• Jul 2004

Iran's interesting take on The Saddam Trial

Iran & Iranian Latest News
    Persian Journal

Up to the minute Iran news from around the world, including within Iran

Saddam's Trial of Convenience
    Sep 11, 2005
    Amir Nasseri - Persian Journal

Saddam Hussein's day of reckoning is fast approaching. He is to stand trial for his brutal suppression of the Shiites in the South, and maybe of the Kurds in the North.

There is no question that he must answer for his war crimes against his people. He should be held accountable for every life he took; each life was equally important. It is therefore perplexing that there is no mention so far of his crimes against the Iranian people. His unilateral invasion and instigation of the Iran-Iraq war resulted in the death of over a million innocent lives. He repeatedly used chemical weapons against the Iranian military. Therefore, although he committed gruesome crimes against the Iraqi Shiites and Kurds, from a numerical perspective, they pale in comparison to what he did to the Iranians.

So why are his war crimes against Iran swept under the rug? Could it be because Saddam did not act entirely alone in these particular crimes? Could it be that the European nations and the US were the ones who provided him with the chemical weapons knowing full well that he would use them against Iran? Could it be that the US was covertly supplying Saddam military intelligence and guidance during his 8 year slaughter of Iranians as a means of Iranian containment? Could it be that a trial of Saddam for such crimes would indirectly also be a trial of the West's policies and involvement in these crimes?

Indeed, justice and accountability are only pursued by the powerful only selectively, and when politically convenient. When there is a chance that a just pursuit can potentially reflect back and implicate them, that particular justice suddenly loses its appeal and is quickly abandoned.

Of course we can again thank the ever beneficent mullah regime for having inflamed the West to the point of them adopting a policy which had no regard for Iranians, so long as Iran's government was contained. Nevertheless, there is no excuse for such Western policies which had no regard for human lives.

What is even more shocking is the brotherly hand that the Iranian government is now extending to their Moslem neighbors in Iraq. The same people who were gassing Iranians and bombarding Iranian cities just 17 years ago are now our brothers? Granted, peace and good relations are always welcome, and every nation must heal its wounds and let go of any grudges in order to prosper. However, at least wait till the blood of the fallen has dried, and the maimed veterans have grown a little older. How quickly policies and chants change, when it becomes politically convenient to utilize an old enemy like Iraq as a thorn in the side of an eternal enemy like the US.

Unfortunately, we live in a world dominated and driven by political agendas, and not the pursuit of justice or the elimination of human suffering.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Cathedral
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

"You can't try him for those crimes without trying those who provided the weapons right next to him."

I was told this by a Morrocan a few months ago, sad to say it but he's right.
    Saddam will either walk or be assassinated before hand, there will be no conviction or death sentence for him.

Iran better be more worried about our new Premptive-Nuke Strike policy at this point anyway.
    That ruffles quite a few feathers i'm afraid...
    North Korea will take it as an act of War, etc. etc...

It's posturing for the day our sat's send down pictures of a bomb being moved around, then **BOOM**...lights out for them!

I'm actually anxious for '08 to get here...

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

I have no objections to Rummy, Cheney, and Poppy being tried as co-defendants with Saddam.

The only bad news there is that they can't link Junior to the gassings. However, the Iraqi people would certainly have enough just cause to try him as a war criminal based on this invasion and occupation, and the fact that it was based on lies.
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Re: Iran's interesting take on The Saddam Trial

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
        Could it be that the European nations and the US were the ones who provided him with the chemical weapons knowing full well that he would use them against Iran? Could it be that the US was covertly supplying Saddam military intelligence and guidance during his 8 year slaughter of Iranians as a means of Iranian containment?
        Too bad we didn't give the Ireqi's a few nukes to use against these people if that's the way they feel about it.

Fuck 'em.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...