ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

DeLay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe

Sep 28 12:42 PM US/Eastern

By LARRY MARGASAK
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, an indictment that could force him to step down as House majority leader.

DeLay attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

The indictment against the second-ranking, and most assertive Republican leader came on the final day of the grand jury's term. It followed earlier indictments of a state political action committee founded by DeLay and three of his political associates.

The grand jury action is expected to have immediate consequences in the House, where DeLay is largely responsible for winning passage of the Republican legislative program. House Republican Party rules require leaders who are indicted to temporarily step aside from their leadership posts.

However, DeLay retains his seat representing Texas' 22nd congressional district, suburbs southwest of Houston.

DeLay has denied committing any crime and accused the Democratic district attorney leading the investigation, Ronnie Earle, of pursuing the case for political motives.

Democrats have kept up a crescendo of criticism of DeLay's ethics, citing three times last year that the House ethics committee admonished DeLay for his conduct.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistribute
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

September 28, 2005
    DeLay Is Charged With Criminal Conspiracy in Texas
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 1:24 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

''I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today,'' DeLay said.

The White House, meanwhile, called DeLay a ''good ally,'' and said President Bush still considered DeLay a friend and effective leader in Congress.

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

Criminal conspiracy is a state felony punishable by six months to two years in a state jail and a fine of up to $10,000. The potential two-year sentence forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.

At the White House, press secretary Scott McClellan said the president still considers DeLay ''a good ally, a leader who we have worked closely with to get things done for the American people.''

''I think the president's view is that we need to let the legal process work,'' McClellan said.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

**.....and suddenly silence filled the room, with the Busheep unable to comprehend the fact that the front lines of the BCE had finally been breached.....**
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Well of course Chimp considers DeLay a good ally...

Chimp is a SERIOUS criminal, and should be harged with high treason.

Birds of a feather....

Comment

• Steve Savicki
          • Jan 2004

Is this the face of a true coward?
          <center></center>
          sigpic

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I just heard this--I guess in a nut shell it's money laundering (to evade TEXAS campaign finance laws)...Ooof!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO !!!!!

Praise Jesus
              Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Shame, shame Tom.

I guess Jim Wright doesn't look so bad after all.

Comment

• Cathedral
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

I hope they fry his ass in Hot Oil, he's a real sack of shit in my opinion.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Never liked him...

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Not many do, or ever did.
                      That dude is shady from the word, go.

His opinion on legal guardianship pissed me off really really bad.

My money is on him being convicted, Earle's gonna fry him.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

His opinion on legal guardianship pissed me off really really bad.

It was also total hypocrisy, considering it's the exact opposite of the position he had when his own father was in a vegetative state.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Buh Bye....

What comes around, goes around...

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            It was also total hypocrisy, considering it's the exact opposite of the position he had when his own father was in a vegetative state.

Oh hell yeah it was, and it jarred the hell out of me when i heard him trample on Michael Schiavo's legal right's.

No matter what the media hyped about him, nobody knew any real facts and therefore had no right to judge him any more than any of you or he could judge me.

The facts were unclear and the allegations were unproven, but if it were a public square type of thing, his ass would have been hanged regardless.

I don't know about you, but I see a huge fucking problem with that shit.
                            That is NOT American in any way, and that should have scared the hell out of every American alive.

But as usual, it spiraled right into a left vs. right partisan finger pointing excercise that took the focus off of what they were really doing.
                            Guilty until proven innocent, you can't tell me otherwise.
                            So now it's DeLay's ass in the sling so why not apply the same guidlines to him?

Because the burdon of proof falls on the accuser, the accused doesn't have to prove a damn thing in a court, that's the law.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Re: DeLay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe

Originally posted by FORD
                              Sep 28 12:42 PM US/Eastern
                              This is very gratifying to me.

You should have seen him squirm on Hannity and Colmes last night.
                              gnaw on it

Comment

Working...