X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve
    Sniper
    • Feb 2004

Bush Joke About WMDs Criticised

This jerk in the White House needs to go back to what he does best - kegstands.

Top Stories - Chicago Tribune

Bush criticized for gags about weapons search
    By Frank James Washington Bureau

Democratic critics and some family members of soldiers serving in Iraq ( news -web sites ) took President Bush ( news -web sites ) to task Thursday for his jokes at a black-tie dinner about the fruitless search for weapons of mass destruction.

The jokes came at Wednesday night's annual Radio and Television Correspondents Association dinner. In a 10-minute, mostly puckish, self-deprecating speech, the president presented a slide show he called "an election year, White House photo album."

In several photos, he appeared to be searching the Oval Office. A photo of Bush looking under a piece of furniture was flashed on the large projection screens in the ballroom.

"Those weapons of mass destruction got to be here somewhere," Bush said in his narration, drawing laughter from the audience of journalists, politicians, government workers and other guests.

Another photo showed him looking through a window. "Nope, no weapons over there," the president said.

"I'm appalled," said Larry Syverson of Richmond, Va., who has a son serving with the Army in Iraq and another who recently returned after serving in the Tikrit area. Syverson read news accounts of the event.

"I think it's in extremely poor taste," he said. "I think he owes an apology to those families who have lost loved ones there and those of us that are going through the dread every day having a son or daughter in Iraq."

Syverson recalled the displeasure many military families felt with Bush after he appeared last year to be daring Iraqi insurgents to attack U.S. troops by saying "Bring it on."

"Now he pokes fun at the reason that he told us [soldiers] went over there. I think it's extremely callous."

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan defended the president. "There is no question about the seriousness about which the president approaches this issue" of the Iraq war, she said.

At such dinners, mainstays of the Washington social circuit, presidents traditionally poke fun at themselves and that's all Bush was doing, she said.

She added that the president ended his speech on a serious note with a "very moving tribute to the men and women of the military in which he expressed appreciation for their keeping our nation safe."

But Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who watched the dinner on television, echoed other critics when he said he wasn't amused.

"I didn't see the humor in it," Durbin said. "I don't think there's anything humorous about the American people being misled about the reasons for going to war."

Asked if Bush should apologize, Durbin said he need not go that far. But the joke "was in bad taste," he said.

Sen. John Kerry ( news -web sites ) of Massachusetts, the presumptive Democratic nominee, also took Bush to task.

"If George Bush thinks his deceptive rationale for going to war is a laughing matter, then he's even more out of touch than we thought," his campaign said in a statement.

_

Questions about the propriety of Bush's comedy routine were even raised Thursday at a Pentagon ( news -web sites ) briefing. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was asked whether the president and many of the journalists at the dinner erred by treating the issue of weapons of mass destruction so lightly.

"So my question," a reporter said, "... both for the president, with respect, and for the news media--is it appropriate to make a joke ... about the hunt for weapons of mass destruction, when both [the president and Rumsfeld] were involved in the difficult issue of sending troops to war for that hunt? And did the news media also blow it by sitting there and laughing?"

Rumsfeld replied: "I wasn't there . . . and I just am not in a position to be judgmental about that."
    Last edited by steve; 03-26-2004, 07:54 PM.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So does this mean it's now OK to joke about Pickles' vehicular homicide?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

Yes. Today there doesn't seem to be an official time limit on making fun of, or joking about such things that would otherwise be in poor taste. Im sorry to say, another American Trait.
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

You're like another Diamond Den...

Only not as bright...

Comment

• Big Troubles
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Feb 2004

Im in every way like anyone else. But definately brighter Elvis.
          Your "pop in" opinions are starting to bore me. You cutting down on the crack and doughnuts?
          "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Since when is Heineken a Canadian beer?

And if there's a Guinness cooler like that, I'll take one
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

boo hoo
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Oversensitive.

I think his 'Bring it on' line was 10 times more offensive especially coming from a draft dodging coward.

Cheers!

Comment

• lucky wilbury

a little late but lets hear the same complaints people. now you can't call it funny saying a sitting vp shot be assisnated. what makes even less funny coming from kerry is that he was hanging out at meeting where they talked about killing congressmen. some of those same people now work for kerry.

Matt Drudge is an Internet journalist and muckraker. Drudge's web site, Drudge Report (begun in 1994), consists primarily of links to stories about politics, entertainment, and various current events, and to many popular columnists, although Drudge occasionally authors a story of his own. Drudge started his website on a 486 computer from an apartment in Hollywood, California.

FLASHBACK: KERRY JOKES ABOUT 'ASSASSINATIONS'
                  Thu Mar 25 2004 17:45:05 ET

Dem presidential candidate John Kerry lashed out at President Bush over self-deprecating jokes made at this year's Radio and Television Correspondents' Dinner.

But Kerry himself has had trouble with pushing the humor envelope.

"Somebody told me the other day that the Secret Service has orders that if George Bush is shot, they're to shoot Quayle," Kerry joked in 1988. The Massachusetts Democrat then said, "There isn't any press here, is there?"

Comment

• Dr. Love
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

LOL!! "There isn't any press here, is there?"

Awesome.
                    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

The better question is "What hasn't Bush been criticized on???"

Remember Dean faulting the Prez for the mad cow outbreak?

I'm pretty sure the libs think he had something to do with that missing girl in Wisconsin too.

Comment

Working...