• Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

American Patriot Anti-War mother Sheehan arrested near White House

(Adds detail, updates throughout)

By Deborah Zabarenko

WASHINGTON, Sept 26 (Reuters) - U.S. military mother Cindy Sheehan, whose vigil outside President George W. Bush's Texas ranch drew attention to the anti-war movement, was arrested on Monday at a White House sit-in after she refused to obey police orders to leave.

Sheehan, whose son Casey was killed in combat in Iraq last year, was one of some 200 protesters who sat in circles on the sidewalk along the White House compound's northern edge, purposely courting arrest. Hundreds more rallied in Lafayette Park, across Pennsylvania Avenue from the executive mansion.

Sheehan was the first of several dozen to be taken into custody, said Bill Dobbs, a spokesman for the group United for Peace and Justice, an anti-war coalition involved in the demonstration.

The crowd, which had earlier swarmed around Sheehan in support, booed the police vans meant to hold detainees and chanted "The whole world's watching" as arrests proceeded.

Those arrested were charged by the U.S. Park Police with demonstrating without a permit, a misdemeanor that carries a $50 fine.

Other slogans ranged from "Mothers say no to war" and "Liar, liar, Iraq's on fire" to "War is terrorism with a bigger budget."

"It's a very powerful protest to tell the Bush administration to end the war in Iraq," Dobbs said.

INSIDE THE GATES

Inside the White House, presidential spokesman Scott McClellan parried questions about the protest going on just beyond the gates.

Bush is "very much aware of the people here who have come to Washington, D.C., some to express support for the steps that we're taking and a number of others that have expressed a different view," McClellan said. "It's the right of the American people to peacefully express their views."

Sheehan camped out for much of August outside Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, demanding a meeting with the president. Bush, who met with Sheehan in 2004 after her son was killed, refused to meet with her a second time, but her rallies there drew hundreds of people.

Monday's protests were part of three days of anti-war actions in Washington, including a demonstration on Saturday that drew more than 100,000 people.

Earlier on Monday, 41 people were arrested by Pentagon Force Protection Agency police during an anti-war protest outside the huge U.S. military headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, said Pentagon spokeswoman Cheryl Irwin.

The protest took place outside the Pentagon subway train stop used by thousands of commuters and Pentagon employees daily and near a main entrance to the building.

Irwin said the protesters were charged with disorderly conduct and impeding the entering and exiting of the Pentagon, taken to a processing facility and released with court dates. (Additional reporting by Will Dunham)

Thomson Reuters empowers professionals with cutting-edge technology solutions informed by industry-leading content and expertise.
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

200 protestors. Looks like this might have some legs, eh?

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

On that note, yes. Iraq needs to fucking end, period. Pull out and send them the money to rebuild. Nothing left to be gained from it.

On the second note, I don't think Bush needs to meet with her again. Her son didn't get his fucking arm twisted into joining the military. Nobody held a gun up to his head and forced him to sign the paperwork. America, truth be told, can go into war with anybody at any time and for any reason, and odds are good that you could be killed in it. That's service life, period.

Any complaints that her son didn't know the risks (meaning injury and/or death) while in service of the U.S. Military are bullshit and so far as I'm concerned should fall on deaf ears. He did his job, and God bless him for it, and that's it.

Just the way I see it.
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Quit hiding, you chickenshit chimp!
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

I'm no Bush fan by any stretch of imagination, but what is there possibly left to say to this woman about her son? His did his duty, yes. He knew the risks when joining up - unless he thought it was going to be a free ride into college and that the military didn't actually do war-stuff, that was all hogwash and nonsense...stuff they do in movies only...if he believed that, if he'd been convinced of that, it might be a different matter, but I don't think there were any real misrepresentations made on that part.

The war is not justified, Iraq is not justified - no arguing that. But why does this woman keep demanding more meetings with GW? There's nothing left to say on the matter. He met with her once, which is a lot more than what most parents get when their kid is killed in action. The usual is a "We're sorry to inform you" letter, not personal meetings with the CIC.

Were I President, I'd refuse to meet further with her myself, too.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Who's putting up the money for her hotel and meal expenses?

Is she independently wealthy?

I'd like to take a few months off to protest things myself, but I have to work for a living.

I guess liberals can do these sorts of things.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham
              Who's putting up the money for her hotel and meal expenses?

Is she independently wealthy?

I'd like to take a few months off to protest things myself, but I have to work for a living.

I guess liberals can do these sorts of things.
              Honestly, that is a good question...who's covering the costs of living for her, anyway? Those bills just don't go away...hmm.
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                Honestly, that is a good question...who's covering the costs of living for her, anyway? Those bills just don't go away...hmm.
                ...She stated on 'Real Time w/Bill Maher' a couple of weeks ago that she isn't getting any support, and was already thousands in the hole....
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                  ...She stated on 'Real Time w/Bill Maher' a couple of weeks ago that she isn't getting any support, and was already thousands in the hole....
                  Bullshit.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Cathedral
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

If i were Bush i'd go on the tele and answer her question so she'll shut the fuck up.
                    bueno nailed it, he joined of his own free will and if he had any ideas that he could not be sent to war he falls in line with the kind of soldier who we don't need.

I tried like hell to get in the army to serve my country and i knew full well what that meant, and i was ready for it whatever happened.

If i had been accepted and been killed in a war I would absolutely NOT want my mother denegrating my service by doing what Cindy Sheehan is doing.

He did his job and should be remembered and respected for that.
                    His mother is taking that away from him as if she is ashamed of his service.
                    Whether you support this war or not you have to understand that they go where they are sent.
                    if you don't want to be in a war, don't join the armed forces, it's really that simple.
                    Mom, stay out of it and go home.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
                      I believe Moveon.org is supporting her....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

The White House security police will probably give the bitch a cavity search with a back hoe tractor.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...