 people _ an estimated 80 percent of whom obeyed orders to evacuate as Katrina closed in over the weekend _ had no drinkable water, the electricity could be out for weeks, and looters were ransacking stores around town.

Sections of Interstate 10, the only major freeway leading into New Orleans from the east, lay shattered, dozens of huge slabs of concrete floating in the floodwaters. I-10 is the only route for commercial trucking across southern Louisiana.

In addition to the Houston Astrodome solution, the Federal Emergency Management Agency was considering putting people on cruise ships, in tent cities, mobile home parks, and so-called floating dormitories _ boats the agency uses to house its own employees.

A helicopter view of the devastation over Louisiana and Mississippi revealed people standing on black rooftops, baking in the sunshine while waiting for rescue boats.

Looting broke out in some New Orleans neighborhoods, prompting authorities to send more than 70 additional officers and an armed personnel carrier into the city. One police officer was shot in the head by a looter but was expected to recover, authorities said.

A giant new Wal-Mart in New Orleans was looted, and the entire gun collection was taken, The Times-Picayune newspaper reported. "There are gangs of armed men in the city moving around the city," said Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security chief.

The governor acknowledged that looting was a severe problem but said that officials had to focus on survivors. "We don't like looters one bit, but first and foremost is search and rescue," she said.

In Washington, the Bush administration decided to release crude oil from federal petroleum reserves to help refiners whose supply was disrupted by Katrina. The announcement helped push oil prices lower.

___

Associated Press reporters Holbrook Mohr, Mary Foster, Allen G. Breed, Adam Nossiter and Jay Reeves contributed to this report.
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Re: Mayor: Katrina May Have Killed Thousands

Originally posted by Warham
    "You have a limited number of resources, for an unknown number of evacuees. It's already been several days. You've had reports there are casualties. You all can do the math," he said.
    Hmm.. not enough support to keep looters at bay, repair the damage, distribute supplies... I wonder why?

That's why it's called the "National" Guard, not the "Iraq" Guard...
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I sure hope that number is not true.

This is going to hurt the economy...The price of construction materials were already high because of IRAQ...

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

The footage I'm seeing on TV is just unreal.

The fact that they won't even be able to go into the city again in months. It's like something out of a Mad Max movie.

Comment

• scorpioboy33
          Commando
          • Jul 2004

The thing that sickens me is all the bottom feeders that are looting the stores. Soliders that could be helping people are being pulled off that duty because armed gangs and looters are taking advantage of this horrible situation and stealing. One lady I seen being interviewed said she had to feed her family...by stealing a computer??? pathetc

Comment

• ODShowtime
            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by scorpioboy33
            The thing that sickens me is all the bottom feeders that are looting the stores. Soliders that could be helping people are being pulled off that duty because armed gangs and looters are taking advantage of this horrible situation and stealing. One lady I seen being interviewed said she had to feed her family...by stealing a computer??? pathetc
            I don't think we can judge those people.

1. Have you ever experienced mob mentality? When you don't know where your next meal or sip of water will come from? That will turn anyone into an animal!

2. You can try to barter stuff for food and water, and that's probably what those desperate people are thinking.

The situation is horrible. Don't judge those people for trying to survive.

This shit is fucked up. New Orleans is gone.:eek:
            gnaw on it

Comment

• scorpioboy33
              Commando
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime

1. Have you ever experienced mob mentality? When you don't know where your next meal or sip of water will come from? That will turn anyone into an animal!

2. You can try to barter stuff for food and water, and that's probably what those desperate people are thinking.

true enough...I hope they are all safe but it seems that a lot of people take advantage of these situations...remember the Rodney King Riots in LA? Same thing people taking advantage. But your right I am going to go to Pay Pal and make a donation and hope others follow suit. But I also am all for taking out the looters...

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Well, If you have no food and no water, you need to survive right? I have no problem if people take food and water so they can live and eventually get the hell out of the city.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

I think we can judge them.

They are criminals. It's that simple.

Looting for the sake of food and water is one thing.

Steeling armloads of Nikes and TV's and electronics is another.

The police prohibit looting because it actually ENCOURAGES further crime later on. They rip each other off, stab each other, shoot each other, etc.... all in the name of a hundred dollars worth of merchandise.

If they want to clean out the food stores...fine.

Cleaning out retail stores is NOT fine.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• ODShowtime
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                    I think we can judge them.

They are criminals. It's that simple.

Looting for the sake of food and water is one thing.

Steeling armloads of Nikes and TV's and electronics is another.

The police prohibit looting because it actually ENCOURAGES further crime later on. They rip each other off, stab each other, shoot each other, etc.... all in the name of a hundred dollars worth of merchandise.

If they want to clean out the food stores...fine.

Cleaning out retail stores is NOT fine.

Of course YOU can judge them. Your type makes a living out of judging people.

I didn't say it wasn't a crime, and I didn't say it shouldn't be forceably discouraged. But you have no right to judge those people. Have you ever had your entire existence wiped out?
                    gnaw on it

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Of course YOU can judge them. Your type makes a living out of judging people.

I didn't say it wasn't a crime, and I didn't say it shouldn't be forceably discouraged. But you have no right to judge those people. Have you ever had your entire existence wiped out?
                      Pretty much. Hurricane Hugo.

Any other questions?

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

No shit! Like I said in LA during the Rodney King thing..it had nothing to do with Survival it had everything to do with Greed. I'm not saying it's only blacks because I know that can't be true but I have to admit when stuff like this happens there tends to be alot of Black people involved maybe because the are on the bottom of the barrel economically or because the lack jobs but it really is freaking making me wonder are some blacks not reinforcing their own stereotypes. I really hate thinking this way but it is what I've been wondering

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

No shit! Like I said in LA during the Rodney King thing..it had nothing to do with Survival it had everything to do with Greed. I'm not saying it's only blacks because I know that can't be true but I have to admit when stuff like this happens there tends to be alot of Black people involved maybe because the are on the bottom of the barrel economically or because the lack jobs but it really is freaking making me wonder are some blacks not reinforcing their own stereotypes. I really hate thinking this way but it is what I've been wondering
                          opps just one more thing....could it be that some people didn't leave because they considered the possiblity of taking advantage or was it just not possible to leave?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

No shit! Like I said in LA during the Rodney King thing..it had nothing to do with Survival it had everything to do with Greed.
                            It's not only blacks that do it , but New Orleans, the downtown area, is predominantly African-American.

I used to live in Pascagoula, MS (home of my good friend Senator Trent Lott ) on the coast not too far from Biloxi and Gulfport where alot of the major damage from Katrina is. There was a hurricane there (minor) just before we moved there. Between here, Charleston, and down on the Gulf Coast, it seems I've been following hurricane activity quite a bit.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

maybe because the are on the bottom of the barrel economically
                              The poor are generally doing the worst through this, like most times. They have less education to convince them to flee and less resources to help them flee or stock up to survive the aftermath.
                              gnaw on it

Comment

Working...