PDA

View Full Version : new SPAM interview

guitarboy5150
09-03-2005, 09:27 PM
here are some new interviews with spammy...goin out and dissin eddie again

Jeb: How is playing with the Wabos different than playing with Van Halen?

Sammy: Van Halen is about four individuals own musicianship. Van Halen goes out to exploit the individual musicianship in the band and songs are geared around that. I think Van Halen is really built around their hit songs – this is especially true of the last tour. Even if they were not Top 40 hits and were just album hits, there are certain songs that you just have to do. When you try to throw a new song in with Van Halen, the audience goes quiet on you. I’m serious, we would be up there playing "Poundcake" and everyone would be going nuts and then we would play a new one and the audience would go quiet. People come to see Van Halen for the history of the band and the musicianship.

With my band – now this will sound crazy but I have done it in Cabo way too many times – in my band, it doesn’t matter what songs we play. If I would go out there and play all ZZ Top songs for an hour, it wouldn’t matter; it would still be the same party. My band is all about the way we present the music. They don’t care if I don’t play Van Halen songs and they don’t care if I don’t play Montrose songs. They don’t care if I don’t play "I Can’t Drive 55." Somebody might say, "Aw man he didn’t play ‘One Way to Rock’ tonight" but it ain’t going to mean anything during the show and it ain’t going to mean that they won’t come back. The Wabos are all about the party and the way we present the event. The music is the catalyst.

It is like if you go to a great party and they are playing blues or old soul music or disco or whatever and you don’t give a shit because it is a great party. You just have a good time. I play hits up the ass because I have had plenty of them but we always throw in some crazy stuff. And the jams and the spontaneous stuff are outrageous. We attempt to play songs that we don’t even know, out of the blue, because I feel that particular song should be played right then. Toby Keith has a song called, "I Love This Bar" and he came out and played this with me once. I screwed the thing all up but it didn’t matter. That song has now become a staple in my set because of how many times someone has thrown a cowboy hat up on stage. I put it on and say, "Do I look like Toby? Fuck, if I look like him then I may as well play one of his songs." I would try to do that song and I would fuck it all up, but eventually I learned the song. If that isn’t crazy then I don’t know what it. Who in their right mind learns how to play a song by playing it in front of 14,000 people? That is what the Wabos are about and that is what makes it fun. We are not afraid to show our ass. If Van Halen went out there and made as many mistakes as we do and tried as many spontaneous things as we do that don’t work, then I don’t know what would happen. I am not sure if the fans would come back. They might ask for their money back.

Jeb: You are a person who really does whatever you want to do. You started your own company, you told Van Halen to fuck off, you have made solo albums and you did the Sam & Dave tour. It is really a rare human trait to have that much self confidence.

Sammy: I have to give Van Halen the credit for the self confidence. Back around the time of Standing Hampton, I was very insecure. I thought that everything could be over in about a week. I feared I would have to be back out there trying to find a job. I was not wealthy enough to say who cares at that point. Around the time of VOA I started becoming fearless. I knew I was going to make the album that I wanted to make. I don’t think there is anything wrong with my other records because I happen to think Standing Hampton is one of the best albums to be made during that era. What I am trying to say is that when I made that album, I was insecure and afraid. I was listening to my producer and my A&R guy and they were all going, ‘You have to write more songs like that." So I would go write more songs in the way they wanted. They were honest to goodness songs but I was not being an artist and picking up the brush and painting whatever my heart felt.

By the time I finished VOA, I was about to make that step. Instead of making a new record, I joined Van Halen. When I joined that band, the success exploded and I was on that trip where I did whatever I wanted. I said I would dress how I wanted, write the kind of lyrics I wanted and act on stage how I wanted. I said that if somebody didn’t like it then fuck ‘em. My self confidence started building and building. By the time I left Van Halen, I was fearless. I would do anything and I would try anything. I could care less if I made a record that bombed. How about that? That is when you go, "This is where it is at." It is really where everyone should be because at that point, your art is exposing who and what you really are. Every artist should be doing just that. There are clever businessmen who write songs for money. There is nothing wrong with that but it just means you are doing it for business. It means you are smart and clever and that you can tweak things like lyrics to make them more commercial. I am not downing people like that but that is not being an artist. If I am making a Sammy Hagar record then it has to be about Sammy Hagar and his lifestyle. Cabo Wabo is my lifestyle. I live here and it is what it is – everything is kind of about that. It is about having a couple of shots of tequila before you go on stage and it is about having waitresses bring you drinks while you are playing. It is really about pretending you are on the fucking beach!

Jeb: Sammy, I know your focus is on your solo career and your businesses but I have readers who will kill me if I don’t ask this question. Is Van Halen done?

Sammy: I don’t know. It is right now. They can do whatever they want. If Ed and Al want to get a new singer and a new bass player then they can do whatever they want. I wouldn’t complain and I wouldn’t say that they shouldn’t have done that. What I would say is that I think it is a big mistake to do that. I would never try to run their lives like they do me. They are free to do whatever they want. The way they want to do business and the way they want to mingle with their co-band members and other people who are involved in their organization, I don’t want any part of. I am a very happy guy. I have found a happy life. If their lifestyle could fit in with mine then I would have no problem doing it again. I think it is inevitable.

Honestly, straight up, Eddie has changed a lot. Alex is okay and Mikey and I are best friends. Eddie, for me, is the problem. If you talked to Eddie then I am sure he would tell you that I am the problem. If he doesn’t like my lifestyle then I understand that. He wants to be miserable and I want to be happy – it is really that simple. If Eddie wants to be friends again and not do this just for business or for other kinds of reasons – I really don’t know why he wants to do it. I don’t even know if he even wants to do it. But if he wants to do it and do it for the right reasons and get together on a really good level then I would do it. I thought it was going to be great. I was all for the last reunion and it turned out to be pretty fucking tough finishing that tour out. I have to tell you that there were times on that tour that after a show it was like, "Get Sammy out that door and get Eddie out the other door." That ain’t no way to do things. I am not interested in yelling and screaming at anybody much less having someone yell and scream at me for having fun. It is like, "Hey, get the fuck out of my face, dude." There were too many rules – lets put it like that for me. I was told that I can’t do this or I can’t do that or I can’t say this or I can’t say that. Yet, Eddie can go say and do the shit that he did? No way. Right now, it is over for me but if they want to do it on real terms and with no rules and no business shit then I am fine.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews05/sammyhagar05.htm

zeronumber
09-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Where is the ass clown with the "This thread has been done more times than marah carrie" pic? Oh well.

This is old news...

But Sam's right. The problem is eddie mostly.
But eddie doesn't want to reunite for anybody for any long times.

I guess after being on and off with Dave for 20 years, and having beefs with hagar, then cherone leaving...probably made eddie turn off the idea of reforming van halen, much like dave doesn't want to make a "Band" other than who ever's with him to tour and record.

Sam said once in a vh1 interview about a reunion(before the 2004 reunion).

That, if they could just get in a room together, and just let the past go...Then a reunion could happen.

I'm sure that's the same case with dave. But if the drama has to surface...

It's like being caught between a rock and a hard place. If you got into a fight with a friend...you probably wouldn't want to talk to them or hang out with them. The last thing you want to do, is get it more out of the open, and continue on something for a while. But, sometimes if you don't see somebody for a while, or realise that what you were fighting about was stupid...you could let things go, and be friends agian.

I think that's what happened in 1996...but failed, once dave and eddie started to bring up ego's and past hatred.

bueno bob
09-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by guitarboy5150
here are some new interviews with spammy...goin out and dissin eddie again

Jeb: How is playing with the Wabos different than playing with Van Halen?

Sammy: Van Halen is about four individuals own musicianship.

Or lack thereof...ask Michael Anthony about that...E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E.........

Van Halen goes out to exploit the individual musicianship in the band and songs are geared around that. I think Van Halen is really built around their hit songs – this is especially true of the last tour. Even if they were not Top 40 hits and were just album hits, there are certain songs that you just have to do.

And yet you consistently refuse to do them! :mad:

Or you let the audience sing them because you can't "identify with the music"...

When you try to throw a new song in with Van Halen, the audience goes quiet on you.

Nah, that's just when you try to play anything after 1984...

I’m serious, we would be up there playing "Poundcake" and everyone would be going nuts

A big exaggeration, Sam, I've seen footage of your concept of fans "going nuts" over Poundcake...

and then we would play a new one and the audience would go quiet.

Probably because, the newer the material gets out of you fucks, the worse it sounds. I might be on to something with that, I'll have to ask around a bit.

People come to see Van Halen for the history of the band and the musicianship.

People come to watch the old backup band for David Lee Roth.

With my band – now this will sound crazy but I have done it in Cabo way too many times – in my band, it doesn’t matter what songs we play.

That's because nobody really cares.

If I would go out there and play all ZZ Top songs for an hour, it wouldn’t matter; it would still be the same party.

That's true. Everybody's so fucking sloshed on your overpriced tequila at that point nobody would even notice.

My band is all about the way we present the music. They don’t care if I don’t play Van Halen songs and they don’t care if I don’t play Montrose songs.

Does anybody, though, really?

They don’t care if I don’t play "I Can’t Drive 55."

I think, Sam, you'd be hard pressed to find ANYBODY that does care.

Somebody might say, "Aw man he didn’t play ‘One Way to Rock’ tonight" but it ain’t going to mean anything during the show and it ain’t going to mean that they won’t come back.

Have you looked at your concert attendance stats?

Trust me, they ain't comin' back for another.

The Wabos are all about the party and the way we present the event. The music is the catalyst.

You throw a party.

DAVID is the party.

I thought that had already been established.

It is like if you go to a great party and they are playing blues or old soul music or disco or whatever and you don’t give a shit because it is a great party. You just have a good time. I play hits up the ass because I have had plenty of them

Name me THREE solo Hagar hits. And by HITS, I mean HITS. "I Can't Drive 55" I'll give you as a flash in the pan sort of deal.

I'm waiting for ANYTHING else by Sammy, OUTSIDE of Van Halen, that even made a relative dent in the charts.

Anything.

but we always throw in some crazy stuff. And the jams and the spontaneous stuff are outrageous. We attempt to play songs that we don’t even know, out of the blue, because I feel that particular song should be played right then.

OK, from a musician's standpoint - that's fucking stupid. No wonder you always sound like shit live, then.

Toby Keith has a song called, "I Love This Bar" and he came out and played this with me once. I screwed the thing all up but it didn’t matter.

Not to you, you lazy fuck.

That song has now become a staple in my set because of how many times someone has thrown a cowboy hat up on stage.

Not half as many as the amount of times somebody's throw garbage and beer bottles at you while you've been on stage, I bet...

I put it on and say, "Do I look like Toby? Fuck, if I look like him then I may as well play one of his songs." I would try to do that song and I would fuck it all up, but eventually I learned the song.

Ask Toby about that, he's probably got a different opinion...

If that isn’t crazy then I don’t know what is.

You, Sam. You're a complete fucking wacko.

Who in their right mind learns how to play a song by playing it in front of 14,000 people?

Only non-professional musicians.

That is what the Wabos are about and that is what makes it fun.

No, The Wabos, like you, are about slopping their way through the music and being as fucking lazy as humanly possible.

We are not afraid to show our ass.

I am not afraid to kick it.

If Van Halen went out there and made as many mistakes as we do and tried as many spontaneous things as we do that don’t work, then I don’t know what would happen.

You'd end up with songs like "Up for Breakfast", "Learning to See" and "It's About Time", probably.

I am not sure if the fans would come back.

HAHAHAHA...get David back and we'll see how many TRUE fans Van Halen has left....but no, they won't come back for you, Sammy...

They might ask for their money back.

Fat fuckin' chance of that, hunh?

Jeb: You are a person who really does whatever you want to do. You started your own company, you told Van Halen to fuck off, you have made solo albums and you did the Sam & Dave tour. It is really a rare human trait to have that much self confidence.

Self confidence? I call it whoring ones self, myself, but...

Sammy: I have to give Van Halen the credit for the self confidence. Back around the time of Standing Hampton, I was very insecure. I thought that everything could be over in about a week.

Were there but ANY mercy in this universe...

I feared I would have to be back out there trying to find a job.

You really should have.

I was not wealthy enough to say who cares at that point.

Thank God Van Halen happened for you, hunh? The endless meal ticket...

Around the time of VOA I started becoming fearless. I knew I was going to make the album that I wanted to make. I don’t think there is anything wrong with my other records because I happen to think Standing Hampton is one of the best albums to be made during that era.

One of the best albums of the 80s? Yeah.

What I am trying to say is that when I made that album, I was insecure and afraid. I was listening to my producer and my A&R guy and they were all going, ‘You have to write more songs like that." So I would go write more songs in the way they wanted. They were honest to goodness songs but I was not being an artist and picking up the brush and painting whatever my heart felt.

Not that it really mattered either way, apparently...

By the time I finished VOA, I was about to make that step. Instead of making a new record, I joined Van Halen. When I joined that band, the success exploded and I was on that trip where I did whatever I wanted. I said I would dress how I wanted, write the kind of lyrics I wanted and act on stage how I wanted.

Good thing David laid the groundwork for you to at least attempt to follow. Had you REAL confidence, you'd have just formed a new band, not stepped into the existing success of one.

I said that if somebody didn’t like it then fuck ‘em. My self confidence started building and building. By the time I left Van Halen, I was fearless. I would do anything and I would try anything. I could care less if I made a record that bombed. How about that? That is when you go, "This is where it is at." It is really where everyone should be because at that point, your art is exposing who and what you really are. Every artist should be doing just that.

Then why bother rejoining Van Halen in 2004 if you weren't at all concerned with your solo career being over?

There are clever businessmen who write songs for money.

There are also clever businessmen who join bands for the power and money that goes with the band's name.

There is nothing wrong with that but it just means you are doing it for business. It means you are smart and clever and that you can tweak things like lyrics to make them more commercial.

Really? Isn't it amazing how well promoted and RADIO FRIENDLY Van Halen's music became after you joined, then?

I am not downing people like that but that is not being an artist. If I am making a Sammy Hagar record then it has to be about Sammy Hagar and his lifestyle.

Oh my God.

Cabo Wabo is my lifestyle.

I knew it was coming. Learned how to actually speak Spanish yet?

Shithead.

I live here and it is what it is – everything is kind of about that. It is about having a couple of shots of tequila before you go on stage and it is about having waitresses bring you drinks while you are playing.

In other words, being more concerned about yourself than about your music, your fans, your honesty, et al...

It is really about pretending you are on the fucking beach!

Wasted away again in Sammy Hagarville...

You're not doing anything original, bud.

Jeb: Sammy, I know your focus is on your solo career and your businesses but I have readers who will kill me if I don’t ask this question. Is Van Halen done?

Sammy: I don’t know. It is right now. They can do whatever they want. If Ed and Al want to get a new singer and a new bass player then they can do whatever they want. I wouldn’t complain and I wouldn’t say that they shouldn’t have done that.

You can't fool us, Sam.

Of COURSE you would :)

What I would say is that I think it is a big mistake to do that. I would never try to run their lives like they do me. They are free to do whatever they want. The way they want to do business and the way they want to mingle with their co-band members and other people who are involved in their organization, I don’t want any part of. I am a very happy guy. I have found a happy life. If their lifestyle could fit in with mine then I would have no problem doing it again. I think it is inevitable.

Hahahahahha...didn't you say exactly that about 5 years ago? That it was inevitable? And it worked out SO WELL this time... :rolleyes:

Did you miss the fact that, on a whole, America did NOT MISS VAN HAGAR AT ALL?

I guess you didn't get that memo.

Honestly, straight up, Eddie has changed a lot. Alex is okay and Mikey and I are best friends. Eddie, for me, is the problem. If you talked to Eddie then I am sure he would tell you that I am the problem.

No one talks to Ed.

Besides, Ed only listens to the Loon, anyway.

If he doesn’t like my lifestyle then I understand that. He wants to be miserable and I want to be happy – it is really that simple. If Eddie wants to be friends again and not do this just for business or for other kinds of reasons – I really don’t know why he wants to do it. I don’t even know if he even wants to do it. But if he wants to do it and do it for the right reasons and get together on a really good level then I would do it.

Keep that money rollin', eh?

Yeah, this is a guy who isn't concerned about his financial well-being, sure...

I thought it was going to be great. I was all for the last reunion and it turned out to be pretty fucking tough finishing that tour out. I have to tell you that there were times on that tour that after a show it was like, "Get Sammy out that door and get Eddie out the other door." That ain’t no way to do things. I am not interested in yelling and screaming at anybody much less having someone yell and scream at me for having fun.

It's probably because Ed's as tired of your shit as the rest of us.

Good on him.

It is like, "Hey, get the fuck out of my face, dude." There were too many rules – lets put it like that for me. I was told that I can’t do this or I can’t do that or I can’t say this or I can’t say that. Yet, Eddie can go say and do the shit that he did? No way. Right now, it is over for me but if they want to do it on real terms and with no rules and no business shit then I am fine.

Buh-bye, Sam.

Heads up:

Van Halen, for you, is OVER.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews05/sammyhagar05.htm [/B]

SoldMySoul4RnR
09-04-2005, 03:36 AM
This guys is just unbelieveable!

Words escape me when it comes to Sammy Hagar. They really do!

Nobody with even the slightest element of intelligence in their system could possibly think this guy is good.

DavidLeeNatra
09-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I love it...

Bill Lumbergh
09-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I love how EVERYTHING he's done is his career has been GREAT, according to him. And nice to see him taking a swipe at the morbidly obese housewives and fags that make up the Van Hagar fan base.

Romeo Delight
09-04-2005, 12:52 PM
My favourite part of the interview is where he says "Van Halen can get a new lead singer and bassist if they want"

So what, you two are now a package deal?

Loyalty only goes so far...do you think Mikey is going to pass up tens of millions of dollars if CVH ever reunites to tour with the wabos???

bueno bob
09-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
My favourite part of the interview is where he says "Van Halen can get a new lead singer and bassist if they want"

So what, you two are now a package deal?

Loyalty only goes so far...do you think Mikey is going to pass up tens of millions of dollars if CVH ever reunites to tour with the wabos???

Of course not. If the stars and planets all happened to align in the right fashion and the way becomes clear for the real Van Halen to get back together and tour (at least), Mike will be there with bells on, ready to go...ask him about Sammy and the 50 people a night he plays to with the Wabos and he'll have no idea what you're talking about...

Of course, this will give Sammy every opportunity to bad mouth Van Halen...Mike for betraying him...and David for being the culprit who stole his best friend...aww...

Fuck, it's worth happening just for that alone...

DrMaddVibe
09-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Yawn!

DavidLeeNatra
09-04-2005, 01:38 PM
it's so obvious that sam and ed hate each other's guts deeply...and I cunt say that I feel sorry about that...

Antman
09-04-2005, 08:23 PM
So basically what Sam meant about the Van Halen audience going quiet when they play an album track is that people only want to hear Roth tunes and when they play Van Hagar shit, they get quiet because those songs suck. You think people went quiet on the FW tour when they played Hear About it Later? Or when they played House of Pain on 1984? You get the point.

BrownSound1
09-05-2005, 01:59 AM
I don't ever remember there being a "quiet" time on the CVH shows I saw. But then again, they were so goddamn loud you wouldn't know it if there was. :D

Romeo Delight
09-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I didn't make this up...it is from Sammy's site (redrocker.com)

Funniest part is that it reads identical to our own Samuel Roy Hagar's posts:

To My Fans at the Detroit Show:
I want to say a big thank you for coming out and partying with us all day! Did you feel like you were in Cabo or what? The food, the volleyball, the Sammy-oke, and of course the Cabo Wabo margaritas that's what I call a perfect day.

It's really important to me that you have an awesome experience at my shows, and The Tequila Made Me Do It! in Detroit was a prototype for my future concerts. I want you to feel like you're in Cabo, living the Cabo Wabo life, every time you come to see us.

And another big thanks to Ronnie, Denny and Bill for closing the show with me. Montrose rocks!

Next up: my Birthday Bash. See ya in Cabo. That's the way we live.

Oh yea,

Sammy

P.S. Redheads really do rule!

bueno bob
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Sammy-Oke?

Fuck it, I don't even want to know... :rolleyes:

Unchainme
09-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Watched the unchained Video, its so awesome because they'll do a little cut scene to the crowd and the'll show them try to grab on to Dave, Like This one Blonde chick in the audience was looked like she was about to God Himself. Thats the one thing with CVH, Theyh never gave a Half-Assed Effort like said Van Hagar shows, and they completely blew away any other Band they toured with.

guitarboy5150
09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
sammy hagar tries to get fan appreciation by signing autographs...u dont need that with cvh

Dirty Duck
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
It just makes me FEEL SO GOOD to know that with Sammy bitchin and moanin about Eddie,it shows to the world that Dave NEVER lied and left the band at the right point in time. It's funny to see how Sammy feels about his BEST FRIEND now...when 15 years ago he was ready to settle down with eddie and start a family. Ha ha

Jimmy Jingles
09-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
I didn't make this up...it is from Sammy's site (redrocker.com)

Funniest part is that it reads identical to our own Samuel Roy Hagar's posts:

To My Fags at the Detroit Show:
I want to smoke a big cock with you for coming out and partying with us pussrags all day! Did you feel like you were in anal heaven or what? The food, the ballsacks, the FatSammy-ChokeyOke, and of course the Cabo Wabo Jizzaritas - that's what I call a perfect douche.

It's really important to me that you have an shit eating experience at my shows, and The Cock-In-My-Ass Made Me Do It! in Detroit was a prototype for my future Fuckfests. I want you to hunger for the cock in your Cabo every time you cum to see us.

And another big thanks to Jizzystool and Hitch for closing the show with a Golden Shower. Cocks rocks!

Next up: my 85th Birthday Bash. See ya in Fago. That's the way we live.

Oh yea,

Spammy

P.S. Redheads really do rule da cock!

Vinnie Velvet
09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Of course not. If the stars and planets all happened to align in the right fashion and the way becomes clear for the real Van Halen to get back together and tour (at least), Mike will be there with bells on, ready to go...ask him about Sammy and the 50 people a night he plays to with the Wabos and he'll have no idea what you're talking about...

Of course, this will give Sammy every opportunity to bad mouth Van Halen...Mike for betraying him...and David for being the culprit who stole his best friend...aww...

Fuck, it's worth happening just for that alone...

No kidding.

That's exactly what would happen.

Sam would be pissed if Mikey went off and did a CVH reunion with Dave, Ed and Al.

He'd be crying RED, for sure!

:D

m_dixon1984
09-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by guitarboy5150
... When you try to throw a new song in with Van Halen, the audience goes quiet on you. I’m serious, we would be up there playing "Poundcake" and everyone would be going nuts and then we would play a new one and the audience would go quiet...

...and then he should have added...

...but when I play "When Eagles Fly" the audience leaves to take a piss or to get more beer. I'm the muzak during the intermission.

M