X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctor roth
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2005

Is CVH and dave beyond reproach ??

Having an argument with a friend and fellow CVH fan. don't know if this has been discussed before. My friend Says that there was never a weak moment on any CVH album nor has dave ever released an album that has a single bad moment on it.

I kinda think this sorta attitude is the same as eddie sheep, who follow and love everything he does regardless of its merits.

I've always said that there are weak moments on CVH albums (very few) and that some are better albums than others because of this. I also think dave did some suspect stuff in latter days. Not saying im right or wrong just interested in some other VH educated peoples opinions.......If ya think there are weak moments, what are they ??
    Last edited by doctor roth; 09-29-2005, 03:55 AM.
  • ace diamond
    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

"your filthy little mouth" has a few good examples
    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• Dutch
      Groupie
      • Feb 2004

It's hard for me to really pinpoint weak moments throughout Classic Van Halen's tenure. Damn near flawless creations, in my opinion.

As for Dave's solo trek, it seems to have lacked level headed direction. Serious highpoints with some head-scratching forays of bad judgment ("Skyscraper" the song, for one).

Comment

• Dirty Duck
        Sniper
        • Aug 2005

I love Classic VH and I love Dave solo...but even I know that Dave's music has some weak points...Your Filthy Little Mouth was one (even though I do like it) and not all the vocals on DLR BAND are good. But when you're a fan...you're a fan..

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
          Veteran
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dutch
          It's hard for me to really pinpoint weak moments throughout Classic Van Halen's tenure. Damn near flawless creations, in my opinion.

As for Dave's solo trek, it seems to have lacked level headed direction. Serious highpoints with some head-scratching forays of bad judgment ("Skyscraper" the song, for one).

Same here...If CVH had a weak moment it would be Dancing In The Street...but thats cool with me.

As far as solo, he started taking chances with new directions with YFLM (which I LOVE) but there are only a very few solo tunes I don't really like.

Stand Up (the chorus)

Skyscraper

Sensible Shoes (although many love it)

Everybodys Got The Monkey

Not too bad considering working with different musicians/writers all the time though.

And speaking of CVH as flawless...I believe EEAS is too.

Comment

• John Holmes

It's not about being sheeps, the CVH albums were simply masterpieces.

I'd say a couple of low moments are on Diver Down, maybe. It's the album I like the least.

Comment

• Wonder Twins
              Roadie
              • May 2005

I would agree CVH is as flawless as could be. I mean most songs cook from start to finish. I think Diver DOwn had some suspect stuff on it. I think YFLM without a doubt had some weak stuff on it. All in All you can listen to every CVH CD from Start to Finish and not be compelled to fast forward. For me, that means CVH is Fucking Ultimate.

Comment

• thome
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Mar 2005

By DOWN do you all mean Low Quality or You find it Crap.

I like the whole Book the Stuff thats Diff is My Favorite part.

I totally dig the Travis Tritt Duet Dave never misses w me.

I find two maybe three songs on most things i buy great.

Dark Side of The Moon all of it Excellent very little else is
                whole album respected by me Dave is just fun to listen too
                even when hes being serious.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Back when they were still fresh, would listen to CVH albums start to finish.

Nowadays, tend to skip around here and there:

Van Halen-Still listen to this one from beginning to end.

Van Halen 2-tend to skip Dance The Night Away nowadays

Women And Children First-Sometimes skip And The Cradle Will Rock

Fair Warning-Start to finish. Even Sunday Afternoon In The Park and One Foot Out The Door. Have read many posts where people say they don't care for those two, but for me the album isn't complete without it.

Diver Down- About the only tracks off of this I listen to now are Hang 'Em High, Secrets, The Full Bug and Big Bad Bill

1984-Only tunes that get spin time are Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain

For the tracks I skip, some of them are just because of sheer overplay on the radio (the Stairway To Heaven syndrome), but I suppose some of them are because I'm not in that frame of mind to listen to them these days.

DLR's solo stuff is kind of a mixed bag for me.

EEAS, Skyscraper and ALAE I tend to do start to finish. YFLM I skip around on a lot. DLR Band is a start to finish CD, without a doubt. Diamond Dave I'm still not all that thrilled with.

Suppose I don't necessarily consider every bit of music released from CVH and DLR as being 100% phenominal. Can't think of any artist I'm partial to where EVERYTHING they did was phenominal. But the test of a great band for me is where the vast majority of what they did strikes me as excellent, or at the very least smacks of character and effort on the tracks that don't rock my world. CVH and Roth solo meet those standards with ease.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

CLASSIC DAVID LEE ROTH era VAN HALEN IS FLAWLESS

Comment

• doctor roth
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jun 2005

This is really interesting. I actually really like diver down. secrets and little guitars are a perfect example of how versatile CVH could be.

The stuff i kinda dislike is: One foot out the door. Apart from that song fair warning is mind blowing, love it. 'Ill wait ain't my favorite either

The sheep comment, for for you John Holms is more of a reference to daves solo work. don't get me wrong i really dig material on all of his albums, and not just the rock n roll stuff. Its just that some stuff ain't as good as others. This is of course musically speaking. Daves wit and insight only get better with age ( my favourite rothism is off YFLM, big train).

i've always wondered why songs off the demos like big trouble, she's the woman etc etc never made appearances. I cant fault VH 1 and 2 in any way they are PERFECT. But some of the demo stuff would have been alot better than songs like one foot out the door, and maybe one cover off diver down (pretty woman for example cause i love where have all the good times gone). When listening to ill wait i get the impression that ed was trying to re invent the wheel a little bit. And this, as music history has shown us has ruined bands. Examples being metallica, ZZtop (legs sucks) etc etc. It really sucks when bands fuck with a winning formula. Angus young was interviewed a while ago and was posed the statement that ACDC had released the same album 12 times. Angus responded by saying 'i thought it was more like 14". LOL. AC DC know why people love em and they don't fuck with what works. I think this is one of the reasons they have such longevity in the music business.

Over to you people..........
                      Last edited by doctor roth; 09-30-2005, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• thome
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Mar 2005

Terry i dig your statement seems to me your no thru with certain tunes
                        (that you skip) its just your slightly burrned out on them.

And like me looking for fresh material, we may never see.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by thome
                          Terry i dig your statement seems to me your no thru with certain tunes
                          (that you skip) its just your slightly burrned out on them.

And like me looking for fresh material, we may never see.
                          Think that is correct to a degree.

Have to admit that there are a couple CVH tunes that never did it for me from the get-go (Jump, I'll Wait, Dancing In The Streets), and some that I was marginal on even when they were new (Where Have All The Good Times Gone, Pretty Woman). Not to say I think any of those flat-out suck through and through, because I don't. But none of them would find their way onto a Best Of VH if I were choosing the setlist, being that there is a difference between greatest hits and best of.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
                            If CVH had a weak moment it would be Dancing In The Street...but thats cool with me.

And you consider yourself a Dave fan ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wonder Twins
                              I think Diver DOwn had some suspect stuff on it.
                              Like what, Wonder Breath ?

Please elaborate...

Comment

Working...