PDA

View Full Version : Splawn Guitars and Amps!

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Click here! (http://www.splawnguitars.com/sound_clips.htm)

Check out the sound clips of Al Estrada...

http://www.splawnguitars.com/images/Aljumpsm.jpg

This may be my next purchase...

http://www.splawnguitars.com/images/quickrodpurpsilfrtsm.jpg

:elvis:

Cathedral
09-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Hmmmmm, Al has the chops but lacks the warmth that makes his act feel genuine.

The singer lacks any Rothness i would recognize.

The Bass Player needs a friend to tell him about Trim-Spa.

And the drummer...well, he's a drummer, nuff said, lmmfao.

But the amp sounds cool, a little tinny judging from the sound clips but i'd like to run through one and test drive it myself.

Thanks for the heads up, brother!

Jim

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Definately not as warm as the brown sound, but similar...

I might send one of my Marshalls off to them to get their treatment...

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 04:36 PM
BTW, the singer sucks...

BrownSound1
09-10-2005, 01:22 AM
The amp does sound tinny...could be several things causing that. I'm going to blame it on the amp having an "overdrive" channel. If you get your distortion from your preamp instead of your power amp...well that's the sound you are going to get. Hell, just buy a Hotplate or some other good attenuator and crank the volume wide ass open.

ELVIS
09-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I have one...

BrownSound1
09-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Well then you're already there, my brotha. :D What amp do you run Elvis?

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 02:51 AM
I have a '73 Super Lead, a '69 Super Bass, and a Late 90's purple tolex Super Lead...

BrownSound1
09-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd mod the late '90's Super Lead with a point to point board and change out the output transformer. Does the '73 have a PCB or a turret board?

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I used to be familiar, which is which, one is green, right ?

From some of the research and reading I've done, the newer amps can be made to sound identical to a point to point board amp...

I was thinking about having Splawn do their mods on my Purple amp and also cut come of the high's out of the eq circuit...

I don't care for the super high end of most Super Leads...

You should hear my Super Bass. It has a very low plate voltage, less than 450, It's not half as loud as my '73, but it just sounds GRATE

BrownSound1
09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
A lot of problems with newer Super Leads is from the shitty output transformer that Marshall puts in them. They are nowhere near the spec of the originals. Mercury Magnetics makes great transformers and chokes..I would certainly look into getting a new output transformer.

The PCB will have traces and the parts will be mounted to through holes. They are usually a greenish color due to the solder mask that covers the copper runs. Turret boards have the components hardwired to each other via turrets, and connections are made by running wires where needed.

There are countless mods you can do to your Reissue. However, I would still recommend changing to a turret board because it makes modding it much, much easier, and you don't have to worry about lifting a pad when soldering.

Changing the bright cap on the volume can get rid of some of that shrillness...of course if you are running wide open, it kind of drops out of the circuit.

I'd love to hear the Super Bass...always loved those.

Big Troubles
09-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
BTW, the singer sucks...

lol no shit. First thing I thought.

GAR
09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Definately not as warm as the brown sound, but similar...

I might send one of my Marshalls off to them to get their treatment...

4 added gain stages, for $350.00, and they appear to know what they are doing?

Sounds like one helluva deal. I won't do mods, no time for it and too much headache.

I'd offer a board-kit for this in the future if the guys who wanted it were skilled enough with the tools to do the required drilling and cutting of the chassis properly.