PDA

View Full Version : Charvel EVH Art Series Guitar

theicecreamman
09-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Anyone got one of these? If so is it worth the money?

guitarboy5150
09-02-2005, 06:11 PM
those guitars are a knock off of a classic and from what i have seen they are not selling very well...ur better off making a replica of one of those

jhale667
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I've played a few of them...not into the small 1 5/8" nut width, but they have the Duncan EVH/78 pickup in them, which I like...price is a bit steep. I'll probably just build one too!

ThrillsNSpills
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I think the one Matt made looks better and he built it.

I like the maple necks on these but for 2700 I agree it would be better to make your own.

Matt White
09-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Make your own....

Way cheaper...you'll have a BETTER guitar.....

and a sense of accomplishment.......

ANd a "certain" drunk won't have more money for Booze & smokes.....

YOU WILL!!!!

Cathedral
09-02-2005, 07:22 PM
So, does this mean that my early 80's Charvel is worth $2500?
I'll sell that bitch today..........

But honestly, I don't understand why a working musician would want to take another guys trademark onto his stage.

When my copy was still in one piece i was too ashamed to take it to a gig. I just didn't feel right about it.

Matt White
09-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Enough time has passed......

I crack up to play mine in public......

Most people under 30 have NO IDEA whose guitar was painted like that.....

Also fun to play country rock tunes with an EVH copy!!!

Cathedral
09-02-2005, 07:31 PM
True, but when mine was operable it was the mid 80's, lol.
EVERYONE knew what and who's it was.

I'm an old fart, that sucks.

ThrillsNSpills
09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

Most people under 30 have NO IDEA whose guitar was painted like that.....

What a sad statement that is.
We are fortunate to be schooled or influenced by old school EVH.

makes me wonder what guitar players inspire kids today.

Matt White
09-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
What a sad statement that is.
We are fortunate to be schooled or influenced by old school EVH.

makes me wonder what guitar players inspire kids today.

LOL BLINK-182!!!

I love warmin' up in front of students....

A little "old School shreddding" & "EVH tapping"....and they look at you like you're from MARS!!!!

Cathedral
09-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey, I'm from Mars!
And when Spammy came marching up here we locked the door and left him standing outside with a bottle of Tequila in one hand, his dick in the other.

Love that quote, Dave oozing with Daveness uh huh, uh huh-uh huh...

Stopped in to Guitar Center a few weeks ago to look at some pedals and noodled some tunes. But when i tapped the volume up just a tad and busted into the first bars of Unchained the young bucks came flockin to learn a little somethin.
But when i segwayed into Little Guitars one dude exuded, "That's Awesome, I gotta remember those chords".

We have the power to educate, we should use that power like the force.

Us: "You want to go home and learn Van Halen songs!"

Kid: "I WANNA GO HOME AND LEARN VAN HALEN SONGS"

Us: "You have no use for Rap or Hip Hop!"

Kid: "I HAVE NO USE FOR RAP OR HIP HOP"

Us: "You want to give me all your money!"

Kid: "NO I DON'T!"

LMMFAO.....................

Jahuli
09-04-2005, 12:25 AM
As beutifull as it is, its much cheaper to make one.
but they do look really good

MAX
09-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Are they still makin' thos "Kramer" Baretta EVH knockoffs via Gibson from a cupla years back?

I have to admit those early 80's basic Barettas were cool. I'm talkin' the ones like Ed used for his "5150" model. They were so basic they were cool. I dug the Explorer headstocks on them before they got all pointed at the end. I still kick myself for not picking up some '84/'85 White Baretta with a maple neck and fretboard in highschool for about $400 bones. :(

MAX
09-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by MAX
I still kick myself for not picking up some '84/'85 White Baretta with a maple neck and fretboard in highschool for about $400 bones. :(

Seriously,

I had a chance to buy a used one almost identical to this except the hardware was chrome and the neck was maple when I was in highschool. I'm still pissed that I never did. :mad:

http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/kramer_baretta_ad_evh.jpg

Matt White
09-06-2005, 01:39 AM
http://www.musicyo.com/brandland.asp?dept_id=1

Here is some KRAMERS 'Millian!!!

MAX
09-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Thanks Taeo and I see the "1984" reissues to which I was yappin' about. They look kind of cheap to me. Isn't the "Kramer" name just now owned by Gibson or something?

Fuck, if I remember correctly, Brett made his "5150" from some smaller company with higher quality products. Fuck, I wish I could remember the company but they make awesome Baretta replicas. You can buy them unfinished as well.

MAX
09-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Are those Charvel Ed things really over $2000? Such bullshit!!! I remember when Ed put out the Ernie Ball's that he was so "proud" to endorse a guitar that wasn't just some striped replica of what he played... :rolleyes:

Those EBMM's were nice axes. I fuckin' wanted one but couldn't afford one back in the early 90's. Never tried a Wolfgang but never cared to either. Sorry but I find them ugly as fuck. Plus, Peaveys were always pieces of shit when I was young. I know they aren't anymore but I just don't dig them at all.

Matt White
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
THe Wolfies aren't pretty....but they ROCK!!!

Best neck I've ever played....great bridge pickup...neck pickup is the BOMB!!!!

Don Corleone
09-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Fuck, if I remember correctly, Brett made his "5150" from some smaller company with higher quality products. Fuck, I wish I could remember the company but they make awesome Baretta replicas. You can buy them unfinished as well.

Frankenstraat makes them from scratch.

Brett
09-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Ed's "5150" wasn't really a Baretta, it was more like a Pacer Special. Barettas had tilted pick-ups, the Pacer Special bodies had one straight humbucker.

Mean Street Guitars is where I bought that replica I made. http://www.meanstreetguitars.com

I have a bunch of old classic Kramers, I didn't want to fuck one of them up if I did a shitty job striping it, so I bought a replica to alter instead.

The EBMM's are incredible guitars (no not that those Axis things, the real thing). Best guitars I've ever owned or played.

Don Corleone
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Frankenstraat makes them from scratch.

A sample of the guys work for those who have not seen it:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21513

MAX
09-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
THe Wolfies aren't pretty....but they ROCK!!!

Best neck I've ever played....great bridge pickup...neck pickup is the BOMB!!!!

Taeo,

One of these days you HAVE to play my '83 Strat. There's something beyond unique about the neck. EVERYONE who's ever touched it (no matter what guitar they play) immediately falls in love with the neck. I cannot explain it? I've had soooooo many offers just for the neck alone for many years. It's fat, I dunno? Just perfect.

Matt White
09-07-2005, 01:20 AM
:D Got the Wolf back in 98( I believe:eek:)...

Neck is WORN in:D

When ever I take it in to get tweaked I tell the dude at the Shop..."Clean that fret board and I'll wring your neck!!!"

It's like a well worn in Ball glove!

PERFECT!!!

MAX
09-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Hear ya Taeo and awesome. :)

Still think those Peaveys are ugly though. :o

Matt White
09-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Hear ya Taeo and awesome. :)

Still think those Peaveys are ugly though. :o

:D Best part is Bro...I wanted the REALLY ugly one!!!

Quick story...Local guitar shop has a black wolfie...sits for months, late 90's no kid interested in EVH...
Same store gets in a MUSTARD YELLOW finish wolf...this is the one I want...get my cash flow together (Better story :D)...walk in to buy the Yellow one...dude standing at the counter with it in his hands...he buys it.....
The KID(me) is a bit let down...but always thinkin'...grabs the sales dude.."How much for the black wolf, man? You've had it for what? A year? What's the best deal you can do for me?"
Listed at $1,699.00...$1,800 with tax.....
He comes back...he came down $789!!!
I paid $1,011.00 out the door! And it had been played ALOT in the year they had it....was broken in already!:D And it's been my #1 guitar since!
DAMN!:D I love it when shit works out!!!:rockit2:

Just goes to show 'ya kids...DON'T be afraid to barter!!!!

MAX
09-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Fuckin' LOVE the dirty neck Taeo!!! :cool:

Now THAT'S what it's all about. :killer:

Nitro Express
09-08-2005, 02:28 AM
I have a 72 Strat with a well worn maple neck. The wear marks on Fender maple necks is the coolest thing in the world. Oh yeah, it's a big fat U shaped neck but thin across the width of the fingerboard. Eddie's guitars have simular necks. I can haul ass on them. I play a 60's styled Gibson neck and it's like someone put the brakes on. I was playing a 61 SG reissue tonight and I couldn't haul ass to save my life. I'll take my Strat, Musicman EVH, or a Peavey Wolfgang anyday, thank you!